• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Another day, another tweet.

This tweet confirms that they have multi-language support planned with English and Chinese language options being a certainty.

Other languages are yet to be determined.

They plan to release the digital version worldwide but, they have not decided about a physical release yet.

I know they won't say it, but hopefully they don't go with Nicalis again as publishing partner...

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
It was an extremely rushed one-man port of the Vita version, basically. Given the extremely quick turnaround, it's a wonder that's the only real issue.

Goddamn, poor sod D: Must've been immediately profitable at least

Durante did make a mod to put in higher resolutions, though unfortunately it doesn't work on the latest version (in which they added, of all things, VR support!)

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Yoooo that screenshot looks so good! Such a nicer art style than Sayonara (which i still really enjoyed tho).
What's up with those hunger and thirst meters tho??

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I know they won't say it, but hopefully they don't go with Nicalis again as publishing partner...
If they just went with Nicalis for the physical release that might be fine, they do nice packaging. Success doing the global digital release shouldn't be a problem since Nintendo relaxed their publishing guidelines, lots of JP pubs are doing direct foreign releases now (Poisoft, Silverstar, ITL, Zerodiv, etc).

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
My hope is they go with Dispatch Games, the publisher that's handling their other Switch game, Psyvariar Delta. They've published a few very niche games on behalf of City Connection and I'm pleased with their work.

Oct 26, 2017
If they just went with Nicalis for the physical release that might be fine, they do nice packaging. Success doing the global digital release shouldn't be a problem since Nintendo relaxed their publishing guidelines, lots of JP pubs are doing direct foreign releases now (Poisoft, Silverstar, ITL, Zerodiv, etc).

That's nifty, problem is I think a JP-publisher trying to self-localize has had issues with quality. It's understandable a JP-company trying to do an English translation in-house might result in hiccups (not being their native language of course), but I've seen typos and whatnot be a bit too common in such instances (I think Poisoft is one that falls in this category, Flyhigh isn't perfect either). Some do it fantastically like Inti-Creates though.

Hope Success can find... success in their first go. :P

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
That's nifty, problem is I think a JP-publisher trying to self-localize has had issues with quality. It's understandable a JP-company trying to do an English translation in-house might result in hiccups (not being their native language of course), but I've seen typos and whatnot be a bit too common in such instances (I think Poisoft is one that falls in this category, Flyhigh isn't perfect either). Some do it fantastically like Inti-Creates though.

Hope Success can find... success in their first go. :P
Inticreates has native english speakers on staff and they seem to work with 8-4 and Wayforward a lot so those connections likely help. Some JP studios are just doing machine or no translations, lol.

Success has been around forever, they even worked on PCE, SFC and Megadrive games, so hopefully this won't be totally new for them.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Sorry, I just can't stand how Nicalis only do US releases nowadays, and promote themselves over the developer (as seen with Blade Strangers, Cave Story, etc).
They're just not a good publisher, as good their physical releases (that would be overpriced without the bonuses) might look.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, I just can't stand how Nicalis only do US releases nowadays, and promote themselves over the developer (as seen with Blade Strangers, Cave Story, etc).
They're just not a good publisher, as good their physical releases (that would be overpriced without the bonuses) might look.
I can understand with Cave Story. They were the dev on every Cave Story port they did (Wii, DSi, Steam, 3DS, Switch) and they did all the new "16bit" assets, extra areas, complete 3D remake and remixed audio themselves. I believe they actually bought the game and IP from Pixel, he's not really involved anymore afaik?

I wasn't aware they only did US physicals though, that is an issue.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
New artwork!

DnWMSYDVsAAteMC

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
I like this cute approach more,
simply because imo Umihara isn't a very interesting designed character to begin with.
maybe this direction is more fit for the game.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, been waiting for this since they originally announced the plans to make it. So happy that the series is not over with Sayonara (despite the name).

In actuality she was never really a small kid, since the first game they said her age is supposed to be 19 (20 in Sayonara), the bigger bust was more of a change in Kondo's art style (more than likely to appeal to the perverted otaku crowd).

Artbook for the first game:

umihara-kawase-artbook-cover.png
Dont know how i never saw this comment, that makes sense haha

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017

Not much here, just time attack related for the TGS booth from tomorrow.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017

Looks like the booth is being set-up.

TGS starts tomorrow.

Edit: It's actually ready.

You can see a few details on the screens and on the wall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017

Umihara Kawase Fresh! Will be streamed by 4Gamer tomorrow from 15:00 (JST) on the first day of TGS.

That's 6am for GMT
11pm PDT
2am EDT

Link to the stream:

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So if I am to understand, there are currently three of these games and they are all on Steam?

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
So if I am to understand, there are currently three of these games and they are all on Steam?

Yes, the easiest way currently is to buy them on Steam, link: https://store.steampowered.com/sub/85452/

Sayonara UmiharaKawase released on 3DS and Vita but I don't know if it's not possible to still buy them digitally because the publisher for the game Agatsuma went bankrupt which caused the games to get delisted.

Meanwhile, Degica is the publisher for the Steam versions.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the easiest way currently is to buy them on Steam, link: https://store.steampowered.com/sub/85452/

Sayonara UmiharaKawase released on 3DS and Vita but I don't know if it's not possible to still buy them digitally because the publisher for the game Agatsuma went bankrupt which caused the games to get delisted.

Meanwhile, Degica is the publisher for the Steam versions.
3DS version was published by Natsume in the West, so it's still OK.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this looks adorable and very pretty, quite the step up coming from the last game. Can't wait to see it in motion.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this looks adorable and very pretty, quite the step up coming from the last game. Can't wait to see it in motion.

It was just streamed one hour ago: https://www.resetera.com/posts/12825168/

I only saw a quick peek since I can't watch the stream now but as expected from Success saying so, it's running on the same engine as Sayonara UmiharaKawase (Rubber Engine) but the artstyle of Fresh! makes it look better.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

Less than 3 hours left for the stream to start.

Meanwhile, go to Gematsu for streams for other things happening at TGS: https://gematsu.com/2018/09/tgs-2018-live-stream-schedule

Wow, Kawase booth cosplayers?
It was just streamed one hour ago: https://www.resetera.com/posts/12825168/

I only saw a quick peek since I can't watch the stream now but as expected from Success saying so, it's running on the same engine as Sayonara UmiharaKawase (Rubber Engine) but the artstyle of Fresh! makes it look better.
Sayonara didn't look great, so nice they could reuse the engine at least.
Besides showing off the demo, they seem to have announced another playable character:
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1042657139393613826
Wow, crossover too!

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay:

Some details from Gematsu: (More at the link)
https://gematsu.com/2018/09/umihara-kawase-fresh-tgs-2018-gameplay
The latest entry in the series, due out worldwide for Switch in 2019, uses a quest-based progression system on a connected, Metroidvania-style map. There is a story featuring various characters, as well as exploration, collection, and cooking. Cotton, who first appeared in the 1991-released side-scrolling shoot 'em up Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams, will also appear as a playable character.

Cotton
DnhDCixVYAAiMZx

Instructions
Dnh1sj0VYAEhMSY

Gameplay footage goes from 11:00 to 26:21 of the following link:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
2nd day of TGS.

Go to the OP to see the gameplay from yesterday.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Day 3 of TGS where the business days are finished and now the show is open to the public.

The line for the booth is currently 15 to 25 minutes long.
###
Considering this is a niche series, that's probably the longest you should expect to line up.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's telling the story of when he heard Umihara was getting into a fighting game, much to his suprise, right around the time they were announcing that Success was working on the next entry in the series.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Final day of TGS.

You could still have a chance to win a towel when going to the booth.

DnlLFsFU8AA8fHN

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Survival mechanics? Uhh, ew. *Major* turnoff.
My guess is "thirst"/"hunger" are just fancy names for health/stamina, and they'll use those as light gating mechanisms to keep people from wrecking the game off the bat, or just to give them something to upgrade.

Since this wasn't discussed after the gameplay was shown.

It seems the Hunger meter is really just a health bar. Umihara Kawase's health only depleted when she got hit by an enemy. So she went from dying in one hit in past games to having HP.

As for the thirst meter, I don't think it's a stamina meter because it never depleted during the demo. I can only think it's a meter to prevent you from breaking progression in the game. Think like how Samus needs the Varia suit to get through hot areas, I think the same thing could end up being applied with Thirst in Umihara Kawase Fresh!