• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That seems to make a lot more sense, even though the names of those gauges are still confusing.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Since this wasn't discussed after the gameplay was shown.

It seems the Hunger meter is really just a health bar. Umihara Kawase's health only depleted when she got hit by an enemy. So she went from dying in one hit in past games to having HP.

As for the thirst meter, I don't think it's a stamina meter because it never depleted during the demo. I can only think it's a meter to prevent you from breaking progression in the game. Think like how Samus needs the Varia suit to get through hot areas, I think the same thing could end up being applied with Thirst in Umihara Kawase Fresh!

I'll have to go back and watch the footage again but from what I recall, they said they haven't decided on how the crafting system is actually going to work, so it may well be that the meter never depleted because they still haven't figured out what to do with it.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Thirst could probably be MP for skills and using it up makes her more thirsty I guess.
I'll have to go back and watch the footage again but from what I recall, they said they haven't decided on how the crafting system is actually going to work, so it may well be that the meter never depleted because they still haven't figured out what to do with it.

Okay, so they haven't done anything with it yet.

So the thirst meter is either:
1) Stamina: depletes from movement.
2) Environment effect: Depletes from being in an area with adverse effects to prevent map progression from being broken.
3) MP: Magic powers/special skills.
4) Something else

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking firward to this. The series has always fascinated me despite being bad at it. That said, I managed to best Shun yesterday!! Tried out the other two again and it's really a series that grows as you yourself grows, as I tried out way more risky moves than usual.

I hope the controls feel tight. The 3D models in Sayonara feel a bit sluggish, which puts me off. Fresh looks lovely, though.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
New screenshots.

The tweet seems to indicate that development is still in progress.

DsHInmYVAAEC-Ye

DsHIpVZU4AAQFGv

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
So for anyone in Japan:

This is machine translated so not 100% accurate.

【Emergency announcement】 January 4, 2019 (Fri.) 13: 00 ~ 18: 00 We will conduct a user experiences meeting of Hidaka River Fresh Fresh. The location is Tokyo Gotanda Success Headquarters. We prepare souvenirs for those who participate. Fans of New Year holidays gather in Tokyo Gotanda. Please leave the schedule as I write the details again later! # Horigiri River

They're calling it a closed beta

Machine translated again:
The purpose of this experiencing society is to get users to experience themselves and receive opinions such as the final balance. Close to say β. If it says badly it has been boiled down so please help me. # Horigiri River # # Special skill is Maru Nagare # I will not be forgiven because I upload an event scene

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Update 3:

New art (could it become the cover art?)
Plus new details including pricing

Screenshot_20181218-012126.jpg

Credit to Fukuzatsu for translating:
"Umihara Kawase Fresh on Nintendo Switch, out in 2019, for 5,800yen (same price both phys. and digital), can be played in all 3 Switch modes, Cero A, includes Japanese, English, and Traditional Chinese"

Source: https://swninfo.success-corp.co.jp/switch/umihara-fresh/pre/

mv.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Looking at the cover art, I couldn't help but notice the fishing pole is a flexible, bendy whip. If used in real life, how does that work? How would you fish with that tool?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Seems like they're developing it at a good rhythm. Hopefully the localization won't take too long either.
Update 3:

New art (could it become the cover art?)
Plus new details including pricing

Screenshot_20181218-012126.jpg

Credit to Fukuzatsu for translating:
"Umihara Kawase Fresh on Nintendo Switch, out in 2019, for 5,800yen (same price both phys. and digital), can be played in all 3 Switch modes, Cero A, includes Japanese, English, and Traditional Chinese"

Source: https://swninfo.success-corp.co.jp/switch/umihara-fresh/pre/

mv.png
Looks nice!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Success is probably publishing globally since they've been releasing games in the NA/EU eShops for a bit now.

I wonder if they'll team up with Studio Saizensan or someone to bring back Cotton in earnest?

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Success is probably publishing globally since they've been releasing games in the NA/EU eShops for a bit now.

eShop, yes. I had forgotten that the physical release was Japan only, they need partners for physical releases overseas... Preferably anyone not called Nicalis.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Why not Nicalis? I get that they were kind of hit and miss in the past, but their Switch support has been great.

Nicalis is like a worse version of Atlus if you live outside the US.

And if you still don't get what I mean, they suck at releasing physical games outside the US because it's extremely late or nonexistent.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess one reason would be to not jack up the digital price for parity with physical
Not if you live in Europe.
Nicalis is like a worse version of Atlus if you live outside the US.

And if you still don't get what I mean, they suck at releasing physical games outside the US because it's extremely late or nonexistent.
Ah, yeah I am not in Europe.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
New screenshot

Apparently the official website will start at the beginning of next year according to the tweet.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, she has her own Felyne now? I gotta be paying more attention to these updates...

Nah, I'm certain it's just to do with the NPCs in the game that are animals which reminds me of the Monster World games NPCs (aka the Wonder Boy games starting from Monster Land.)

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
New release window is Spring/Summer 2019, as revealed by a free themed browser game that just went up:

http://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/02/umihara-kawase-fresh-to-release-in-first-half-of-2019/

Thanks. I'll update.

Update 4:

New year's card reveals Umihara Kawase Fresh! is releasing between Spring/Summer 2019

umiharakawasereleasedate_thumb.png

New release window is Spring/Summer 2019, as revealed by a free themed browser game that just went up:

http://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/02/umihara-kawase-fresh-to-release-in-first-half-of-2019/

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Looking at the cover art, I couldn't help but notice the fishing pole is a flexible, bendy whip. If used in real life, how does that work? How would you fish with that tool?
It's definitely more just a super flexible tether/bungie with a fish hook than a rod or pole. It's always been that way since way back on the SNES. I doubt it's supposed to work in real life. :P

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Now the thread title is updated, thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Credit to FantasyZone

Someone gave impressions of the recent beta event translated by siliconera.
http://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/05/some-japanese-gameplay-impressions-for-umihara-kawase-fresh/

• Umihara Kawase Fresh!'s controls are one the easiest to get used to out of the series thus far, with the Rocket Dash being easy to perform. One player likened it to Sayonara Umihara Kawase's controls.
  • The open maps have been handled naturally, and there are routes that more skilled players can take to get to places faster. Every time you reach a new checkpoint, the game overwrites your respawn point to that place.
  • Umihara Kawase Fresh! seems to take into account past criticisms that the games are hard to get into, so that hurdle has been lowered by adding in a story, checkpoints, quests, and an open world. It seems to be a great game for newcomers. Furthermore, lives are now absent, although Backpack items are still present in the game with an unknown purpose.
  • As part of the new world presented in this game, enemies other than fish appear, but are integrated naturally without feeling out of place.

• Previously completed quests can be re-challenged in Time Attack mode.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite thing about this structure is not getting kicked out and having to reload the level after every single death.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
There's a new gameplay video and you can hear its new soundtrack:

Tutorial:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Gematsu has translated some of the new bits from the official site: https://gematsu.com/2019/01/umihara-kawase-fresh-official-website-opened

Story

Kawase is a wandering chef in the magical world of Michelana. This time she ended up in a remote town called "Kingness," where she starts working for a hamburger restaurant called "Tadaima Tavern."

For the time being, Umihara Kawase seems set on helping out Tadaima Tavern. Why? Because Kingness is the spitting image of a town that always appears in her dreams…

There are mysterious things for sure. But since talking about them might make people look at her funny, it seems like she will keep them to herself.

World: The Surface

The area where Tadaima Tavern is located. All sorts of people live here. If you head to the sky, there are gates protected by guards.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Nice updates!
The setting is interesting, doesn't force them to come back to it in future games.

Soundtrack is nice, game looks better than I thought too.
A bit worried about the tutorial though, doesn't seem good.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
It's happening!

Planned release date: April 25th 2019

Edit: For now, I guess this should be treated as the Japan only release date. The game is planned to have Japanese, English and Chinese language support but it is not certain whether all that is happening the same day on launch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Gematsu asked the Twitter account whether the release date is also for abroad.

They said yes and it will be handled by a separate company.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
It's happening!

Planned release date: April 25th 2019

Edit: For now, I guess this should be treated as the Japan only release date. The game is planned to have Japanese, English and Chinese language support but it is not certain whether all that is happening the same day on launch.

Wow, that's sooner than I thought! Now I need to know what the US pricing is like before I commit to a purchase on launch day...

Gematsu asked the Twitter account whether the release date is also for abroad.

They said yes and it will be handled by a separate company.

Hmm, so who would the most likely potential publishing partners be? Natsume? Nicalis?

(Btw, thanks for updating this thread so consistently. It's really appreciated!)

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, for anyone that is planning to get this physically, it is currently only planned for Japan. (Edit: and it is very likely that it will only have Japanese language support since there was confirmation of a separate company handling the release overseas if you scroll up.)

So you can pre-order from Amazon.jp right now if it's possible for you to buy/import:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07N33836Z/htm1405-22/ref=nosim/

Pictures of the boxart:
81mlkNa16hL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81H29TwMmvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hmm, so who would the most likely potential publishing partners be? Natsume? Nicalis?

Let's just say I hope it's not Nicalis.
Also, I hope it's not Natsume if they're going to call it Yumi's Odd Odyssey Fresh!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, for anyone that is planning to get this physically, it is currently only planned for Japan.

So you can pre-order from Amazon.jp right now if it's possible for you to buy/import:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07N33836Z/htm1405-22/ref=nosim/

Pictures of the boxart:
81mlkNa16hL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81H29TwMmvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Let's just say I hope it's not Nicalis.
Also, I hope it's not Natsume if they're going to call it Yumi's Odd Odyssey Fresh!
I would say Xseed but I'm not sure if they still exist