• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
FIXED SEE POST 33

Currently trying to sign into my account on OG Xbox 360 and I keep getting this error. I've tried both my NA and JPN Xbox's and this error pops up whether I try to download or just sign into my account.

I've spent like an hour messing with this and even went into MS community Answers & old YouTube videos to no avail.

Things I've tried
- Power Cycling
- Changing Connection
- Changing Password
- Checked security logins (it shows as a successful xbox login even though it won't let me compete the actions I need)
- Clearing Cache
- Reset to defaults for Network

I'm unsure how to progress. The only thing I've read that might solve this error is cancelling my Gamepass Sub? But I have vouchers on that until 2023 so I don't have any sort of option to cancel it and see if that's the case.

Any help would be appreciated as I'd like to play my older content that isn't BC.

Last edited:

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I just want to know why you're firing up your 360. More curious about that than anything else, ha.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Are you sure you didn't recently play with and beat someone online who's uncle or dad is Bill Gates and they told you that your account would be banned? Jk

Xbox Support

shows some issues going on.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I get an error sometimes when I play 360 and it won't sign in. The only thing that helps it is going to the Microsoft Store and toggling off and on recurring billing, or vice versa. It works just like magic.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
If you have 2FA enabled, you need to log in using an app password generated by Microsoft rather than using your normal password.

Went through this just last week, lmao. Though I don't think I had that error code though?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Plenty of 360 games that never came to the BC program and now likely never will.

Otomedius Excellent for example.

Shads

Jun 6, 2020
I don't know if that error code was the same problem that I had, but I had a problem logging into a Xbox 360 game via Backward Compatibility on Xbox Series X, and the way I ended up fixing it was using a shorter password strangely enough (I don't know what that number is at the top of my head; I think 16 characters?). Xbox 360 has a smaller password character count limitation than the Xbox One and on, and I ended up changing it and it resolved my issue. I had changed my password prior to a longer one because my Xbox account got hacked, which I recovered after a few months of back and forth with Xbox Support. And it wasn't until then that I noticed that I couldn't access my Xbox 360 games anymore after.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
If you have 2FA enabled you need to use an App Password or something to that affect. You can find said password in the Security section of your Microsoft Account.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'll echo the 2FA issue everybody is mentioning because I had a similar issue a few months back.

Also, to those asking, the vast majority of 360 games are not BC. The BC program is great, but surprisingly limited.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Currently at work so I can't try the suggestions here but I'll be doing so as soon as I get back home. Pretty sure I don't have 2FA (But will check again) on so I'll have to try the Turn On Renewal again I think.

If neither of those work I'll be at a bit of a loss as to how to fix this.
A part of making this thread was honestly for Google to pick up as a search result so if a solution is found it'll be easier for people to resolve it going forward.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Currently at work so I can't try the suggestions here but I'll be doing so as soon as I get back home. Pretty sure I don't have 2FA (But will check again) on so I'll have to try the Turn On Renewal again I think.

If neither of those work I'll be at a bit of a loss as to how to fix this.
A part of making this thread was honestly for Google to pick up as a search result so if a solution is found it'll be easier for people to resolve it going forward.
No 2FA? Probably hacked then.

I kid. But turn it on.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's been screwy for me playing 360 BC games on Series S since Saturday night.
I can play Sonic Unleashed fine, as I had it on quick resume before then, but for anything else I try I just get an error code, can't sign in, and can't grab my saves from storage. I did manage to get Banjo Kazooie and Nuts 'n Bolts to work from Rare Replay (PD and Kameo didn't though), but it took a few tries. I also keep getting the 'you need to be online or on a Home Xbox' pop up occasionally, too.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
That's the part that doesn't work (can't log in regularly either). It'll start to download then give me the error.
The MS account shows that MS sees it as a "Succesful Login" but I'm unsure as to why it won't let me actually download my profile.

I've had this issue a few times, it's some sort of bug having to do with recurring billing/subscriptions. Go to your MS account and either turning recurring billing off or on (depending on how you have it set up).

If that doesn't work try asking MS support to turn your Gamepass subscription off and then back on.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I've had this issue a few times, it's some sort of bug having to do with recurring billing/subscriptions. Go to your MS account and either turning recurring billing off or on (depending on how you have it set up).

If that doesn't work try asking MS support to turn your Gamepass subscription off and then back on.

They can do that and it won't impact my sub? I used a lot of prepaid cards (until 2023)

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Just wanted to say I finally fixed this and technically entremet was right.

By turning on 2FA and using the App password I was able to log into my account.

My only guess is perhaps I had 2FA on before and once you do that Xbox 360 can't go back in to non-2FA unless you do specific steps I likely didn't do (or this perhaps has priority over a regular code). Thank you to everyone for the help and if someone is going through the same thing I hope this helps.

STEPS:
- Download Microsoft 2FA
- Add account of 360 profile
- Look at Authenticator and go to security page
- Add the One Time App password to your login or download profile

NOTE: This can be finicky if you're using multiple Xbox's like me. Going to do more testing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If using two Xbox 360's where you'll go back and forth with the same account.

It looks like you'll have to disable 2FA and the re-enable it to switch your profile between systems. Making new app codes doesn't seem to work for a new login until you do that (Maybe remembering the original app code used to log in will work across all 360's?).

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I use multiple 360s and just generate a different app password for each. It seems to work for now. But the app passwords can be wonky sometimes, whether it's for 360, iPhone, or whatever else you're using them on! So YMMV.

uuddrlrl

May 30, 2021
I had the same issue when I tried to go online. The only thing that worked for me was changing my password. But now, I've had to download my 360 profile to my 360, and it does not have the records of all the achievements I got offline recently ! (2 games that I 1000/1000'd) urgh...

crolius

Mar 9, 2020
I just ran into this error on my xbox 360. So far nothing seems to fix it. I can't do 2fa either since I don't own a cell phone. Very frustrating.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I had the same issue when I tried to go online. The only thing that worked for me was changing my password. But now, I've had to download my 360 profile to my 360, and it does not have the records of all the achievements I got offline recently ! (2 games that I 1000/1000'd) urgh...

I got this error code today and changing the password to a new one worked for me. Weird.

For some people, changing the password to something shorter fixes the issue (Since the 360 can't have a password length past a certain amount). Was one of the first things I tried but sadly wasn't what worked.

As for the lost completions, it's a big reason why I try not to play anything offline on Xbox 360 anymore. Don't want to risk this kind of scenario again and have to redo a game somewhere.

I just ran into this error on my xbox 360. So far nothing seems to fix it. I can't do 2fa either since I don't own a cell phone. Very frustrating.

Do you have a Tablet of any sort? I think the MS Authenticator could be put on that perhaps?
What all have you tried? There has to be a way to fix it without an authenticator or else MS really needs to resolve this on their end (As I would imagine it impacts BC usage).