• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was the best game of 2017?

• Super Mario Otterssey

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath otter Wild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I love the look and those live video of TMS but haven't got around to play it even though I got a Wii U. Hopefully it will be ported to Switch.

Edit: And I love Minase Inori. She has a great voice.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you prefer mute Link rather than Wind Waker Link ? :p

More seriously, I understand what you are saying tho. However did you try some Ghibli movies ? You love Breath of the Wild and there is some great similarities between the two (art style, story telling etc).
I actually think those two are the best Links :P I think WW is the most expressive Link has ever been.

I have not, and I need to get on that. Thankfully, I think I have a bunch of them, so that's good.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Oh, this is a Kimi no Na Wa thread now? Good. Such an amazing movie, much better than I would ever expect it to be. I went in completely blind and loved every moment of it.

It's one of the best movies I have ever seen. And definitely the most beautiful one visually speaking.

Well, I don't mean anime as a genre as much as I mean certain storytelling styles and techniques that are common to anime productions (usually a lot of exaggeration in the storytelling and emotional expression that I cannot abide by). That's not to say I don't like anime period, there's a fair bit I've come to enjoy—Your Name is one example, of course, and Steins;Gate is one of my favorite science fiction stories of all time. And I love Persona, which is the definition of anime. But in general, I dislike far more of the stuff I have tried than I like.
You should watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It's everything you say you hate about anime (extremely over the top, characters show lots of emotion and expressions etc)

Or watch Hunter x Hunter, a Shonen anime that's nothing unlike any Shonen anime/manga. It's a 10/10 masterpiece and I think you'll love it.

Deleted member 6573

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NOOOOOOOO!!! I want Itsuki!

I can work with that too! As long as we get a Tokyo Mirage Sessions port.

I'll take this too please!

This is perfection! How dare you!

lol.

I would honestly want to see that lol! I'd live for those reactions!

Fantastic game. It's a crime that it's not yet available on Switch.

It's Nintendo's Persona.

I don't think Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE will ever show up on the Switch, to be honest with you. It only sold a little more than 150K between Japan and the USA including digital...if I had to estimate it, probably like a little less than 200K worldwide.

That's just not very many sales to justify its decent-sized budget. I would love if Nintendo gave it a second chance on the Switch, but I understand the business reality of why it's not really feasible. Generally the Wii U games that are getting ported to the Switch had a pretty high initial threshold of sales...they'd sell like 1 million copies worldwide prior, so it's not much of a risk.

It's a real shame because the Switch could definitely use some more JRPGs and Tokyo Mirage Sessions would be a perfect fit.

I could see the Switch getting a port of Color Splash, but a new Paper Mario game seems more likely to be honest with you.

Last edited:

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE will ever show up on the Switch, to be honest with you. It only sold a little more than 100K between Japan and the USA including digital...if I had to estimate it, probably like a little more than 150K or so worldwide.

That's just not very many sales to justify its decent-sized budget. I would love if Nintendo gave it a second chance on the Switch, but I understand the business reality of why it's not really feasible. Generally the Wii U games that are getting ported to the Switch had a pretty high initial threshold of sales...they'd sell like 1 million copies worldwide prior, so it's not much of a risk.

Well it's tough, do they port it to try and recoup the investment or do they leave it for dead? Either is a possible option.

Wait, they censored TMS?

Yeah, it was a very embarrassing fiasco, and created a lot of negativity around the game that certainly hurt it a lot. It was not just unnecessary, but also incredibly shoddy and haphazard.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how you guys ended up talking about Your Name but I'll follow suit and say that I loved it too and it was a crazy wild ride.

Eliseo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE will ever show up on the Switch, to be honest with you. It only sold a little more than 100K between Japan and the USA including digital...if I had to estimate it, probably like a little more than 150K or so worldwide.

It's a real shame because the Switch could definitely use some more JRPGs and Tokyo Mirage Sessions would be a perfect fit.

I could see the Switch getting a port of Color Splash, but a new Paper Mario game seems more likely to be honest with you.

NOOOOOOOOO, come on don't be like that ;___;

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Wait, they censored TMS?
There were some things that were modified for the Western release.
  • Some outfits were made more modest in appearance
  • Kiria was given some pants for her idol outfit (this was worldwide though)
  • The hot springs DLC was completely removed
  • A certain dungeon had a lot of it's images changed to appear more modest than what it was originally
  • In a cutscene, one of the characters was lying facedown on a couch in front of the villain. But it was changed so that she was sitting upright instead.
I think there were more but that's all that I can remember right now.

EDIT: Some excerpts from Kotaku:
  • Just about everyone has been aged up a year, from 16, 17 and 18 to 17, 18 and 19.
  • Several hundred lines of dialogue were re-recorded to reflect both the age changes and other tweaks to the story.
  • Skirted costumes that would have shown underwear during acrobatic moves have been obscured via black void.
There are videos detailing the comparisons but I didn't think the thumbnail was appropriate here.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
TMS getting a port could happen because of Atlas. They were the ones who made the game and it does involve their IP too.

SieteBlanco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that XBC2, American version, is fairly more risque than what they censored from TMS. I guess the TMS fiasco was good for something and Treehouse will probably try to not do the same thing again.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Well it's tough, do they port it to try and recoup the investment or do they leave it for dead? Either is a possible option.
The cost of doing a Switch port wouldn't be as much as the original development, but it's still a question of whether Nintendo feels the game would get enough sales on Switch to earn a second chance.

Though to be fair, TMS had outside factors working against it. Namely that it was a late-stage Wii U game, and in Japan, it was released the day after Christmas, which is like sending a game out to die.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, this is a Kimi no Na Wa thread now? Good. Such an amazing movie, much better than I would ever expect it to be. I went in completely blind and loved every moment of it.

You should watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It's everything you say you hate about anime (extremely over the top, characters show lots of emotion and expressions etc)

Or watch Hunter x Hunter, a Shonen anime that's nothing unlike any Shonen anime/manga. It's a 10/10 masterpiece and I think you'll love it.
I am watching it right now lol. Don't particularly like it, but don't hate it either.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Nintendo direct threads should become the video game forums off topic section. Not replace the etcetera off topic section. But a brand new section in gaming side dedicated to directs.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash

Yeah, it was a very embarrassing fiasco, and created a lot of negativity around the game that certainly hurt it a lot. It was not just unnecessary, but also incredibly shoddy and haphazard.

There were some things that were modified for the Western release.
  • Some outfits were made more modest in appearance
  • Kiria was given some pants for her idol outfit (this was worldwide though)
  • The hot springs DLC was completely removed
  • A certain dungeon had a lot of it's images changed to appear more modest than what it was originally
  • In a cutscene, one of the characters was lying facedown on a couch in front of the villain. But it was changed so that she was sitting upright instead.
I think there were more but that's all that I can remember right now.

EDIT: Some excerpts from Kotaku:

There are videos detailing the comparisons but I didn't think the thumbnail was appropriate here.

Huh, I had no idea. I only knew about XCX but not TMS.

In a cutscene, one of the characters was lying facedown on a couch in front of the villain. But it was changed so that she was sitting upright instead.

lol what

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Hunter x Hunter was such a surprise. It begins as a lighthearted shonen and by the end of it you are in some very dark places. The Chimera Ants Arc is exceptional and very emotionnal.

It is indeed a 10/10 masterpiece.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Huh, I had no idea. I only knew about XCX but not TMS.

lol what
Here is a comparison video for Tsubasa's (one of the main characters) music videos that happen in-game. Thumbnail was okay so I'll post this one lol.
EDIT: Never mind just search it up if you'd like!
I think it's the one of the more tamer changes that happened.

Last edited:

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Can I get Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Marth for Smash pls? Also for a Switch port.

I'm surprised the game hasn't happened already cause it gets people excited for SMTV. This game was really good, wasn't perfect, but was a good time and no one really played it because it came out at the tail of the Wii U's life and that's already sending it out to obscurity. Hopefully it gets another chance.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I think looking at any game's sales on Wii U and saying that it's not worth porting to Switch is a mistake. Few games sold well on Wii U. TMS came to the west in the summer of 2016, way after the Wii U was beyond dead. Xenoblade X at least had the benefit of coming out during the holiday season of 2015

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's too bad because it was such an interesting and unique game.

I'm hoping with the acknowledgment of Xenoblade X being considered for Switch that they actually go through with it next year. Seems like the Xeno series is in a good place right now and that game has a chance to do really well on Switch.

More JRPGs. I'm ready to buy.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

Didn't this exact same thing get brought up in the thread earlier this year? This will be a Xenoblade 2 thread before you know it.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
To all anime watcher in this thread, you really need to go watching High Score Girl. It sets in the 90s, surrounding the two protagonists who love going to arcade centers. Many games like Street Fighters are featured in it. The romance between the two is also really lovely.

Most importantly, all music (other than theme songs) are composed by Yoko Shimomura.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To all anime watcher in this thread, you really need to go watching High Score Girl. It sets in the 90s, surrounding the two protagonists who love going to arcade centers. Many games like Street Fighters are featured in it. The romance between the two is also really lovely.

Most importantly, all music are composed by Yoko Shimomura.

It sucks that Netflix kidnapped it, because it's the best show of the season.
Here's a taste.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SieteBlanco Nintendo's whole localization process changed from the Wii U to the Switch. Takahashi explained it two E3 ago: they basically went up from making several versions of the same game to developing the game and already sending material to NOE and NOA, while already asking for some input for the game. This makes localization quicker and less controversial. Part of the change is probably due to their focus in "freedom" to how you buy a game in any region and can play it in others normally.

---

About TMS sales: the potential was very limited by the Wii U. But the Atlus games made by Shinjiro Takada commonly get new versions for new Nintendo systems: they ported Devil Survivor 1, Devil Survivor 2 and Radiant Historia all to the 3DS. I wouldn't be surprised in them doing it with TMS, it gives them a fast turnaround for a Switch game and another chance of making money with that product.

Deleted member 6573

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think looking at any game's sales on Wii U and saying that it's not worth porting to Switch is a mistake. Few games sold well on Wii U. TMS came to the west in the summer of 2016, way after the Wii U was beyond dead. Xenoblade X at least had the benefit of coming out during the holiday season of 2015

Well that's fine, I just don't know if <200K sales for Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is going to warrant the development and advertising expenses for a port in Nintendo's eyes, especially because they have to adapt the Wii U gamepad functionality to the Switch. It's not like it can just be ported over with zero changes super cheaply.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The context of that entire dungeon and the story content was a lot more risque in the Japanese version. It was themed after gravure idols (the character Maiko being a former gravure idol herself before becoming the talent agency founder). The dungeon was plastered with images of gravure idols, and at the end of the dungeon, the party finds the captured Maiko frozen like a photograph with the possessed photographer in a risque position.

As part of this storyline, the teenage character Tsubasa, who is seventeen, is intended to do some gravure swimwear modeling.

Having a technically underage girl doing gravure idol work in the western release would have led to its own problems. Anyway, to get around this:

• The entire dungeon and storyline section was changed to fashion modeling rather than gravure idols.
  • Maiko's backstory was changed to being a former fashion model.
  • All of the images depicting gravure idols were swapped out with fashion model images and Maiko's pose at the end of the dungeon was made less risque.
  • A bikini that Tsubasa dons during the final confrontation is swapped with a stylish and less risque fashion ensemble.
  • All dialogue in the game referring to gravure idols was rewritten and then rerecorded by the Japanese actors to match the English script. They also aged up all of the teenage characters by a year each, so Tsubasa is eighteen in the English version.

I realize this all sounds cumbersome and wild listed like this, but the end result is actually smoothly handled. If you had no knowledge of the original Japanese version of the game going in, you wouldn't suspect anything was off. That didn't stop some bitter assholes that were salty about censorship from trying to make the Treehouse look bad by trying to pass off a doctored image of Tsubasa in her western fashion costume talking about a bikini as an authentic part of the localization, though.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
SieteBlanco Nintendo's whole localization process changed from the Wii U to the Switch. Takahashi explained it two E3 ago: they basically went up from making several versions of the same game to developing the game and already sending material to NOE and NOA, while already asking for some input for the game. This makes localization quicker and less controversial. Part of the change is probably due to their focus in "freedom" to how you buy a game in any region and can play it in others normally.

---

About TMS sales: the potential was very limited by the Wii U. But the Atlus games made by Shinjiro Takada commonly get new versions for new Nintendo systems: they ported Devil Survivor 1, Devil Survivor 2 and Radiant Historia all to the 3DS. I wouldn't be surprised in them doing it with TMS, it gives them a fast turnaround for a Switch game and another chance of making money with that product.

Totally. Can see it happening. Would get people amped for SMTV too.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
The context of that entire dungeon and the story content was a lot more risque in the Japanese version. It was themed after gravure idols (the character Maiko being a former gravure idol herself before becoming the talent agency founder). The dungeon was plastered with images of gravure idols, and at the end of the dungeon, the party finds the captured Maiko frozen like a photograph with the possessed photographer in a risque position.

As part of this storyline, the teenage character Tsubasa, who is seventeen, is intended to do some gravure swimwear modeling.

Having a technically underage girl doing gravure idol work in the western release would have led to its own problems. Anyway, to get around this:

• The entire dungeon and storyline section was changed to fashion modeling rather than gravure idols.
  • Maiko's backstory was changed to being a former fashion model.
  • All of the images depicting gravure idols were swapped out with fashion model images and Maiko's pose at the end of the dungeon was made less risque.
  • A bikini that Tsubasa dons during the final confrontation is swapped with a stylish and less risque fashion ensemble.
  • All dialogue in the game referring to gravure idols was rewritten and then rerecorded by the Japanese actors to match the English script. They also aged up all of the teenage characters by a year each, so Tsubasa is eighteen in the English version.

I realize this all sounds cumbersome and wild listed like this, but the end result is actually smoothly handled. If you had no knowledge of the original Japanese version of the game going in, you wouldn't suspect anything was off. That didn't stop some bitter assholes that were salty about censorship from trying to make the Treehouse look bad by trying to pass off a doctored image of Tsubasa in her western fashion costume talking about a bikini as an authentic part of the localization, though.
Yeah this right here! This is an awesome explanation!

I just want to say that I'm not saying that the changes were "evil" or that Nintendo was wrong or anything. I just remember the initial thread about it and the reactions back on GAF.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I am watching it right now lol. Don't particularly like it, but don't hate it either.

The beginning is the "worst" part since it doesn't differentiate it from other shonens.

However, Phantom Thief , it goes crescendo to reach such unsuspected heights. It is mindblowing how lighthearted the show begins and how intense it can get. I won't ever forget the Chimera Ants Arc for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.