• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What was the best game of 2017?

• Super Mario Otterssey

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath otter Wild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
The context of that entire dungeon and the story content was a lot more risque in the Japanese version. It was themed after gravure idols (the character Maiko being a former gravure idol herself before becoming the talent agency founder). The dungeon was plastered with images of gravure idols, and at the end of the dungeon, the party finds the captured Maiko frozen like a photograph with the possessed photographer in a risque position.

As part of this storyline, the teenage character Tsubasa, who is seventeen, is intended to do some gravure swimwear modeling.

Having a technically underage girl doing gravure idol work in the western release would have led to its own problems. Anyway, to get around this:

• The entire dungeon and storyline section was changed to fashion modeling rather than gravure idols.
  • Maiko's backstory was changed to being a former fashion model.
  • All of the images depicting gravure idols were swapped out with fashion model images and Maiko's pose at the end of the dungeon was made less risque.
  • A bikini that Tsubasa dons during the final confrontation is swapped with a stylish and less risque fashion ensemble.
  • All dialogue in the game referring to gravure idols was rewritten and then rerecorded by the Japanese actors to match the English script. They also aged up all of the teenage characters by a year each, so Tsubasa is eighteen in the English version.

I realize this all sounds cumbersome and wild listed like this, but the end result is actually smoothly handled. If you had no knowledge of the original Japanese version of the game going in, you wouldn't suspect anything was off. That didn't stop some bitter assholes that were salty about censorship from trying to make the Treehouse look bad by trying to pass off a doctored image of Tsubasa in her western fashion costume talking about a bikini as an authentic part of the localization, though.
This makes a LOT more sense with some context. Thank you for taking your time and for such a detailed explanation.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Eh, honestly watching this the western design is way better so if NOA wants to keep "censoring" games like this I'm all for it.
I actually like the western design more myself. I think it fits better with the design.

To be frank the only problem I had with the localization was the fact that it was Japanese only. But I got over that pretty quickly. Only downside was that in-game battle parts aren't subbed so you miss out on that.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Well that's fine, I just don't know if <200K sales for Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is going to warrant the development and advertising expenses for a port in Nintendo's eyes, especially because they have to adapt the Wii U gamepad functionality to the Switch. It's not like it can just be ported over with zero changes super cheaply.

There wasn't anything that crazy going on on the gamepad. Just move the cellphone stuff to a menu. (I know this isn't a five minute job)

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here is a comparison video for Tsubasa's (one of the main characters) music videos that happen in-game. Thumbnail was okay so I'll post this one lol.

I think it's the one of the more tamer changes that happened.

Seems like Nintendo is coming around on that dumb practice. SNK heronines came out as fanservicy as it is and Xenoblade 2 didn't appear to have these types of unnecessary changes and sold well.

Maybe NOA finally learned that western players arent that sensitive to skin and fanservice in games.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I realize this all sounds cumbersome and wild listed like this, but the end result is actually smoothly handled. If you had no knowledge of the original Japanese version of the game going in, you wouldn't suspect anything was off. That didn't stop some bitter assholes that were salty about censorship from trying to make the Treehouse look bad by trying to pass off a doctored image of Tsubasa in her western fashion costume talking about a bikini as an authentic part of the localization, though.

Did you play the game? The changes were incredibly awkward and poorly done. It was a hack job, essentially.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TMS is the second best Wii U game, the battle system is really lots of fun, sometimes I would just keep doing combos in the arena because of how good it feels to make a huge string. I honestly think that Takada Atlus team makes better "Persona" games than whatever Hashino did. Devil Survivor 1, DeSu 2 and TMS all hit that "casual/social" spot Persona games should have, but with still great level design and good battle systems -- something P3/4/5 don't manage to do.

Best Wii U game is Xenoblade Chronicles X

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
TMS is the second best Wii U game, the battle system is really lots of fun, sometimes I would just keep doing combos in the arena because of how good it feels to make a huge string. I honestly think that Atlus teams make better "Persona" games than whatever Hashino did. Devil Survivor 1, DeSu 2 and TMS all hit that "casual/social" spot Persona games should have, but with still great level design and good battle systems -- something P3/4/5 don't manage to do.

Best Wii U game is Xenoblade Chronicles X
For a moment I was scared that the spoiler was hiding a "/s". I'm glad you actually liked it that much!

Deleted member 16039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once upon a time, a game called « Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem » was announced and I became very curious about it ; hoping it would go with the dark and depressing tone of the SMT games and with war themes of Fire Emblem games.

Then, the game became « Tokyo Mirage Sessions: #FE », and I couldn't care less of what the hell was this game about when I saw what it was.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I played it. All the way through, in fact. It wasn't a hack job at all.
It doesn't even change much stuff and you have the japanese audio all the time anyway for the original script. The only thing I don't understand is why they changed Tsubasa's bride costume when they let other stuff even more revealing unchanged, but lol.

People overblow stuff because of dumb channels like Censored Gaming.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
This was my favorite localization change in TMS.
TMSFE-Swimsuit-comparison.jpg
I actually thought it was pretty cool haha!
Wasn't he already is PSASBR?
Oh yeah. Shoot.....but I was technically Nephilim aka DmC Dante so there's that!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't even change much stuff and you have the japanese audio all the time anyway for the original script. The only thing I don't understand is why they changed Tsubasa's bride costume when they let other stuff even more revealing unchanged, but lol.

People overblow stuff because of dumb channels like Censored Gaming.
I hate Censored Gaming so goddamn much. Any time one of their videos shows up in my YouTube recommendations I die a little inside.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The beginning is the "worst" part since it doesn't differentiate it from other shonens.

However, Phantom Thief , it goes crescendo to reach such unsuspected heights. It is mindblowing how lighthearted the show begins and how intense it can get. I won't ever forget the Chimera Ants Arc for example.
Wait to be clear we're speaking of JoJo right?

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Post reasons for why Dante should be in Smash and why we should be getting a port of DMC 1-4 but do each reason individually. That would help a bit!

Also maybe more mod teasing but I think they're sleeping now.
Ohhh brooothheeeerrr.

Listen up man, Bayonetta needs someone as powerful as her for the spirit's story mode, Dante would be just PERFECT. Yours truly DMC4 Dante of course in my avatar. Also his side B on the floor would be Stinger (beowulf dive kick in the air) Neutral B E&I shoots like Bayo in the floor but if you hold B and press back he shoots 2 some time, means back and forward at the same time. So yeah if you do it in the air and press down he does rainstorm. His down B is royal guard parry/counter of course, time it right and its a counter, time it ok and its a block that leaves dante on place. Then his up B is air trick of course he teleports instantly, use this to cancel moves.

Tie it with dmc super mega stylish collection which includes dmc1, dmc2, dmc3 se and dmc4 se complete with a Link costume so I can finally become what I was born to. DanteLinkX.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Did you play the game? The changes were incredibly awkward and poorly done. It was a hack job, essentially.

I played the game and did a lot of the DLC IIRC. I didn't feel like anything was awkward or poorly done without knowledge of the original text. My only issue was that I didn't particularly like the fabric choice for Tsubaki's dress modifications.

Honesty anyone complaining about a teenage girl getting a less revealing outfit is suspicious and creepy and that's what a lot of it boiled down to.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Once upon a time, a game called « Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem » was announced and I became very curious about it ; hoping it would go with the dark and depressing tone of the SMT games and with war themes of Fire Emblem games.

Then, the game became « Tokyo Mirage Sessions: #FE », and I couldn't care less of what the hell was this game about when I saw what it was.
You and pretty much everybody else, which is why the game bombed. But those who bought it actually recommend it, it has very good WOM. But at that point nobody had a Wii U anymore so now we are waiting for A Switch port that might never happen lol.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
they aren't bad. Xenoblade X was great

NOA localization would be the best if it wasn't with their idea that Nintendo should be like Fisher price so they have to censor everything in order to hit that T or E rating.

I think it's time to understand that fanservice is part of japanese gaming culture: it would be like censoring nudity from sculptures or hide paintings with sex scenes,...

Oct 27, 2017
Peru

I actually think that made it more appealing. Dark and depressing JRPGs are too abundant already.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I still find it hilarious how people expected what was then known as SMT x FE to be some super dark, disturbing war story. It's like yo have you never played a Fire Emblem game since the GBA era or a Shin Megami Tensei game besides Nocturne? Those series are cheesy cornmeal with a side of ham. That's what makes them fun.

Also it was a Nintendo game.

Status
Not open for further replies.