• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What was the best game of 2017?

• Super Mario Otterssey

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath otter Wild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still find it hilarious how people expected what was then known as SMT x FE to be some super dark, disturbing war story. It's like yo have you never played a Fire Emblem game since the GBA era or a Shin Megami Tensei game besides Nocturne? Those series are cheesy cornmeal with a side of ham. That's what makes them fun.

Also it was a Nintendo game.
Also, most crossover games are just cheap fanservice without meat and plots that don't make any sense because they have to handle different properties and characters that don't even know each other.

See: Super Robot Wars, Project X Zone.
These games aren't bad, but people play them for the fanservice, not the gameplay. TMS existing as it is got us a cohesive game with depth and its own identity. I would also argue it mixes Fire Emblem and SMT elements very well. The nods to Shadow Dragon are very very cool and the gameplay is basically a great SMT game.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Had to block their channel, because Youtube thinks "if you like anime and japanese games, here's some nerd outrage reactionary trash!". Throw your algorithm in the trash.

I sincerely apologize for linking that video! I haven't watched their videos in forever (didn't like them) and used Google to initially find an example without even realizing where it came from. I'll do better next time for sure. It's been removed.
Eevee just wants friends but is now crashing moons everywhere.
That pesky Eevee! I give it a ball to play with and now it wants to throw moon sized balls at the Earth.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Also, most crossover games are just cheap fanservice without meat and plots that don't make any sense because they have to handle different properties and characters that don't even know each other.

These games aren't bad, but people play them for the fanservice, not the gameplay. TMS existing as it is got us a cohesive game with depth and its own identity. I would also argue it mixes Fire Emblem and SMT elements very well. The nods to Shadow Dragon are very very cool and the gameplay is basically a great SMT game.
I love the battle system in TMS #FE.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Once upon a time, a game called « Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem » was announced and I became very curious about it ; hoping it would go with the dark and depressing tone of the SMT games and with war themes of Fire Emblem games.

Then, the game became « Tokyo Mirage Sessions: #FE », and I couldn't care less of what the hell was this game about when I saw what it was.
Amen.

Deleted member 26462

Oct 30, 2017
After this point, i don't know what kind of game is TMS, it's a SMT? It's a Fire Emblem? i know it's a crossover, but the game looks like FFX-2, but even more creepier.

I...don't understand the relationship of J-pop culture with Fire Emblem, it simply doesn't work, at least in paper.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
After this point, i don't know what kind of game is TMS, it's a SMT? It's a Fire Emblem? i know it's a crossover, but the game looks like FFX-2, but even more creepier.

I...don't understand the relationship of J-pop culture with Fire Emblem, it simply doesn't work, at least in paper.
It's a Persona game with Fire Emblem characters as the Personas.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
lol no.

Do you really want to turn this thread into this disaster

But it is (and Nintendo itself started to accept pretty much all kinds of risquè titles with the Switch), just accept it and if you aren't interested into that stuff just don't bother or don't play those games.

We are not even talking about an eroge here but just censoring little details like a bikini or a breast slider.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, the coolest thing about the creation of TMS was that they approached it as a thematic crossover of SMT and FE elements, rather than the bog standard Cast A meets Cast B and fight mutual villain C. It really stood on its own in that regard and the pop idol aesthetic really makes it stand out with its own colorful identity.

I mean, I get it if people were expecting Demi-Fiend vs. Marth, but that crossover concept feels so simplistic next to putting in the effort of creating something wholly original that just happens to mesh elements of both franchises.

I sincerely apologize for linking that video! I haven't watched their videos in forever (didn't like them) and used Google to initially find an example without even realizing where it came from. I'll do better next time for sure. It's been removed.
Again, thank you. And don't worry, it's all good!

Dragnipur

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
The problem with HxH is that the creator never writes anything for it. The anime only going to the chimera ant arc is a damn shame.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
TMS is it's own identity and it's incredible.

BUUUUUUUUTTTT I seemed to have thrown this thread way of course. Maybe we should go back on topic.

.....what was the topic again?

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
I just finished Ōkami for the first time, which of these shorter games would you recommend I purchase and finish before the announcement of the Direct:

Gone Home
Cosmic Star Heroine
Dead Cells
The Messenger

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
C64D185A-B629-11E8-96AF-02BBC4FF49A4.jpg

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it is (and Nintendo itself started to accept pretty much all kinds of risquè titles with the Switch), just accept it and if you aren't interested into that stuff just don't bother or don't play those games.

We are not even talking about an eroge here but just censoring little details like a bikini or a breast slider.
You're comparing small fanservice changes that the creators themselves don't even mind to classic art depicting nude characters. lol

TMS is it's own identity and it's incredible.

BUUUUUUUUTTTT I seemed to have thrown this thread way of course. Maybe we should go back on topic.

.....what was the topic again?
It's about Anna with a Black Frost mask.

Hee_How.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I played the game and did a lot of the DLC IIRC. I didn't feel like anything was awkward or poorly done without knowledge of the original text. My only issue was that I didn't particularly like the fabric choice for Tsubaki's dress modifications.

Honesty anyone complaining about a teenage girl getting a less revealing outfit is suspicious and creepy and that's what a lot of it boiled down to.
I always find it disturbing the amount of people who get pissed that an underage girl was made less "sexy" and revealing

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I just picked up a n3ds non xl. Love it. Perfect size. Actually jeans pocketable, and the screen doesn't look like shit like it does on the xls but it isn't too small like the og and regular 2ds.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

It's an SMT game with a very lighthearted tone (moreso than Persona) and Fire Emblem window dressing. There's nothing creepy about it except for Barry.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
So I just picked up a n3ds non xl. Love it. Perfect size. Actually jeans pocketable, and the screen doesn't look like shit like it does on the xls but it isn't too small like the og and regular 2ds.
Yeah, that's the best 3DS model imo. Somehow managed to find the Pokemon 20th anniversary edition again a month or so ago after I lost my original one and had to resort to the OG 3DS in the meantime. It's really the perfect middle ground between the OG and XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.