• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So, it's finally here.

The Samsung Galaxy Fold.

Phones are unfolding into tablets

Tablets are folding into phones.

The price is obviously at early investor/R&D recuperation levels, but the tech freak inside me......... I need this, in my veins.

Im already checking monthly payment costs :'(

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I knew about the fold, but the typo in the topic title fooled me into thinking this was something new haha

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought this was a new trim option for the S10+ lol

These are promising, but I'm going to wait a few years. Seems like the Huwai design might be better, but I'm sure they will all iterate a few times before we get a standard 'best'.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty damn cool! Obviously the price is the cost of early adoption, it he's right that if you think about it replacing both a phone and a tablet...

Amazing stuff.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly excited if it leads to rollable phones/tablets (you know, like a newspaper).

Flexible displays are so cool

OP
OP
GrizzleBoy

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was a new trim option for the S10+ lol

These are promising, but I'm going to wait a few years. Seems like the Huwai design might be better, but I'm sure they will all iterate a few times before we get a standard 'best'.
Huawei's Mate X is certainly better aesthetically in terms of what we might want foldable phones to be like as an endgame.

Imo though, with these plastic like folding screens, the Mate X is a recipe for disaster in terms of longevity. The screens are going to look like badly scratched screen protectors after going in and out of pockets. Or even just sitting on tables.

It also seems much cheaper in its build quality and seems nowhere as robust or refined, but costs $2600 O_o.

The other thing though, is that probably the reason why Huawei's looks better is because it isn't an actual product, mass produced and ready to go on sale. Its still a concept. It isn't a product yet.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested in this but it's nicer looking than I was expecting.

I don't really see the value in having one huge screen, but who knows.

Feb 10, 2018
Not good not having gorilla glass on the big screen, it's going to get scratched up, even though it's protected because it's folded when not in use, but it would still trigger me knowing it's a plastic screen and very prone to scratches.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I love that finally something new happens in the phone industry. Would never buy such an early adopter device. But look at mobile phones from 15 years ago, I'm ready

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Huawei's Mate X is certainly better aesthetically in terms of what we might want foldable phones to be like as an endgame.

Imo though, with these plastic like folding screens, the Mate X is a recipe for disaster in terms of longevity. The screens are going to look like badly scratched screen protectors after going in and out of pockets. Or even just sitting on tables.

It also seems much cheaper in its build quality and seems nowhere as robust or refined, but costs $2600 O_o.

The other thing though, is that probably the reason why Huawei's looks better is because it isn't an actual product, mass produced and ready to go on sale. Its still a concept. It isn't a product yet.

As for mate x, I believe they've mentioned that they're selling it in the summer.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks fantastic. Not $2000 fantastic, but I'm definitely looking for a version of this that is eventually reasonable.

I also don't think an inside camera is even necessary. Save costs and screen real estate by just having one good camera on the outside. The only thing anyone is really losing would be video chat in unfolded mode - but I think I could live without that on a phone.

JBucc

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty nice for the first go round. In a few years when the price has come down and it's cheaper to buy just one foldable vs a separate phone+tablet I'm in.

Oct 29, 2017
Once the 'front screens' are the size of and have the usefulness of current S-series or mainline iPhones then it's a no from me but I'm really excited by the technology. Happy with the Note Series for now though.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The same reason you might want a tablet.

Yeah, for sure, but a top of the line 7" tablet is like $400. I'm not against the concept of foldable phones like most people are. I'm interested in them if the market changes to adapt to them as the norm, like it did with large candybar-like screens.

I think with this first pass, the front screen takes too many compromises and the price is too high. When the front screen can catch up to today's phones, while the overall profile shrinks in girth, I think they'll be market competitive.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
It looks cooler than I thought; although the seam is also more noticeable than I thought.

The RAZR or something similar will make a comeback once this technology matures. Count on it.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
I prefer the Huawei version cause no notch but i guess i wont know until i try both phones and then also i need someone to lend me $2500

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
They really should have delay the phone for a few months and put a bigger screen on the front.

This iphone se screen and prepaid phone bezel and quite unusable.

Oct 29, 2017
I read the first line of the OP and though the was gonna bust out a Donkey Kong Rap in honor of the Galaxy Fold.

I'm so disappointed I'm reporting the thread as we speak

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for sure, but a top of the line 7" tablet is like $400. I'm not against the concept of foldable phones like most people are. I'm interested in them if the market changes to adapt to them as the norm, like it did with large candybar-like screens.

I think with this first pass, the front screen takes too many compromises and the price is too high. When the front screen can catch up to today's phones, while the overall profile shrinks in girth, I think they'll be market competitive.
Oh definitely this is way more than I would spend on it as it is now. I'm more interested where this possibly heads in the future.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
They're doing interesting stuff with the UI, which is just as important as the hardware. The Huawei foldable looks better, but it feels like it'll be janky too use (same with other foldable demos). Not to say the Samsung is perfect, but it at least seems more resolved and they worked hard to make this new form factor work.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
... Didn't see the appeal in the reveal but absolutely want one with all these candid hands-on impressions. It's a damn neat piece of tech.

I'd have to save up for quite a while before I could afford one though.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'll be interested in a folding phone until it looks like a regular phone when folded.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Not good not having gorilla glass on the big screen, it's going to get scratched up, even though it's protected because it's folded when not in use, but it would still trigger me knowing it's a plastic screen and very prone to scratches.
You do realize that they aren't using a traditional plastic material, right?

Samsung is using a custom polymer that is more scratch resistant.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's neat technology, but not something I'm personally interested in. When I'm on the go I don't have a use for a screen that size, and when I'm at home I'd rather have a 10"+ tablet screen, not 7".

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I thought this was getting released at the end of the year.

Can't wait to buy one of those in like 5-6 years.