• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about half way through the video but I gotta say it's very cool and I would get a lot of use out of it. In a couple of generations I could see myself getting one.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really is the future, but I'll wait 5 more years for a version without the annoying fold in the middle.
It'll be a lot thinner then too.

Feb 1, 2018
What is the point of this device? Did their market data actually suggest people needed a folding tablet/phone hybrid and would pay $2K for it?

Seems like innovation for the sake of innovation, and not actual design (good design = solving a problem)

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
What is the point of this device? Did their market data actually suggest people needed a folding tablet/phone hybrid and would pay $2K for it?

Seems like innovation for the sake of innovation, and not actual design (good design = solving a problem)

The point is that it's a phone and tablet in one device. The problem they solved was carrying a tablet around but in the form factor of a phone. I think that's pretty obvious if you watch the video. It's some sci-fi shit.

OP
OP
GrizzleBoy

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You have a small screen for doing stuff that doesn't require a large screen, and a large screen for when a small screen won't do.

It seems pretty obvious imo.

People who consume a lot of media on the go will appreciate it.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I really like that setup. I absolutely want one for a future phone once first generation kinks are ironed out and first generation crazy prices come down.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
If this thing was like the Mate I would be all over it. I would never buy a Chinese phone but Huawei is kicking all sorts of asses right now.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States

Usually when I come to a conclusion where I'm saying "what's the point?" I take a step back, re-analyze the situation, then understand instead of saying what's the point, I simply say 'It's not for me". Maybe at the end of the day this phone serves no purpose for you and it's simply not for you, but you have to accept the fact that there is a market for almost everything, and a tablet that folds to be more portable can seem way more valuable to a subsection of people who love taking tablets everywhere.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Folding screens are going to get to LCD price scaling a LOT faster than LCD TVs did...

If you can wait a couple of years these things will be better, cheap, trivial.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Looks cool and seems to work quite well. The huge notch is fugly though, why didn't they put the selfie camera in the front screen?

When a notchless version is available for under €1000 I'm interested.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

All problems with cellphones was solved a good 5-7 years ago. Look at the selling points of new cellphones the last few years, USB c port, no notches, more cameras, modular design for gadgets, etc. Folks are looking for the true next big thing.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm mostly in love with this. Like, I don't actually care about the notch when it comes to regular phone usage, but I do super care about it when it comes to something replacing my tablet, you know? That said, the idea of having something that fits into my pocket and that I can sit down at a cafe and start doing some artwork is pretty neat, won't lie.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
For watching movies in CinemaScope aspect ratio like 2.35:1 doubling up the screen vertically still won't give you a bigger image :p

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Lol! I remember someone of the old site saying this exact thing about the note 1 and phablets back in 2011
Hot take, only thing stopping it from being the new hot item is the price. I think once the tech is more polished they can get down to premium pricing levels it will be the new standard in cell phones

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

This kind of thought process it's so common but so frustrating. I work in a field that requires constant innovation to stay ahead of the competition and also to wow our clients.
I have a hell of a time hiring employees not because they're lacking the technical ability but because they're lacking the ability to try something new, to think differently, and to experiment with new things. They are much happier sticking with status quo. Without my, forward thinking, creative employees we'd be stuck doing the same s*** we did 10 years ago but instead we're leaps and bounds ahead of our competition.

Long story short just because you hate change and don't see the point doesnt mean the others won't love this. It's not like it's even a stretch to understand the value proposition here. The phone when folded provides quick and easy access to most tasks but also gives users the ability to do so much more. It literally is two devices in one and I'm not sure why people are so mind boggled by it

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and Huawei's foldable phone, we're well on our way to the technology getting all the push it'll need to be affordable in 3-5 years with better overall design.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for sure, but a top of the line 7" tablet is like $400. I'm not against the concept of foldable phones like most people are. I'm interested in them if the market changes to adapt to them as the norm, like it did with large candybar-like screens.

I think with this first pass, the front screen takes too many compromises and the price is too high. When the front screen can catch up to today's phones, while the overall profile shrinks in girth, I think they'll be market competitive.
link for the $400 855/12/512 tablet?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't get into these high production unboxings man

Just not the same thing...

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
This looks so slick. I am rocking an iPhone SE and have been craving a larger screen. I can hold off on upgrading a few more years and by then the Folding phones should be everywhere.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard anyone talk about it, but can all apps run on the front screen? Or only ones that are designed for it?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take, only thing stopping it from being the new hot item is the price. I think once the tech is more polished they can get down to premium pricing levels it will be the new standard in cell phones
Yeah having a tablet size that can be carried around phone sized is going to be popular I think. More people continue to use smartphones as their primary/only computer.

Feb 1, 2018
I have a hell of a time hiring employees not because they're lacking the technical ability but because they're lacking the ability to try something new, to think differently, and to experiment with new things.

I'm all for experimentation, but it should be done in an R&D environment and should be incorporated into a final shipping product if you know for sure it's going to change things in a big way. This device is a great design study/proof-of-concept but it's not gonna sell at all, and maybe Samsung doesn't want it to sell, it's likely just a trophy product or flagship to remind the world about their hardware expertise. Reminds me of the RED Hydrogen.

Personally I just hate mechanical elements on phones. Anything that moves = failure point.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a samsung guy at all, but the tech is dope. In a few generations this will be standard

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah having a tablet size that can be carried around phone sized is going to be popular I think. More people continue to use smartphones as their primary/only computer.
As big as phones are, I am still amazed people will binge watch on them.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for experimentation, but it should be done in an R&D environment and should be incorporated into a final shipping product if you know for sure it's going to change things in a big way. This device is a great design study/proof-of-concept but it's not gonna sell at all, and maybe Samsung doesn't want it to sell, it's likely just a trophy product or flagship to remind the world about their hardware expertise. Reminds me of the RED Hydrogen.

Personally I just hate mechanical elements on phones. Anything that moves = failure point

I'm pretty sure Samsung essentially acknowledged that at the price point it's at, it's meant for a very niche market like Samsung fanboys or super early tech adopters that have too much extra money laying around.

At least this phone is built on current technology and isn't 2-3 years behind in just processing power like the RED phone.

With all that said, it is driving Samsung's display tech forward which is exciting to see.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As soon as it's under $1000 it's mine. I'm convinced this is the next big evolution of the smart phone standard form factor. I can't wait to see how they refine the design, right now it really reminds me of the original iphone in that it's a bit clunky, but the potential is obvious.