• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'll walk into a Best Buy, sample the floor model, go "that's very nice" and be on my merry way, $2000 bucks still in hand. Aint no way watching a youtube video slightly bigger sometimes is worth 2k+.
Let me guess, he thinks it's incredible and rags on Apple in some way in the video
Yes, and at one point samples his own video where he's proclaiming how he's switching from his MBP to a Lenovo or something, big shock :P

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got to say I will probably wait for rollable (even if it rolls into some sort of prism to allow for solid chips) mobiles.

Folding where the crease is right in the centre just doesn't seem the right path...

ps3ud0 8)

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Lol! I remember someone of the old site saying this exact thing about the note 1 and phablets back in 2011
Back in 2011 the market was booming for anything smartphone related.

We are in Laptop territory now where bigger screens just don't cut it anymore especially since most consumers just use social media where a folded phone makes little sense.

I might be wrong, I'll eat crow if I am, I just don't see it. Maybe when a foldable Xiaomi 200$ phone comes out people will buy them.

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Phone prices are getting higher every year and now they are getting into ridiculous territory, it's not even just a case of having the money it's actually bringing myself to pay £1000+ for a phone. Looks like I'm sticking with my Pixel 2 XL for a while.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Phone prices are getting higher every year and now they are getting into ridiculous territory, it's not even just a case of having the money it's actually bringing myself to pay £1000+ for a phone. Looks like I'm sticking with my Pixel 2 XL for a while.

this is a new category. You still have your traditional smartphones that costs 1000 or less

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
surprisingly, impressions have been positive so far from the few reviewers i am reading. Though that price..............ouch man.

will wait till this becomes the commonality.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
MKBHD said he sees and feels it, and I can see it through a video. It's like a permanent watermark on the screen.

In that case, notches are better because they are at least technically outside the screen and not "in" it. I'm serious.

Yeah, the crease looks awful and probably feels awful too.

It's cool to see foldable phones become reality, but nothing about it is exciting to me yet. I'll be back in 5+ years... Assuming the concept isn't dead by then.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While it's disheartening that prices are continuing to increase, I try to think of it from the perspective of this being the piece of technology I most rely on and that I use every day of my life.

Few things are worth that kind of money. Having a premium experience with something that I'll use for an hour+ every day for possibly 3 years is absolutely one of them, to me at least.

(That said miss me with this £2000 shit)

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
While it's disheartening that prices are continuing to increase, I try to think of it from the perspective of this being the piece of technology I most rely on and that I use every day of my life.

Few things are worth that kind of money. Having a premium experience with something that I'll use for an hour+ every day for possibly 3 years is absolutely one of them, to me at least.

(That said miss me with this £2000 shit)
And in the case of Samsung, these things are trying to be full on desktop/laptop replacements. That's why the 10 line has so much RAM and storage. Dex and Linux On Dex are supposed to be the future. All we need is a laptop shell we can slot a phone into that's roughly ultrabook size and Windows 10 Arm to be ported to Dex and Samsung will have a major leg forward in where they're trying to get things to go.

That's why these things are expensive. That and people are buying them and not paying attention to the mid-high Mid Range devices.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I guess they're not sending testers to Jerryrig. Can't wait to see him take it apart and do a scratch test (lol).

Hopefully at least one reviewer is going to try sitting on it, I want to know how tough that hinge is.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else think the small screen looks dumb?

Looking forward to the Switch Fold in about a decade, anyway.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait when the concept is more polished and offered at a more reasonable price. I think it's super exciting and it is cool that Samsung is releasing this.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
So why is that the main comment on this phone and not in every iPhone thread ever?
For the same reason it's not the main comment in the threads of the equally as expensive Galaxy S10?
Those phones are extremely refined and tested phones, this is a weird ass first generation product that'll be obsolete before you can blink

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
For the same reason it's not the main comment in the threads of the equally as expensive Galaxy S10?
Those phones are extremely refined and tested phones, this is a weird ass first generation product that'll be obsolete before you can blink
It was the main comment in the s10 thread....
And since they are new and experimental they should be $9.99?

Oct 29, 2017
And in the case of Samsung, these things are trying to be full on desktop/laptop replacements. That's why the 10 line has so much RAM and storage. Dex and Linux On Dex are supposed to be the future. All we need is a laptop shell we can slot a phone into that's roughly ultrabook size and Windows 10 Arm to be ported to Dex and Samsung will have a major leg forward in where they're trying to get things to go.

That's why these things are expensive. That and people are buying them and not paying attention to the mid-high Mid Range devices.
Is this ultimately what Samsung are working towards?

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
They shouldn't be $9 but you also shouldn't realistically expect any normal person to buy it at that price, as opposed to normal phones.
I don't expect them to buy them at any price...
I expect early adopters to get them, like any new experimental tech.
When I was selling Nokia 3330's I had a £1200 8910i, I didn't try and talk them into it.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

That's kinda what I wanted a Surface Phone to be. Hook it up to a screen, get full-fletched Windows. I know, they did have Continuum, but it wasn't even close to being the same thing.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
As big as phones are, I am still amazed people will binge watch on them.
The thing is though, the Fold's screen is still taller than wide even when unfoldet, which means you gain exactly zero screen space compared to a phone of similar height but with a 16*9 screen (probably a S10+ in this case). And it's not like this one is really pocketable either.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Love what I've seen of it, out of my price range but look forward to getting one when they make them cheaper. One thing, surprised they didn't make it with a stylus this would be the ultimate Note.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I'm sorry, but that crease right down the middle is more annoying than any notch.

As long as I don't use it to watch 2-hour feature length movie, I don't really care. I don't mind the gap if I am watch TV show, documentary, browsing the web or doing anything else.

I just don't like the form factor. It should have a bigger outer screen and bigger inside screen.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Looks nice in tablet mode and I can really see how having that function in your pocket is appealing. But damn, that front phone screen is absolutely hideous.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool and seems to work quite well. The huge notch is fugly though, why didn't they put the selfie camera in the front screen?

When a notchless version is available for under €1000 I'm interested.
I watched the video yesterday but if I remember correctly, there is a selfie camera on the outside screen, making the notch completely pointless. Especially when you consider that nobody's gonna be taking selfies in tablet mode.

I don't mind the crease but that notch is super dumb.

Edit: 8:15 into the unbox therapy video.

Edit 2: With how small that outer screen is, they could have easily fit the high quality exterior cameras above the external screen... There's like 4 redundant cameras on this thing but no room for a headphone jack.

Last edited:

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Very tempting, but no S-Pen support kind of defeats the purpose of the increased screen real estate.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I watched the video yesterday but if I remember correctly, there is a selfie camera on the outside screen, making the notch completely pointless. Especially when you consider that nobody's gonna be taking selfies in tablet mode.

I don't mind the crease but that notch is super dumb.

Edit: 8:15 into the unbox therapy video.

Edit 2: With how small that outer screen is, they could have easily fit the high quality exterior cameras above the external screen... There's like 4 redundant cameras on this thing but no room for a headphone jack.

I guess there are a lot of people who would use the tablet mode selfie cams for video calls/conference calls. And don't underestimate the amount of people who would like to take their selfies with a bigger viewfinder aka the big tablet screen.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017

This sounds awesome tbh. Like I've always dreamed of having a viable DT experience that I could use a dock with in a cell phone form factor.

As to the Samsung "bend" (whoops, fold lol) it IS a cellphone and a tablet but no pen??? (did I miss the pen?)

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
It makes for a good unboxing video.

I could see a future iteration being cool for sure but I prefer my x/pro combo over 1 funky ass device.

I will applaud Samsung for pushing the tech to consumers.