• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Playing it around this time 10 years ago was a truly mind blowing experience. That phrase get's thrown around a lot, but I just couldn't believe what I was playing at the time. The set piece moments, and the near perfect pacing. The presentation was just second to none, leagues ahead of everything else.

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
One of the best games I have ever played. It was also the first game that I interacted with/made friends with people on the online community.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Those are great, too, but its also still a joy to play and I've always had more fun with the series than Gears, even though I enjoyed the originals of that series.
Different priorities, I have always prefered Gears as it's more "gameplay oriented", I have even played the multiplayer with friends during the 360 days, which is a thing I rarely do. I played about 2-3 hours of Uncharted 2 MP and got bored, but as I said it's surprising that I have even tried it as I usually play the SP modes of games only.

I had fun with Uncharted of course, but even if it appears more dynamic as the game has more verticality/jumps etc..., the games prior to 4 have a restrictive encounter design, the great setpieces that are interesting during your first playthrough become limited/restrictive sections if you replay the games. Same with stealth sections and all the platforming in the game. This is the main reason I have no desire to replay them (even if I replay the games I like often), because the elements that got more attention during development are only great the first time for me.

Even 4 that has more freedom to explore and combat (and has a far better combat than the older games) felt mostly boring and the new pacing doesn't work well with a game that tries to be a bombastic action movie.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
I am probably in the minority on this, but I think the Uncharted series in general haven't really aged all to well. I feel like the game play doesn't feel all that great and the stories in those games, while charming, were kind of lacking depth to make them really interesting.
Agreed. I think the stories are kinda just a whole lot of nothing, despite everyone lauding them. We all know exactly how it's gonna turn out at the end. There's not much substance in them.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Agreed. I think the stories are kinda just a whole lot of nothing, despite everyone lauding them. We all know exactly how it's gonna turn out at the end. There's not much substance in them.

Don't think many people say the actual story itself is amazing. It's more the execution, the cast and the chemistry between them all that everyone loves.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The first game is the only one that feels dated. How many games have the polish, production values and set pieces that match even Uncharted 2?

I was more agreeing with "the gameplay wasn't all that great and the stories, while charming, were lacking depth to make them interesting." Which I don't think is really wrong, the stories aren't that deep and all the games have some issues when it comes to actual gameplay.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Revolutionary game really. Nothing fucking close to it at the time. The set pieces, especially the train blew my fucking mind into pieces.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
definitely influential

not as influential as your Metal Gear Solid or your GTA 3 or Resident Evil 4

but it created a "mini-revolution" of the set piece cinematic style of games that followed years later

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Think about this. Not only was UC2 absolutely incredible and a landmark title in the industry for all time but it has in 2019 not even been matched by any other franchise or game series in spectacle that wasn't made by ND themselves. Dead Space 2 is the only one that even really tried. Even playing through the newest Gears which is visually stunning it doesn't come close to creating those set pieces you can actually play. So many times I'll be playing a game and a cutscene will start and I will think - If this was an ND game I would be playing this whole scene. That to me is remarkable and UC2 really created that.

Stop reminding me how old I am, damn it.

UC2 MP is still my favorite multiplayer experience. Good times were had.

Best MP on PS3 if we're not counting Killzone 2 multiplayer beta.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I love this game when it came out and still do to this day. I know all the haters will come for this game as they usually do but this game is incredible and nothing will take that away. This game changes the way voice work and motion capture animation in games. I hope when the PlayStation 10 comes out Sony remasters this game for the next next generation.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Really captured and perfected the feeling of being in a summer action blockbuster. Still my favorite game in the series after all these years. That pacing. From Nepal onward was just *chef's kiss*

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Great game ruined by awful controls at the time.

cant count how many times I ran off the train because of the sluggishness.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I found it unbelievable how absolutely excellent this game this was when it first came out. While the first was a charming but middle of the road effort, this one was just like---man I don't know how many more times I will be able to have a response to a game like I did to Uncharted 2 for the rest of my days.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I still don't know where I stand on it besides that it's a fun romp. It isn't too deep as a game, and maybe doesn't need to be but even in 2010 when playing Mass Effect 2 I said to myself that it offered a better game experience than Uncharted 2, because while the animation quality was worse it still shows how Uncharted relies on entirely prescripted set-pieces, and that's what Uncharted wants to be I think. It's like a playable action movie where the props are charmingly put into place to create the illusion of realistic destruction to the audience, and it's charming in that sense.

If what you want is a sense of actually real mayhem or danger though, it all only comes from the aggression of the AI and their bullets. The rest does feel artificial to me, because a lot of the setpieces sort of move in chunks based on the player's movement where there is a timer, and if you wait too long you die as scripted and but for the duration that it can wait you also see the setpieces, as if, wait for the player to react which can ruin the illusion, and which it did a couple of times.

I think the game is influential in the implementation of real "acting" in games. Games did already do motion capture but this is the game that really made it "acting", I felt because most other games before Uncharted 2 would seperate motion captured choreographies with voice-acted dubs, and Uncharted 2 actually doesn't overdub it.

A one-time game is fun every now and then but they'll probably never be my top 10. A lot of it is flavor as well. I like my Indiana Jones esque romp but I'm more of a world-building guy and prefer to see games that offer something that can't be done in cinema.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
To this day this is one of the most groundbreaking games of all time. I have a hard time remembering if I have ever felt such a generational leap within a console generation before.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Still the best Uncharted. Unbelievable game. Can still remember the exact store I bought it from and playing it for the first time. Magical.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
Love the uncharted series, and 2 is my favorite, followed closely by 3, then by LL, then by 4, then by 1. Still haven't played golden abyss on vita even though I own it. The train level on UC2 is just unreal, blew my mind back in the day and is still amazing when played on PS4.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
As soon as you say you like a popular thing on era all of a sudden the nit pickers come out of the woodworks to say it wasn't all that good.

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game, infinitely replayable. Easily one of my favorite TPS.

I always say this, but one element I particularly appreciate is how the blue dudes and the yetis are different enemy types that you fight differently, even though they're the same in the story.

Uncharted 3 also had enemies that were technically illusions, but still added just as much to enemy variety as any real monster. Too bad the series is too grown up and mature for enemy variety now.

Thank God they didn't bring this mentality to The Last of Us Part II.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Still the best uncharted by a mile. Best action, best set pieces and best banter/humour (statue of your mom!).

So many great moments but the part that sticks in my mind was meeting Elena again, aka, last years model. Didn't expect that and the situation was handled really well.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
It was a fun game, and certainly the best in the series. The multiplayer was pretty good as well until they patched the fun out of it.

Never came even close to wanting to replay it after finishing it a single time.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need a 30 for 30 on how ND managed to pull of U2 w/ less than 2 years of dev time.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it was a hell of a game, and i actually played the co-op alot more than i thought i would

one of the greatest examples of a video game sequel, flawless evolution

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
If what you want is a sense of actually real mayhem or danger though, it all only comes from the aggression of the AI and their bullets. The rest does feel artificial to me, because a lot of the setpieces sort of move in chunks based on the player's movement where there is a timer, and if you wait too long you die as scripted and but for the duration that it can wait you also see the setpieces, as if, wait for the player to react which can ruin the illusion, and which it did a couple of times.

What about the segment in the OP? Those desks flying around can kill you. And while the jumps kind of magnetise, you can totally leap to your death during the truck chase. Same with the signals above the train while fighting atop it. Part of what made UC2 special is the degree of playability and risk during those setpieces, finding a good balance between scripted and playable to degrees not achieved before (or since, in some ways). It laid the groundwork for the best setpieces in the series in the truck chases in UC4 and The Lost Legacy which are full of "real" danger to the player (like jumping a truck into a train, which can totally go wrong if you don't do it right).

To say it's all merely an illusion undersells a lot of what the game does. Most games never even attempt to make this stuff playable, let alone walking the fine line between "scripted/guided" and "dangerous/possible to lose"

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I am probably in the minority on this, but I think the Uncharted series in general haven't really aged all to well. I feel like the game play doesn't feel all that great and the stories in those games, while charming, were kind of lacking depth to make them really interesting.
I agree. UC2 is my least favorite. That last boss was one of the worst in history and that killed it for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Far and away the best Uncharted game.
I agree. UC2 is my least favorite. That last boss was one of the worst in history and that killed it for me.
UC2 last boss is the only good last boss in the series. It integrates climbing and shooting into a cat and mouse game. It was meh all things considered but all of the other Uncharted final bosses are so bad except maybe 1 that it's not really noteworthy.
I always found it a bit odd that the most core gameplay-focused final boss fight in the series was the most derided. UC1 and UC3's were QTE filled, but they were easier because of that.

UC1 wasn't that QTE-filled, just at the very end, but yeah I agree it is weird that 2 is hated on when it's basically the only one that tried to actually function like a last boss usually should.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Best Uncharted game with the best Uncharted multiplayer. One of the biggest wow moments for me was when you got to the top of the hotel and could see the games progression spanning out for miles in the distance.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Still absolutely love it. It's one of those games I find myself returning to from time to time. Just a great fun ride. Marco... Polo... Fish out of water!