• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I'd need to see the original cutscene again to see why they changed between warm and cool lighting.

This was also funny at the end:

Nate: That doesn't look anything like a bandicoot.

Elena: Have you seen a bandicoot?

Nate: No, but I'm sure they don't wear sneakers.
Lighting setup changes on a shot-by-shot basis to make the character in focus as appealing as possible. Movies and TV shows work in the exact same way.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
EFmAAQr.gif

VG6NGTh.gif

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Seeing all these animations up close... We are truly blessed by the naughtyGods.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
? The facial animation in Injustice 2 is even better than this.

Injustice 2 gets too close into the uncanny valley, which Uncharted 4 doesn't. Thats really what sets them apart from everyone else. I'm guessing they have better actors too.

Injustice 2 still looks great though.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I gotta say, the slow zoom into the picture is great.

Nathan is so focused on it.

Then the quick zoom out when he's caught. Perfect.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
GiftedFlawlessAmericanratsnake.gif

Some of y'all be tripping on here.

No shade to Injustice 2, wonderful game but come on.

I think Injustice 2 does have technically better facial animations overall, but almost to the point where it borders on uncanny valley in some cutscenes. With that said, UC4 has better lighting and textures than Injustice which helps to lend an extra coat of realism to the overall presentation. IMO you could make an argument for either game having the superior presentation with regard to facial animation, it just depends on the cutscene and what you're looking for.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
GiftedFlawlessAmericanratsnake.gif

Some of y'all be tripping on here.

No shade to Injustice 2, wonderful game but come on.

Come on what?

My%2BVideo.gif

Injustice 2 gets too close into the uncanny valley, which Uncharted 4 doesn't. Thats really what sets them apart from everyone else. I'm guessing they have better actors too.

Injustice 2 still looks great though.

IJ2 gets closer to the "uncanny valley" precisely because the animation is more realistic and detailed than UC4, especially when it comes to lip syncing.

WHy4ziW.gif

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Come on what?

My%2BVideo.gif

IJ2 gets closer to the "uncanny valley" precisely because the animation is more realistic and detailed than UC4, especially when it comes to lip syncing.

WHy4ziW.gif
I could be wrong, but aren't they using the same facial capture tech? Engine, direction, lighting choice etc would definitely play an important role also of course.

Also the guy playing was way better at Crash than Nate would be. Total immersion breaking.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I could be wrong, but aren't they using the same facial capture tech? Engine, direction, lighting choice etc would definitely play an important role also of course.

Also the guy playing was way better at Crash than Nate would be. Total immersion breaking.
I don't think the facial rig used in UC4 was as advanced.

TLOU2 is on another level compared to UC4 though.

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot about this scene. I like scenes like this where characters just sit down to talk about stuff. I think I remember Tales of Berseria having something like this between Rokurou and Aizen, and the campfire stuff in FFXV for more examples.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did a walking the walk on Uncharted 4 and that scene in particular. It is pretty insane what they captured there and maybe its the subtly versus some of the more over the top situations but that one in particular felt real.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
This is very old (I mean the stufff he was trying to do with the games). There was even young Nathan VS Nadine and he even imporetd TLOU characters in Uncharted games and vice versa. he even maanged to make Nathan Drake playable in the Crash Bandicoot game which was so funny.
He wroks with the owner of this channel too. You should check what he does that I mentioned.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I think Injustice 2 does have technically better facial animations overall, but almost to the point where it borders on uncanny valley in some cutscenes. With that said, UC4 has better lighting and textures than Injustice which helps to lend an extra coat of realism to the overall presentation. IMO you could make an argument for either game having the superior presentation with regard to facial animation, it just depends on the cutscene and what you're looking for.

Injustice 2 has great looking facial animations but they're exaggerated and not realistic TBH. Almost like an animated cartoon which fits the game style. Uncharted 4 has subtle facial muscle movements and tiny animated wrinkles that are not present in IJ2. Even the pupils in the eyes constrict and dilate in Uncharted 4. Also Muscle and fat deformation. You can even see Drake's jaw bone moving under the skin in one of the scenes and many more subtle details. It's not just the lighting and textures that makes it look better.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Injustice 2 characters looked like they all had a sudden case of the runs mid-conversation and are trying desperately not to go to the bathroom in their costumes.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I synced and watched the original and modded side by side to get a better perspectives on the lighting shifts. Overall, the fidelity exists in the raw data to convert this game into a First Person Action Adventure and going the route of Half Life or GoW (no cuts). The facial mo-cap and additional tuning by hand on these projects by ND (and a few other devs) are profoundly nuanced and rich in detail.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great but not like a real person, some of you would be the first to die if an invasion of the body snatchers happens

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
this really highlights how beautiful elena is. Damn Im attracted to a video game character now.

EDIT: OH GOD. I feel like she is talking to me. I am infatuated with her.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The lighting shifts and animation shifts due to the adjustments of different cuts is interesting to watch from this perspective. Helps highlight the adjustments and work that goes into their cinematography.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
TLOU 2's animation technique will add so much to the gameplay that even if they don't improve upon the first the level of immersion will still be unparalleled.

I'm so excited because Uncharted 4 was already a high point.

Oct 29, 2017
The bonus about this is that now we can show people why there isn't such a thing as a downgrade in gameplay lighting vs cutscene lighting that you can mod. You light cinematic shots per camera setup, and therefore they are a stronger composition to gameplay shots when you give camera freedom to the player.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
This is very old 5i mean the stufff he was trying to do with the games). There was even young Nathan VS Nadine and he even imporetd TLOU characters in Uncharted games and vice versa. he even maanged to make Nathan Drake playable in the Crash Bandicoot game which was so funny.
He wroks with the owner of this channel too. You should check what he does that I mentioned.
Yo this channel is amazing

Number 10 in this video is too much

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Come on what?

My%2BVideo.gif

WHy4ziW.gif
Netherrealm have got to have one of the biggest game to game improvements I have ever seen for a video game. Their graphics and animation had a certain look to them for damn near a decade if not longer, and then IJ2 comes out and is draw dropping how much they have improved.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is super great, but the cuts to different takes that were never meant to be seen are throwing me the fuck off haha. It's like being in a VR version of a film editing room.

Also I need the first-person version of the argument scene ASAP.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This just makes me wish someone with ND quality could make a VR game. "Settling down with Elena VR" would sell Sony. Do it.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
So... he's playing on some kind of emulator, right? What kind of PC do you need to emulate a PS4 game like Uncharted 4?