• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing this game for seemingly 20 hours and I feel like 95% of the time has been spent "climbing" rocks, swinging on bars that almost break, doing annoying puzzles, or enduring the forced slow walk sections while listening to movie style banter. Just this level I'm in right now has dragged on way too long. It's the snowy forest level next to the ocean you play with Drake's brother. It's just scaling cliffs nonstop, or boosting Sam up to a ledge that is apparently too high to jump to (even though Drake was scaling a cliff like a monkey man a moment ago and making much more difficult jumps). Now I'm deeper into a cave and looks like I'm going to be doing the same stuff. There is no end in sight. The very few and brief shootouts weren't fun either. Drake seems to control like shit in this game and feels like he weighs 300 pounds. He can't turn on a dime and there has to be an animation for every little thing. It's like ND focused on realism at the expense of playability.

I don't remember UC2 or UC3 being like this. I remember enjoying their campaigns and the shooting sections and overall movement felt more precise. The platforming and puzzles were also more interspersed and didn't feel overbearing like in UC4. Either this game is bad or the Soulsborne games have really spoiled me.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember UC2 or UC3 being like this. I remember enjoying their campaigns and the shooting sections and overall movement felt more precise. The platforming and puzzles were also more interspersed and didn't feel overbearing like in UC4.

U4 is a very different feeling game to U2 and U3 for sure. I landed the same as you, I didn't really enjoy U4 because I cared less about the story and characters and cared more about the action and shooting sections. The balance was a little off for my taste in the end.

To answer your thread title question - it doesn't radically change between 20 hours in and the end. It's a long game but you've probably seen the majority of what it offers at this point. If you're not enjoying it I'd drop it.

Alethiometer

alt account
Banned
May 29, 2018
It's the same game all the way through, but the last few chapters have more enemy encounters. The pacing is all over the place because there isn't that many cool or memorable set-pieces now and the game is 5 hours longer than UC3. Keep playing if you enjoy the visuals, because aside from them the game doesn't have much to offer.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
bucket

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you arent enjoying it by now Im not sure you will. That said I do think the second half of the game is paced better. Youre in Scotland right now, IMO the game really hits its stride in the next chapter. Its probably worth pushing a little further to see if you change your mind.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Drop it and move on.
And no, it doesn't get any better if you're not enjoying the gameplay itself which is make or break for many: eg. Killzone 2.
P.S. I loved UC4 and Killzone 2.

WITHE1982

Oct 28, 2017

Ha was gonna post the exact same thing but thought someone would do it for me.

OP game really isn't for you IMO. It's a cinematic story adventure game with scripted sequences intermingled with some forced walking and cut scenes. Honest question but were you expecting something different from the 4th game in the series?

The pacing is something this entry gets a lot of flack for and if you're not enjoying it up to this point I don't think it'll improve for you.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
UC4 definitely controls better than the rest of the series and gives you far more combat options than anything that came before. A lot of what you describe not liking is very par for the course for the series and to be expected in a 4th game. Maybe it's been a long time since you played the other games?

What exactly about 'movie style banter' is out of place in this game or what exactly do you not like about that? That's been a staple of the series from the beginning.

It sounds like you very much dislike the game. What could this thread possibly illuminate that your first hand experience hasn't already told you? There sure have been a lot of threads like this today. Not giving the board a lot to work with.

Oct 27, 2017
If you're not into it by now OP I'd probably stop. It's basically more of the same in differing environments.

For what it's worth, I loved it. I think it's a wonderful game.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely the slowest in the series, that's for sure.
Lost Legacy was more my cup of tea, as that constantly keeps you engaged in the actual gameplay.

Play until the next location at least though. If you enjoy the gameplay during that, but find the rest of the game to be underwhelming, you'll probably love Lost Legacy.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought the game was a huge bore until the end.

When
Elena joins you

it actually picks up and ends pretty strongly. Up until that point I had to fight the urge to stop playing. So many bad pacing issues.

OP
OP

Deleted member 13628

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ha was gonna post the exact same thing but thought someone would do it for me.

OP game really isn't for you IMO. It's a cinematic story adventure game with scripted sequences intermingled with some forced walking and cut scenes. Honest question but were you expecting something different from the 4th game in the series?
I was. Like I said (and maybe my memory is foggy here), but I don't remember UC2 or even UC3 being like this. Even though they were also cinematic adventure games.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
If enough of these threads get made, will Naughty Dog be forced to give back all the Game of the Year awards that Uncharted 4 won?

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the point of LTTP threads, why do we care what one person's opinion of a game is three years after the fact.

Looking forward to the twentieth BOTW thread telling me why I am wrong for liking shrines.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I was going to say the game finally gets better when you get to Scotland (chapter 8 I think?).

But you've played for 20 hours? I'm confused. I completed the entire game in around 12 hours.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah OP, I too thought the game was kind of disappointing and somewhat of a slog to get through. I made it to what I think is near the end of the game, but didn't finish it. I should get around to beating it someday, and then playing through Lost Legacy.

I agree in that there was too much climbing and walking, and not enough shooting/combat, and that combat wasn't as fun and diverse as it should have been.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
UC4 is pretty different compared to the other games in the series. It was really surprising reading reviews for it claiming it was just "more Uncharted". Even though I enjoyed it I can see why fans of the previous games wouldn't.

I'd check out Lost Legacy. It feels like a sequel to UC2. It's about eight hours long (if you 100% chapter 4) and paced extremely well. The perfect mix of action, traversal, and puzzles and the game never outstays its welcome like some other games in the series.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
LOL, every Sony game has been criticized but nothing takes away from naming these games, it's blasphemy:
Killzone Shadowfall
DriveClub
Knack (Game of the Generation)

These were all amazing games from a technical and visual point of view. ESPECIALLY KNACK!

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't i was really disappointed in 4 being a big fan of the ps3 trilogy. But I admit I think it's more to do with 3rd person wave shooter burn out.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I must of been the only one who liked the story in the game... but if your not liking the gameplay, then maybe the game isn't for you. I will say that on normal the game is rather boring, since there is no challenge there. The melee combat in this is very poor, but everything else it does better than the other uncharted games.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
is ''95% of the time'' you've been climbing rocks, we haven't played the same game

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's practically a climbing simulator.

Only thing good about it are the graphics and the scripted parts, that got spoiled on the trailers before release.

I think that 2 and 3 are way better than 4.

OP
OP

Deleted member 13628

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say the game finally gets better when you get to Scotland (chapter 8 I think?).

But you've played for 20 hours? I'm confused. I completed the entire game in around 12 hours.
I have no idea how long my play time actually. Just feels like 20 hours and the game has not picked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.