• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
1500x500

Release Dates: December 13, 2019 (Limited Release), December 25th, 2019 (Wide Release, U.S. only), January 2020 (Netflix, non-U.S. only)
Genre: Crime, Thriller
Runtime: 134 Minutes
Distributor: A24 (United States), Netflix (International Release)
Synopsis:
From acclaimed filmmakers Josh and Benny Safdie (Good Time, Heaven Knows What) comes an electrifying crime thriller about Howard Ratner (Adam Sandler), a charismatic New York City jeweler always on the lookout for the next big score. When he makes a series of high-stakes bets that could lead to the windfall of a lifetime, Howard must perform a precarious high-wire act, balancing business, family, and encroaching adversaries on all sides, in his relentless pursuit of the ultimate win.
-A24
Trailer:

• Adam Sandler as Howard Ratner
  • Kevin Garnett as himself
  • Idina Menzel as Dinah Ratner
  • Lakeith Stanfield as Demany
  • Julia Fox as Julia
  • Eric Bogosian as Arno
  • The Weeknd as himself
  • Paloma Elsesser as Kat
  • Keith Williams Richards as Phil
  • Judd Hirsch as Gooey
  • Mike Francesa as Gary
  • Noa Fisher as Marcel
  • Pom Klementieff as Lexus
  • Directed by: Josh and Benny Safdie
  • Written by: Ronald Bronstein, Josh and Benny Safdie
  • Produced by: Scott Rudin, Sebastian Bear-McClard, Eli Bush
  • Executive Producers: Martin Scorsese, Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Oscar Boyson, Anthony Katagas, David Koplan
  • Music by: Oneohtrix Point Never
  • Director of Photography: Darius Khondji
  • Editors: Ronald Bronstein, Benny Safdie
Production Companies: A24, Elara Pictures, IAC Films

Last edited:

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Let me know if you can think of a better OT title than I did.
If it was bad you could go with:
"How can you sell this for such a low price?", "because it's total crap."
Famous quote from the owner of a UK jewellery company, who was also called Ratner, which killed the company

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
To think Adam Sandler could win an Oscar truly the irony is real
That shit ain't happening. But a nomination is plenty feasible.
The Best Actor category is a two-horse race between Joaquin Phoenix (Joker) and Adam Driver (Marriage Story) right now.

Leonard Dicaprio (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) and Antonio Banderas (Pain and Glory) are pretty much locks for nominations.

5th nom could go to any one of Sandler, De Niro (The Irishman), Murphy (Dolemite is My Name), Pryce (The Two Popes), Bale (Ford v Ferrari) or Egerton (Rocketman).

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My review, can't wait for others to experience this!

Uncut Gems

Brilliant, often laugh out loud hilarious, and anxiety-inducing thrill ride throughout with even fewer moments of respite than the previous Good Time. Characters shouting at each other, the overwhelming Daniel Lopatin music returns, and Adam Sandler's Howard Ratner who's a NY jeweller is just booking it everywhere to get away from his debt collectors.

Surprised by how good Kevin Garnett was in this, he's obsessed with this black opal (which may or may not be worth a million) that Howard shows him and keeps it as a good luck charm. I was hooked by the basketball games as there's a lot of money and character fates riding on them, even though I don't know the ins and outs of the sport. Lakeith Stanfield is in total grifter mode here which is a change of pace from his more good-willed roles. Idina Menzel does great as the most rational straight character here, and her frustrations are palpable. Judd Hirsch makes for a fun respite as the older uncle. If I ever see Keith Williams Richards (the violent debt collector) in real life, I'm running away too!

Adam Sandler is in peak restless mode and though his range isn't as wide as in Punch Drunk Love, this is one of his best performances even if he's an unreliable asshole who deserves MOST of what he's getting. All the other characters telling him to calm down becomes a running gag and it feels like almost a homage to all the other rage monsters he's played before.

Even though it's a different cinematographer this time around (Sean Price Williams was DP for Heaven Knows What and Good Time), Darius Khondji maintains the gritty New York vibes (appropriately Martin Scorsese is an exec producer here) along with masterful editing by Ronald Bronstein and Benny Safdie. Daniel Lopatin doesn't stick to just electronics this time with the music score, it's more varied although it's not as haunting as his Good Time score, yet still can't wait to listen to it.

Socially and thematically, this is different from previous Safdie joints in the way that it's more about the rich and famous rather than the working class but there's still a lot of class intersection which exemplifies New York City itself. Despite Howard not being a good person, since most of the running screen time is focused on him, I couldn't help but pity and then even root for him. These are all really well realised, lived-in characters and the verisimilitude is so good that even following this Machiavellian world is fascinating.

Safdie bros are 3 for 3 now!

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I completely forget that in the right movie Sandler is incredible but he just chooses or makes the wrong movies. From what I heard this a damn insanely paced movie.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Still prefer Good Time, but this was fantastic

If Good Time was a grimy riptide of a crime thriller, Uncut Gems is a whirlwind. The frantic anxiety doesn't gradually escalate and it doesn't stop; the movie starts in the middle of a fuck-up hurricane and only intensifies from there.

First impressions tend to say a lot. So Howard Ratner must be an asshole, considering we're introduced to him by way of camera traveling through his rectum mid-colonoscopy. Loud, gaudy, powered by skittish sleazy adrenaline and a compulsive gambling habit, Howard is already a man drowning at the start of Uncut Gems. Within ten minutes, at least three people ask where their money is; every time, Howard unconvincingly promises it's coming like the rat he is. Adam Sandler disappears into the role much like Pattinson did in Good Time, using his comedic talents to heighten Howard's pathetic personality and gleeful relish for the hustle. He may be an utterly unlikable human being, but his awe-inspiring lack of self-preservation is just so immensely entertaining.

Howard is already on the hook with a local loan shark for a hundred grand, so the titular mesmerizing opal arrives at the perfect time. When Celtics player Kevin Garnett enters his jewelry shop, Howard seizes the opportunity, starting a chaotic chain reaction of pawning, schemes, and further upsets of his deteriorating life. The man, thus the movie, never stops. There isn't conversation in Uncut Gems, just a cacophony of frustrated voices and sounds of the city. There aren't chases or clever outwitting because Howard is too incompetent to ever flee effectively. Instead, panicked gambits and stalling pile up amid beatings and threats. Even the quiet moments maintain the anxiety since that quiet is not calm, but rather minute extensions to a shortening fuse. If not a flurry of texts shattering the calm and quiet, then it's a coldly-staring tail, or someone else asking for their money, or Howard's distracted demeanor as gears turn in his head. It's those moments, where Howard isn't in the midst of his hustle-or-death antics, where he could show some humanity but doesn't, that really highlight how much of a unrepentant scumbag the character is. Family, friends, money, self-respect, all are sacrificed upon the altar of greed, and it is electrifying.

Uncut Gems may be relentless but it didn't quite surpass Good Time for me. This movie doesn't have its predecessor's urgent single-night odyssey or Connie's cold calculating shrewdness or the leaner grimier thrills. But that's more a matter of taste than of quality. Uncut Gems is undoubtably a masterclass of stressful cinema, second only to Climax for this year's most anxiety-inducing film. The Safdie Brothers continue to master their craft, and I can't wait to see what they accomplish next

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Might be an unpopular opinion but i hated this movie. Adam Sandler was loud and obnoxious. The whole movie score and background noise was overly loud and obnoxious as well. The acting was ehhh, the story line was decent enough through predictable.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
A really good interview with the brothers on casting, the script, filming on location, etc
When we got to scouting, it became a nightmare: elevators on Shabbos stopping on every floor, all sorts of different stuff. A logistical mess. So we abandoned that, and decided to build everything in Howard's office and showroom on a stage. And the challenge there – I'm gonna get to your question – was how to bring 47th Street to our stage on Long Island. We ended up just bringing people from the actual street to come hang out, and our casting director found a lot of the right people to populate the setting and give the walls life.

Take that idea on this meticulous, obsessive level, and apply it to getting Adam Sandler and Eric Bogosian on a busy street corner. It was a mandate from the beginning for Amy Lauritsen, our first AD, that we would never close down a street. Ever. She had done that on Succession, maybe some other TV, and she was aware of how something like that works. There are ways of doing it – people with sandwich boards, that's part of it.
Was it always going to be Adam Sandler?

JS: 2010, we start writing the script. 2012, me, Benny and Ronnie [Bronstein, co-writer and co-editor] were trying to figure out who could play this Al Goldstein-like Jew, who we revered in his heroism and fearlessness and humour. We all loved Adam Sandler, grew up on him. It had to be him. We went to him, having just finished Daddy Longlegs, and his team passed. Didn't even get to him. So we thought we'd make Howard older, and we started talking with Harvey Keitel. We had a Passover dinner with Amar'e Stoudemire and Harvey Keitel in 2013. Harvey's amazing – he's Harvey – but we just thought the part wasn't quite right for him. We went off and did some other stuff, and after finishing up Heaven Knows What in 2015, we came back to the idea.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome read, thank you for sharing! I've only seen Uncut Gems and Good Time and realize I now need to consume all of the movies these dudes have made. Wish they were all available on bluray, but alas. Just picked up Heaven Knows What at least.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I'm hearing great things about this movie, but the trailer doesn't do anything for me. That isn't unheard of, but you would think for a movie that's getting real Oscar buzz that they would have put together a better trailer. The current trailer feels like they didn't know how to market the movie because it feels like it's all over the place. Am i alone in this?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer does a pretty good job of presenting the movie in a bite-size format, honestly. If the trailer didn't do much for you, the movie won't either. It's extremely propulsive and manic.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Watched this last night. It's very fun and frantic, but I'm a little surprised at the breathless praise it's receiving. I'll watch everything the Safdies make in the future, their style is incredible, but nothing about this movie feels terribly interesting. I still can't tell if I like this more than Good Time, but that's high praise.

Sandler kills it in the movie, but it's definitely not his best performance (Punch-Drunk Love is just that good) although it's a very effective synthesis of his Happy Madison persona with a (very slightly) more grounded New York hustler type.

KG did a hell of a job too, and I want to see Idina Menzel in more stuff.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Fuuuuuck this movie was intense. KG stole the show. Sandler was pretty good, tho a bit over the top at points, still good tho. I think I still prefer Good Time but this is definitely another win for the Safdie bros. They are making some really unique stuff and I can't fucking wait to see what they do next.

Ending spoiler

That ending man :( - I mean Howard was a piece of shit, and he had that coming tbh, but man, was so bummed for him. The shot of his kid celebrating KGs big night hit me pretty hard
also I absolutely loved the opening sequence

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Might be an unpopular opinion but i hated this movie. Adam Sandler was loud and obnoxious. The whole movie score and background noise was overly loud and obnoxious as well. The acting was ehhh, the story line was decent enough through predictable.
I wouldn't say I hated the film, but I agree that the performances (Sandler's in particular), the writing, and the sound editing were all either weak or super obnoxious. Sandler didn't sell me at all during any scenes requiring emotional gravitas that didn't involve loudly rooting for basketball (the scene where he "cries" is especially bad and should automatically rule him out of any awards nominations!). It had its moments, but overall, this was not a particularly great film and I was glad when it was over.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
This has the most interesting sound mix of any film I've seen recently. Loved how they brought the incidental dialogue to the front of the mix to make everything sound more "realistically" bustling and urgent and anxious.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is this like the Annihilation distribution where in the USA it had traditional theatrical release and home movie sales with no known streaming future, while internationally it went straight to Netflix?

Or do we know this is coming to streaming in the USA?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Wait. I'm looking at that cast list and I'm not seeing Rob Schneider or Kevin James anywhere on there. What gives?!

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Is this like the Annihilation distribution where in the USA it had traditional theatrical release and home movie sales with no known streaming future, while internationally it went straight to Netflix?

Or do we know this is coming to streaming in the USA?

I think it's a Theatrical release only for now. Certainly will be streaming sometime within the next few months tho.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hearing great things about this movie, but the trailer doesn't do anything for me. That isn't unheard of, but you would think for a movie that's getting real Oscar buzz that they would have put together a better trailer. The current trailer feels like they didn't know how to market the movie because it feels like it's all over the place. Am i alone in this?
Have you seen Good Time?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew nothing about this beside it was Adam Sandler doing a 'serious' thing again and critics love it. Took me all of 20 minutes for me to be like 'this feels like good times' and lo and behold the same assholes that made that made this. I hate every character in this movie and its the best argument for humanity to nuke itself. That being said it was great. *tips hat*

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it, hell of a film. Love the Safdie movies

Julia Fox was legit playing herself and it was great.

OP
OP
BZL8
It's not uncommon for A24 to create "mainstream" feeling trailers when it comes to some of their major movies. For example, the trailers for The Witch, It Comes At Night, Hereditary, and the Safdie's previous effort Good Time sell a different film to the general audience than what they actually are.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Any opinion on whether #kushvision is recommended for this? Good Times was great and even better under the influence... all the talks about this being a stressful movie got me a second guessing, I don't want to get a cardiac arrest lol.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
I just felt uneasy and anxious throughout the movie, only to be rewarded with (ending spoiler) Howard ending up unceremoniously being shot in face.
unimpressed.png

Oct 28, 2017
If anxiety was a drug, this movie is what it'd feel like to trip on it.

What a performance for Sandler, I mean he just absolutely nails it. He's truly the embodiment of a character you love to hate.

And that score... once it swells in the end it made me feel something that I am familiar with at all. I love love love the decision the Safdies made to kill Howard in the most unceremonious way possible. Almost like nihilism or something.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Saw a few weeks ago and it may be my favorite of the year. If you know the Safdie's style, you know where it's going after 10 mins, but fuck is it enjoyable to see it through.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got out of seeing this tonight. Hell of a film, and a hell of a performance from Sandler. Thing is, I've met dudes exactly like Howard Ratner. Constantly scheming the next move, never fully realizing worst case scenarios, always spinning a scenario to his own best outcome. It hits at a frenetic pace the second we get out of Howard's ass camera and never lets up.

It was pretty clear things were going to go sour for Howard near the end, but I still didn't see it coming at all. The gunshot made me and the stranger sitting next to me recoil with head in hand. There's no happy ending for this sort of person, but you're still sort of rooting for him.

The film has plenty to say, and I think I need some time to digest it all. Hell of a film, I'm putting it right up with Parasite as my favorites of 2019. Now to go check out the other work from the Safdie Brothers.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Movie was amazing! Even gives Scorcese a run for his money. Sandler can act well when he tries. Hell, you can even see him just doing one of his characters most of the time but it was on-point!

Also, Sandler's sidechick is absolutely insane.
And OOTPN's score was great as usual. Great musician. Check 'em out.

I'm def. going to recommend this film to everyone.
Watching this to boost the campaign for Kevin Garnett: Best Supporting Actor.
LOL okay this got me

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Movie was amazing! Even gives Scorcese a run for his money. Sandler can act well when he tries. Hell, you can even see him just doing one of his characters most of the time but it was on-point!

Also, Sandler's sidechick is absolutely insane.

I'm def. going to recommend this film to everyone.
Not sure if you noticed in the credits, but Scorsese has an Executive Producer credit. The influence definitely shows, even if they have their own style.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Any opinion on whether #kushvision is recommended for this? Good Times was great and even better under the influence... all the talks about this being a stressful movie got me a second guessing, I don't want to get a cardiac arrest lol.

The movie is a display of full on addiction so I don't know. It is a thrill ride and a beautiful amazing film but I wouldn't call it "fun".

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Adam Sandler is quoted as being a lovable guy so it's nice to see him in a movie where he's not being treated as a joke of an actor.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Just got out of watching this. It was alright. Good acting, but too slow overall and too long because of that. 3/5