• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Safdie Bros are 2-for-2.

Sandler was great, supporting cast was great. I was shocked when they showed Arno at the table for Passover. You really gonna fuck around your family member like that...with the kind of muscle he has? I should have seen the ending coming, but damn, hell of a way to go out.

One more thing: How the fuck do you ruin a perfect ass like that by having some shmuck's name on it? HOW?!
The burial line had my audience howling.

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
Great film.

I'm surprised, though, that nobody is mentioning Eric Bogosian, who I thought gave one of the most Interesting performances as Arno the pained shark. In a movie full of great acting and powerful moments
his death haunted me the most for some strange reason I haven't wrapped my head around yet

All the characters feel so real and lived-in, as grimy and unsavory as they are, I found myself caring for them.

Bogosian was so good.
His death made me really sad. It became clear he needed the money to pay those guys who basically acted as his bodyguards, that's why he looked so worried towards the end. He was worried about what they would do, and he couldn't control them. Then that last act of them getting locked in the room broke the bodyguards and they just murdered him because they had the money right there in the shop with all those jewels.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really really hated this movie.
Not sure if I'm just missing something, but if there was a point outside "everyone in the world is a greedy asshole who only cares about themselves and money", it went over my head.
I have a bunch of petty, specific issues with how the movies handled basketball and sports betting, and way bigger issues that if I'm perfectly honest, I'm still kinda "not in front of the goyim'" on, but as a whole, it was a pretty unpleasant movie going experience, that I think I got nothing out of.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Not sure if I'm just missing something, but if there was a point outside "everyone in the world is a greedy asshole who only cares about themselves and money", it went over my head.
I have a bunch of petty, specific issues with how the movies handled basketball and sports betting, and way bigger issues that if I'm perfectly honest, I'm still kinda "not in front of the goyim'" on, but as a whole, it was a pretty unpleasant movie going experience, that I think I got nothing out of.
You probably missed a lot. https://www.interviewmagazine.com/f...chmuck-safdie-brothers-adam-sandler-julia-fox

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Bogosian was so good.
His death made me really sad. It became clear he needed the money to pay those guys who basically acted as his bodyguards, that's why he looked so worried towards the end. He was worried about what they would do, and he couldn't control them. Then that last act of them getting locked in the room broke the bodyguards and they just murdered him because they had the money right there in the shop with all those jewels.
See, I like to think
that the police show up with them still in there because the buzzer broke yet again. Dinah had called the police by the end of the film so they were on their way in some capacity. And if the cops didn't catch the goons, what are the odds that any of the shit in the case was legit to begin with lol, probably knockoffs all in there.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am Jewish, I lived in NYC, I'm a huge NBA fan and quite into sports betting, I think should have the background to understand that film, maybe I didn't, but I don't want to argue with a review that I don't know if you even agree with*. I read some positive reviews of film and my opinion on it remained the same.

Can't you tell me what you like about the movie?
There's no right or wrong here, obviously, I am interested in other people's opinion.

* Consider this line for example -
The fact that the titular gem hails from the Beta Israel is just one layer in a piling of Semitic references thicker than a slice of Bubbe's kugel.

I have very very strong feeling about this line and about that (rather small) aspect of the film, but I don't want to argue with a writer that isn't on this board.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Arnold just wanted his money back, he didn't want it to get this far. He just wanted Howard roughed up some to get him a sense of urgency to get his money back. 17 months and he didn't pay back a 100k loan, if Howard wasn't family he would have been dead.

Yup. As a character he was kinda without sin (as far as loan sharks are concerned). You get the impression that Sandler's character was effectively the one to 'escalate' the situation and effectively left him no choice considering his line of business. Hell, there's an argument to be made that if he didn't go so soft on him they both wouldn't have been in that kind of situation by the end of the movie...his kindness damned them both

Beedig

Feb 10, 2018
A family actually brought their child to see this movie and the father wouldn't shut up and he was constantly looking at his phone. :(

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
We need more Julia Fox and we need more Julia Fox now.
- FUCK THE WEEKND!
-- NO, FUCK YOU, HOWARD!

fuckyouhoward.gif

Best shot of the entire movie

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Just got out. Really liked this movie. Some of the shots hurt my eyes a bit which was weird.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
KG was the only good thing about this movie. Shame they couldn't get Rondo.

The brothers are over rated.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Bogosian was so good.

I loved how Arno from the trailers seemed like your run-of-the-mill pissed off gangster, but that wasn't the case at all.

I was blown away when it's revealed he's Howard's Brother-In-Law and you can tell throughout the whole movie he kinda cares about him and took Howard's negligence to heart. It makes it more tragic on how he fucked up hiring those goons to scare Howard which eventually led to both of their deaths.

Last edited:

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
What a brilliant film. I can't stop thinking about it. I saw no other avenue for Howie near the end. What an absolute train wreck of a person.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Well that was a ride.

What the fuck man. Does it open on a colonoscopy cuz your ass is gonna be clenched by the end?

I think it's supposed to be tragic that he was given a clean bill of health, and essentially became a millionaire only to die from his own out of control behavior before ever getting a chance to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017

The movie literally beats you over the head with it's message from the very beginning. It isn't hidden. It's the whole point of the movie......

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The movie literally beats you over the head with it's message from the very beginning. It isn't hidden. It's the whole point of the movie......
I think I don't agree with you?
I don't know, you're not telling me much.
You want me to guess what you think is the unmissable message that the movie have?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I viewed it as an unflinching look at addiction and the movie tore me to pieces. Any IRL brush a viewer has had with an addict in a death spiral is going to have wounds freshly opened by this movie. I wanted to cry.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Man, that was exhausting. I'm not sure I would say I actively enjoyed it but it certainly does an incredible job of ratcheting up and maintaining tension, and I really appreciate frustrating characters who step up to the edge of potentially facing their flaws but instead turn away and remain on a path toward destruction. But I also have very little desire to ever watch it again, lol.

I did love the texture of it, particularly the rhythm and the score.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely loved it.

I don't blame him for just making shit movies and rolling in money, but I can't help but feel disappointed in Sandler. He was incredible in Punch Drunk Love and Uncut Gems. He really fucking has it in him to be an incredible actor and I just can't help but feel like he's wasting his talent.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I viewed it as an unflinching look at addiction and the movie tore me to pieces. Any IRL brush a viewer has had with an addict in a death spiral is going to have wounds freshly opened by this movie. I wanted to cry.
I have not thought about it from that angle, I'm not sure I'm seeing it, but I should not have hot-takes if 5 seconds ago I have not even consider the idea.
FWIW I have some experience from addiction, but from the sound not as much as you, so I don't know.
You figure it out. I'm not here to explain the message. It's there from minute one.
Come on now, there is no need for this.
You can read movies in many ways, I'll bet you if you go through rotten tomatoes reviews, you will find more than one way to interpret the film (and I think that's generally a good thing).
You don't have to share your opinion of that film, but it feels silly to me to get upset that I cannot guess it.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have not thought about it from that angle, I'm not sure I'm seeing it, but I should not have hot-takes if 5 seconds ago I have not even consider the idea.
FWIW I have some experience from addiction, but from the sound not as much as you, so I don't know.
chikor i really like your posts most of the time but how could you not get this lol. it's a story about a dude who is bargaining against god with his bookie for the entire movie and poisons every relationship he touches trying to negotiate against the inevitability of his own actions. he directly infects his own child with his disease. it's kind of weird that you would have specific issues with sports betting and not pick up on the addiction theme tbh

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
chikor i really like your posts most of the time but how could you not get this lol. it's a story about a dude who is bargaining against god with his bookie for the entire movie and poisons every relationship he touches trying to negotiate against the inevitability of his own actions. he directly infects his own child with his disease. it's kind of weird that you would have specific issues with sports betting and not pick up on the addiction theme tbh
The one good thing about liking Hudson Hawk is that I got used a long time ago to people thinking I am tragically wrong about movies.

But seriously, is the point that money is like an addiction?
Or that he's addicted to money?

I'm getting eeky just typing that shit.

Whatever, we should talk about how there's no way a true Knicks fan write a movie like that and make it about Celtics and Sixers. Everyone involved in a Nets fan. I will not be taking questions at this point.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
The one good thing about liking Hudson Hawk is that I got used a long time ago to people thinking I am tragically wrong about movies.

I'm getting eeky just typing that shit.

Whatever, we should talk about how there's no way a true Knicks fan write a movie like that and make it about Celtics and Sixers. Everyone involved in a Nets fan. I will not be taking questions at this point.

He's addicted to constantly being on the edge. His final act of insanity says it all. He could have been free and clear but he literally created a scenario where that mound of cash rode on everything. There was no end to the ride. It took a bullet to his head to end his sickness outside of a true intervention, of which no one cared enough to give him. The true tragedy was he was absolutely alone in all of it. Right till the very end.

Which is why his breakdown was so emotionally arresting. It wasn't about people being there to help him carry on these bets but a true cry for help. He felt alone and worthless. He should have been stopped then and there but his shallow girlfriend just enabled his addiction further.

Last edited:

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he is addicted to gambling. do you not know any gambling addicts or what
this was probably the most debatably real moment next to The Weekend performing in a club in 2012 tbh. how is a lifelong NYC resident gonna cape for a Nets ring? the sports pope should be ashamed

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
he is addicted to gambling. do you not know any gambling addicts or what
HE TOOK A TIP OFF IN A PARLAY WITH A GAME PROP AND A PLAYER PROP. NO ONE INVOLVED IN THIS MOVIE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT SPORTS BETTING.
okay, sorry for shouting, but I do know what gambling addicts are, I think.

this was probably the most debatably real moment next to The Weekend performing in a club in 2012 tbh. how is a lifelong NYC resident gonna cape for a Nets ring? the sports pope should be ashamed
The way he reacted to those KG free throws when they were like up 10 with 40 seconds to go was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off too.
I want Adam Sandler basketball fan card, the corners seem bent in a weird way to me.

edit: so really, the magic stone gave KG the power to score 17 points and lose in the next round to Miami?

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HE TOOK A TIP OFF IN A PARLAY WITH A GAME PROP AND A PLAYER PROP. NO ONE INVOLVED IN THIS MOVIE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT SPORTS BETTING.
okay, sorry for shouting, but I do know what gambling addicts are, I think.

The way he reacted to those KG free throws when they were like up 10 with 40 seconds to go was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off too.
I want Adam Sandler basketball fan card, the corners seem bent in a weird way to me.

edit: so really, the magic stone gave KG the power to score 17 points and lose in the next round to Miami?

I think you're over thinking the reality of the basketball stuff IMO.

The movie had to write that in to a preexisting story as they wrote the script years ago and didn't know which player they'd get, I knew the celtics won but I still was nervous the whole time

I don't think the movie had a great big message. I think it was just a story of how an out of control man can wreck havoc on the people around him. The movie was so tunnel focused on Howard that when they pull back at the end and show Julia, His Kids and wife you remember how little he actually seems to care about them unless they're helping him up the ante on his betting even more.

He directly causes Arno's death, leaves his kids without a father, has ruined his wife's life by sleeping with his employee, cost his uncle 190k and since he's dead nothing can be "fixed" even if he kept promising "I'll take care of this"

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My overall thoughts:

Movie was great. Not a classic but a great thrill ride which accurately portrays an anxiety attack in film format. Sandler was great.

I do think the lack of having a "message" hurt it when I compare it to something like Parasite or the Irishman for best picture. It was a great ride but after I got off I didn't keep me thinking as much as I would have liked

I also wasn't that shocked at the ending, maybe its my own anxiety but I kept thinking. Is he really gonna let them out, the dude is packing and hates his guts!

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also the soundtrack seems directly inspired by Trent Reznor's work on the social network. Same use of ambient "computer noises" to simulate anxiety and speed. not suprised to see NiN but a remix the composer did on the Deluxe version of Hesitation Marks

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
This movie was not made for me. I was bored as hell for 90% of the movie until the last few minutes when something actually happens. I don't care for bling, gambling, or basketball though so that may be it.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
Ok fact zohan is stupid, 50 first dates sucks ass, the movie where he had a little kid follow him around sucked, happy gilmore is barely watchable, billy madison was cool. So adam sandler doesnt have a great track record. Wont waste anymore time on him. Im glad youre a fan, hes not for me. Thnx.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Adam Sandler won. He figured it out. He found a way to exploit Hollywood to benefit himself and his friends while preserving his legacy. He's a modern Marlon Brando. Scholars a century from now will speak of him as "The great actor of Punch Drunk Love, Uncut Gems, and to a lesser extent Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison."