• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-oregon-automatic-voter-registration-20150317-story.html
Americans are required to register if they want to vote; as of this week, Oregonians will have to register not to.

In front of a packed and cheering audience Monday, Gov. Kate Brown signed a first-in-the-nation bill to automatically register all eligible Oregonians to vote when they obtain or renew a driver's license or state identification card.

Those who are registered through the new process will be notified by mail and will be given three weeks to take themselves off the voting rolls. If they do not opt out, the secretary of state's office will mail them a ballot automatically 20 days before any election.

This is INCREDIBLE. Every state should adopt this system

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
I can see this soiling a lot of republican diapers. Which means its common sense that should be applied nationally.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Genuine question from a non-American: are there any potential downsides to this at all?

Because doing this to streamline a (sometimes deliberately) burdensome process sounds like a no-brainer.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Fucking Perfect.

That's how I want it done.

Gimme Two weeks+ to research my ballots and mail it in.

WHY IS IT SO HARD AMERICA*

*GOP

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
That's good, should definitely be a default. Boggles my mind that you have to do anything other than show up to your ballot in order to vote

Oct 25, 2017
Laws like this, and those passed in Michigan last week, are going to be what paves the way to fairer voting, and better elected officials. Not putting all our chips on the horse at the top, which so many seem to invest too much into.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Every other Democratic governor needs to get on this ASAP. Taking the power of voter purging out of sniveling hands of the GOP is crucial.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I'm glad to see this and I hope it spreads. It will have to gain traction in racially homogeneous states first but there could eventually be a nationwide tipping point if there is any good left in our government.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't Oregon had automatic voter registration for a while now?

edit: just noticed the article is dated March 2015! :lol

Michigan just made this law too, though, which is good news.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
I find this interesting because from my perspective, this doesn't look new. I moved to Oregon in 2016, and was registered when I got my driver's license. It wasn't completely automatic, in that I got a bit of mail a couple weeks later asking me to choose my party for the primaries and mail that back in.

EDIT: Just saw the post from Blader, lol

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon has come a long way from it's humble beginnings.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Every state needs to do this. Voting should be as easy as possible given how rare voter fraud is. The problem is most people don't care, not that there are masses of people who want to vote multiple times.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Genuine question from a non-American: are there any potential downsides to this at all?

Because doing this to streamline a (sometimes deliberately) burdensome process sounds like a no-brainer.
It affects the republican negatively because they benefit from supressing the poor and minorities during elections. When their policy is basically to gut every social program, and to make the rich richer no one with a brain will vote Republican. Only white poor people who are brain washed will vote gop.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Automatic Voter Registration and other protections for our elections are the first thing on the House agenda next year.

Democrats Say Their First Bill Will Focus On Strengthening Democracy At Home

Democrats will take control of the U.S. House in January with big items topping their legislative to-do list: Remove obstacles to voting, close loopholes in government ethics law and reduce the influence of political money.

Party leaders say the first legislative vote in the House will come on H.R. 1, a magnum opus of provisions that Democrats believe will strengthen U.S. democratic institutions and traditions.

"It's three very basic things that I think the public wants to see," said Rep. John Sarbanes (D-Md.), who spearheads campaign finance and government ethics efforts for the House Democratic Caucus. He said H.R. 1 will "demonstrate that we hear that message loud and clear."

But even Sarbanes admits the quick vote is just a first step. Republicans, who control the Senate, are unlikely to pass the bill and President Trump is unlikely to sign it. "Give us the gavel in the Senate in 2020 and we'll pass it in the Senate," Sarbanes said. "Give us a pen in the Oval Office and we'll sign those kinds of reforms into law."

The bill would establish automatic voter registration and reinvigorate the Voting Rights Act, crippled by a Supreme Court decision in 2013. It would take away redistricting power from state legislatures and give it to independent commissions.
https://www.npr.org/2018/11/12/6656...will-focus-on-strengthening-democracy-at-home

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As it should be

thats also how organ donation should work but I digress...

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
This was made trough Refferendum and gurantee that of a R politician is elected he can revert the law easy?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Way to catch up Oregon.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...ns-automatic-voter-registration-bill-into-law

:D

But honestly, every state should adopt this, though obviously most won't. Now some 14 states have automatic voter registration similar to Massachusetts, and now Oregon's law, or at least, 14 states have it passed and planned to take effect in the coming years. But, knowing Massachusetts even though the law was signed last year Oregon will probably get their's to take effect much earlier.

Automatic Voter Registration and other protections for our elections are the first thing on the House agenda next year.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/12/6656...will-focus-on-strengthening-democracy-at-home

Very interested in automatic voter registration at the federal level, but I just don't think it'd get upheld by the Supreme Court if challenged (which it would be).

Status
Not open for further replies.