• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Well, last night I tried for an all Assassin team plus a Dragon Knight, but only got 7 Assassins before losing in 3rd Place.
This night, I actually managed to get all 9 plus a Dragon Knight and managed a win.
Phantom and Dragon Knight were only lvl1, but I got Bloodseeker, Slark, and Queen to 3.

Rank 2 Medusa with a Sacred Relic puts out almost 400 DPS every fight lmao. Too bad I can never get anything to Rank 3.
Yeah, I really like Medusa.
Even better is getting lucky and getting Divine Rapier early, +330 Attack Damage on her, just mows down everyone.

Chippu

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
I quit quite a few games early on because I keep forgetting to place my units in the first round, so I had to climb up all the ranks one by one, but I finally did it 28 hours in.

5EmrLeF.png

Going to slow down playing the game now, feels like I'm doing pretty much the same two strategies every game which is getting a bit stale.

Congrats!

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
I'm really enjoying the game and have had a few wins now. I mostly play on my tablet which usually crashes on the win screen so no screenshots so I can't wait for some more robust stat tracking so I can start to better understand what I am doing right and wrong.0

I've moved up to Outlaw V but I think I'm starting to reach the ceiling of my current fairly basic knowledge. I think I will have to begin to understand the synergies of individual characters beyond just their classes, their movement and therefore best placement, and last but I suspect not least, how items should be best distributed in order for me to go further up the ranks. On a related note, can your level go down? It feels like it should do but even after two sevenths and a sixth in succession I went up a level after a single third place. I assume this was just down to the levels of other players in the games in question but having not played many ranked games I'm not entirely sure how it works. That said, from comment here I assume it works in a way that means you are rewarded more for beating higher level players than lower/equal level ones.

So far my strategy, if you can call it that, is basically just trying to manage my income to be able to ensure I can re-roll enough to build a half decent bench as well as making sure I keep pace with the levelling up done by other players. I've found a tend to gravitate to Druid early to compensate for my shitty luck and ensure I have some well levelled characters but I suspect this alliance is probably pretty B tier overall.

I'm trying to avoid strategy guides and the like and just learn by playing but I may have to spend some off time reading the character sheets in a bit more detail at least.

On only a semi related note, the mobile aspect of this game is great but also slightly troublesome insomuch that I haven't really been playing in my usual gaming time but instead it fits in during times where normally I'd pick up the paper, read a book, browse the internet or watch some light weight TV. Luckily the rounds are too long for it to eat up all of this time but I do feel like I'm going to have to remain mindful of the time I'm spending playing.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Man, the only time I can get a win and not be 2nd place is when half the players hightail it. But its somethinf at least. RNG went nuts last round and I had most of my units at 3* by round 20. Axe+Juggernaut+Batrider+Witch Doctor+Shaman+Chaos Knight+Viper+Dragon Knight was an insane line up, especially with the Troll/Knight/Brawny Global Items in my hand.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, last night I tried for an all Assassin team plus a Dragon Knight, but only got 7 Assassins before losing in 3rd Place.
This night, I actually managed to get all 9 plus a Dragon Knight and managed a win.
Phantom and Dragon Knight were only lvl1, but I got Bloodseeker, Slark, and Queen to 3.

Even better is getting lucky and getting Divine Rapier early, +330 Attack Damage on her, just mows down everyone.
That sounds actually insane. I like how it mirrors exactly how she works in regular Dota lmao.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure who has the most DPS between the AGI carries, but they all need a steroid to just be pumping out damage.

Doom ⭐⭐⭐ with BKB is still my favorite though

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
So I started playing this over the weekend...and also tried Teamfight...and I really prefer this one! The UI is MUCH better, and the game flow feels alot smoother.

Almost won my fifth game but the second place guy just had higher quality 2s and 3s than I did! I can tell I'm going to be playing this alot.

This is why this is the best gen for gaming...the number of F2P gems I've found over the past 5 years have been unbelievable! Remember when F2P automatically made your game a laughing stock?

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Looked good a couple of times now, then usually get absolutely stomped by knights with a medusa in the middle

I dont know, this game feels like so much luck

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
Anyone got streamers they like? And what strats do they practice? I've found success with 9 Assassin, Knight/Trolls, Knight/Dragons, but looking to either improve those strats or find new ones. I'm lacking warrior/mage/warlock knowledge.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looked good a couple of times now, then usually get absolutely stomped by knights with a medusa in the middle

I dont know, this game feels like so much luck
if it was luck based then nobody would gain ranks

the top people are just doing things you are not

you have to be able to work with a shit early hand or press your advantage with a good hand

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Knights are just OP at the moment, they went from kind of bums to the best alliance in one patch.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
if it was luck based then nobody would gain ranks

the top people are just doing things you are not

you have to be able to work with a shit early hand or press your advantage with a good hand

well its obviously not all luck, the best players will be the top ranks eventually

the rng can still be game deciding

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Also, I'm so jealous at the people in here with wins having only 2 Star units...feels like the people I lose to are having the games of their lives with multiple lvl 3s 😁

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I managed my first win, in the cheesiest way possible!

At the start of the game, lost the first player before it had even loaded, pretty typical. Lost another 1 or 2 in the first few rounds...

Then I had decided to try the tactic where you roll hard, early, to try and get lvl 2 and lvl 3's. Worked well, especially given low player count, and another 2 people disconnected.

I won every game, and very quickly it was down to 2 of us. We had 3 rounds against each other and then they showed as disconnected too.

So I just kept beating them round after round to take down their health and win.

Tiny 3 star, pudge 3 star, quop 3 star before I normally even have a bunch of 2 stars...

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So far in every game I've been having the winner goes heavy knights, either four or six.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017

What level are playing at, if I might ask?

I find assassins to be pretty hard to use well once people start grouping their units cleverly to deal with it. What's your strategy on that point?

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game and have had a few wins now. I mostly play on my tablet which usually crashes on the win screen so no screenshots so I can't wait for some more robust stat tracking so I can start to better understand what I am doing right and wrong.0

I've moved up to Outlaw V but I think I'm starting to reach the ceiling of my current fairly basic knowledge. I think I will have to begin to understand the synergies of individual characters beyond just their classes, their movement and therefore best placement, and last but I suspect not least, how items should be best distributed in order for me to go further up the ranks. On a related note, can your level go down? It feels like it should do but even after two sevenths and a sixth in succession I went up a level after a single third place. I assume this was just down to the levels of other players in the games in question but having not played many ranked games I'm not entirely sure how it works. That said, from comment here I assume it works in a way that means you are rewarded more for beating higher level players than lower/equal level ones.

So far my strategy, if you can call it that, is basically just trying to manage my income to be able to ensure I can re-roll enough to build a half decent bench as well as making sure I keep pace with the levelling up done by other players. I've found a tend to gravitate to Druid early to compensate for my shitty luck and ensure I have some well levelled characters but I suspect this alliance is probably pretty B tier overall.

I'm trying to avoid strategy guides and the like and just learn by playing but I may have to spend some off time reading the character sheets in a bit more detail at least.

On only a semi related note, the mobile aspect of this game is great but also slightly troublesome insomuch that I haven't really been playing in my usual gaming time but instead it fits in during times where normally I'd pick up the paper, read a book, browse the internet or watch some light weight TV. Luckily the rounds are too long for it to eat up all of this time but I do feel like I'm going to have to remain mindful of the time I'm spending playing.

If I can barge in, I recommend 2 things to get your skill up to the next level

1. Buy and sell aggressively. Interest(see #2) is snapshotted at the start of a round, when enemies appear. That means that you can buy and sell things quickly at the start of the round to hit an interest threshold for the round. Then, when the round starts, you can buy as many things as you want with no interest penalty. When the round is over you should sell most of it back to hit a new interest threshold, based on what buys are good.

2. Don't start rolling until a) you have over 50g bank, or b) you are getting low in health. You get 10% interest for every g in your bank up to 50g. A good build starts building a bank pretty early and hits level 8 around round 21. The rerolls start when your health gets low, maybe 40. Other than that you gotta stay above 50g and spend your interest to reroll.

I stopped playing for a good bit did we get any meta changing balance patches yet?

Knights are strong now, particularly dragon knight. They for buffed and them nerfed, but they are still good.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
What level are playing at, if I might ask?

I find assassins to be pretty hard to use well once people start grouping their units cleverly to deal with it. What's your strategy on that point?
Well, with that win I got to Lieutenant IV.
Honestly, I didn't have that much of a strategy. Just some Warriors/Knights(ended up just being Dragon Knight for the Dragon Bonus with Viper and the Humans count as Heartless Item - Bonus with Bloodseeker) in front to draw attention, and relying on the Critical Attacks of Assassins(the 9 Assassins Bonus is 30% chance to do 500% Damage) to chew threw my enemies.
I was almost constantly losing until I got all 9 and most up to lvl2, though.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
If I can barge in, I recommend 2 things to get your skill up to the next level

Barge away DealWithIt, all advice is welcome. I /think/ I'm broadly following your ideas, I'm probably not quite at 8 by 21 but I'm near there. I do tend to re-roll occasionally rather than investing levels when I see other low star variants of characters I want, just to try and dissuade them. That and I always think my luck /might/ change!

I think the next level as such is going to be thinking about individual synergies between characters, items and other characters. I don't really even know what all of their specials are when they reach full mana and that sort of thing. I fight some folk who just seem to have the board full of specials in the first few seconds of a fight so I assume they're maximising something to make particular builds work.

On a related note, played a quick single game after work, got first and levelled up to enforcer level 1. I know most folk here are way higher up the tree but it felt good nonetheless!

Anyway have a good evening DealWithIt and thanks again for the thoughts. Much appreciated.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
The last update was Thursday and they've been doing them every couple of days so I can imagine either today or tomorrow there will be a big balance patch. So get your Knight fix in while you can.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guess I'm done for now. First time I finally get the brawny skill early, and then for the first 12 rounds I don't get a single brawny piece. Not one. And I rerolled like crazy, too. The fuck was that. I need a break from this shit.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm done for now. First time I finally get the brawny skill early, and then for the first 12 rounds I don't get a single brawny piece. Not one. And I rerolled like crazy, too. The fuck was that. I need a break from this shit.

Early global items bait people so hard. The demon one always screws me.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Y'all needs to prayer harder
544211052745981962.png
lol
Demon and Brawny isn't the same thing at all tho. You only need 4 pieces in total, and 3 of those are 1 and 2 gold pieces. Brawny is meant as an early game comp anyway. The bonus just makes them ridiculous lategame. It's way, way easier to go for early Brawny than hoping you'll get demons throughout ealy, mid and even lategame.
I just got so unlucky it borders on parody.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I do wish there were more consequence to early game, because going for early game comps through any rerolls is really a trap. It hardly matters if you lose, just get that 50 gold interest. You should always have at least two team compositions being viable early to mid game so you're not sacrificing too much money to reroll and being too reliant on rng.

I also don't like a good chunk of the alliances feel a lot weaker than the others. You can only really rely on knights or warriors being front line mid game onwards which makes the game feel samey. Scrapper/inventor "may" work but they don't synergize with anything else, and to complete it you need to level up to get those tier 5 heroes while also using less units, the whole strategy don't make much sense. Elusive is awful mid game onwards.

Mages is one alliance that I never had success with though. It either relies on getting 3* which I tend not to rely too heavily on, or I'm using the wrong units. Few times I've build to like Crystal Maiden + Lina + Keeper of the Light at 2*, stuck them in a corner, and I'm wondering why I still have barely any damage. Not that I haven't been obliterated by opposing mage teams before.

Retaliate on slardar with a defensive equip is quite silly though, that thing needs a nerf.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I do wish there were more consequence to early game, because going for early game comps through any rerolls is really a trap. It hardly matters if you lose, just get that 50 gold interest. You should always have at least two team compositions being viable early to mid game so you're not sacrificing too much money to reroll and being too reliant on rng.

I also don't like a good chunk of the alliances feel a lot weaker than the others. You can only really rely on knights or warriors being front line mid game onwards which makes the game feel samey. Scrapper/inventor "may" work but they don't synergize with anything else, and to complete it you need to level up to get those tier 5 heroes while also using less units, the whole strategy don't make much sense.

Mages is one alliance that I never had success with though. It either relies on getting 3* which I tend not to rely too heavily on, or I'm using the wrong units. Few times I've build to like Crystal Maiden + Lina + Keeper of the Light at 2*, stuck them in a corner, and I'm wondering why I still have barely any damage. Not that I haven't been obliterated by opposing mage teams before.

Retaliate on slardar is quite silly though, that thing needs a nerf.
The consequence is losing HP. Losing early is a viable strategy, you just have to not lose too make badly. That just gives you less of a safety net in the late game.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even saying you should open fort, but rerolling to attempt to win is far worse than just dealing with whatever odds you get. You can lose like five rounds early to lose as much hp as one round later. Sometimes you get completely crap rng and you can't come back from it? It happens, but the alternative is much worse.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even saying you should open fort, but rerolling to attempt to win is far worse than just dealing with whatever odds you get. You can lose like five rounds early to lose as much hp as one round later. Sometimes you get completely crap rng and you can't come back from it? It happens, but the alternative is much worse.
I don't mind going all-in if I'm feeling it.
:yolo:

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
The win streak early on can be quite worth it to let you shoot ahead of the pack, but I'd only consider leveling up earlier for it and not rerolling. I'd only ever consider rerolling early only if you're in like extreme situations where you have 3 relevant alliance units which you have 2 copies each and are one away from 2* for them.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any place in game that shows your current % chances for each tier at your current level? The original mod had it, not sure if this doesn't or I'm missing it.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Is there any place in game that shows your current % chances for each tier at your current level? The original mod had it, not sure if this doesn't or I'm missing it.
Maybe I misunderstood what you are asking as Shira said no, but hovering cursor over your level icon on the left side of the screen shows you odds for the shop. I haven't played the mod, so not sure if that's the same.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The worst is getting embarrassment of riches and smuggler in the same neutral round, and never seeing one of em again.

I also don't like a good chunk of the alliances feel a lot weaker than the others. You can only really rely on knights or warriors being front line mid game onwards which makes the game feel samey. Scrapper/inventor "may" work but they don't synergize with anything else, and to complete it you need to level up to get those tier 5 heroes while also using less units, the whole strategy don't make much sense. Elusive is awful mid game onwards.

Retaliate on slardar with a defensive equip is quite silly though, that thing needs a nerf.
The worst is scalies, you need a miracle to get a 3* Slark+Slardar+Medusa to have it even work, and even then I dunno what you can even compliment them with to not lose.
I am pretty sure there is a %button for that, or at least in the mobile game there is.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
The worst is scalies, you need a miracle to get a 3* Slark+Slardar+Medusa to have it even work, and even then I dunno what you can even compliment them with to not lose.

Magic damage is usually a small part of overall dps so it makes sense. I gauge it by seeing how much the "damage from skill" section represents total damage of the entire team. It really only works as a mage counter or maybe like against a 3* shadowfiend. Scaled doesn't do much otherwise.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
And of course I just got my first win...the very first game after I got home. And it was a wire-to-wire blowout win where I had 91 health remaining!

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Link
This week's update will arrive on Thursday. We're currently wrapping up a few experimental features we'd like to get your feedback on, and they require a bit more testing before we put them in front of you.

Features to look forward to on this Thursday's update:
  • Warlock Alliance rework.
  • Warlock Units tweaks.
  • Shaman Alliance rework.
  • Shaman Units tweaks.
  • 3 New Items.
  • Tweaks to the Alliance Items and how they work.
  • Tweaks to Win and Lose Streaks.
  • Large Scoreboard.
  • And some experimental features.

The week after you'll see the release of progression and what we call the Proto-Battle Pass. This beta Battle Pass will let us iterate on the system with you and get your feedback on what works and what doesn't plus what kind of content you'd like the Season 1 Battle Pass to include.

See you all later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.