• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Does something like a counter chart exist for this game? For instance, do assassins counter hunters, warriors counter mages... that sort of thing?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does something like a counter chart exist for this game? For instance, do assassins counter hunters, warriors counter mages... that sort of thing?
Not really.

I mean mages have spells = magic damage so that kind of avoids something like armor buffs for warriors.

Demon Hunters counter Demons.

Early game builds counter late game builds.

It's not neat and tidy like sword vs axe vs spear or rock/scissor/paper

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Them nerfing losing at the beginning has made the game feel really luck based. Everyone goes for early game boards now, so if you don't fight for it, you're gonna be almost dead before round 20. That makes the game to become whoever controls the early game (by luck) will have a far higher chance of winning. That coupled with the really punishing MMR system makes the whole thing really unrewarding to play.

Can't count how many times now I've had like 4+ pairs of units and never get the third copy to level up early game. :vomit

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Early game can definitely be a shit show. Opponents already have multiple two star heroes and I'm just sitting there like:

tenor.gif

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching a good amount of Swim's streams on Twitch and I do think he has the best grasp on the mechanics of the games (among the few visible twitch streamers). Every time I try to make a team that goes against what he says, I do end up agreeing with him and finding out why the team doesn't work. He doesn't (and can't spend time to) explain every decision in detail but he's right super often.

Yet even he can't rank up to the Lords rank, and I think its just a lot of rng combined with punishing mmr system. It's hard to be the luckiest of 8 people often enough to consistently rank up. It's almost like his schtick now to end up in despair the end of every day unable to get to Lords.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching a good amount of Swim's streams on Twitch and I do think he has the best grasp on the mechanics of the games (among the few visible twitch streamers). Every time I try to make a team that goes against what he says, I do end up agreeing with him and finding out why the team doesn't work. He doesn't (and can't spend time to) explain every decision in detail but he's right super often.

Yet even he can't rank up to the Lords rank, and I think its just a lot of rng combined with punishing mmr system. It's hard to be the luckiest of 8 people often enough to consistently rank up. It's almost like his schtick now to end up in despair the end of every day unable to get to Lords.
Yeah I quite enjoy watching him, and he seems to know his stuff. The only underlords person I watch.

My only, very minor, complaint is that he seems to use Dota names for things. E.g. he often refers to Naga alliance and I have no idea which one that is!

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
Had a pretty good streak of games with 3 wins in a row, with an undefeated one, then a 3rd and 2nd. Might actually get to Big Boss at this rate unless they wipe Thursday.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I quite enjoy watching him, and he seems to know his stuff. The only underlords person I watch.

My only, very minor, complaint is that he seems to use Dota names for things. E.g. he often refers to Naga alliance and I have no idea which one that is!
For that one in particular, "Naga" is "Scaled" - Slardar, Slark, Medusa, Tidehunter. 2 & 4 piece bonus, 30% and 50% magic resist IIRC.

Last edited:

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
With a bit of imagination it's easy to understand which is which. Naga=scaled, undead=heartless etc. It's annoying, but at least it's not as bad as people using og Dota Allstars names for Dota 2 heroes.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Saw some guy in my game earlier with 3 Unstable Reactor passive.

What the fuck.

Even if their heroes are losing, they still do massive damage. He didn't win though as he didn't save enough early.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Saw some guy in my game earlier with 3 Unstable Reactor passive.

What the fuck.

Even if their heroes are losing, they still do massive damage. He didn't win though as he didn't save enough early.
Yeah it can happen. Theres a video of swim fighting against someone who has all 3 by round 4, i.e. all 3 creep rounds gave it to them.

They stack (and are intended to stack).

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Did an elven run for the first time. It actually hard countered the troll/knight leader, but then a mage player destroyed me. They doomed themselves, now he'll get run over by the trolls.

How good is the Shaman alliance? I've never actually gotten it.

Last edited:

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
How good is the Shaman alliance? I've never actually gotten it.
I got it once, didn't feel great about it. Slots okay into Knight/Troll/Warlock, although Arc Warden is a dangling end there. Between that and Disruptor being on the lower end of T4 outside of specific cases, I feel like it's hard to make an argument for it. Maybe there's a more Mage-leaning comp it'd fit better into.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That feeling when the starting rounds give you 3 warlock special items.... and you manage to not see a single warlock until round 24.
Yeay.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Just got a double Arcane Boots, it was pretty awesome. Dropped one on a tank in the first row, dropped another on a Bat Knight directly behind it in the third, sandwiched Shadow Fiend, Windranger, and Necrophos in between, everyone's at full mana in about 3 seconds.

I know this anecdotal bullshit never holds up, but I swear they've upped the rates on the Warlock and Inventor items and dropped the rest. I've probably seen a half dozen of each and nothing else but the Scaled one once or twice in the last few days.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much are you willing to pay for hte Thursday Protopass?

I assume it's gotta be $1 right?

or maybe it's like TI $10. . .

my stim wallet is rdy

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
You know what's really fun

Leaving games that aren't starting well early

You get to flip off the RNG

You get to go start a new game that statistically won't eff you so hard

You get to give everyone you're playing with a better chance to rank up

You're probably gonna drop a level which means you don't have to be so tryhard

It's a win-win-win-win-win

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
You know what's really fun

Leaving games that aren't starting well early

You get to flip off the RNG

You get to go start a new game that statistically won't eff you so hard

You get to give everyone you're playing with a better chance to rank up

You're probably gonna drop a level which means you don't have to be so tryhard

It's a win-win-win-win-win

But you'd have to then acknowledge that you're wasting your life away pulling at a slot machine.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I very much agree with this reddit thread. you end up throwing out all the synergies you worked for out the window just to field the strongest units. Medusa, Engima, Lich, Kunkka, Disruptor, etc are basically all autoincludes.I also think it's sort of a problem early where you just want 2* units and synergies don't matter at all. Synergies only seem to matter from like rounds 11 to round 21. It makes builds like 6 assassins or 6 hunters feel real bad

Not sure what the solution would be. I'm still very much enjoying the game but this is definitely on my list of things I hope Valve addresses in future updates.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona

I very much agree with this reddit thread. you end up throwing out all the synergies you worked for out the window just to field the strongest units. Medusa, Engima, Lich, Kunkka, Disruptor, etc are basically all autoincludes.I also think it's sort of a problem early where you just want 2* units and synergies don't matter at all. Synergies only seem to matter from like rounds 11 to round 21. It makes builds like 6 assassins or 6 hunters feel real bad

Not sure what the solution would be. I'm still very much enjoying the game but this is definitely on my list of things I hope Valve addresses in future updates.
Make the 2nd tier of synergies even stronger.

Right now, the 1st tier of synergies is good enough for the midgame but they don't add enough usually to try for more.

I would rather have enigma or tide than 4 beasts even though 25% damage is good. Aoe is usually worth more than more damage or more survivability.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
The problem with making it synergy focused is it's much harder to change synergies late game. If you go warriors and the last couple players are mages, you would be screwed no matter what. Right now you could at least try going with a Tidehunter or Techies and AoE them first.

I do think a couple of the auto-includes like Kunkka and Enigma could use some tweaking, but I'd be wary of strengthening the top alliances. Maybe they should add or change an alliance to counter the big ults or something.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
The only time your team is ever guaranteed to go after Slark is when you have a 2-star Enigma and he's their only assassin

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
i thing there should be a rage quit button.

i need to release stress sometimes
This is actually a great idea for almost all games. Like...there should be an accessory that can be attached to any console or PC, like a huge red button that can take a beating and still work...would be a HUGE seller 😁

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any tips for late game? Is it mainly getting tide or enigma in no matter what?

After the randomness of 2 stars in early rounds I can consistently win or outperform through levels say 10 to 25, and then it just seems to become random? I can't really figure out how I'm winning or losing (mainly losing), and so I'm not sure how to adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.