• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Suffered from emphysema.

AP said:
Tom Petty's family says his death last year was due to an accidental drug overdose.

His wife and daughter released the results of Petty's autopsy via a statement on his Facebook page Friday night. Dana and Adria Petty say they got the results from the coroner's office earlier in the day that the overdose was caused due to a variety of medications.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to derail, but seriously how is Keith Richards still alive?

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Damn I know those prescriptions are highly addictive but I'd like to think he just wanted to get through the tour and accidently took too much.

Its a fucking shame regardless.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was afraid of this.

We have lost far too many fantastic people to drug overdoses and sadly a significant portion of those are musicians. He is a permanent fixture in my Classic Rock playlist on Spotify though. Will make it a point to listen to his best hits tonight.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Was it drug addiction though? It sounds more like he was in a lot of pain and accidentally took too many medications at once in an attempt to lessen the pain of his broken hip.
Yeah. Doesn't sound like addiction but a misunderstood dose.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I know those prescriptions are highly addictive but I'd like to think he just wanted to get through the tour and accidently took too much.

Its a fucking shame regardless.

It does seem like this is legitimately the case. If the family statement that was released was honest, he was touring with a fractured hip, but insisted on making his tour dates, so he was hopped up on painkillers, including fentanyl. Unfortunately, his commitment to the performing for fans was not good for his hip, and on the day he died, the doctors had diagnosed his fracture as graduating to a full break, so the poor man was in an enormous amount of pain, but STILL trying to make his performances.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like this is legitimately the case. If the family statement that was released was honest, he was touring with a fractured hip, but insisted on making his tour dates, so he was hopped up on painkillers, including fentanyl. Unfortunately, his commitment to the performing for fans was not good for his hip, and on the day he died, the doctors had diagnosed his fracture as graduating to a full break, so the poor man was in an enormous amount of pain, but STILL trying to make his performances.

Damn I can't imagine the pain from that.

YuShtink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's damn sad. A good high school friend of mine actually died of an accidental overdose after a Tom Petty concert back in 2005. Drugs, man...

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

So there's a good chance that he ODed on fentanyl then? :(

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Fentanyl patches are no joke, he might have doubled up on one thinking it would help but even if you aren't feeling the effects it's still in your system, some of those fentanyl patches are made to stay on you a whole day or more. I hate long-acting opiods because it's too easy to OD on them, you could take one, sleep for 6 hours, wake up and not be feeling the medicine and take another, you just doubled up for at least a 4 hour gap if it's a 12-hour pill.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Ahh...happened to my friends mother back in the early 2000's. She was on several medications and mistaking took too many of one or timed it wrong and it conflicted with another and she died in her sleep that night.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Man, that sucks. He really wanted to get through the 40th anniversary tour and took too many. I feel bad because I was at one of those shows. Although he and the band were fantastic. Rest in peace, Tom.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's horrible. I cannot imagine trying to perform onstage with that going on inside of me.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's horrible. I cannot imagine trying to perform onstage with that going on inside of me.

Yeah, tell me about it. On the one hand, I admire his "show must go on" mentality, that's an amazing display of his dedication to his fans. But on the other hand, if he had to double up on painkillers because his freakin' hip was broken... I mean, dude, it's okay, people will obviously be disappointed about a cancelled performance, but you have to take care of yourself. And if some people would rather see you die than have you cancel the show that THEY were looking forward to so much because YOU owe THEM... those aren't the kind of fans worth having.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo WTF fentanyl? I thought that was only for breakthrough pain. If you have a broken hip you should be getting oxycodone or something like that.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I saw his last show ever at the Hollywood Bowl. Never would have known he had emphysema. He appeared to be in fine health and spirits.

Cwyll

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He was on a whole Magnificent Seven: Fentanyl, oxycodone, emazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl, and despropionyl fentanyl.
That's a scary bunch that i last saw prescribed (usually one by one) in a hospice...

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In 'Murica, we hand out opiates like fucking candy. Even more so if you are wealthy.

His doctors should be prosecuted.

As should thousands, yes thousands, of doctors across our nation.

That's a scary bunch that i last saw prescribed (usually one by one) in a hospice...

I hope to be so lucky if I am dying. I hope if diagnosed terminal I have enough time to move to and live in Oregon for six months before I need it.

I really, really don't want to blow my brains out when the time comes.