• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Personally I'm maintaining a countdown until Trump tweets about the liberal mainstream medical community overhyping the virus to threaten his re-election

Also the liberal mainstream mayors and governors continuing lockdowns after he tries to open the country to hurt his re-election

And also the liberal mainstream virus protein bundles getting people sick to hurt his re-election
Reality itself is being payed by Soros and Obama to create circumstances that smear me! ~Trump

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
People will take it serious when the shaky cams of us literally burning bodies comes out when 10k die in a day.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I know everyone just wants to shit on how the US is handling it, but isn't the stats of infected per 1 million and deaths per 1 million a much more important stat? The US is way low compared to other places and the US is much bigger than most of those countries on the list in size and population. When you combine multiple European countries on the list, they come out way ahead in both of those stats. You may as well be supporting the notion that the Flu kills more people per year so Coronavirus isn't a big deal by comparison if you want to just look at total numbers instead of looking at the infection rate and the death rate of the two if you're going to look at total number of cases rather than how it compares per million people. I have no doubt we're going to get worse, but we're not close to being the worst right now.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
We are so screwed... so incredibly screwed.

We are going to hit 200k-300k cases easily.

do you know how exponential growth works? Infection numbers in Europe used to/are doubling every 2-3 days.That's what drove us to complete lockdowns in some countries and bans on meetings of 2 people or more in others. 200k cases is Happening by Monday in the us.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What's the general sentiment toward the lockdowns and social distancing at this point wherever you guys are in the US?

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
I know everyone just wants to shit on how the US is handling it, but isn't the stats of infected per 1 million and deaths per 1 million a much more important stat? The US is way low compared to other places and the US is much bigger than most of those countries on the list in size and population. When you combine multiple European countries on the list, they come out way ahead in both of those stats. You may as well be supporting the notion that the Flu kills more people per year so Coronavirus isn't a big deal by comparison if you want to just look at total numbers instead of looking at the infection rate and the death rate of the two if you're going to look at total number of cases rather than how it compares per million people. I have no doubt we're going to get worse, but we're not close to being the worst right now.

Well Europe also has a 2-4 week headstart.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously think we're going to hit 3 million, a true 1% of the entire country.

Try 200 million or so, maybe more. Most people on the planet are going to catch this virus eventually, there's no stopping it. And that's not the goal either. The goal is to have it spread as slowly as possible, in order not to overwhelm the healthcare system with thousands and thousands of patients all at once. But most of us will get it sooner or later, and most of us will be absolutely fine.

But maybe you meant 3 million in the next few weeks?

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
do you know how exponential growth works? Infection numbers in Europe used to/are doubling every 2-3 days.That's what drove us to complete lockdowns in some countries and bans on meetings of 2 people or more in others. 200k cases is Happening by Monday in the us.
I'm trying to be conservative with my numbers.

I live in a lockdown state.. but I type this at my work desk... in a business that calls itself "essential"... even though it's really not.
No one in Ohio is seeming to take this shit seriously.

Jun 6, 2019
Trump's approval for handling this crisis probably just increased by 10%. Stock Market probably gonna shoot up another +2000 tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2017
Country most prepared for pandemic leads in cases! Checks out.

We need to see the government take this seriously. This talk about "re-opening businesses" or whatever is so premature we're practically going back in time here; the US needs to develop a culture really quickly that prioritizes human lives; not this capitalist economy-first attitude that has people WFH or not going to work as some kind of boogeyman that's as bad as the virus. It's not, for one. Second, we're printing money right this moment that we're never going to pay back anyway as the country goes deeper in debt and I don't see anyone on the right screaming about fiscal responsibility because this bailout is, ultimately, as it has always been, about them and their businesses. When push comes to shove, and it will just as sure as the virus waltzed right into the US and laid roots here, the individual states need to stand up to Trump et. al. and show them that the old people of this nation are our parents and grandparents, and we're not going to stick ourselves in the cogs of the machine that'll ultimately kill the people we love. I would love it if the government woke the fuck up and took lockdown seriously, and this virus seriously, and was open and honest with the country about how long this is going to take, but they won't be: it's really up to us, as usual, to fend for ourselves. The "trump bux" bribe here, while certainly helpful, is probably based on some bullshit supposition about people getting back on the workhorses by April; I don't see that happening with the virus epicenters causing hundreds of deaths per day and this getting worse across the country, personally.

Ugh. Fuck Trump. Fuck that stupid loser.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
You need to keep in mind that the spread through Europe is essentially a week ahead of where the US is, and while their numbers have largely remained steady, ours are just increasing more and more. Italy, Spain, and Germany have been the main sources of new cases and they all max out daily at around 7k cases each, while proportionally testing way more than we do.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Try 200 million or so, maybe more. Most people on the planet are going to catch this virus eventually, there's no stopping it. And that's not the goal either. The goal is to have it spread as slowly as possible, in order not to overwhelm hospitals with thousands and thousands of patients all at once.

But maybe you meant 3 million in the next few weeks?

Yeah 3 million in this period. I don't know how they're going to mark these periods of sudden spread.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
USA is earlier on in the course of the spread. First case in Italy was January 1st, in USA it was 21st. Give it 20 days and then compare the numbers.

There are other geographic and demographic factors that relate to speed of spread, and given the incubation period, and how many passive carriers there can be, the rate of growth of cases today tells us about the number of deaths there will be in the future.

Things are going to get a lot worse in the US before they get better.

Capt_Shanu

Oct 27, 2017
Well Trump did say that Americans were going to get sick of all the winning that was going to happen.

I am so sorry for all you folks. Stay safe and wash your hands.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's more of a vent thread than a real comparison, the US got hit later than other countries and numbers are hard to compare anyway because e.g. the fatality rate obviously only includes the actual dead, not the ones who are infected and will die and of course not the infected but not detected either. Exponential growth also means you're going to see different growth rates within a few days and a country being hit a few days later than another already completely changes its numbers and by next week the numbers are going to be completely different too. Plus different countries have/will hit their healthcare limits at different numbers at which point the death rate goes waaay up.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
One thing to note on the deaths in the US... whilst total infections are indeed a fairly meaningless stat, it is important to realise that it has meaning in terms of your health system capacity. Once you hit the point that you can no longer treat optimally (thankfully the US has a huge amount of ICU beds available), that's the point that deaths start to mount up.

So whilst the infections are largely irrelevant right now, they may have a large effect in a week or two.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
No fun allowed huh? Why do you hate America? I'm gonna need you to say the pledge of allegiance right now.

Oct 25, 2017
How do we have so many cases but so few deaths compared to Italy? Did it just hit super hard in retirement communities?

italy is 2nd or 3rd oldest country. 24% are smokers. Lots of older folk living near/with family. Apparently lots of anti biotic resistance. An international health org posted a big write up that was linked to on Reddit. I'll try to find it.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
How many Americans, particularly trump supporters will shrug it off that their country has bigger population and therefore it will be higher naturally?

Because that's not how infection rates spread and rise, the bigger factor is population density, which America is significantly lower than many other countries, and which plays a bigger role than sheer population size. As perspective USA is ranked 79th pop density, China 26th, Germany 16th, Italy 22nd.

It's all about crisis management

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

unknown.png

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

It was just a matter of time considering the events leading up to this point. I really hope that somehow we get avoid the complete catastrophe we seem to be heading straight into...

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
That's the scary part. In a lot of places, there aren't even any real measures to curb this progress.
www.resetera.com

People have rediscovered nature

I live In rural Ma across the street from a pond. It’s a nice day today and there are so many people walking around it’s surprising. There usually isn’t this many people outside until Summer weekends. A lot of people fishing.

See this as an example of why the US is going to only get worse.

"It only affects cities, it's only the young people ignoring social distancing, we're not going to get it here".

The US needs full lockdown, yesterday.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
One thing to note on the deaths in the US... whilst total infections are indeed a fairly meaningless stat, it is important to realise that it has meaning in terms of your health system capacity. Once you hit the point that you can no longer treat optimally (thankfully the US has a huge amount of ICU beds available), that's the point that deaths start to mount up.

So whilst the infections are largely irrelevant right now, they may have a large effect in a week or two.
I thought I read recently that the US has fewer ICU beds/respirators/something per capita than a lot of other countries?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
How do we have so many cases but so few deaths compared to Italy? Did it just hit super hard in retirement communities?
I agree, it looks like Italy has the US firmly beat in the number of deaths. On the other hand, I wouldn't count out the Americans. If they put their minds to it, and let the virus spread unabated, they can achieve anything. 🇺🇸

Edit:
As a disclaimer,
I'm sorry if I offended anyone but I feel it's better to channel irony than misery.

Last edited: