• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even right now they're still talking about the role of private companies in handling this crisis. what is wrong with these people.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, it looks like Italy has the US firmly beat in the number of deaths. On the other hand, I wouldn't count out the Americans. If they put their minds to it, and let the virus spread unabated, they can achieve anything. 🇺🇸
Hilarious

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I know everyone just wants to shit on how the US is handling it, but isn't the stats of infected per 1 million and deaths per 1 million a much more important stat? The US is way low compared to other places and the US is much bigger than most of those countries on the list in size and population. When you combine multiple European countries on the list, they come out way ahead in both of those stats. You may as well be supporting the notion that the Flu kills more people per year so Coronavirus isn't a big deal by comparison if you want to just look at total numbers instead of looking at the infection rate and the death rate of the two if you're going to look at total number of cases rather than how it compares per million people. I have no doubt we're going to get worse, but we're not close to being the worst right now.
You make a reasonable point that the absolute number of cases and deaths isn't hugely meaningful, but you also need to remember that the US is several weeks behind many other countries in terms of the spread of coronavirus. And you need to consider how widespread testing is in each country too. For those reasons, even the per capita figures for number of cases (time-adjusted from the date of the first confirmed case, if you like) aren't even directly comparable.

However, based on the idea that the US is testing less thoroughly than some EU countries, and is several weeks behind in terms of the spread of the virus, things don't look great in terms of numbers of cases so far. And as you say, things will get a lot worse.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, it looks like Italy has the US firmly beat in the number of deaths. On the other hand, I wouldn't count out the Americans. If they put their minds to it, and let the virus spread unabated, they can achieve anything. 🇺🇸

i think Florida alone will beat Italy considering the elderly population and the lack of social distancing

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People seem pretty... happy here about this?

The US having the most cases was inevitable for a number of reasons. No point being upset by it, the worst is still coming.

I say this as someone who has been trying to warn people the worst was coming for weeks.

Edit: I just feel numb about all of this. People I know will get it, people I know will probably die from it. Just...what can you do...it's mortifying to see how Trump has handled this

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I hope for the best, and that things can be reigned in. On the other hand, it sure looks like some people are still not taking things seriously, and treating this like it's nothing. See those spring break news last week.
People are taking this serious and the ones that aren't are listening to their gov officials who aren't going to be in the line of fire, it'll be the people who put trust in them which idk about you shouldn't be a death sentance.

I live in NYC and we've taken this seriously for weeks but that doesn't change the situation the city is about to face nor is it particularly funny

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
also america's testing numbers are still middling

EUC5YaUU4AIVml9

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I know everyone just wants to shit on how the US is handling it, but isn't the stats of infected per 1 million and deaths per 1 million a much more important stat? The US is way low compared to other places and the US is much bigger than most of those countries on the list in size and population. When you combine multiple European countries on the list, they come out way ahead in both of those stats. You may as well be supporting the notion that the Flu kills more people per year so Coronavirus isn't a big deal by comparison if you want to just look at total numbers instead of looking at the infection rate and the death rate of the two if you're going to look at total number of cases rather than how it compares per million people. I have no doubt we're going to get worse, but we're not close to being the worst right now.

We're also a few weeks behind the hotspots in Europe.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I've been avoiding numbers articles (because honestly it's not going to change my actions whether it's 10K or 100K, I'm still not going out unless I have to). So these numbers are fairly new to me since last Monday or so, and I'm floored at the Italy number. The US has almost 6 times as many people as them. The NYC metro area alone has almost a third of their population

Dec 31, 2017
Damn man. This is scary as shit. NY metro is suffering

Some of the responses here are weirdly jubilant. This ain't a game.

Last edited:

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
China has way more cases then reported. No way they don't. Also when this is all done over 200 million worldwide will be estimated as having this.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I know everyone just wants to shit on how the US is handling it, but isn't the stats of infected per 1 million and deaths per 1 million a much more important stat? The US is way low compared to other places and the US is much bigger than most of those countries on the list in size and population.
Sorry, I already quoted you once but I'm going to do it again :)

If you want to see some good visualisation of how different countries compare, then check out http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

If you scroll down you can see confirmed cases (or deaths) per 1million population. You'll see that the US isn't the worst (not in the top 10) but that's partly because these numbers are skewed heavily by countries with very small populations - the likes of San Marino, Andorra and Liechtenstein and Vatican City have tiny populations so even 1 case there will give a large per capita figure.

It's a cool site and worth playing around with for anyone who wants to dig into the numbers a bit. And if you want to frighten yourself then switch the scale from log to linear.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the general sentiment toward the lockdowns and social distancing at this point wherever you guys are in the US?
I'm in the Pennsylvania Suburbs of Philadelphia and I have to say, people seem to be taking it seriously. Roads are empty, people in stores are really trying to maintain safe distances. There are some outliers here and there but honestly people seem to be following the guidelines. Whether that holds or not for a few more weeks remains to be seen

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
This is getting pretty scary. I already haven't felt well the last couple days, and I don't have insurance either. I have asthma as well as a auto-immune disease. If I contracted the virus I'd be fucked

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
People are taking this serious and the ones that aren't are listening to their gov officials who aren't going to be in the line of fire, it'll be the people who put trust in them which idk about you shouldn't be a death sentance.

I live in NYC and we've taken this seriously for weeks but that doesn't change the situation the city is about to face nor is it particularly funny
Humour can be an effective way of dealing with a hopeless situation. Look at Trumps approval numbers despite his gov messing this up in basically any way they can.

I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else but I feel it's better to channel irony than misery.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
People seem pretty... happy here about this?
Nobody is happy about this.

But when you can so clearly see something coming, and you see your leaders doing none of the things necessary to try to prevent it, sometimes all you can do is laugh when it arrives.

A lot of us have been talking about this here for over a month. Back when people were saying Sony was doomed and blowing it off and telling people they should travel all over the world. We know how serious and devastating this is. We've tried to get people to pay attention and act accordingly.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I hope for the best, and that things can be reigned in. On the other hand, it sure looks like some people are still not taking things seriously, and treating this like it's nothing. See those spring break news last week.

it's not just people who haven't "taken it seriously" who are suffering and dying, so acting like this is comeuppance is pretty gross.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm in the Pennsylvania Suburbs of Philadelphia and I have to say, people seem to be taking it seriously. Roads are empty, people in stores are really trying to maintain safe distances. There are some outliers here and there but honestly people seem to be following the guidelines. Whether that holds or not for a few more weeks remains to be seen
That's refreshing to hear, thank you for your perspective.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm maintaining a countdown until Trump tweets about the liberal mainstream medical community overhyping the virus to threaten his re-election

Also the liberal mainstream mayors and governors continuing lockdowns after he tries to open the country to hurt his re-election

And also the liberal mainstream virus protein bundles getting people sick to hurt his re-election
It''s already a "thing" in QAnon circles that the MSM is planning a coordinated attack on shutting down the internet.

I wish I was even joking.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
As long as we keep the testing up, we are on track to have over 200k by the end of the month. That's 5 days from now...

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
"It's one person. Coming in from CHY-NAH. We have it totally under control."

"It's 15 people. And you'll see it's like a miracle, it will all just go away."

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know how much I trust the total numbers from China but in terms of official numbers we will not be beaten.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is happy about this.

But when you can so clearly see something coming, and you see your leaders doing none of the things necessary to try to prevent it, sometimes all you can do is laugh when it arrives.

A lot of us have been talking about this here for over a month. Back when people were saying Sony was doomed and blowing it off and telling people they should travel all over the world. We know how serious and devastating this is. We've tried to get people to pay attention and act accordingly.

I've been warning about this here for over two months, since back when the official direction of the forum staff was to defer to the inept WHO (just wash your hands and don't change your travel plans, this is not a pandemic), back when it was considered crazy to call for flights to be grounded and sweeping travel bans, and when it was considered "fear mongering" to tell people to make sure they had enough food and supplies due to impending mass panic at stores.