• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
it's not just people who haven't "taken it seriously" who are suffering and dying, so acting like this is comeuppance is pretty gross.
No, it's the inevitable result, and there's not much we can do about it.

Acknowledging it isn't acting like it's "comeuppance". It's just stating that yes, given people's attitudes and actions, this was unavoidable. And it's going to get a lot worse.

I've been warning about this here for over two months, since back when the official direction of the forum staff was to defer to the inept WHO (just wash your hands and don't change your travel plans, this is not a pandemic), back when it was considered crazy to call for flights to be grounded and sweeping travel bans, and when it was considered "fear mongering" to tell people to make sure they had enough food and supplies due to impending mass panic at stores.
I hear you.

So I hope that you can understand people's reaction in the face of frustration of having nobody take it seriously, and having a leadership vacuum that's making it worse in a country where it didn't need to get this bad this fast.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I hear you.

So I hope that you can understand people's reaction in the face of frustration of having nobody take it seriously, and having a leadership vacuum that's making it worse in a country where it didn't need to get this bad this fast.

I understand the frustration, but the idea of laughing is completely alien to me. I don't want to sit here and be some kind of scold, so I'll just peace out. Just expressing my astonishment is all.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I understand the frustration, but the idea of laughing is completely alien to me. I don't want to sit here and be some kind of scold, so I'll just peace out. Just expressing my astonishment is all.
Out of interest, what would you have people do? Wail and gnash their teeth?

We're powerless here. All we can do is laugh and try and get on with our lives as best we can.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Hard to imagine how states like Kentucky could handle this with the amount of hospitals closing downs

Oct 25, 2017
lots of b-but china is fake in this thread. you guys realise that what china did is physically different than what other countries did right? if western countries put in the same amount of effort, and got huge numbers then you get to call fake
china's numbers are fake my dude, the virus was in China in late november last year, quarantine didnt happen until late january and that was only in Hubei, other provinces didnt go on lockdown until February.

China lost a lot of time prosecuting doctors

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the record, no one here is laughing or joking about it because they don't take it seriously. They are making jokes about it because that's the only other response option we have left as this virus literally brings our country to a screeching halt by incompetent fuckin leadership.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
This is a ghoulish as fuck thread.

Imagine if the pandemic was slamming India and we got a bunch of Bollywood gifs and puns.

context is different, this is americans that live in america, a country whose inhabitants constantly brag/spout off about being number 1, sarcastically making fun of us achieving it yet again

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
Lets be real here, even if the US was on the ball a month in advance it still would have eventually gotten to this point, only a little bit later. The US and its population is just not setup for this kind of an issue. The US itself gets an insane amount of traffic from everywhere on top of being huge with a large population. Americans in general dont like being told what to do and you cant just bolt them into their homes and make them disappear if they dont listen, they still have rights. Even if you gave them all of the security nets youd want, you will not be able to keep them in place for long. The US was always going to be "#1" here eventually and unfortunately.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to imagine how states like Kentucky could handle this with the amount of hospitals closing downs

Kentucky's governor has been doing an amazing job with what he has been dealt with. It really feels like he has a lot of trust from folks in the state (almost everyone I know I work tunes into his daily conference). Helps that his runs at the same time Trump's bullshit carnival is airing too. I can't imagine being in one of the other states where the governor/state govt doesn't give a fuck.

EUEwF3fXYAIHX2-

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
china's numbers are fake my dude, the virus was in China in late november last year, quarantine didnt happen until late january and that was only in Hubei, other provinces didnt go on lockdown until February.

China lost a lot of time prosecuting doctors
So if they are fake, then, what are your real numbers from your sources? China implemented crazy lockdown measures for Hubei. None of my extended family in China got this, and I have a ton. In other provinces, there were no mass outbreaks. China has huge numbers of mass population centers. If containment failed, you would know.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Kentucky's governor has been doing an amazing job with what he has been dealt with. It really feels like he has a lot of trust from folks in the state (almost everyone I know I work tunes into his daily conference). Helps that his runs at the same time Trump's bullshit carnival is airing too. I can't imagine being in one of the other states where the governor/state govt doesn't give a fuck.

You know you're doing good when the Indiana border radio stations are talking more about you than their own Governor.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I hope for the best, and that things can be reigned in. On the other hand, it sure looks like some people are still not taking things seriously, and treating this like it's nothing. See those spring break news last week.
I mean , the spring break is really the reason for numbers skyrocketing.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
While i'm also a bit skeptical of China's and Japan's numbers.
While China did enforce an insane military style lockdown on Hubei, and im sure that helped greatly.
This whole ''saving face'' culture from both country is really making me question they're numbers. I don't have proof so I can't argue with anything beside having my own opinion.

My best example would be my many friends in Japan. They were in quarantine when the cruse ship came by. After that was contained it was back to normal for everyone. I firmly believe they wanted to make the Olympics happen, so they wanted to ''show the world'' that they had it contained and everything was fine. Ever since the Olympics has been canceled, it's now back to quarantine and many of them have now lost their job.
This whole, quarantine, not in quarantine and quarantine again, makes this whole thing super suspicious, and my view (which might be lacking) on Japan is that they are a lot more democratic than China.

Now if Japan were like this, I cannot even imagine how China is doing then.

Whenever a global disaster happened, we use to look at the reaction of the United States. How did the US handle the situation and right now they are failing the test. While the image China is showing is that they contained the virus and sending help all around the world to help. I mean we're talking about a country that's harvesting live organs in concentration camps! In my mind, they are using this situation to ''save face''. Do anything in their power to look like the reliable super power of the world, no matter the sacrifices. And we've all seen the stories of the Hubei Quarantine Crashes, and the people with disability dying of hunger because care takers could not get to them.

My wife as a lot of Chinese friends, all great people, but it's extremely obvious how many of them are part of the system. If they are told everything is fine, all is fine. We needed a whistle blower from China to get this thing started for crying out loud.

Back on topic, I hope the US wakes up. While I don't live there, my job (that's I've now lost) is 100% reliant on the US doing a good job. Seeing how things are going, i'm be out of a job for a lot more than 2 months.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if they are fake, then, what are your real numbers from your sources? China implemented crazy lockdown measures for Hubei. None of my extended family in China got this, and I have a ton. In other provinces, there were no mass outbreaks. China has huge numbers of mass population centers. If containment failed, you would know.
Simply because it's state run sources that release those numbers which are unlikely to be scrutinized. Any sensible judgement cannot be gained from a totalitarian government that is hell bent in falsifying info that spends millions on propaganda.

Remember, Uyghur genocide is not happening, those mass interment camps are education camps that no one there enrolled for.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
China's "real" numbers are irrelevant, because we'll pass them up in short order too, don't you worry. Probably won't take more than another day or two. We got this.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
I'll add here that I heard lots of rumors in the early days of the Wuhan outbreak of people dieing while waiting in line for treatment not being counted and of deaths by covid being labeled as pneumonia and such and not being part of the covid total.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I don't think it's gonna be long before you overtake Italy's death number either. The leadership in America has been predictably terrible and now people are dying because of it.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sadly I don't think it's gonna be long before you overtake Italy's death number either. The leadership in America has been predictably terrible and now people are dying because of it.

Eventually the US will probably pass Italy's numbers. The countries that eventually have the most coronavirus deaths (reported or not) will probably be China, India, and the US.

This shouldn't be a huge surprise, given population numbers.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I got this obnoxious thing in the mail from the CDC about the Coronavirus saying "president Trumps blah blah" It's disgusting how they are trying to make him look good in this damn pandemic.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Eventually the US will probably pass Italy's numbers. The countries that eventually have the most coronavirus deaths (reported or not) will probably be China, India, and the US.

This shouldn't be a huge surprise, given population numbers.
Curious why you'd think that. India went on a national lockdown when they hit just 500 cases, and there is zero indication that China is hiding some kind of mass number of virus casualties.