• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
I'll add here that I heard lots of rumors in the early days of the Wuhan outbreak of people dieing while waiting in line for treatment not being counted and of deaths by covid being labeled as pneumonia and such and not being part of the covid total.

Wuhan numbers are very likely underreported, but it's just one city of 11 million, in a province with 60+ million.

Lockdown (as in stopping movement to and from other provinces), massive testing and contact tracing prevented covid from large scale community spread in other provinces.

There is no way China's real numbers would be worse than multitudes of Italy's, for example. it's just my own estimation though.

I've been back to work for a month in a busy city of 20+ million where there are no new domestic cases for a month. and I commute by train. I think it says something at least.

Last edited:

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to get worse before it gets better, but we will get through this. Stay safe everyone.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Several people at the white house are probably currently trying to explain to Trump why he can't lie on reported cases like China and Russia.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Lets be real here, even if the US was on the ball a month in advance it still would have eventually gotten to this point, only a little bit later. The US and its population is just not setup for this kind of an issue. The US itself gets an insane amount of traffic from everywhere on top of being huge with a large population. Americans in general dont like being told what to do and you cant just bolt them into their homes and make them disappear if they dont listen, they still have rights. Even if you gave them all of the security nets youd want, you will not be able to keep them in place for long. The US was always going to be "#1" here eventually and unfortunately.
I feel the same. I had a bad feeling this would happen as soon as cases started being reported here.

Gaston

Oct 28, 2017
Our number is so under reported too. My brother caught it and the guidance is basically don't get tested. And it's near impossible to get tested unless you have a severe case.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Our number is so under reported too. My brother caught it and the guidance is basically don't get tested. And it's near impossible to get tested unless you have a severe case.
Same in the UK. It's basically the reason everyone is saying that the "dead" number is the only one worth tracking now.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
5d chess virtuoso Trump will propagate a mortal disease on his own country so the mexicans will be forced to build a wall on their frontier with their own money so people from the USA cant go south

Smart so smart

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
Simply because it's state run sources that release those numbers which are unlikely to be scrutinized. Any sensible judgement cannot be gained from a totalitarian government that is hell bent in falsifying info that spends millions on propaganda.

Remember, Uyghur genocide is not happening, those mass interment camps are education camps that no one there enrolled for.
But we get many report inside the Uighur itself. So Is not like CCP able to silent It completely. If COVID 19 really spread outside wuhan more than reported. Then we should hear it form Chinese citizen. No matter how hard CCP lockdown

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
#1 #1 #1 #1 #1

I'm gonna rise up, I'm gonna kick a little ass, Gonna kick some ass in the USA, Gonna climb a mountain, Gonna sew a flag, Gonna fly on an Eagle, I'm gonna kick some butt, I'm gonna drive a big truck, I'm gonna rule this world, Gonna kick some ass, Gonna rise up, Kick a little ass,

ROCK, FLAG AND EAGLE!

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... we also have the third largest population in the world. So its logical that we would have a larger number of cases.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
JnDEYau_d.jpg
Did you create that?

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
But we get many report inside the Uighur itself. So Is not like CCP able to silent It completely. If COVID 19 really spread outside wuhan more than reported. Then we should hear it form Chinese citizen. No matter how hard CCP lockdown

Because a large amount of users here simply won't trust anything coming out of Chinese citizens' (or expatriates) lived experience unless it's absolutely in line of what they expect. No nuance required.

I was in three provinces during the outbreak and contact tracing information of every case in these provinces are documented and published, including where they have been to and what kind of public transportation they have used, etc. etc.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the frustration, but the idea of laughing is completely alien to me. I don't want to sit here and be some kind of scold, so I'll just peace out. Just expressing my astonishment is all.

Not everyone deals with situations the same way you do. A lot of people use humour as a form of coping with a bad situation.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Still arguing with idiots on my suburbs facebook page. Now the virus being deadly is real but China is lying. That's their take. At least it's like 5% of people instead of half of people saying you're being a Karen for reporting parties during at home stay order.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Still arguing with idiots on my suburbs facebook page. Now the virus being deadly is real but China is lying. That's their take. At least it's like 5% of people instead of half of people saying you're being a Karen for reporting parties during at home stay order.

Thing is, we know China was lying at the beginning of the virus, but now we believe they are telling the truth?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Thing is, we know China was lying at the beginning of the virus, but now we believe they are telling the truth?

I believe they quarantined much more effectively than us. You can see pictures of Wuhan completely derelict with only a few people on the streets that appear to be workers and even they have masks on. Meanwhile we have black Friday runs for toilet paper and searching several stores all exposing the same shared surfaces and air. So I see it being very plausible that China did better.

But deflecting the reality of this pandemic in the United States with whataboutism with China means we already failed.

Now it wasn't you that posted what I'm referring to, but he was also saying how great we were because or mortality rate is lower to which I'm like those people are in the process of dieing right now, disease has to progress after infection numbers

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
China probably is/may be lying but that doesn't mean this is any less serious. Don't worry about Facebook fools, they'll just drive you insane.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
China probably is/may be lying but that doesn't mean this is any less serious. Don't worry about Facebook fools, they'll just drive you insane.

Normally I agree but these are my extended neighbors. I'm trying to reduce spread. Or perhaps I'm letting my ego think I can.

I did turn my cousin into "it's just the flu" to posting truth about 3 weeks ago

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah...Europe's definitely not letting me into the continent for my vacation in May. What a mess.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
It has been interesting watching the Virus tracker on Bing. It started here in Washington and has been growing slowly, but then watching New York is crazy. It just exploded there. 2/3 of the cases are just New York. I guess it makes sense with the population density but sheesh.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Germany's death numbers are extremely suspicious. AFAIK, they are not counting the elderly or people with previous illnesses. Or people who die at home. They only count people who die in hospitals. That's why they are so low.

Or we just have a relatively functioning healthcare system and most Germans are pretty easy with following rules like keeping a minimum distance. I was in the park for 30 minutes yesterday and didn't see a single grouping that had more than 2 people at once. Fining the shit out of people helps too. If you are caught in a gym that's 5k for you. Yesterday in my city a group of 5 were hanging out, everyone had to pay 200.

Maybe stop spreading bullshit lol.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We get Uighur report that bring to light the horrors taking place by escaped victims, and reporters inside have written how they're followed and consequently forced to leave areas, and previous bustling areas of Uighur regions having been completely transformed and those left terrified to even mention the atrocities taken place in fear of being outted by local watchers. The sheer scale is still unknown, so no, we don't get reports from inside Uighur without continuous obstacles, threats and intimidation. And it's great we get to hear from citizens but they're anecdotes, not something we can bank on, so being skeptical of figures from CCP is valid. But yes, at the moment it's not really about competing figures, the under reporting is something for Chinese people to reconcile with, the US will become the epicenter of this pandemic due to the incompetence of their government, and its something I'm truly worried about, given EU nation's excellent health care systems have almost collapsed in dealing with the virus, my stomach is in knots thinking of how Republicans hatred of social care will impact the most vulnerable in US.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
China isn't one person... The fault in Wuhan has been pinned on the former governor and mayor there and both have been removed from their positions and are now being prosecuted.... yes there's a chance they are being scapegoated but anyone who knows the Chinese political system would know that their provincial leaders have a ton of power (in a country of so many billions they need to), so it wouldn't be completely unbelievable for them to cover their own asses back then without anyone telling them to.

Bigger question is, what's the logic in being the first to completely destroy their economy by shutting everything down in a far more extreme fashion, way more than is being done in the West, and tracing/quarantining everyone, again in a degree far more than the west, only to start opening things up again and risk the same issues as before by being non transparent (I.e. overloaded hospital systems and utter chaos as in Wuhan early on?). It doesn't make logical sense.

and other neighboring countries with different governments, I.e. Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, etc. all have their counts notably down, so its not just China who's trying those methods and having them pay off.

Or we just have a relatively functioning healthcare system and most Germans are pretty easy with following rules like keeping a minimum distance. I was in the park for 30 minutes yesterday and didn't see a single grouping that had more than 2 people at once. Fining the shit out of people helps too. If you are caught in a gym that's 5k for you. Yesterday in my city a group of 5 were hanging out, everyone had to pay 200.

Maybe stop spreading bullshit lol.

its hilarious how people still don't want to believe how different responses to this pandemic can yield different results. How hard is it to understand that if your government fail to lockdown your people, the virus will spread a lot quicker than if it does?

the US government failed to lockdown and we the people failed to follow the rules and now we have a mess in our hands. Compared to other countries who have done this way, way better.

Last edited:

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
china's numbers are fake my dude, the virus was in China in late november last year, quarantine didnt happen until late january and that was only in Hubei, other provinces didnt go on lockdown until February.

China lost a lot of time prosecuting doctors

First reported case hit the US Jan 20th, little over 2 months later with no real lock downs, we have passed 80k and China . The growth and timeline lines up astonishingly well with your China example, where it was exploding after 2 months and no real lockdowns. A lot of cases were covered up for sure, but not exponentially more as is often suggested.

PRBoricua23

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I just want to say as a resident of Wayne County, Michigan. I've never been more scared in my life.

I live with my 70 yr old father, if something should happen to him I would never forgive myself.

This is awful.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Those numbers are terrifying. I wish we would just lock the country down for the next 6-8 weeks so we can properly try to slow this thing down and get ahead of it.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And most of these are recent cases. Get ready for the inevitable thousands of deaths in a week or 2.
Less than a week. 149 total deaths on 3/18, 413 on 3/22. 1195 today. With deaths doubling every 4 days or so... we're looking 1200+ additional deaths by Tuesday or Wednesday, or 2500ish total. I'm guessing it'll be 2 weeks before that's a daily number with the way things are shaping up in the South (NOLA, GA and FL specifically).

Shit's grim.