• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
www.businessinsider.com

One chart compares coronavirus cases per capita in the hardest-hit countries around the world — Switzerland, Spain, and Italy top the list

Switzerland tops the list, with 1,340 coronavirus cases per million residents. The US, by contrast, has only 210 cases per million people.

Europe definite tops the list on that

k8a5w0zr_z8lfrp_1cabanj.png

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not "spreading bullshit": that is exactly what some have criticized about Germany's approach around here. That's why I said "AFAIK": I'm not pulling numbers out of my ass, I'm asking about what I've heard in the media. You seem to have skipped previous answers regarding this matter, so enjoy gloating about your low number of cases while you can. The curve is gonna hit every country fast.

And don't tell me about fining people as if Spain and Italy haven't been doing it for weeks now. Here in Spain, 144,555 people have been fined so far. The police forces and the army are running thin trying to deal with this issue. They are literally one of the most affected groups, right after healthcare professionals, since they have deal with tons of people on a daily basis.

You want to talk about bullshit? Germany and the Netherlands have prevented the EU from reaching an agreement to help the countries most affected by COVID-19, including Italy, Spain and France. Because economy > people. Now, that's bullshit I'd love to address.
Where have I skipped previous answers regarding this matter?
What the fuck are you even talking about? Quotes please. Quote me one message I supposedly skipped.
Claims to not make shit up and then proceeds to make shit up. Good going.

Yeah, your army and police are running thin, ours arent. Your hospitals are at breaking point, ours arent. We dont have the same healthcare system nor the same possibilities for state funding. Its almost like that makes a difference.

As of now, all I know is Germany taking in patients from Italy, Switzerland and France.
We are in a recession as well, and we all know who would have to pay pretty much everything when those bonds should become a thing.

The ecenomy is the people. If the conomy fails, people lose their job. Wonder whos taxpayer money you request for your corona patients when more and more people in Germany arent paying taxes anymore.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
In my village there are more people around than ever before. I work from home and usually it's quiet but since everyone is at home now the village and surrounding trails are full of people out walking and cycling, as well as gathering in massive groups to queue up for the natural spring water.
The city seems deserted but countryside busier than ever haha.
It's snowing next week, maybe then everyone will stay at home.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Don't know if this was posted yet, but the US have no guaranteed sick pay compared to other countries definitely doesn't help.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
not surprising but will be interesting to see how they deal with it. can only imagine the deaths skyrocketing unfortunately.

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
I really do think that there are at the minimum of minimum 600-700k people infrcted if in China. They also did react very late plus its there since November 2019.

So at the average , the number of infected people is at multimillions since at least beginning of March.

This is really a tragedy for the whole world😞☹️

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The German mortality rate in comparison to every other country is incredibly low. What's the reason for this?

They are actually not entirely sure why. Even in Germany they don't claim to know why. Multiple possible reasons are usually stated:

- Germany tests much more of its citizens than many other countries, so also many mild cases or cases without any symptons, that would normally not be detected in other countries, are detected there. This leads to a very big number of detected cases, but not that many severe cases that lead to death.

- At least at first It were mostly younger and healthier citizens that caught the coronavirus. Apparently many Germans got infected when they were on vacation in Austrian ski resorts.

- Germany is better prepared than most other countries, it has more intensive care hospital beds per capita than most other countries, it has a robust health care system, it learned from the mistakes of countries that were caught by the virus earlier like Italy...

- Merkel's leadership has been very calm, cautious and smart.

Last edited:

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
They are actually not entirely sure why. Even in Germany they don't claim to know why. Multiple possible reasons are usually stated:

- Germany tests much more of its citizens than many other countries, so also many mild or cases without any symptons, that would normally not be detected in other countries, are detected there. This leads to a very big number of detected cases, but not that many severe cases that lead to death.

- At least at first It were mostly younger and healthier citizens that caught the coronavirus. Apparently many Germans got infected when they were on vacation in Austrian ski resorts.

- Germany is better prepared than most other countries, it has more intensive care hospital beds per capita than most other countries, it has a robust health care system, it learned from the mistakes of countries that were caught by the virus earlier like Italy...

- Merkel's leadership has been very calm, cautious and smart.

A refreshing read.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
To put Italy's numbers in perspective. They are less than 1,000 deaths away from having more deaths due to Covid-19 than 9/11, U.S. military deaths in Iraq, and U.S. military deaths in Afghanistan combined.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
We will catch up in 2 weeks unfortunately.

I wonder if people will take it more seriously when COVID-19 infections have not only caused more of an economic hit to the USA than 9/11, but also, when more people have died from COVID-19 than 9/11. I'd love for it to never get to that point, but I think we're already there economically, and it seems inevitable that we'll be there in terms of loss of life within a week or two.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I wonder if people will take it more seriously when COVID-19 infections have not only caused more of an economic hit to the USA than 9/11, but also, when more people have died from COVID-19 than 9/11. I'd love for it to never get to that point, but I think we're already there economically, and it seems inevitable that we'll be there in terms of loss of life within a week or two.

Based on the new infection cases even if it stopped tomorrow I think we will get to 911 number of deaths per day. Because not only will it kill x % but after we exceed ventilators it'll uptick a lot

Oct 29, 2017
I really worry that the Americans most affected will be minorities and the poor. Which means this will all be swept under the table like Hurricane Katrina.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Based on the new infection cases even if it stopped tomorrow I think we will get to 911 number of deaths per day. Because not only will it kill x % but after we exceed ventilators it'll uptick a lot
Yeah, it'd be pretty surprising if the US can weather Covid-19 with fewer than 40,000 deaths. Maybe this can be averted if the whole country were to shut down today, but that's not happening, and the shut downs that are in place are possibly too lax to properly isolate the infection. Eventually the US will have to implement a Italy-style lockdown, but that point will be at least two weeks in the future, and the infection rate will be runaway by then.

Jan 10, 2018
and it only started with a single case in January
The German mortality rate in comparison to every other country is incredibly low. What's the reason for this?

If I have to guess, Germany's biggest cities are far in between and the people who got it got it mostly from skiing. Ski season was mostly over and those who had time to ski live in the southern regions, which is quite rural. Also skiing is not so big amongst older people.

Politicians acted very late however.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
isn't italy's case rate under estimating because they're only even testing hospitalized people now? so the vast majority don't get tested giving a misleading number

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
If I have to guess, Germany's biggest cities are far in between and the people who got it got it mostly from skiing. Ski season was mostly over and those who had time to ski live in the southern regions, which is quite rural. Also skiing is not so big amongst older people.

Politicians acted very late however.
It's also possible that, due to Germany's extensive testing, they're catching a lot of cases very early. And since it usually takes some 2-3 weeks after infection for a person to get really sick, it's fairly likely for Germany's death rate to rise until it matches that of South Korea.

isn't italy's case rate under estimating because they're only even testing hospitalized people now? so the vast majority don't get tested giving a misleading number
Oh yes, Italy is still undertesting. The actual number of infections is probably at least double what the reported totals are. When the full numbers come out Italy's death rate should come down as well.

Unfortunately, the US is on the losing end of both of these phenomena. The testing is still utterly inadequate so the real numbers are way higher than what's being reported. And most of these infections are relatively new so they're going to hit the hospitals over the next week or two. By next week I suspect that Americans will take Covid-19 a lot more seriously. The real question is whether there will be any real leadership from the government. So far there's nothing that suggests that this will ever happen.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
It's only going to get worse. Many don't realize how badly this will affect less developed countries over the course of the year. Do we know if the vaccination will be available for free once its mass produced for other countries? I was wondering that earlier.