• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

Famitsu (Google translated):
Unity Technologies Japan has announced that Unity supports "VR Goggles Toy-Con" of Nintendo Switch software " Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit ". This will allow Unity to be used to develop applications that support VR goggles.

Google translated press release:

Unity Technologies Japan LLC (Head office: Chuo-ku, Tokyo; Representative director and chairman: Nobuo Toyoda, hereinafter "the company"), which provides a multi-platform integrated development environment "Unity", Nintendo Co., Ltd. We announced that Unity supports the VR goggles Toy-Con (hereinafter referred to as VR goggles) of the released Nintendo Switch Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit. This allows Nintendo Switch developers to use Unity to develop applications that support VR goggles.

To become a Nintendo platform developer, register as a developer on the Nintendo Developer Portal. Please check the developer guide on the Nintendo Developer Portal for further information.

Nintendo Developer Portal

Since forming a partnership with Nintendo in 2013, the company has contributed to the supply of Unity-made game titles for many Nintendo platforms by supporting development tools for Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, and Nintendo Switch. We will also support the developers with the aim of releasing a large number of VR games developed with Unity in the same way for this VR goggles.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Oooo that's rad as heck! Wonder if there's anything behind this and the Spice and Wolf news back-to-back. Is the latter a Unity game?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, makes me think Nintendo wants third party games supporting the device. Now to find one of those third parties and get a job Labo-VR-ifying their games :)

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's time for Nintendo VR to kill off interest VR once and for all probably. /s

ksiTSh1.png

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Nice!
Hopefully we sill see more 3rd party VR games for the Switch. (Spice and Wolf VR was announced yesterday).

And still waiting for YouTube VR support, Google...

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I wonder if Nintendo, or a third party, would release a proper headset shell for switch if it continues to get support

Could even add cameras and make some new joycons with 6dof

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
There is that one motorcycle game. The devs advertised it as toy con motorcycle compatible
Deemo (indie rhythm game) also uses the Labo piano and the upcoming Puchicon 4 (Petite Computer, a game making app) will have support for various Labo kits. I'm not sure if Labo is something Nintendo officially supports in their sdk or if devs have to rely on workarounds and self testing though (like GCN controllers).

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Deemo (indie rhythm game) also uses the Labo piano and the upcoming Puchicon 4 (Petite Computer, a game making app) will have support for various Labo kits. I'm not sure if Labo is something Nintendo officially supports in their sdk or if devs have to rely on workarounds and self testing though (like GCN controllers).
Well good to know some devs are experimenting. Who knows where this is going

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
Dedicated VR hmd please Nintendo you know you want to
Indeed. ..or at a minimum a plastic shell to replace the main VR piece (mine has started to get a bit buckled/wobbly already).

If the Oculus Go can retail for $199 with battery, controller, memory, GPU and CPU built-in...

..there's little reason Nintendo couldn't release a dumb 3DoF wired 1080p headset for $129-$149.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm looking closely at future announcements: Spice and Wolf VR will support it, with future support on existing games and other VR games maybe i might consider the purchase. It's only 30 euro.