• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Basically, Unity is lying about finding non-existent information about indie devs potentially breaking EULA by making more money than they allow to with the free edition, in order to harass them into purchasing pro licenses. They are sending these emails en masse. Creepy and unprofessional.

EDIT:
Apparently this is a "mistake". Which is what any corporation would say about anything like this, but ok

Last edited:

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
That's why a FOSS game engine is so important.
I'm hoping that the Godot game engine starts getting more traction & progress so indie/hobbyist developers can ditch Unity.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that's super fucked up, to scare devs like that and threaten their livelihood to force them to get the non free version. if that's their plan they should just stop putting a free version out there.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here, but they probably were sent by mistake. This stuff is way more common than what you think.

But I agree, if it means less people will use Unity...

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its an error but they are improving based on positive and negative feedback? Lol ok that it wasn't deliberate.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping for answers with a bit more to them than that, but you might very well be correct!
Imo the whole 2018 cycle for Unity has been very promising, I'm not going to let this shady news skew my perception of the engine itself. The company though, they need to get some of their shit together over this

The icky people I will give a pass on disliking Unity irrationally are console players, because until recently Unity didn't support multi threaded code well, so performance there was hard to get good dev wise.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
they admitted it was a mistake and honestly handled it waaaaay more professionally than I thought they would coming into the thread. What a nightmare tho for all the devs involved, that shit would give me a heart attack upon reading the email lmao

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Has there been anything about Godot and console capability? Everything I've seen says they're looking into it, but nothing else.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Has there been anything about Godot and console capability? Everything I've seen says they're looking into it, but nothing else.
Here's the official support page. Basically it's impractical for an open-source engine to officially support consoles, since code written against a console SDK is covered by an NDA. There's a company called Lone Wolf Technologies that's done the work to run Godot on PS4/Switch/XBOne and will port games on contract.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the official support page. Basically it's impractical for an open-source engine to officially support consoles, since code written against a console SDK is covered by an NDA. There's a company called Lone Wolf Technologies that's done the work to run Godot on PS4/Switch/XBOne and will port games on contract.

If they're hoping to compete with the major engines someday, they should seriously look into relicensing their engine. Maybe the BSD license?

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
That's a shame, but I understand now. I'm trying to find something other than Unity because Unity seems to be overkill for what I need.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

Yeah sure...

The original aim was to check in with people who have not signed into their Unity account for some time, with a view to suggesting new learning materials that could help.

Threat=! Educational.

And let's be honest, that threat email is uniformed coded to fill in dev names to match up with each email account, so someone did a lot of work to create this email and was prepping it to be sent out.
Maybe they did sent it out early, but it would be sent out either way in the future. Then Unity got heat for it from everyone and pretending that they never "intended" to create this email nor sending it out...
You know, they just like to waste man hours on making the email template+database in the first place.

I dunno. I've sent an incorrect mass email before, it can happen.

Man that was not a fun day, lol.

Sure.
But did you actually put effort into it though?
Creating a generic template with blank fields?
Making sure that each blank field would automatically pull matching name and email from a database per email address in the mass email list?

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Godot will never be a serious alternative until it has real console support. Being open source does not prevent that, they could just have the console parts under a different license.

If they're hoping to compete with the major engines someday, they should seriously look into relicensing their engine. Maybe the BSD license?

They're already using the MIT license which is more or less the same as BSD.

Nov 28, 2017
U.K
Been using Unity for years on a hobbyist turned slightly professional basis. Never had a weird email from them and never paid them anything yet, and they've enabled me to basically make a business and a good-looking game.

I like Unity.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sure...

Threat=! Educational.
Apparently you missed the part where it was a mistake, they sent the wrong email to the group?

And let's be honest, that threat email is uniformed coded to fill in dev names to match up with each email account, so someone did a lot of work to create this email and was prepping it to be sent out.
Maybe they did sent it out early, but it would be sent out either way in the future. Then Unity got heat for it from everyone and pretending that they never "intended" to create this email nor sending it out...
You know, they just like to waste man hours on making the email template+database in the first place.
Who is doing a lot of work? Unity already sends emails out every month to all subscribers including the email address and company name. When you buy something from the asset store it does the same thing. Doing so is all automatic. When you create an account, you create it with an email address and a company name. Someone just put the wrong mail group this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.