• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
First day of Unite just ended, a lot of great new features, a free to use MP FPS project (that shows off other systems too) and their new networking entering Alpha stages. The last thing they showed was an additional peak into the performance and quality commitment they have made over the years and it's very impressive

Video at Timestamp:

e74f81b8e1f88352c345f1384dd10257.png

Oh also running on mobile

The demo and all assets will be out in 2019

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Even though it's like derivative cyberpunk, still dreaming of a game to properly capture verticality in this way.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Very impressive. Hope this is the kind of density and complexity of geometry we can expect next gen. Great lighting too.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I did update the OP, but the demo and assets will be free to use in 2019 as well.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unity's tech demo game has been on point. Wish Epic made more like these (hell, I'd settle for them bringing back the monthly showcase videos)

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
Tarkov still uses unity 5, they will migrate to unity 2018 probably next year, and it ha some amazing visuals with the time cycling. Unity in the right hands can be such a powerhouse.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
This is more than impressive, it's running on an iPhone.

Unity is evolving really good, and more important, it's really easy to use.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
its all relatively low poly but when they say streaming are they talking about cloud streaming or is this like a take on those 64k demoscene things where the world is generated on the fly?

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish they gave us a ballpark estimate for the stable release of 2018.3, we've barely got a couple of months till the year is over. The new prefab system is going to be a massive game-changer.

Also, is ECS actually usable for production purposes?

Edit: Also, this showcase of the Visual Effects Graph's capabilities is a jaw-dropper as well, if partly because this sort of thing is entirely possible without code:

Last edited:

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Zoinks. If only Cyberpunk 2077 looked like that... (not that it's bad but that demo is a whole other level)

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More information on the Visual Effect Graph, including where it's probably best not to use it currently (mainly in areas where you need actual world interaction/physics):

hichanbis

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The data oriented design is very promising indeed. If this can run on an iPhone X I can't imagine the games we'll get on next gen systems.
However, it's a completely new way of thinking and architecturing games from a dev point of view, so it will take time to catch on I think => at least 1 or 2 years to be tried and prototyped in big studios and then at least 3 years to see the first AAA games implementing it released.
They need to teach that in video game devs schools asap

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The data oriented design is very promising indeed. If this can run on an iPhone X I can't imagine the games we'll get on next gen systems.
However, it's a completely new way of thinking and architecturing games from a dev point of view, so it will take time to catch on I think => at least 1 or 2 years to be tried and prototyped in big studios and then at least 3 years to see the first AAA games implementing it released.
Data-oriented Design isn't a new way of thinking, it just hasn't been the most popular and OOP practices are more widely adopted. Insomniac and others have been working with game engines built on data-oriented design for years. That said, yes, it should be taught more in schools, as OOP is the one that still is most taught.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Like 80% of what I know to do in Unity won't be valid anymore if I want to use ECS

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yup ECS and the job system are nice, but devs need to learn to use and become proficient in them

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this demo could run in Unity 2018 and the ECS/Job system it has, or if there's some stuff in 2019 it really needs.

I guess it's doing some really effective CPU-side occlusion culling. It's a shame to have to wait for Unity 2019 to get the details (unless they're maybe going to do a deeper dive before then?)