MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
After getting leaked a few days ago Universal finally announced the new rollercoaster that has been under construction recently. The rollercoaster will go in Islands of Adventure at the Jurassic Park section of the park.

"The coaster, which has been under construction at Universal's Islands of Adventure for some time, will feature more than 4,700 feet of track, with riders reaching speeds of up to 70 mph. Universal is calling it a "new species of roller coaster" that will feature "a series of intense maneuvers."

Among those intense maneuvers are 360-degree barrel roll about the Islands of Adventure lagoon and a zero-gravity inverted stall that will send riders upside down across 100 feet of track. The VelociCoaster will also feature a "top hat" that will propel riders 155 feet into the air before they plunge into an 80-degree drop."

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando...nounces-upcoming-jurassic-world-velocicoaster

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fun! I know it's hardly a unique thing, but I love coasters that go out over the water like that for some reason.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
This dumb thing has been under construction for almost a year.

Any idea on the designer? Clearly isn't a B&M. Intamin?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well at least it's a better name than the Flying Dinosaur I suppose, I was hoping for a different one. I'll never understand why Universal announces their stuff so late after they've been on view under construction for so long

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see the coaster that they denied existing even though the track is completed finally announced

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Is the idea that the roller coaster exists in-universe, also as a roller coaster? I can't imagine the theme making much sense otherwise

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Is the idea that the roller coaster exists in-universe, also as a roller coaster? I can't imagine the theme making much sense otherwise
I don't think we know much about the story of the ride. There's some raptor animatronics and containment cages that they'll be in so I think the story of the ride is that they escaped. I don't know how they'll tie in the ride vehicles themselves though.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we know much about the story of the ride. There's some raptor animatronics and containment cages that they'll be in so I think the story of the ride is that they escaped. I don't know how they'll tie in the ride vehicles themselves though.

My first thought was the coaster was from the raptor POV, kinda like you're supposed to have transformed into a Hulk on the Hulk coaster.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Its probably going to be something like, "we designed this thing so guests can experience a raptor speed test oh no the raptors are loose hopefully this thing is fast enough to keep you from dying!"

So does anything about this coaster sound unique or is it just a basic coaster?

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Its probably going to be something like, "we designed this thing so guests can experience a raptor speed test oh no the raptors are loose hopefully this thing is fast enough to keep you from dying!"

So does anything about this coaster sound unique or is it just a basic coaster?
It's Florida's fastest and tallest launch coaster and has some awesome turns and an amazing 12 seconds of airtime.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Universal Studios really needs to do a proper Jurassic Park section that is basically like the first film's T-Rex attack with the people being inside the jeep.

Rollercoasters and splash rides aren't it.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Universal Studios really needs to do a proper Jurassic Park section that is basically like the first film's T-Rex attack with the people being inside the jeep.

I feel like it isn't asking for much, though I do love the River Adventure.

The real irony is that King Kong right next door uses the EXACT self-driving technology that would be perfect for a Jurassic Park section.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The real irony is that King Kong right next door uses the EXACT self-driving technology that would be perfect for a Jurassic Park section.

It's been such a no-brainer since 1993, not sure why they keep tip toeing around it. They could do like a wrap around screen for the full body T-Rex parts and have a T-Rex head to bash into the side of the jeep.

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

That would be really cool but I'm glad Universal have realized that simulators are not the only thing they can build. It's nice to see animatronics and physical sets.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I think the leaks said this was supposed to be a heavily themed coaster with a story but I'm feeling like this is just going to be the hulk. It seems too fast and too much of a thrill ride to be anything else.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
God I love Intamin coasters. This looks fantastic. The barrell roll over the water is gonna be so awesome

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
That would be really cool but I'm glad Universal have realized that simulators are not the only thing they can build. It's nice to see animatronics and physical sets.

I meant purely from a ride vehicle standpoint. I wouldn't want Jurassic Park as a simulator either, and a good chunk of King Kong isn't. But that ride vehicle would be perfect for a physical JP attraction.

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I think the leaks said this was supposed to be a heavily themed coaster with a story but I'm feeling like this is just going to be the hulk. It seems too fast and too much of a thrill ride to be anything else.
There's an pretty accurate video on YouTube which is a POV of the entire ride. If you're expecting anything like Hagrid's, then no. It'll be much less of a story.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

Universal Creative actually did make concept art for a Jurassic Park Jeep ride during the development of Islands of Adventure.

jeepmain2-1024x692.jpg

jeepsafari6.gif
jeepsafari7.gif
jeepsafari8.gif
jeepsafari9.gif

It never got off the ground, sadly. Most likely because Universal figured the attraction was too similar story wise to River Adventure, which they were bringing over to Florida from Hollywood.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
I will still never like that name. Was hoping they'd go with Raptor Run or something. Alliteration > puns.

I think the leaks said this was supposed to be a heavily themed coaster with a story but I'm feeling like this is just going to be the hulk.
It's definitely got theming but it's not a story coaster like Hagrid's nearby is; this one is more focused on the thrill elements.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
There's an pretty accurate video on YouTube which is a POV of the entire ride. If you're expecting anything like Hagrid's, then no. It'll be much less of a story.

I saw it a while back, and while I was following the coaster rumors even years ago, I was kinda expecting a somewhat standard coaster. When I actually saw the POV, I will say, as a coaster enthusiast, this thing looks awesome. It's not gonna be a huge record breaker for sure, but it definitely could win some best coaster awards; the layout, size, and pacing of this thing are looking great.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

They'd either have to take out some stuff to do that or in put a Jurassic Park Section at Epic Universe.

I imagine did the splash ride because the T-Rex Jeep Ride would have been too much like Kongfrontation/Jaws, plus that could fit in both the Hollywood park and in Orlando.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
For awhile back around 2012-2013ish I was on an Orlando theme park rumor site that had some insiders and they were talking about a Jurassic Park roller coaster way back then. Glad to finally see its coming.

I miss how into theme parks I was back then. I've drifted out of the scene after college with so much time dedicated to work and homelife now.

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
It looks really great, like Intamin's sequel to Taron. This almost makes up for losing Dueling Dragons.

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
For awhile back around 2012-2013ish I was on an Orlando theme park rumor site that had some insiders and they were talking about a Jurassic Park roller coaster way back then. Glad to finally see its coming.

I miss how into theme parks I was back then. I've drifted out of the scene after college with so much time dedicated to work and homelife now.
Yep it's been rumored for YEARS. Even the entire track was built and Universal still wouldn't announce it. I'm glad to see them finally speak about the giant coaster that is already built lol.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Universal Creative actually did make concept art for a Jurassic Park Jeep ride during the development of Islands of Adventure.

jeepmain2-1024x692.jpg

jeepsafari6.gif
jeepsafari7.gif
jeepsafari8.gif
jeepsafari9.gif

It never got off the ground, sadly. Most likely because Universal figured the attraction was too similar story wise to River Adventure, which they were bringing over to Florida from Hollywood.

They gotta have the T-Rex attack the jeep in this scenario.

0a0092680c43aabe43cacc6a9783ad6b.gif

and this

Don't think that happens in River Adventure, lol. Think to do this you'd have to have an indoor area with screen projection.

If they could deliver that it would be the no.1 attraction at the park.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Well at least it's a better name than the Flying Dinosaur I suppose, I was hoping for a different one. I'll never understand why Universal announces their stuff so late after they've been on view under construction for so long

Super excited to see the new stage show in the Main Street Theater in Magic Kingdom, experience the new Marry Poppins attraction in World Showcase, and dine at the Festival Pavilion in Future World... to name a few.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
ahh it looks great, can't wait to ride it thought it's probably going to be a while until i'm able to
but then again super nintendo world might have already opened up until then so this is just one more thing for me to get excited about

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I think I've aged out of these types coasters... Watching that video and I started to sweat a little! :)

At this point, things like The Incredible Hulk fuck me up a little bit... just get my skull rattled too much...

I'm glad they are investing in that part of the park though - it always felt like it had more potential (AND LAND) than what was really there.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I've been waiting for this, one of these fucking years I'm just going to save up $1,000 and go fucking wild in the Universal Theme parks for a few days.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm here for it

Been almost two decades since I've been to IoA. Hopefully I'll be able to get a chance to go next year after all the COVID stuff has started to calm down.