• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 1, 2018
Texas

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
expanding is a misnomer. why don't they say spreading out? when they say expanding it makes people think that the edges of the universe are expanding, rather than the stars and galaxies are spreading out into space.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
What is it expanding in? Like if i pour water into a glass, the water is expending and filling up the glass.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
A cool vid in regards to our current knowledge & theories of the life and end of the universe that I feel fits this topic

https://youtu.be/uD4izuDMUQA

I'm not sure if there are any huge issues with the vid but everything in it sounds plausible (or as plausible as our understanding of it could be currently).

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I beleive it is NDT or Lawrence Krauss that has a segment talking about how billions of years into the future we won't even be able to see the lights of other stars as everything continuously expands. Everything is distend to be dark, cold and silent.

All the while... entropy

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
this is bad right?

with entropy and all that

It just means the IF we were to become an interstellar species someday we are hard locked into Milky Way and thats about it.

Unless we find some what to make worm holes to instantly port to other galaxies the Milky Way is the only playground we are going to have.

Lets just hope the supermassive black hole at our center never peters out

Green

Oct 27, 2017
A cool vid in regards to our current knowledge & theories of the life and end of the universe that I feel fits this topic

https://youtu.be/uD4izuDMUQA

I'm not sure if there are any huge issues with the vid but everything in it sounds plausible (or as plausible as our understanding of it could be currently).

Was going to post this exact video. Pretty great watch. Amazing how far the symphony of science channel has come in the past few years, also. Melodysheep is genius.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So time and space existed before our universe?
No. Not in our universe at least. Think of it like blowing a gum bubble. Time and space (as we know them) only exist inside that bubble, and the rate that the bubble is growing is faster than we'd ever be able to catch up to, even at the speed of light.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Are we being pushed apart by momentum from the big bang or Dark Matter expanding?

Could that same dark matter also contract at some point bringing us all closer together again? Like a balloon inflating and deflating infinitely over aeons (ok am i describing infinity theory here or not I cant remember)

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it, no. Both were created by the universe. The universe is space and time. As the universe expands, so does space and time.
Maybe I am not thinking this out. So there is nothing, but as the universe goes it creates somthing. Like if i leave the boundary of the universe I would cease to exist because there are no rules there that says I can exist?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are we being pushed apart by momentum from the big bang or Dark Matter expanding?

Could that same dark matter also contract at some point bringing us all closer together again? Like a balloon inflating and deflating infinitely over aeons (ok am i describing infinity theory here or not I cant remember)

i think that theory is called "breathing universe"

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is it expanding in? Like if i pour water into a glass, the water is expending and filling up the glass.
Space is expanding into more space. The gravitational attraction of galaxies mean that it is only observable in the relative movement of galaxies in comparison to our own.

The water in your example is not expanding. More water is being added. The water would be expanding if it were heated up. However neither that nor any other expansion you would observe in everyday life is analogous to the expansion of the universe. The wikipedia page on the expansion of the universe might help but if you want a proper explanation you have to learn General Relativity (and the mathematics underpinning it).

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_pf0lt1GJ771wfiia8o3_r3_500.gif

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
The water is not expanding in the glass... You're simply adding more molecules of water into the glass. Same principle as if you were adding sand instead of water.

This is different, because it isn't only a question of adding more matter in the universe... But I'm not that knowledgeable in the topic, and so I will leave it there.

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
It's not expanding into anything, there is no "outside" the universe. The expansion means that the space between particles in the universe is increasing. It can't be compared to a balloon blowing up where the expansion of the balloon displaces the air outside because unlike the balloon there isn't an edge where the universe stops and another medium begins.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like that one

Having the Universe infinitely cycle itself in and out helps me reconscile the crazyness of it all

it actually triggers me even more.

because if it is a cycle... it duplicates itself or it is all brand new again? @_@ how many times have we had this conversation.

like 4000000 millions years ago

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
It's not expanding into anything, there is no "outside" the universe. The expansion means that the space between particles in the universe is increasing. It can't be compared to a balloon blowing up where the expansion of the balloon displaces the air outside because unlike the balloon there isn't an edge where the universe stops and another medium begins.
very eloquent explanations. This is how I understand it too.