• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
One of the great mysteries of modern physics is why antimatter did not destroy the universe at the beginning of time.

To explain it, physicists suppose there must be some difference between matter and antimatter – apart from electric charge. Whatever that difference is, it's not in their magnetism, it seems.

Physicists at CERN in Switzerland have made the most precise measurement ever of the magnetic moment of an anti-proton – a number that measures how a particle reacts to magnetic force – and found it to be exactly the same as that of the proton but with opposite sign. The work is described in Nature.

"All of our observations find a complete symmetry between matter and antimatter, which is why the universe should not actually exist," says Christian Smorra, a physicist at CERN's Baryon–Antibaryon Symmetry Experiment (BASE) collaboration. "An asymmetry must exist here somewhere but we simply do not understand where the difference is."

Antimatter is notoriously unstable – any contact with regular matter and it annihilates in a burst of pure energy that is the most efficient reaction known to physics. That's why it was chosen as the fuel to power the starship Enterprise in Star Trek.

The standard model predicts the Big Bang should have produced equal amounts of matter and antimatter – but that's a combustive mixture that would have annihilated itself, leaving nothing behind to make galaxies or planets or people.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/universe-shouldn-t-exist-cern-physicists-conclude

This stuff is fascinating to me. I think one of the reasons I wanna to live for a long time is to see what we find out regarding out the secrets of the universe and if we ever do.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Universe: Oh no! They are on to me!
3a0.gif

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Michio Kaku was on CBS the other day and did a hand-waving explanation of this, saying that there must simply be more matter than anti-matter. I was less than enthused with his answer. I think we'll discover some pretty profound differences between them, should we finally make some antimatter breakthroughs.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I wonder how different the universe would look had no anti matter been produced in the first place? like would a much larger percentage of the universe consist of matter? I wish I understood this stuff at any level.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Michio Kaku was on CBS the other day and did a hand-waving explanation of this, saying that there must simply be more matter than anti-matter. I was less than enthused with his answer. I think we'll discover some pretty profound differences between them, should we finally make some antimatter breakthroughs.

He's a great communicator, but I haven't taken him seriously for a while now lol. Very entertaining and passionate, though.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Clearly there's an asymmetry that we haven't found yet, or I guess there could be something about the very early universe after the big bang that we do not understand.

EMBee99

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Light and dark, always struggling, blah blah blah.

With the amount of chaos occurring in the universe that we discover on a weekly basis, I consider it a miracle we are even around sometimes.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I also feel the universe shouldn't exist, but it's usually after spending too much time on Twitter.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how different the universe would look had no anti matter been produced in the first place? like would a much larger percentage of the universe consist of matter? I wish I understood this stuff at any level.

The difference between matter and antimatter at the Big Bang was estimated to be one part in a billion so without anti-matter there'd be a billion times more matter in the universe.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's a great communicator, but I haven't taken him seriously for a while now lol. Very entertaining and passionate, though.
There's really only two options though right?

1) There is an asymmetry between matter and anti-matter

2) There was more matter than anti-matter in the big bang

Optional 3) Physics didn't work properly for a bit after the big bang.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Well the universe had a good run, but it's time to pack it up and close shop. You win scientists.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well tbf, you cant discount that argument either. It's probably more complicated than that, but Michio usually knows what he's talking about.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
This is way out of my wheelhouse so someone smarter than me can let me know I'm wrong but isn't this partially explained away by cosmic inflation (which people don't like for tons of other valid reasons).

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was all told or explained it like in Tyson's latest astrophysics for everyone that for some reason it was like a million and one matter to a million anti matter. So just that one tiny extra particle in the primordial sea.

I guess they still don't know why it was this way though.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

That's all he ever does. I know he did good research at one point and is a smart dude, but I loathe him as a spokesperson for physics. He says so many things that are untrue.

Nuclear Pasta

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is way out of my wheelhouse so someone smarter than me can let me know I'm wrong but isn't this partially explained away by cosmic inflation (which people don't like for tons of other valid reasons).
Inflation happens before baryons, and I can't recall having heard that baryon asymmetry is one of the motivations for inflation, but it could be that as we learn more about inflation, it can be used to set constraints on it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YOU shouldn't exist. Now stop being rude to us, will ya?

Jokes aside, this is intriguing. I've got a feeling this will be spun by many to prove that a divine force created us actually. Sigh.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Forgive my ignorance if this is totally wrong, but isn't this how we ended up with the Theory of Relativity? Our current understanding created paradoxes, so Einstein created a model that accounted for the contradictions?