• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
https://www.insidehighered.com/news...maryland-criticized-white-support-group-flier

WhiteAwake.JPG

The counseling center at University of Maryland, College Park sponsors a group called "White Awake" -- it's a weekly meet-up for white students who want to better understand race and ask questions to be better "allies" for minorities.

But a flier advertising the group is earning criticism for being tone-deaf and vague. "Do you sometimes feel uncomfortable and confused before, during or after interactions with racial and ethnic minorities?" the flier asks.

The counseling center has decided to discontinue the ad -- though it is not shutting down the group.

"We agree with the feedback that the flier was not clear enough in conveying the fact that the purpose of this group is to promote anti-racism and becoming a better ally," the counseling center said in a statement to Inside Higher Ed."We didn't choose the right words for the flier, and we are going to incorporate the feedback we have received into a revision of it."

It's unclear how long the group has been around or how it began -- a university spokeswoman attempted to arrange an interview with counseling center officials but was not immediately successful. The flier said the group offers a "safe space for White students to explore their experiences, questions, reactions, and feelings."

Shared by Leona Lewis

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think the idea is fine, but yet again its tone deaf in execution, but I think this is something that is probably needed more often.

I would like less of a burden of always having to teach certain white people about race all the time. So I mean I get it.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
After reading the description of what this is supposed to be, and I might be a little naive here, I feel like the people involved may have their heart in the right place. But not having minorities included in the discussion defeats the entire purpose of this.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
After reading the description of what this is supposed to be, I feel like the people involved may have their heart in the right place. But not having minorities included in the discussion defeats the entire purpose of this.

I dont know, maybe they do both? I can honestly tell you its exhausting as hell to have to explain simple things about race to racially tone deaf white people. Unless they have special speakers in there etc?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
The idea and potential intention is fine, but it starts falling apart because it's a white's-only club.

The entire reason minorities get their own spaces is because they face conflict in regards to a white's-only club.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
If they can bridge a gap and reach white people with their white fragility then I think that's a positive.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a white person i am so so sorry for these fucking idiots, those snowflakes yo. I hate my race so much

I would be worried about this group trying to get people of colour killed or something by calling campus security for no reason

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
White people reeducation and outreach?

Yeesh I suppose its a mostly positive iniative if it actually achieves its stated goals but man...

hard not to look at this as "putting on the kid gloves for white people"

If you really are such an ignorant ass coming into University that you need this.... sigh... more power too you for seeking help i guess

Daygon

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
White Powwww….a...hhhh?

Seriously, this is a weird thing to introduce.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Am I really supposed to be mad at this?

The execution might be a little awkward but the advertisement is clearly about trying to get white people to be better allies. It's not "come to our group and we'll let you use the N-word whenever you want!"

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
Well I was prepared to be angry, but it's not what I thought it was.

I still feel like it'll go badly though...

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
The idea and potential intention is fine, but it starts falling apart because it's a white's-only club.

The entire reason minorities get their own spaces is because they face conflict in regards to a white's-only club.
Is it a white only club or a club aimed at whites (but not excluding others) about how to become better allies?

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017

The execution might be a little awkward but the advertisement is clearly about trying to get white people to be better allies. It's not "come to our group and we'll let you use the N-word whenever you want!"

People just read the title.

It's poorly done but it sounds like their heart is in the right place.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
From the thread title and the "safe space" usage in the blue part of the flyer I was very judgmental before I read the whole thing, but actually the yellow part is not bad IMO. And I see what they were going for ("improve your ability to relate and connect with people different than yourself"). Empathy is a quality we should be wanting more of and it seems that was their goal.

"We agree with the feedback that the flier was not clear enough in conveying the fact that the purpose of this group is to promote anti-racism and becoming a better ally," the counseling center said in a statement to Inside Higher Ed."We didn't choose the right words for the flier, and we are going to incorporate the feedback we have received into a revision of it."

Just don't say "safe space for white students" :P

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah people should read the description

This feels like an attempt to re educate casual racists for conversion purposes

Uhhh... it feels naive but hey... maybe confused knuckle heads can be successfully converted? I remain skeptical

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a safe space to be white like that title indicates (and the poorly worded flyers), this is a safe space to understand the minority perspective for white people. So white people can ask their super dumb questions and not feel as embarrassed about them. It seems like a good idea as long as the people are genuine. The wording on the flyer is all kinds of terrible, but they've acknowledged that.

But let's see how this goes before some people with bad intentions fuck this up. Probably not long.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The fucking ad hahaha. "How to fit in a diverse world" screams of white panic. Looks like the creators of this also need racial sensitivity training.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is how I feel. We need more White people to be educated on these issues, but a lot of White people are understandably scared away from scenarios where they could learn. This could act as a good starting point. The only problem is eventually you have to include POC into the mix so they can practice what's been preached.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people need support groups to interact with people of colour or a different back ground.....holy.....fuckn......shit

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
This should have been framed as an entirely different thing.

A better idea would have been a seminar hosted by PoC/non-whites that's helpful in explaining the issues minorities face and how white people can be better at listening to/dealing with those issues.

Calling it a safe-space and not actually involving minorities defeats the purpose.

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
If we take the stated intention at face value, isn't it a good thing to encourage white people to talk about issues of race and privilege? I understand how the optics around the flyer can lead to knee jerk reactions about white fragility, but encouraging discussions about race is always welcome in my opinion.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if you're confused about math you go to a math aid help center, not the I'm confused about math too club

Oct 25, 2017
Are people even reading beyond the title? I mean, I also came in here to laugh, but it seems a decent idea. Not sure if it'll actually work, but the intentions seem good.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"do you sometimes feel uncomfortable and confused before, during or after interactions with racial and ethnic minorities"

oh boi

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
"Welcome! Here you get to say the N-Word and share as many black people as monkeys image macros as you like. We also fully encourage squinting your eyes and laughing with your friends as you speak faux Chinese."

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand it seems like it was created in good intentions. One the other I think they could have gone with a better stock image than white puffy clouds.