• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So after years of displaying troublesome views on race, I think I am finally able to flip an in law of mine. What media or speakers would you all suggest as a starting point for a very fragile White person?

I am thinking to point them to Tim Wise and The New Jim Crow.

What's the reason that you think they might change? That might determine the best angle.

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
So after years of displaying troublesome views on race, I think I am finally able to flip an in law of mine. What media or speakers would you all suggest as a starting point for a very fragile White person?

I am thinking to point them to Tim Wise and The New Jim Crow.
I think Netflix has a few good opinions too, like 13th, LA 92 and so on.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After reading the description of what this is supposed to be, and I might be a little naive here, I feel like the people involved may have their heart in the right place. But not having minorities included in the discussion defeats the entire purpose of this.

But this way we can find out what the ethnics are like BEFORE they try to defend themselves with their barbaric moon- language.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the reason that you think they might change? That might determine the best angle.
She has been a stubborn, defensive, fragile, manipulative, police apologizing gaslighter for decades whose always considered her and her circle good Liberals. We see each other on average for a week a year. The only Black people she knows are her biracial friend, who is treated relatively well and did not know her Black family, and the friend's deadbeat alcoholic husband who she avoids for toxic reasons.

She finally realizes she is harmfully ignorant, knows nothing about race, and should fall back and listen to Black people and other minority groups. We just had discussion over a racially insensitive post she made on FB, I picked her brain about it and she didn't use her usual defense mechanisms and actually listened. She asked for resources to consume on her own bc she doesn't substantively know any other minorities.
I think Netflix has a few good opinions too, like 13th, LA 92 and so on.
Thanks. I'm going to also suggest OJ Made in America down the line. I think it does a good job of explaining some racial dynamics in LA and America.

Last edited: