1. Nassudan

Nassudan

I'll give it a 12.

I give it a week, at most.

2. Kurdel

Kurdel

Yeah, we always say it’s not the job of the oppressed to teach us what is right, this can be a great idea!

3. The Kree

The Kree

This likely isn't going to go the way they probably want it to.

4. GeoGonzo

GeoGonzo

Meh, I can’t really condemn this since I don’t know enough about racism... but it seems far-fetched, doesnt it? This would be for people who check all of these boxes:
    -They are unconfortable around minorities.
    -They are aware of it, and want to fix it.
    -They’d rather not be around minorities while fixing it.

I mean... err... okay. It isn’t impossible, but it is weird.

5. Eat My Jorts

Eat My Jorts

6. Powdered Egg

Powdered Egg

LMAO!!

How about a Feminist Club for Fratboys only while we're at it?

7. Spectone

Spectone

Why does it have to be a safe space? Why can't you just run a normal workshop?

8. DrROBschiz

DrROBschiz

Its true though

White people apparently are struggling hard to adapt to diversifying communities....which is mind boggling i know

Culture SHOCK! How do I adapt!?

The obvious answer to me was to always treat people the way I wanted to be treated.... just like I did before but ya know

9. Kewlmyc

Kewlmyc

I get the idea behind it and support it to some degree, but holy crap, please pick better wording.

10. Or they're speaking to their audience in terms they'll understand? At face value, they've at least got the right intentions though it remains to be seen if this is the right cause of action. I guess it's supposed to be a mirror to similar groups that represent minorities. If those work well, maybe this could too?

I just hope this isn't or doesn't become a new-age white power group. That seems like a very serious danger.

11. Thatonedice1

Thatonedice1

I give it 1 meeting before everyone there is convinced black people are to blame for their own problems.

12. Trojita

Trojita

There's too many whistles in the flyer to not disregard the possibility that this group was created for ulterior purposes opposite to what they say the group was meant for.

The counseling center said this

There is a possibility that they are really naive and do have good intentions, but whoever came up with the flyer maybe isn't suited to lead the meeting group.

13. Landy828

Landy828

They really blew it on the wording, but it sounds like at least they're trying...haha.

14. DrROBschiz

DrROBschiz

I mean

Maybe the messaging was designed to get these types of people to actually show up and be reached

Are closet racists going to show up to a diversity seminar willingly?

I dunno man this whole things is bizarre. Its well intentioned but damn

15. The intention may be good but this is one of those things you think about a couple of times before posting and decide, "Nah." I mean, if you're not an idiot.

16. Mr. Giggles

Mr. Giggles

Good idea.

Needs work on that messaging tho.

17. Zelenogorsk

Zelenogorsk

Is it really that hard to just not be racist? Do people need a seminar for that?

18. Frump

Frump

Of course they're not.

19. Dali

Dali

I dont think it's such a bad idea. Inevitably, or maybe I should say hopefully, some black people show up so it doesn't turn into a klan meeting.

20. Powdered Egg

Powdered Egg

The only way I'll approve of this is if Tim Wise is running the workshop and he has Lucille leaning against his desk.

21. ArmsofSleep

ArmsofSleep

Don't they already have fraternities for that

22. If that's an environment you grew up in, yes.
    I don't see what's hard to understand. Some people really do need the education. This much should be obvious at this point.

23. Watchtower

Watchtower

Reading the ad, it actually seems to have good intentions, and in an ideal scenario I'd support it.

But we're not, and execution is going to go one of two ways: white boys whinging about minorities, or white boys whinging that they can't whinge about minorities. Latter might at least be entertaining, but neither's gonna be productive.

24. I’m uncomfortabe with black people so I’m gonna talk about them with some white people.

25. DrROBschiz

DrROBschiz

I mean....

yeah probably

We are currently living in an incredibly embarassing reality right now. Clearly we cant trust that people have the common sense and decency to do the basic and correct things

26. Heromanz

Heromanz

The whole state is a safe place for white people

27. acheron_xl

acheron_xl

28. Lead

Lead

Uh...

29. Jashobeam

Jashobeam

only thing missing is a KKK logo

30. Kyra

Kyra
    The Eggplant Queen Member

Hey, maybe this is dumb.

31. BlackGoku03

BlackGoku03

Maybe they should have addressed that on the flyer too.

It seems well intentioned. But you have to be very clear about who this is for and why.

32. Kuro

Kuro

I feel like the problem with this whole thing is that it's a place where white people who apparently have an irrational fear of people that look different than they do can go and talk to other white people on how to be less racist when they should just be talking and interacting with minorities instead. I don't know all the details about the group so I could be wrong and maybe it will entail talking to minorities.

33. Jasnah

Jasnah

They could've added something along the lines of "We would like to do better." or something to at least address those they're still alienating in the flyer even with their good intentions. Open it up to anyone while keeping their idea in tact.

34. Parthenios

Parthenios

I guess I get the idea in theory? Like, people who aren't racist by intent of their actions and want to become more race sensitive but are afraid they may say something offensive out of ignorance so this is like sensitivity training wheels?

But there's no way this isn't going to go the way they think because bad actors are going to muck it up.

35. Sounds perfect to me. We need white people to speak up to other white people about racism cause CLEARLY a lot of white folk don't wanna listen to us.

36. Kill3r7

Kill3r7

So basically a frat without dues.

37. Nepenthe

Nepenthe
    When the music hits, you feel no pain. Moderator

If your entire cultural reality hinges on a 400-year delusion that you are biologically and morally superior to others based on nothing but skin color, even if you don't consciously agree with that sentiment, and you haven't had enough counteractive socialization to inherently understand that's not true, then yes, you're going to need actual training tools to break from that.

It's annoying af, but what can you do?

38. jkm23

jkm23

Good idea, shouldn't have called it "white awake" bc anytime I hear "awake" and "white" in the same sentence my mind goes to stormfront and david duke places.

39. Mahonay

Mahonay

Can’t have these white folks actually having to face minorities and talk to them directly. We must shelter these already sheltered people.

40. fuck this .

100% made by racist students for closest racists.

41. mrchad

mrchad

This is not about not being racist. It's about dealing with racial injustice and being an "ally."

As a white person, I read about white privilege and racial injustice and I try to understand the perspectives and experiences of people of color. But I'll admit that I don't talk much about race with my white friends. And I also don't always confront scenarios when I see white privilege unchecked. And when an older relative or inlaw makes a joke or comment that's racist, it's often easier to awkwardly change topics than to address it head-on. I'm trying to get better about that, but I can see how a group such as this could help foster discussion around these topics.

42. JDSpades

JDSpades

It’s ultimately up to white communities to fix the problems with racism found in those communities. The burden should not be placed on minority groups. At the same time, the best way to fix those problems involves listening to the people affected the most by them.

43. ZOONAMI

ZOONAMI

Come fellow white supremacists, let's talk about our feelings of hatred.

44. Trojita

Trojita

I'm pretty sure it was called that because it sounds like "Wide Awake" when pronounced. Also going with the whole "woke" meme....

45. The flyer sucks, but the idea could be useful.

White people do need to reflect on race, especially if they are finally out of their hometown bubble.

The guy running it seems to be qualified and I would hope they would bring in some minority voices to share their experiences with the group.

46. Mr. X

Mr. X

Can we get 'teach white people' workshops in areas they're gentrifying?

47. Barrel Cannon

Barrel Cannon

Plot twist: it's hosted by people of color and the students no longer feel safe. The goal is good but the whole execution is all sorts of wrong.

48. Volimar

Volimar

If it helps people learn to get away from their preconceptions I'm for it. College is the first time that a lot of people will interact with other races on the regular so teaching people that might come from less than ideal backgrounds regarding race might make sense. It's worth a shot.

49. jkm23

jkm23

God I hate that meme, "Woke". We're all "woke" bc none of us are sleeping while reading or doing shit during the day. Ugh.

White people talking to other white people about race and racism is good, I'm in support.