• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about how these meetings go without any minorities to impart first-hand accounts and knowledge. Do they actually have qualified white anti-racist speakers or something?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Am I really supposed to be mad at this?

The execution might be a little awkward but the advertisement is clearly about trying to get white people to be better allies. It's not "come to our group and we'll let you use the N-word whenever you want!"

Yeah, we always say it's not the job of the oppressed to teach us what is right, this can be a great idea!

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Meh, I can't really condemn this since I don't know enough about racism... but it seems far-fetched, doesnt it? This would be for people who check all of these boxes:
-They are unconfortable around minorities.
-They are aware of it, and want to fix it.
-They'd rather not be around minorities while fixing it.

I mean... err... okay. It isn't impossible, but it is weird.

Eat My Jorts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
wpc818849a_05_06.jpg

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
"do you sometimes feel uncomfortable and confused before, during or after interactions with racial and ethnic minorities"

oh boi

Its true though

White people apparently are struggling hard to adapt to diversifying communities....which is mind boggling i know

Culture SHOCK! How do I adapt!?

The obvious answer to me was to always treat people the way I wanted to be treated.... just like I did before but ya know

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get the idea behind it and support it to some degree, but holy crap, please pick better wording.

Oct 28, 2017
The fucking ad hahaha. "How to fit in a diverse world" screams of white panic. Looks like the creators of this also need racial sensitivity training.

Or they're speaking to their audience in terms they'll understand? At face value, they've at least got the right intentions though it remains to be seen if this is the right cause of action. I guess it's supposed to be a mirror to similar groups that represent minorities. If those work well, maybe this could too?

I just hope this isn't or doesn't become a new-age white power group. That seems like a very serious danger.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
There's too many whistles in the flyer to not disregard the possibility that this group was created for ulterior purposes opposite to what they say the group was meant for.

The counseling center said this

"We agree with the feedback that the flier was not clear enough in conveying the fact that the purpose of this group is to promote anti-racism and becoming a better ally," the counseling center said in a statement to Inside Higher Ed. "We didn't choose the right words for the flier, and we are going to incorporate the feedback we have received into a revision of it."

There is a possibility that they are really naive and do have good intentions, but whoever came up with the flyer maybe isn't suited to lead the meeting group.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The fucking ad hahaha. "How to fit in a diverse world" screams of white panic. Looks like the creators of this also need racial sensitivity training.

I mean

Maybe the messaging was designed to get these types of people to actually show up and be reached

Are closet racists going to show up to a diversity seminar willingly?

I dunno man this whole things is bizarre. Its well intentioned but damn

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
The intention may be good but this is one of those things you think about a couple of times before posting and decide, "Nah." I mean, if you're not an idiot.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think it's such a bad idea. Inevitably, or maybe I should say hopefully, some black people show up so it doesn't turn into a klan meeting.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only way I'll approve of this is if Tim Wise is running the workshop and he has Lucille leaning against his desk.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Reading the ad, it actually seems to have good intentions, and in an ideal scenario I'd support it.

But we're not, and execution is going to go one of two ways: white boys whinging about minorities, or white boys whinging that they can't whinge about minorities. Latter might at least be entertaining, but neither's gonna be productive.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about how these meetings go without any minorities to impart first-hand accounts and knowledge. Do they actually have qualified white anti-racist speakers or something?
Maybe they should have addressed that on the flyer too.

It seems well intentioned. But you have to be very clear about who this is for and why.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the problem with this whole thing is that it's a place where white people who apparently have an irrational fear of people that look different than they do can go and talk to other white people on how to be less racist when they should just be talking and interacting with minorities instead. I don't know all the details about the group so I could be wrong and maybe it will entail talking to minorities.

Deleted member 14900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They could've added something along the lines of "We would like to do better." or something to at least address those they're still alienating in the flyer even with their good intentions. Open it up to anyone while keeping their idea in tact.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I guess I get the idea in theory? Like, people who aren't racist by intent of their actions and want to become more race sensitive but are afraid they may say something offensive out of ignorance so this is like sensitivity training wheels?

But there's no way this isn't going to go the way they think because bad actors are going to muck it up.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really that hard to just not be racist? Do people need a seminar for that?
If your entire cultural reality hinges on a 400-year delusion that you are biologically and morally superior to others based on nothing but skin color, even if you don't consciously agree with that sentiment, and you haven't had enough counteractive socialization to inherently understand that's not true, then yes, you're going to need actual training tools to break from that.

It's annoying af, but what can you do?

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think the idea is fine, but yet again its tone deaf in execution, but I think this is something that is probably needed more often.

I would like less of a burden of always having to teach certain white people about race all the time. So I mean I get it.

Good idea, shouldn't have called it "white awake" bc anytime I hear "awake" and "white" in the same sentence my mind goes to stormfront and david duke places.

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really that hard to just not be racist? Do people need a seminar for that?

This is not about not being racist. It's about dealing with racial injustice and being an "ally."

As a white person, I read about white privilege and racial injustice and I try to understand the perspectives and experiences of people of color. But I'll admit that I don't talk much about race with my white friends. And I also don't always confront scenarios when I see white privilege unchecked. And when an older relative or inlaw makes a joke or comment that's racist, it's often easier to awkwardly change topics than to address it head-on. I'm trying to get better about that, but I can see how a group such as this could help foster discussion around these topics.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's ultimately up to white communities to fix the problems with racism found in those communities. The burden should not be placed on minority groups. At the same time, the best way to fix those problems involves listening to the people affected the most by them.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Good idea, shouldn't have called it "white awake" bc anytime I hear "awake" and "white" in the same sentence my mind goes to stormfront and david duke places.
I'm pretty sure it was called that because it sounds like "Wide Awake" when pronounced. Also going with the whole "woke" meme....

Oct 25, 2017
The flyer sucks, but the idea could be useful.

White people do need to reflect on race, especially if they are finally out of their hometown bubble.

The guy running it seems to be qualified and I would hope they would bring in some minority voices to share their experiences with the group.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Plot twist: it's hosted by people of color and the students no longer feel safe. The goal is good but the whole execution is all sorts of wrong.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If it helps people learn to get away from their preconceptions I'm for it. College is the first time that a lot of people will interact with other races on the regular so teaching people that might come from less than ideal backgrounds regarding race might make sense. It's worth a shot.