• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite developer Epic Games said in a statement that it will not ban players or content creators for political speech. The message comes after Blizzard caught fire this week for banning a professional Hearthstone player for shouting a statement associated with Hong Kong protesters.

"Epic supports everyone's right to express their views on politics and human rights. We wouldn't ban or punish a Fortnite player or content creator for speaking on these topics," an Epic Games spokesperson told The Verge.

Over the weekend, Blizzard banned Hearthstone player Ng "Blitzchung" Wai Chung from participating in tournaments after he voiced support for the protesters in Hong Kong. In a post-game interview on Sunday, Blitzchung said, "Liberate Hong Kong. Revolution of our age!" Now, he cannot participate in any tournaments for an entire year (effective October 5th), and Blizzard is withholding any prize money he would have received in the Grandmasters tournament over the weekend. Those forfeited winnings have been reported to total around $10,000.
More at https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/9/...ong-kong-china-epic-games-fortnite-blitzchung

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Please don't notice that Tencent is directly involved with the genocide of the Uyghurs. Thank you."

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see about that, a 5% stake made Blizzard quiver like a craven coward. What does a 40% stake do?

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
I'll believe it if it actually happens. Surely the chinese government won't be happy if someone like Tfue openly supports free Hong Kong in a post game interview.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I'd very much like this to be true. I imagine it's only a matter of time before we find out.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure of the numbers, but the only way this is true is if Epic has much less income coming from China. My understanding is Blizzard rakes in a ton (seems clear given their moves here), but is that true of Epic? If not, nothing to lose. They'd probably be more than happy to buy Tencent out at this point should Tencent desire.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
sure, Epic, we'll see how that plays out

rFIuf0q.png

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
Why do they have to make a statement about this? Should be common sense.

Also from a studio almost half-funded by a Chinese company, I don't believe it.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
And 'lucky' for Epic, they don't have any sort of forums, review system or workshop for people to openly post onto.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there was a china-related dota 2 ban last season but that was because the player said some racist shit so it was warranted. i'm curious what valve would do if china tries to strongarm a dota pro over something political like this.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a source for that?

www.wired.com

Inside China's Massive Surveillance Operation

In Xinjiang, northwest China, the government is cracking down on the minority Muslim Uyghur population, keeping them under constant surveillance and throwing more than a million people into concentration camps. But in Istanbul, 3,000 miles away, a community of women who have escaped a life of...

Tencent created and maintains WeChat, among other technologies, specifically for the CCP to monitor and track civilians with a specific emphasis on the Uyghurs.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic really leaves no stone unturned when it comes to capitalizing on headlines for their own gain.

But as usual, I don't believe a fucking word of it.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea right they're just trying to cash in on their perceived wokeness.

But I look forward to when they actually need to put their money where their mouths are.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It's not an issue for them yet, but if the situation ever comes up then they'll fold just like every other Chinese-owned cowards out there.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
Is the standard procedure at Epic to just claim they are on the right side of whatever the current gamer outrage is? I hope they can back it up, and coming out in support is obviously better than staying silent or being against this, but I doubt it's actually something they won't be forced to walk back at some point soon.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, Tencent bought 80% in May this year of the developer from Path of Exile (Grinding Gear Games) and it was added that talking politics in the game is a bannable offensive from now on.

Good on Epic for releasing a statement that political speech will remain allowed. Would be even better if they will follow through.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah right. They might not put themselves in the sights of the Chinese Goverment so action couldn't be taken like a Blizzard situation but if they were, they would fold 100%.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Hope it's true. Hopefully some big player(s) prove it true during some big official tournament.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard didn't do what they did because they are partially owned by tencent. That's ridiculous.

They did it to maintain access to the Chinese market through licensing to tencent.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno how true it is but I do like seeing other gaming companies trying to distance themselves from what Blizzard did.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
And what action do you take to prove your words? Like donate to the course of Hong Kong's protests? Anything?

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Epic is 40% owned by Tencent, Activision Blizzard is about 5%. If 5% can get you something like the current situation, imagine what 40% can do.