• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I don't need to unlock everything. I mean, it'd be nice in a $60 game to not be treated like I'm playing a Korean grindfest mobile game. I want to be competitive at the classes I play, which would still cost hundreds of dollars or hundreds of hours.

You are acting like you need that 5-10% stats increase which comes from 3-4 lvl star cards to be "competitive". Your aim is going to hold you back and most of your deaths are going to be to backstabs/heroes/tanks/grenade spam and the overall chaos on the map. The game is designed to be a meat-grinder and unless you are one of those noobs who has a mental block and waste 200 hours in MMORPG games maxing out rings and boots stats before actually playing a dungeon, just play the game.

And if you want to slay as much people as possible, just read which hero is the most overpowered in your favorite mode and just go for that. The hero balance right now is the main problem compared to the Star Card advantages. This is why there are videos of heroes getting 50+ killstreaks which happened in Battlefront 1 too: they are overpowered instead of the +15% star card stat increase. Be sure as hell that the nerf-hammer is going to come down on OP items in the future, so banking on Boba Fett might backfire.

Yes the game offers a paid progression advantage, but stop over-reacting thinking that it is going to translate to anything important or game breaking. This isn't your korean MMO with endless stats which go far beyond hundreds of percent disparities.

Oct 28, 2017
You are acting like you need that 5-10% stats increase which comes from 3-4 lvl star cards to be "competitive". Your aim is going to hold you back and most of your deaths are going to be to backstabs/heroes/tanks/grenade spam and the overall chaos on the map. The game is designed to be a meat-grinder and unless you are one of those noobs who has a mental block and waste 200 hours in MMORPG games maxing out rings and boots stats before actually playing a dungeon, just play the game.

And if you want to slay as much people as possible, just read which hero is the most overpowered in your favorite mode and just go for that. The hero balance right now is the main problem compared to the Star Card advantages. This is why there are videos of heroes getting 50+ killstreaks which happened in Battlefront 1 too: they are overpowered instead of the +15% star card stat increase. Be sure as hell that the nerf-hammer is going to come down on OP items in the future, so banking on Boba Fett might backfire.

Yes the game offers a paid progression advantage, but stop over-reacting thinking that it is going to translate to anything important or game breaking. This isn't your korean MMO with endless stats which go far beyond hundreds of percent disparities.

This is all anecdotal but we're talking about regen rates and dog fighting lock on times for your ship's missiles in competitive multiplayer. Those percentages may not sound like much but I've seen comparable percentage buffs like that in competitive settings and it changed my playstyle and it certainly made me a more efficient player. It might not be enough to completely ruin on foot gameplay but space battles are beyond repair due to the star card system. You're right, the game has bigger problems than the star card balance... But the star cards are what are keeping me from spending a dime on this. The surface elements aren't enough to justify spending $60, having a sub-optimal competitive experience because I'm unwilling to pay or grind obscene amounts on top of that purchase when there's plenty of other meat-grinder first person shooters out there, including other Star Wars games that are doing pretty well on PC.

"When you're using a level 14 interceptor and a tier 3 card and it takes 150% more time to lock onto you, that's an absolute game changer"
https://youtu.be/1GynsazTkww

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is all anecdotal but we're talking about regen rates and dog fighting lock on times for your ship's missiles in competitive multiplayer. Those percentages may not sound like much but I've seen comparable percentage buffs like that in competitive settings and it changed my playstyle and it certainly made me a more efficient player. It might not be enough to completely ruin on foot gameplay but space battles are beyond repair due to the star card system. You're right, the game has bigger problems than the star card balance... But the star cards are what are keeping me from spending a dime on this. The surface elements aren't enough to justify spending $60, having a sub-optimal competitive experience because I'm unwilling to pay or grind obscene amounts on top of that purchase when there's plenty of other meat-grinder first person shooters out there, including other Star Wars games that are doing pretty well on PC.

"When you're using a level 14 interceptor and a tier 3 card and it takes 150% more time to lock onto you, that's an absolute game changer"
https://youtu.be/1GynsazTkww
Someone in the "Positive reasons to play BF2" thread linked this.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
This topic is so strange. People want to be able to access every single level of every single star card in the game instead of just focusing on the cards that would best complement their preferred play style? If the loot boxes were cosmetic only, and I could earn star cards some other way, I would still not be interested in cards that didn't feature abilities/buffs that I liked so I'm not sure why people expect cosmetic loot boxes to be some sort of panacea for their completionist woes (swap one collectible for another?). This game currently gives me a direct way to get the cards I want by using crafting parts instead of hoping for some random drops to improve my characters/classes. The crafting parts drop rate is definitely a bit low right now, but the game hasn't even gone to full release yet, so I'm going to see how they make adjustments in the coming few weeks.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
It appears there's a decent payout for account leveling up so the straight math calculations on this are kind of broken. I averaged 1262.5 through 11 matches in two hours, which is about what people have observed. But I ended up with a pile of credits that didn't come from crates, the campaign, or challenges. I went back and observed my 7 to 8 level rankup and the payout was 2,000 credits. This isn't stated anywhere, so DICE/EA basically fucked themselves to some degree by not pointing out this gain when you level up.

Deleted member 33335

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I think the fact of the matter is that, if you play the game at the whims of only lootboxes without investing credits into a single class, you are left with the inability to choose your own playstyle and are forced to play classes/characters simply because you have better cards for them. The argument of "You don't need to unlock everything" doesn't fit very well with a PvP because you should have enough means at your disposal to counter a certain strategy the other team is using. Seeing how you don't have the proper cards, you're literally stuck with the hand you've been dealt with.

This entire game is built around acquiring and spending money on lootboxes, from the overpriced heroes, arcade mode point cap, low credit earn per match, and an end game reward that gives you enough points to purchase the character and not the character herself. The malignant intent and economy behind the game will never change no matter how many changes they make. This full price AAA game with mobile free-to-play and pay-to-win mechanics ruined what might have otherwise been a good game.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
So I showed this to my friend yesterday. this is his response:

Yeah I have read and heard about that, but they seem to be ignoring what EA and DICE has already said on this NEW model they are trying out.

They have already said they will be looking at the numbers needed for things and that the whole point is that you will not be unlocking everything right away. It is meant to give you something to play towards and that the classes you like best will be the ones that you get everything for first.

Also I am not sure where they are getting the game hour plays as you actually get a lot more credits per game (at least currently) then what a lot of people are realizing as there seems to be a glitch where it does not show you ALL the credits you earned playing the game as you get extra credits depending on how well you played in the round.

Didn't respond... I'm thinking that mentality is why we still have this shit.

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't respond... I'm thinking that mentality is why we still have this shit.
What mentality? The mentality that we should judge by the actual credit gain rate observed by people in game, rather than some back of the envelope calculations that don't consider everything, or tell nearly the whole story?

Yeah, what an asshole your friend is.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the unlock time that's the problem.

It's the fact you can pay cash to reduce that time - THAT is the problem.

People are getting too worked up over the wrong aspect of this controversy. Unlock grinds are a PITA, I agree, but these are inflated in order to promote spending more cash on the EA store.

If EA removed the cash store from this game, people would not be as pissed off about the unlock times, as EA would have to lower them anyway to compensate for the lack of the cash store boosts.

All EA has to do to fix this shit is 1.) Remove all EA cash-store purchase options from the game and 2.) lower the unlock time so people can PLAY the game at a more reasonable clip to unlock stuff. There should NEVER be a pay-to-unlock-faster option for ANY game you pay $60 up front for. That is where EA royally fucked themselves.

Last edited:

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Even for overwatch, which I loved, I did not buy at $60. If you're going to make the game that slow for progress with unlocks I'm buying used. It's okay they don't need your $60.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017

It's not just a 5 to 10 percent though. It's that across multiple cards. Also weapons, weapon attachments, heroes. It all adds up and in a 1v1 situation its not going to be fair in the slightest.

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I think the fact of the matter is that, if you play the game at the whims of only lootboxes without investing credits into a single class, you are left with the inability to choose your own playstyle and are forced to play classes/characters simply because you have better cards for them. The argument of "You don't need to unlock everything" doesn't fit very well with a PvP because you should have enough means at your disposal to counter a certain strategy the other team is using. Seeing how you don't have the proper cards, you're literally stuck with the hand you've been dealt with.

This entire game is built around acquiring and spending money on lootboxes, from the overpriced heroes, arcade mode point cap, low credit earn per match, and an end game reward that gives you enough points to purchase the character and not the character herself. The malignant intent and economy behind the game will never change no matter how many changes they make. This full price AAA game with mobile free-to-play and pay-to-win mechanics ruined what might have otherwise been a good game.

Well said. They're quoted, "We believe review scores for a game like Star Wars Battlefront are less important, given the strength of the Star Wars brand..."

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
What mentality? The mentality that we should judge by the actual credit gain rate observed by people in game, rather than some back of the envelope calculations that don't consider everything, or tell nearly the whole story?

Yeah, what an asshole your friend is.
Um, the mentality of accepting and paying $60 bucks for a game that subscribes to a mobile game pay structure? Pretty shitty to me. If you're okay with that, then you're part of the problem.

If it doesn't take as long to gain those items as what was reported in the OP, then that's nice, I guess? The cost for the items available is too much. This "game as a service" stuff is kind of silly when we all know they're going to have a Battlefront III in a few years.

Salmone_D_Oro

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Isn't ignoring microtransactions a start ? You can't pretend that someone shouldn't buy a game if he wants to get it so bad . I never bought them in every game .

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone stop and wonder that if it takes a huge amount of hours/money for someone to get fully OP in this game, that maybe it will be balanced because most players will not spend the $$ and/or time? Especially when it rolls out and there are going to be thousands of active players.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Saw this on Facebook and it made me laugh pretty hard.

23621338_721794648026302_3680616375912390860_n.jpg