• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weren't there people who said that people who buy lootcrates are inherently at a greater advantage than people who put in the time? If true, it seems like skill doesn't even matter which means gameplay is detrimentally affected by a P2W structure.

The people saying that could probably do those same insane killstreaks even with no starcards on, cause they do just as well with any shooter they play, loot crates or not. Levelcap and xfactor are really good players that have done similar insane killstreaks in different shooters.

I would LOVE to see someone who is new or not good at shooters spend $2100 and see his reaction when it barely makes him better.

This idea that a player can just buy his way to god mode is just ridiculous. Every single DICE game in the past 5 years has allowed you to buy shortcuts that unlock everything and it has never been a problem (and that was with shortcuts being less than $100).

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This shit is ridiculous. Iong term this can only hurt publishers.

Lets hope so

If everyone wants to chase this GaaS model then a lot of games will fail, the average whale can't sink 5,000 hours and thousands of dollars/pounds into 5 different games over the space of a year

It's like how last gen everyone tried to get in on that CoD online MP crowd and it tanked loads of studios because at the end of the day people were still playing CoD

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Capturing and maxing out every Pokemon requires 5768 hours. Why doesn't Nintendo/GameFreak respect my time??!! What a horrible shitty grind this game is."

If something sounds like a grind, just don't do it folks. I don't see the point in setting some ludicrous goal like this and then complaining about how long it might theoretically take. There's really no reason for you to collect and Max Out every Star Card in the game.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Or, you know, trading card games. The business model that has existed for decades just fine.

Random physical card packs is coercive monetisation from the Stone Age. Game companies have so many more tools and access to personalised info, it's not even on the same planet. It is disingenuous to conflate the two.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
And people were afraid that AAA prices this gen were about to hike up to 80€ or 90€. Tell someone from the early 2000s that games in the future will have a base edition that costs 60€ while full games cost in the thousands and their mind would probably be blown. :lol

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't too bad.

If you played 16 hours a day, and got your daily 8 of sleep, you would only need to play for 9 and a half months straight to get all of it done.

Who wouldn't be able to do this?

Thargas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Capturing and maxing out every Pokemon requires 5768 hours. Why doesn't Nintendo/GameFreak respect my time??!! What a horrible shitty grind this game is."

If something sounds like a grind, just don't do it folks. I don't see the point in setting some ludicrous goal like this and then complaining about how long it might theoretically take. There's really no reason for you to collect and Max Out every Star Card in the game.
This.
Another example would be League of Legends, how long does it take to unlock every single champion?
Just because you can theoretically unlock every single thing, doesn't mean you should aim for that. These games aren't even designed around the idea of getting everything.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

the thing is, you can't buy the pokemon for real money in pokemon boxes.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Suddenly Pure Bladestone and 30 Proofs of a Concord Kept don't seem so bad.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
This is the game that keeps on giving.
You just need to quit the 3 jobs you got to buy a console and the game to get everything.

I had no intention to buy this game but I also wanted to be proven wrong because it's Star Wars.

All this really did was make me want to play the OG Battlefront 2 considering the severs are back up.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This.
Another example would be League of Legends, how long does it take to unlock every single champion?
Just because you can theoretically unlock every single thing, doesn't mean you should aim for that. These games aren't even designed around the idea of getting everything.
Pokemon is pve and cant be circumvented by money afaik and league is f2p and heroes are supposed to be sidegrades instead of the objective upgrades on display here...

All of these false equivalences are making my head hurt.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This also includes a huge chunk of star cards that are not good (or even worth ever getting to rank 3) from rank 3 to 4 (and 3 to 4 is by far where the biggest grind is for star cards).

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Random physical card packs is coercive monetisation from the Stone Age. Game companies have so many more tools and access to personalised info, it's not even on the same planet. It is disingenuous to conflate the two.
TCG are operating under the assumption that players won't collect all the cards. For decades now. Huge AAA service games with a ton of stuff to unlock have adopted that same principle. It's the same thing. If you want to collect all the stuff then so be it. But that's not the point of the game. That's what we're talking about.
the thing is, you can't buy the pokemon for real money in pokemon boxes.
So does that mean that if you had the chance to buy Pokémon you would be forced to spend thousands of dollars to try to buy all of them within loot boxes?

Oct 26, 2017
The people saying that could probably do those same insane killstreaks even with no starcards on, cause they do just as well with any shooter they play, loot crates or not. Levelcap and xfactor are really good players that have done similar insane killstreaks in different shooters.

I would LOVE to see someone who is new or not good at shooters spend $2100 and see his reaction when it barely makes him better.

This idea that a player can just buy his way to god mode is just ridiculous. Every single DICE game in the past 5 years has allowed you to buy shortcuts that unlock everything and it has never been a problem (and that was with shortcuts being less than $100).

Barely? I've heard some egregious unbalanced stuff happening like Boba Fett using flight and being much harder to kill that way. Moreover, just because you're not skilled at the game, doesn't mean you can't take advantage of some of the more broken stuff. We've seen this in multiple games from TCGs to video games where someone can play autopilot with some unbalanced bs and win even against skilled players.

Pokemon is not a good comparison as you're not forced to lootbox your way into 800+ Pokemon, and with the advent of the internet, trading has become significantly easier to enable more players to capture more Pokemon (never mind that you can't max out because you don't have the space to get every single duplicate). Not to mention, while it is a part of the game and rewards you with some neat stuff (bragging rights + shiny charm), it's not compulsory to a player's enjoyment of the game unlike Battlefront II. Whereas in that game, you're stuck with RNG lootboxes and having to waste more money/redeem duplicates to get what you want.

Deleted member 8166

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TCG are operating under the assumption that players won't collect all the cards. For decades now. Huge AAA service games with a ton of stuff to unlock have adopted that same principle. It's the same thing. If you want to collect all the stuff then so be it. But that's not the point of the game. That's what we're talking about.

So does that mean that if you had the chance to buy Pokémon you would be forced to spend thousands of dollars to try to buy all of them within loot boxes?
whut? the difference is that you can trade pokemon, raise them, there are so many ways to get them..in this game you can only get cards through loot boxes and nothing else, hell if you could just buy the cards you want i am pretty sure the outrage would not be this "big". and you can only obtain them by either spending RL money or ridiculous amounts of time.

and I don't think it would be the same amount of time if pkmn was made by EA. personally I find this comparison not fitting.

Last edited:

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I'm all for companies trying out new systems to cover the costs of expensive games without resorting to season passes, but implementing grindy and exploitative F2P mechanics in $60 games is not the solution at all. Star Wars is a massive enough franchise for there to be great demand for comsetic-only unlocks ala Overwatch so they should've just stuck to that and avoided this backlash. I really hope shit like this keeps getting negative media exposure and more importantly, more customers start voting with there wallets to discourage such shitty practices.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger

Holy false equivalent Batman. It didn't take me more than maybe 100 hours to collect them all in Pokemon X (which granted was a long time still). You can prioritize and use whatever Pokemon you want whenever you want in Pokemon. Capturing a Pikachu doesn't mean you have to grind for 20 hours to get a Lapras. More so if you are in a community (like ResetEra) where everyone has long since captured all the Pokemon and have perfect IVs on the ones worth a damn and would be happy to send you one for free if you asked.

GamerForever

Oct 27, 2017
Thats the point, they set the bar so high so you will always be chasing the next thing, spending more time and money inn the game. Monetizing is a bitch, they want every game to be a platform.

GbaDoctor

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
By the time you spent 4.528 hours (or 1600 for the most people with a busy "normal" life) there will be probably Battlefront 6 Super Turbo Hyper Drifting on Humble Bundle. Not to mention that these games loose interest after a while, fast. I mean, it's no COD or BF afterall.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Being able to unlock and get what you want is so old fashioned. Everything being rng gives you much bigger sense of progress and accomplishment when you finally get that basic ability for the class you want to play, 6 weeks in. /s

Giving them a sense of accomplishment

Lol, indeed. They are replicating the same feeling of pride and accomplishment that you get in Oblivion and Skyrim after you've finished a dungeon and killed the boss, only to find out that the reward chest has 20 gold coins, a sack of flour and a weapon that you don't use. Only this time you might also have spent money to open that chest.

That is insane. What the heck was EA thinking?

"We've got The Star Wars licence and these nerds will buy almost anything if it says Star Wars on it, let's milk them dry".

Oct 26, 2017
So basically with only 60$ you get to play forever. And people still complain about this.

Is this a joke...?

Playing forever implies servers won't shutdown before you get value out of the game (which was the whole point of the analytics in the OP), also "only $60" implies that people have the patience to waste their time grinding to get what they want, especially with microtransactions.

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
whut? the difference is that you can trade pokemon, raise them, there are so many ways to get them..in this game you can only get cards through loot boxes and nothing else, hell if you could just buy the cards you want i am pretty sure the outrage would not be this "big". and you can only obtain them by either spending RL money or ridiculous amounts of time.
Sure. Pokémon is build upon the idea of collecting everything. But even then it's a significant investment to actually do that. I'm sure lots of people would appreciate the option to buy loot boxes in that game or skip some exclusive events to get rare Pokémon. Not that Nintendo should do that, but I'm sure there's a market for it.

But again, while Pokémon is about collecting all the Pokémon, Star Wars is not about collecting all the cards. It's a goal you're not supposed to achieve. I know this goes against our gaming instincts but that's how this entire reward system is structured. We may not like it but it's highly successful and accepted by the vast majority of the people who play games.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine to not unlock everything on a game.
So it's ok to buy a game but not have access to all of it because reasons.

Fuck that noise.

This is disgusting and should be called out as such. Locking pre made cosmetics (If a company continues to make this content post release and charge for it, meh) is bad enough, but gameplay related items being locked away potentially for good for those unable to spend huge amounts of time or money is complete trash.

Deleted member 8166

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure. Pokémon is build upon the idea of collecting everything. But even then it's a significant investment to actually do that. I'm sure lots of people would appreciate the option to buy loot boxes in that game or skip some exclusive events to get rare Pokémon. Not that Nintendo should do that, but I'm sure there's a market for it.

But again, while Pokémon is about collecting all the Pokémon, Star Wars is not about collecting all the cards. It's a goal you're not supposed to achieve. I know this goes against our gaming instincts but that's how this entire reward system is structured. We may not like it but it's highly successful and accepted by the vast majority of the people who play games.
just because a vast majority accepts something...you know what I am saying? so why do you want people to just shut up and accept it? at least that's how I understand your discussion stand-point

Oct 28, 2017
It's possible someone somewhere will spend that $2100. Lol

"You need to understand the amount of money that's at play with microtransactions. I'm not allowed to say the number but I can tell you that when Mass Effect 3 multiplayer came out, those card packs we were selling, the amount of money we made just off those card packs was so significant that's the reason Dragon Age has multiplayer, that's the reason other EA products started getting multiplayer that hadn't really had them before, because we nailed it and brought in a ton of money. It's repeatable income versus one-time income.

"I've seen people literally spend $15,000 on Mass Effect multiplayer cards."

http://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-10-23-manveer-heir-bioware-mass-effect-ea-monetisation

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Barely? I've heard some egregious unbalanced stuff happening like Boba Fett using flight and being much harder to kill that way. Moreover, just because you're not skilled at the game, doesn't mean you can't take advantage of some of the more broken stuff. We've seen this in multiple games from TCGs to video games where someone can play autopilot with some unbalanced bs and win even against skilled players.

Boba Fett is already hard to hit when he's flying, just like in Battlefront 2015, and he's a hero, so you need to do well in the match fast enough to pick a hero slot in your team. Show me something other than levelcap going on a killstreak, just as he has done in every single game hes played cause hes just that good to begin with, even in his review he admits money won't make you win 1 on 1 against better players when it comes to infantry combat.

I would love to see some examples of this insane advantage money can give you, cause I've not seen it, and I am actually playing the game right now. You would think whales would jump on this shit right away and be spotted within a couple of hours just tearing shit up.

Oct 26, 2017

The problem is even if you can't collect them all, you also can't even optimize and select freely which cards you want to build around or just want in general. Either way, you're wasting a lot of time and/or money.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon is not a good comparison as you're not forced to lootbox your way into 800+ Pokemon, and with the advent of the internet, trading has become significantly easier to enable more players to capture more Pokemon (never mind that you can't max out because you don't have the space to get every single duplicate). Not to mention, while it is a part of the game and rewards you with some neat stuff (bragging rights + shiny charm), it's not compulsory to a player's enjoyment of the game unlike Battlefront II. Whereas in that game, you're stuck with RNG lootboxes and having to waste more money/redeem duplicates to get what you want.

This. A bad comparison imo.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Is this a joke...?

Playing forever implies servers won't shutdown before you get value out of the game (which was the whole point of the analytics in the OP), also "only $60" implies that people have the patience to waste their time grinding to get what they want, especially with microtransactions.

There is a difference between playing forever because the gambling progression requires it and playing forever because you like the actual gameplay.
Sorry guys, was joking...

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For comparison, unlocking everything in BF4 takes roughly 500 hours and $120. BF4 doesn't have customization.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
4,528 hours or $2100 for something that should be completely free and on the retail disc when you purchase it

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Actually, if you use everything the game offers you as help, as well as communities like Era to help you out, you will be able to max out every single Pokémon (counting duplicates as well) in around 150-200 hours.

And the best thing is: there's no money involved.

And since we're talking about Pokémon:

The trading card game is f2p, but you get the in-game currency by playing the game. You can't buy money in Pokémon trading card game online.

Gennady

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I wonder how difficult it is to cheat the system, In mass effect 3, you can create points by opening the game in cheatengine, isolating the actual number of the currency in a memory editor and change it to a more attractive value, the balance wasn't stored online and no-one at EA cares about ME3's multiplayer anymore.

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, certainly, and I have a feeling that a lot of the defense force is here because it's a Star Wars game and they want it to be good.

This is the slippery slope we've been sliding down since Horse Armor. We take for granted all the stuff we called foul on last gen as accepted and expected practice now and next gen we'll be doing the same with this shit.
Yeah it's fucking crazy how I envision the meaning of "horse armor dlc" now and it doesn't even make me blink, actually I find such a concept pretty inoffensive now but that is only because these fucking manipulators have been slowly pushing and pushing gradually worse unethically gross shit throughout the years.

It really makes you wonder what exactly they will come up with in the next 10 years to make this current garbage feel less offensive

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So basically with only 60$ you get to play forever.

30f8aba.gif

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
just because a vast majority accepts something...you know what I am saying? so why do you want people to just shut up and accept it? at least that's how I understand your discussion stand-point
Then you don't understand my standpoint at all. Saying you don't like something is fine. But these are the facts. You're not supposed to collect everything, the majority of consumers is fine with it. I'm not telling you to stop expressing your opinion. But neglecting the facts means this conversation is getting nowhere.