• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I wonder how difficult it is to cheat the system, In mass effect 3, you can create points by opening the game in cheatengine, isolating the actual number of the currency in a memory editor and change it to a more attractive value, the balance wasn't stored online and no-one at EA cares about ME3's multiplayer anymore.

Even if its wrong, I am almost waiting for someone to come up with a small crack/cheat that gives everyone unlimited points for free.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to laugh my ass off when people spend hundreds on this game and ruin the PVP fun for all the poorer people who have to work and do other life stuff.

Do they not see that coming or is that all in the calculations too?

Thargas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LEAGUE OF LEGENDS IS A FREE TO PLAY GAME

Yep

EA fucked up so badly even the shills are shook
It is completely irrelevant whether a game costs 0 or 60 dollars in this argument.

Also, I have seen you be very agressive towards anyone that doesn't agree with you in the past few days. If harrasing and calling people shills is the best you've got there really is no point in arguing here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention, while it is a part of the game and rewards you with some neat stuff (bragging rights + shiny charm), it's not compulsory to a player's enjoyment of the game unlike Battlefront II. Whereas in that game, you're stuck with RNG lootboxes and having to waste more money/redeem duplicates to get what you want.

Why is maxing out all the Star Cards somehow "compulsory" to a player's enjoyment of Battlefront 2? Why should anyone get cards for classes and characters I don't play and don't plan to play?

Holy false equivalent Batman. It didn't take me more than maybe 100 hours to collect them all in Pokemon X (which granted was a long time still). You can prioritize and use whatever Pokemon you want whenever you want in Pokemon.

If you want all of the Pokemon (Shiny included) and you want them all at max level with good-to-great IVs, it will take some insane amount of time. That game is just an example though and you could apply the same logic to any number of games that have an expansive amount of content and customizability. How long would it take to get every trinket in World of Warcraft? How long would it take to unlock every hero in League of Legends? How long does it take to get every gun in Destiny? Hundreds if not thousands of hours. But few people can genuinely say that they're completionists about games like that.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It is completely irrelevant whether a game costs 0 or 60 dollars in this argument.

The price of a game is absolutely relevant to how much content should be restricted to you and for how long.

And I'm not aggressive to people who disagree with me, im aggressive to people who are ok with intentionally making games worse just so papa EA can line its pockets

Arguing in defense of this system isn't doing what's best for the game, it isn't doing what's best for the consumer, its doing what's best for EA and only EA

Last edited:

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wonder how long it took to unlock everything in Battlefield 2? That game was very slow for unlocks.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
4,528 hours or $2,1K to unlock everything. . .
shake-head-gif-23.gif

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why is maxing out all the Star Cards somehow "compulsory" to a player's enjoyment of Battlefront 2? Why should anyone get cards for classes and characters I don't play and don't plan to play?

If you want all of the Pokemon (Shiny included) and you want them all at max level with good-to-great IVs, it will take some insane amount of time. That game is just an example though and you could apply the same logic to any number of games that have an expansive amount of content and customizability. How long would it take to get every trinket in World of Warcraft? How long would it take to unlock every hero in League of Legends? How long does it take to get every gun in Destiny? Hundreds if not thousands of hours. But few people can genuinely say that they're completionists about games like that.
How long does it take to get the best star cards for a single character?

How long does it take to breed and train a competitive Pokemon?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
All of this feels like F2P gatcha game but you have to pay $60 upfront.
If you want to go ballistic with microtransactions just make it F2P EA....oh who am I kidding this will be a million seller.

OP
OP
Aokiji

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
And anyone who doesn't spend money or treat the game like a second job is gonna have a very frustrating experience in PvP.

Sounds fun!
*THIS* is the part people don't get. The point isn't "you aren't supposed to unlock everything". It's the fact that everything even COSTS that much. Players don't play MP games for years to unlock everything, they do it cause the games are good. It's ridiculous what you have to put in to enjoy playing this game on a level playing field vs someone with all the time or all the money in the world.

Droopaloop

Oct 28, 2017
Man, this sucks as a Star Wars fan. I mean the game has single player. I'd want to buy it normally, but I'm not touching it. Like in terms of all the predatory ways to implement microtransactions, this seems to be the worst so far. At this juncture I'm somewhat surprised there isn't a season pass as well.

It's gotta feel shitty for the people actually doing the work on this came pouring time and effort into making sure everything looks proper to the movies that all their hard work is getting tarnished by share holders. Money talks I guess.

Deleted member 21693

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All of this feels like F2P gatcha game but you have to pay $60 upfront.
If you want to go ballistic with microtransactions just make it F2P EA....oh who am I kidding this will be a million seller.
I wonder if that's where all of this is headed towards. But publishers will ask for that initial price for as long as they can.

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This.
Another example would be League of Legends, how long does it take to unlock every single champion?
Just because you can theoretically unlock every single thing, doesn't mean you should aim for that. These games aren't even designed around the idea of getting everything.
Can I take a guess and say it doesn't take much longer than maxing out a star card?

(In a free to play game where you literally can play all you want without spending a dime)

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
You know the dlc will add more shit cards as well. I was looking forward to this game at one point, but the micro transactions completely kill it.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's fucking crazy how I envision the meaning of "horse armor dlc" now and it doesn't even make me blink, actually I find such a concept pretty inoffensive now but that is only because these fucking manipulators have been slowly pushing and pushing gradually worse unethically gross shit throughout the years.

It really makes you wonder what exactly they will come up with in the next 10 years to make this current garbage feel less offensive

Last gen people bitched about Street Fighter IV selling 4 costumes for $5 and now they are $4 for 1 costume in SFV.

Season passes started with Call of Duty and Battlefield and both outlined the DLC roadmap. Now they are in every game and you don't even know what the fuck they will include.

First we had loot boxes in F2P games.

Then we had loot boxes in paid games but they were limited to cosmetics

Then we had lootboxes in paid single player games and they included gameplay effecting content (Shadow of War) (and are in addition to fucking season passes)

Now we have lootboxes in paid MP games with gameplay effecting content

Even if you don't buy the boxes the game is balanced to make you frustrated and envious at other players, to make you want to spend money to speed up the grind. It makes the game worse for everyone.

Loot boxes have infiltrated everything in the last year or so and it fucking sucks. The pubs will keep pushing it and the defense force is making it easier for them.

What's more, if the game is unbalanced, frustrating and received poorly people will quickly leave it for something else. Then you're just playing against the P2W guys who will destroy you. So pretty quickly you have a $60 game with empty servers and even the P2W guys who spent hundreds of dollars will have moved on to some other skinner box.

Last edited:

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
So it's ok to buy a game but not have access to all of it because reasons.

Fuck that noise.

This is disgusting and should be called out as such. Locking pre made cosmetics (If a company continues to make this content post release and charge for it, meh) is bad enough, but gameplay related items being locked away potentially for good for those unable to spend huge amounts of time or money is complete trash.

I mean the content is there, you just gotta decide on what to spend your digital credits. I've played tons of hours on a couple of Call Of Duty's online and I know I've never unlocked all the shit they give you, where was the outrage there. Don't get me wrong the whole microtransactions ordeal has been really ugly and the amount of time needed to unlock things was way too much, so thank god everyone got up in arms and they changed that, but at this point seems like people are just looking for outrage.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question, why do people buy games like this? I'm all for buying DLC if it's quality (Horizon's DLC has been great!) but this lootbox nonsense....I just don't get why people continue to support this, especially in this case where it seems to be a core component of the game not just skins.

MarkMcLovin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's ignored all the daily / weelky and other challenges which dish out a considerable amount of credits.

But even with that said, for people that give a toss about it all, that's not good at all. A headline like that should hopefully get picked up and a change is made.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How long does it take to get the best star cards for a single character?

How long does it take to breed and train a competitive Pokemon?
For you to get any Star Card maxed out takes a lot of time. An upgrade from Rare to Epic is 480 scrap. With an estimated 50 scrap per loot box that puts the playtime cost at like a dozen hours or more -- it'd take about 10 crates' worth of scrap (maybe $10-15 worth of cash if you just bought them). That alone is more daunting to me than some bloated estimate of how long it would take to get everything.

It's kinda funny that people thought DICE was doing them a favor by removing Epic Star Cards from the Loot Crates......all that does is force you into a Scrap grind, since you will never be able to get an Epic card by random happenstance. I expect the game's economy will see a pretty huge overhaul in the months ahead though.

Last edited:

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Which was easier with physical cards since you could go into a store or online and pay market price for the card you want.

OR you could literally just trade one card for another with other players at no cost, which you simply can't do in any digital CCG except Solforge.

With digital you pay a flat rate for each rarity in materials broken down from duplicate cards and... yeah.

Ohh yea trust me I agree with you. Just was pointing out that Battlefront 2 and tcgs are both pay to win systems. Battlefront 2 is the most aggressive, disgusting and predatory pay to win f2p microtransaction $60 game I've ever seen.

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Serious question, why do people buy games like this? I'm all for buying DLC if it's quality (Horizon's DLC has been great!) but this lootbox nonsense....I just don't get why people continue to support this, especially in this case where it seems to be a core component of the game not just skins.
The majority of the people want pretty graphics, want to play games with their favourite franchises, want to pay as little as possible and are ok with loot boxes.

It's not some mystery. Publishers research this all the time.

Last edited:

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
So does this include like credits you get from challenges? I honestly think this is the kind of thing that might cause the crash of the AAA gaming industry. I mean I'm a huge fan of Star Wars but Jesus. There is a probably a good game underneath allthe bullshit but the progression system ruins the game. It's simply not worth it. At most I might rent the game to play the campaign but that's it. God, just fuck EA. How do you have the Star Wars licence for like 5 years now and the only thing to show for it is two mediocre Battlefront games. I mean how the fuck do you fuck up Battlefront. Battlefront 2 from 2005 is still the best Battlefront game. Can I just buy an HD remaster of that or something. Please. There hasn't been a good Star Wars game since KOTOR 2 and maybe the first Force Awakens. Bahhh. This is bullshit

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's fine to not unlock everything on a game.

Yup, im with this guy.

I play many online games that i havent unlocked everything on and still managed to enjoy them thourghly. Some of them would also take many hours to completely unlock all the content such as GTA and Ultimate team.

I wont be purchasing BF2, but im not outraged by this at all.

OP
OP
Aokiji

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I can't believe through reading this thread that people are defending this shit or using "you don't have to/aren't supposed to unlock everything" as a rebuttal. If that's what you all took from this we truly are royaly fucked.

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
At this point I think the game should be free and you get $60 worth of crates if you buy it. It's ridiculous that that terrible solution would be better for the customer than the sh*t we have now.

We are at a point where you would almost prefer Online and Season Passes. Think about that!

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Honestly this is just absurd and a blatant push by EA to make you cave and spend on the loot boxes.

I've learnt to grow and not be so against microtransactions over the years, they can be great for us and publishers when done right.

But anyone saying these f2p mechanics in BF II are fair and good for us is living in cuckoo land; imo even with the promise of free dlc (gated high anyway?)

From the poor amount of credits received for matches, the high trooper crate price, gating of some heroes, the RNG nature of ALL your progression; it's been a long time I've been put off such a good game so bad. I mean I don't drop £40-55 to be in place for such experiences personally.

It's not impossible to enjoy this game obviously, but it's clear to me EA have fully jumped the shark in their quest to "galaxy of heroes" every AAA game they make.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

The truth is they literally do not care that they're helping spread these predatory monetization schemes

Gamers have rarely ever been willing to stand up to anything, even stuff they did happen to care about

All you have to do is throw a paywall in front of something they used to get for free and that will gladly pay it without a fuss, cuz I mean, what are they going to do? Go without? Yea right, they'll pay with a smile

They're some of the limpest and most unprincipled consumers that currently exist

Not only will they ignore these practises, systems that actively make the game worse in order to funnel more money into the publishers pockets, but they will actually go out of their way to DEFEND them, defending systems that actively make the game worse, defending the holding hostage of content, defending the monopolization of the players time and money

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Have anyone looked closer at the numbers in the article? I see that theres a lot of assumptions mentioned there. Is this a best or worse case senario, or just a random example that can occur if the assumed conditions happends?

You get to play forever against P2W players who are going to destroy you. Those will be the only players left after a couple months.

The purchases may be optional but the effect on gameplay is not.
Any source to that the game is so unbalanced that getting upgrades means that you're getting destroyed?

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
What about the time to unlock the heroes, was that included?

Does this also assume that you get what you want first time or are all resources able to be used on all star cards. i.e. would there be additional time due to duplicates?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually completely relevant. Wth do you mean it's irrelevant?
It begins to be irrelevant when the sum total of all the paid content totals up to a spend that is hundreds and hundreds of dollars. All the champions in LoL probably cost like $600-$700 in total. At that point, what does it really matter if the game is free or not? $60 is a drop in the bucket, comparatively. "But it's free" just seems like a flimsy excuse.