• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

[UNMARKED SPOILERS] Captain Marvel - Spoiler Thread

Oct 31, 2017
I'm talking within the "Strong Woman" trope.

She's not a product of a male soldier warrior... but of research of a woman scientist. She's a child of peace not war.

Not that product of combat is always bad or requires a man... see Wonder Woman.

It's a nice change of pace.
Yeah, I can see that.

On another note, I wonder if the next arc will see a female supervillain after Thanos. It could be a good match up for Carol, if Carol becomes the centerpiece of the new team.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can see that.

On another note, I wonder if the next arc will see a female supervillain after Thanos. It could be a good match up for Carol, if Carol becomes the centerpiece of the new team.
As the overarching big bad?

Hmmm problem is short of gender bending Marvel's iconic Thanos level threats doesn't have many women in it.

You could just make Doom a woman for example though. The vanity element would play well with societal expectations of female beauty and the pressures that come with maintaining it and the status reversals that often come when women lose it... and the jealousy of Reed could be a product of him as a man getting all this recognition for his intelligence while hers is disregarded and more emphasis is placed on her looks.

I think I just talked myself into really wanting a female Doctor Doom lol

Oct 31, 2017
As the overarching big bad?

Hmmm problem is short of gender bending Marvel's iconic Thanos level threats doesn't have many women in it.

You could just make Doom a woman for example though. The vanity element would play well with societal expectations of female beauty and the pressures that come with maintaining it and the status reversals that often come when women lose it...
They could go for Death. She actually liked Thanos, and now she's angry.

Oct 31, 2017
Eh Death doesn't really work like that.

She's not really a villain or a big bad as much as a facilitator and a force of nature... she's morally neutral and works better that way
I was joking but I think if we want to see more progressive content in the MCU we can't translate verbatim characters that were invented 50 years ago. Some compromise will be necessary, either by gender bending, or by expanding characters that maybe were stuck in a prize/damsel in distress role and so on.

Oct 25, 2017
It would have undermined what they were going for.

Winning on her terms > Winning on his
Jude Law's character reminded me of interent trolls complaining about Mary Sues in that scene. "I would have won if you didn't have powers".
This idea that hand-on-hand combat is the ultimate test of "real" strength and thereby trying to make women inferior to men.

Oct 25, 2017
I was joking but I think if we want to see more progressive content in the MCU we can't translate verbatim characters that were invented 50 years ago. Some compromise will be necessary, either by gender bending, or by expanding characters that maybe were stuck in a prize/damsel in distress role and so on.
Yep... which is why I'm now Team Woman Doom

I mean shit we've had two terrible cinematic Doom portrayal failures why not just distance the MCU one entirely from that and try something different that nonetheless actually captures the heart of Doom.

Oct 25, 2017

I mean shit we've had two terrible cinematic Doom portrayal failures why not just distance the MCU one entirely from that and try something different that nonetheless actually captures the heart of Doom.
Making Doom a woman would make all this internet furore over CM look like nothing in comparison. Almost worth it for that alone

Oct 31, 2017

If she didn't get burnt with SW, Woman Doom portrayed by Gwendoline Christie could have definitely worked. Imposing, great acting, powerful voice. Heck it could still work.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it last night and I'd rank it somewhere in the middle - bottom of Marvel movies. It wasn't a bad movie but at the same time it didn't really do anything for me either. The major set pieces weren't really exciting aside from the fight inside the train.

Goose by far was the best thing about it. I also loved that scene with the montage of Carol busting her ass and then getting up throughout the years. I thought that was really cool.