• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just came out of seeing it. I liked it a lot. Not the best MCU film but FAR from the worst.

I have to agree with a lot of people that the entire 90s setting was totally wasted and the few references were shallow and boring. At times I literally forgot this film was a period piece since so little depends on the time. There was so much more they could've done with the 90s setting but it really feels like they half-assed it.

The moment Djimon Hounsou appeared I figured out Carol's whole team would be the bad guys. Really, the whole twist I saw coming a mile away (since when has any story EVER portrayed an all controlling AI as benevolent?).

Brie Larson was good. Don't understand what beef people have with her acting.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine understanding what fiction is and how it works while also being completely unable
To suspend my disbelief. That sounds mentally exhausting.

At this point you have to. A lot of stuff obviously gets retconned it's the name of the game especially when you have a film that goes back in time a bit before current events in the MCU.

It's the equivalent of asking where the Avengers were during The Winter Solider. Although they did do a good one of having Thor and the Hulk be away during Civil War as that would have been a very short fight depending what sides they fell on.

Last edited:

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
At this point you have to. A lot of stuff obviously gets retconned it's the name of the game especially when you have a film that goes back in time a bit before current events in the MCU.

It's the equivalent of asking where the Avengers were during The Winter Solider. Although they did do a good one of having Thor and the Hulk be away during Civil Way as that would have been a very short fight depending what sides they fell on.
both would've been Team Ironman

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017
The problem is she wasn't ANYWHERE.

Thanos hasn't started wrecking the galaxies yesterday. How old is Gamora? He was already practicing genocide back then. Is it possible that Carol never even heard of it? She never tried to stop him?

You do realize there are over 400 billion stars and 100 billion star systems in our galaxy alone and every star has many planets. I know that number isn't fathomable but let's think for a sec here.

By the time Tony and Gang made it to Titan from Earth, Cap's team had flown to Scotland, then flown back to New York, then flown to Africa.

So your looking at 1.5 days minimum moving from system to system. If you were to travel from system to system every day you are looking at 100 billion days before you have searched every star system in the galaxy

Thor has been in space for a few weeks heading to Earth at the end of Ragnarok before being intercepted by Thanos

Also there is no indication that the war between the Skrulls and Kree is over as she has not stopped the Kree me yet evident in GOTG

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Thanos has been practicing genocide across the galaxy for much longer than 1 year.

Even if we were to assume Gamora's planet was the first he picked for his "practices", and even if we were to assume Gamora is like 25 in the first GotG movie, he's been doing this for over 20 years. Everyone in cosmic Marvel seem to be well aware of who Thanos is.
I don't think they can really play with the idea that Carol would have no clue.

On the other hand, her movie predates that, or fairly close to the same time..

One warlord taking on individuals planets versus an intergalactic war that's already taking place on multiple planets.

It's kind of like the US being the world's policeman. Do you take out every single dictator? Do you concentrate on humanitarian efforts? Diplomacy?

So what exactly happened with Korath?
He kind of just disappears from what I remember.

I thought I read somewhere that he got the idea to go after the power stone after seeing what the Tessaract did to Carol.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
So I haven't gone through the whole thread so I may be late on this but...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradomini...ic&utm_campaign=bffbbuzzfeed&ref=bffbbuzzfeed

tenor.gif

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
My top unanswered question is where has Goose been all these years since the end scene.

No way she just became an alley cat/Flerken.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
If it turns out to be true, I must once again bow down to Lord Fiege for being that attentive to detail.

If not, I bow down to the fans with far too much time on their hands.

For some reason that scene in Ready Player One where they have all those nerds tasked with finding the key but Feige has Marvel nerds locked up in a basement going through new scripts to spot continuity errors

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
This is a different case, because the movie TELLS us what Carol is going to do but we're clearly shown that Carol hasn't been doing it. And the post credit scene makes it seem like Carol is absolutely surprised of Thanos' entire existence.

The movie establishes the Kree/Skrull war as being Carol's main concern, it's not too hard to think Carol was busy not only finding the Skrulls a new home that is far away enough from the Kree sphere of influence, but also going looking for Skrull refugees in need of rescuing and maybe even liberating planets from Kree influence, so maybe it's not like she didn't know who Thanos is, but maybe like "I'll try to deal with Thanos when im done dealing with this refugee crisis", even by comicbook standards or scifi standards it's not much of a stretch to think cleaning up the mess after the Kree/Skrull war could take more than 20 years.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

It's the equivalent of asking where the Avengers were during The Winter Solider. Although they did do a good one of having Thor and the Hulk be away during Civil War as that would have been a very short fight depending what sides they fell on.
No, I agree completely. Suspension of disbelief in movies where characters get super powers from explosions generated by non-existing extra terrestrial objects...requires that you suspend your disbelief. I just can't understand why someone would go into a movie set in this universe, and then try to logically work out details that clearly challenge the key element to these movies: suspension of disbelief.

It seems completely stupid to me that someone would be totally okay with a man building a reactor in his chest to survive, but somehow has deeply rooted problems with "well it doesn't make sense why [x] happened!".

It's just insane to me.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For a lot of this film's running time I felt like I was teetering on the line between like and dislike, but then we reach the third act and what I considered the emotional/personal triumph moment included a scene where an AI shoots a metaphysical energy beam at a mental projection of the hero inside a vague psychic cyberscape. A struggle of wills ensues until the hero has her transformation. That's the moment where I thought "ohh, it's this kind of movie". I get it, it's hard to visualize how a fight between an AI and a very real corporeal being would go, especially if it all takes place inside the mind. But It's hard to gauge the extent of the antagonist's strength versus the hero's willpower. How do you effectively show that on screen? With, like, a cyber energy beam struggle, I guess? I feel like Many sci-fi films try this kind of conflict, and I think most fail. It's a fool's errand.

Anyway, I thought that was kinda dumb.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Isn't it funny that the only time during the MCU where suspension of disbelief isn't possible is movies starring black people and a woman?

Like people are getting on Carol's ass for not doing anything about Thanos.

Clowns, what the fuck was Odin doing about Thanos?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My personal theory is that everyone in the galaxy kind of knows who Thanos is, but they view him as this sort of tinpot dictator who rules over his own little corner of space and every year for the last 20 years he's like "This is the year I'm finally going to collect the Infinity Stones and destroy half the population" and everyone else is like "Alright grandpa, take your medicine, if you come over here we'll beat your ass" and that's why nobody really took him seriously and were taken completely by surprise when he launched his attack.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it funny that the only time during the MCU where suspension of disbelief isn't possible is movies starring black people and a woman?

Like people are getting on Carol's ass for not doing anything about Thanos.

Clowns, what the fuck was Odin doing about Thanos?

"Where was so and so while they fought..." has been asked quite a lot in regard to MCU movies. It's the burden of trying to put all these characters into one big world.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are we really doing the Cosmic-equivalent of the Iron Man 3 debate? Fuckin hell, Steve Rogers was busy with shit when Tony was dealing with all that, okay? Jesus.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are countless issues around the galaxies, with various planets being wiped out by various villain warlords everywhere everyday. Its not too far fetch to say she was probably busy with her own problem

And now half of the population everywhere being wiped out, means she shifted this as being top most critical and urgent matter to her.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I mean its pretty much guaranteed that Endgame ends with a Skrull infiltration hint.

That said, there are other clear continuity errors in Captain Marvel, so thats probably all that is.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
What errors did you notice?

The most obvious one is the scene from Avengers where Nick Fury tells Banner, Thor, and Captain America "Last year, Earth had a visit from another planet that had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously outgunned."

He learned it in fact 20 years earlier from Captain Marvel, and learned also there are massive galactic empires at war that will level Earth without a second thought and took it all in stride including the existence of shapeshifter aliens. He was given a "massive power source", saw what Red Skull did with it, but still just sat on it for 15 years until Thor came to Earth. Thats a bit weird, and while you could try to explain it by not having the right scientists or whatever, I don't think there really is a good way to explain it except retconning Captain Marvel in.

The second obvious one is Fury's eye patch and him saying in Winter Soldier he got it because he trusted someone, but I guess you could explain that by him being embarrassed about the truth.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
The most obvious one is the scene from Avengers where Nick Fury tells Banner, Thor, and Captain America "Last year, Earth had a visit from another planet that had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously outgunned."

He learned it in fact 20 years earlier from Captain Marvel, and learned also there are massive galactic empires at war that will level Earth without a second thought and took it all in stride including the existence of shapeshifter aliens. He was given a "massive power source", saw what Red Skull did with it, but still just sat on it for 15 years until Thor came to Earth. Thats a bit weird, and while you could try to explain it by not having the right scientists or whatever, I don't think there really is a good way to explain it except retconning Captain Marvel in.

The second obvious one is Fury's eye patch and him saying in Winter Soldier he got it because he trusted someone, but I guess you could explain that by him being embarrassed about the truth.

Hmm - I didn't catch that first one!

The second one I kind of understood because he says in the film after Goose goes full Flurken that he's "trusting her not to eat him" or something along those lines.

Kelira Telian

Nov 22, 2017
This is not about the pager! The pager is a nonissue!

This is about Carol being a being of cosmic power who we're told is going to go take care of bigger stuff in space, and her playing no role in any of the bigger stuff we've seen happening in space so far. We've seen galactic wars, genocides, living planets, invasions, rogue fleets, a mad titan basically destroying every single location we've seen in space so far and killing half the galaxy and she was ALWAYS busy somewhere else.

Isn't it at least a bit silly?

She's powerful but she's not fucking omnipotent.

Like christ dude, you're mad that they didn't explain in detail what she's been doing for the last quarter century, and outright lying about what was said in the movie.

Kelira Telian

Nov 22, 2017
Absolutely.

My issue is that while all of that can be excused as part of an evolving franchise, the ending of CM is shot knowing all that stuff actually played out. So leaving the question hanging this way sticks out more, to me. I was expecting a much "better" explanation than "she went on another quest"; before seeing the movie.

You know, of all the absolute garbage film criticism nerd dudes have propulgated, the absolutely most infuriatingly idiotic and obnoxious is "this is a plot hole because I don't know the answer RIGHT NOW"

No shit you don't know the answer, they didn't fucking tell us, because us not fucking knowing is the goddamn fucking point.

Holy shit.

(sorry if double post)

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

The out of universe explanation for that is that it's exposition, reminding those who missed the relevant film, or had forgotten the plot, where the universe of the film is.

A quite satisfactory in universe explanation should be familiar to anybody who has ever had a security clearance or worked in the military of any country. Everything to do with Project Pegasus is a secret controlled by SHIELD on behalf of the World Security Council. The Need to Know principle applies. Fury does not need to divulge information about Carol Danvers, her survival and her brief return to Earth. So he doesn't mention it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_to_know

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Those are hardly errors. Besides the explanation by the post above, Fury already have the better example story in front of them, to convince them of a need for Avengers: Thor.

Back in Iron Man 2, Nick Fury already implied to Tony Stark that he is not the only superhero in the world, and that Stark is now a part of the 'bigger universe'. Thats before he recruited Steve Rogers, Bruce Banner and Thor

The writers left a lot of wide opened doors , to indicate that SHIELD already have experiences with such stuffs way before Avengers forms.

Last edited:

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Reasons she didn't show up before...
1- Fury makes the Avengers to protect earth because shes not there. So he would trust them for most things I'd think.
2- For the Alien hole that was punched in the sky ... whose to say he didn't page her? That was wrapped up pretty fast and she can't blink to his side like magic. We don't know how long it took her to get the page AND travel there for the end credits scene but I'm gonna assume it's been at least a day. Last time we see the Avengers everyone was dusted but now they've regrouped and found the pager and built the power source around it soooo I'm gonna say at least 24 hours. Could be more than enough time for him to page her and then follow up with "NVM, the team I made handled it." as she's on her way. Or maybe by the time she got there everything had ended and she was like "Ok, cool ... Imma just spend some time with the people I know and love before I leave again". I feel like we're gonna get this addressed in endgame.

Really, this isn't anything new. You can ask why so and so didn't show up for so and so's movie.

Also ... space is BIIIG. No reason to expect everyone to know or ref everything else. Like why CM wasn't touched on in any GoTG stuff ... it's a gag in the GoTG film that no one knows who Star Lord is and he's been a part of a well known gang for 20+ years in those parts.

Would have been several days if not more. They had to get over their shock, get back from Wakanda, find out that Fury had a pager, go get the pager. So even if it's just a week which would be EXTREMELY FAST, that means that it takes Carol a good long while.

So anything about Carol coming back to Earth is not thinking things through. The Battle of NY was, what, a half hour? And the city in danger of being annihilated by ourselves for only a minute of that? Nah, no point in calling her. Same for Ultron, by the time it became a world-threatening event, it was too late to call her, or he did but then sent a 'never mind' shortly after.

As far as stopping Thanos, remember her entire thing was stopping the Kree. Thanos was a bad dude, but likely didn't show up on her radar, much like the billions of other things happening in the universe. He was done with Xandar in a few days and she's not psychic.

The only question I have is why Ronan wasn't taken out by her in the interim since a Kree fanatic should be high on her radar, but again we have no idea what's happened to her in the last decades. Hopefully her sequel will take a cue from Wonder Woman and Black Widow and take place in the interim, or at least address it.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Just saw it and I was kinda bored with it. I liked Brie as Captain Marvel, loved the humor but overall I wasn't that into it except for when she went Super Saiyan. I'm excited to see how she does in Endgame.

I did fall asleep at the tail end of tthe film, so I just wanted to ask who seemed more powerful Captain Marvel or Thor?
she like all people who gets their powers from a infinity stone is over powered
Vision
Wanda
Carol
Dr Strange (when they get around to him always having the stone again)

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Nick Fury is a spy. He lies. He keeps secret.
It is obviously a retcon, but it makes sense because Fury tried to approach Tony at the post credit scene of IM 1, which happens before Thor.
So if Fury's whole thing was a reaction to Thor, then that was a plot hole that is now fixed.
-
If people are chasing inconsistencies between Fury's words and what we saw actually happening. "Nick Fury lies" is 100% in character.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this was discussed already, so Nick Fury calls Captain Marvel in the post credits scene on Infinity War, later the remaining Avengers find the "phone" and tried to call her again?, is that the gist of it?. How they found the "phone"?, is that going to be explained or do we have to believe they found it off camera for plot reasons.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about the eye.. i'm more annoyed that they retconned the S.H.I.E.L.D joke in Iron Man 1. They could have easily altered any Shield references in Captain Marvel.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I find the "why wasn't X doing Y" conversations with these type of things really boring because the answer is obvious but we're pretending that it's not to try and nitpick at the timeline. Carol didn't show up in the past movies because Carol didn't exist. The Avengers don't show up in every other movie because solo movies are usually, well, solo movies. All the Halo Reach weapons weren't in Halo CE because they just hadn't been thought up yet.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe this was discussed already, so Nick Fury calls Captain Marvel in the post credits scene on Infinity War, later the remaining Avengers find the "phone" and tried to call her again?, is that the gist of it?. How they found the "phone"?, is that going to be explained or do we have to believe they found it off camera for plot reasons.

Then who was phone?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The movie is not out for a month. We don't know.

Also it's not a phone, it's a beeper.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Presumably they found it where his body was last located.

I don't care about the eye.. i'm more annoyed that they retconned the S.H.I.E.L.D joke in Iron Man 1. They could have easily altered any Shield references in Captain Marvel.
SHIELD has been called SHIELD prior to Iron Man for a long time.