• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I am talking specifically about her struggles as a woman on earth which are all shown in flashback and not from the point of view of the character. It's like watching a trailer of someone's life instead of the full movie.

Yes, I know you don't see her previous life on Earth except in a few flashbacks and a montage. That life isn't what this story is about, any more than Homecoming is about how Peter became a brilliant young schoolboy who lives with his aunt.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this last night with a bunch of friends, thought it was just OK, it's probably on the lower tier of the MCU for me(along with most of the other origin movies).

I liked the action and effects, but a lot of the humour felt forced to me(whereas in the other MCU movies it felt natural) and I felt like the movie was trying too hard to create "epic" moments and scenes. Probably would give the movie a 6.5 or 7/10 if I was to rate it.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it, really liked Brie Larson as CM. The cockiness and how much she enjoyed her powers. Really reminded me of Thor, and I think their interactions in Endgame could be very entertaining, if there are any.

How strong is she supposed to be, compared to Thor? And she's not supposed to be stronger than Thanos right? She just got infused with energy from the Tesseract, Thanos had full control over all the Stones.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And yet I still don't see why she's boring. I've yet to have anyone say WHY she's boring, just that she supposedly is. What are the expectations for any given person of a character to not be boring?

CWII is another point of view thing, because I didn't see her nearly as badly as anyone else did if only because the choices that have to be made given the information presented are not black and white.
Military based heroes are just inherently dull to me. They either have to stand for something idealistic like Steve or be a renegade like Kate Kane. Carol isn't either of those things in the comics. She's dull like Hal Jordan and John Stewart.

I don't know how you can rationalise what she did in CW2 as a point of view thing. This is like trying to rationalise Tony's bullshit in the first CW. Which she unsurprisingly sided with.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Just saw it, really liked Brie Larson as CM. The cockiness and how much she enjoyed her powers. Really reminded me of Thor, and I think their interactions in Endgame could be very entertaining, if there are any.

How strong is she supposed to be, compared to Thor? And she's not supposed to be stronger than Thanos right? She just got infused with energy from the Tesseract, Thanos had full control over all the Stones.

Depending on who's writing her/him, Captain Marvel is the strongest Marvel hero. It's hard to judge by the small amount of time she had her full power at the end of this movie, but it seems like she'll be close to Thor when he wields Stormbreaker.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Depending on who's writing her/him, Captain Marvel is the strongest Marvel hero. It's hard to judge by the small amount of time she had her full power at the end of this movie, but it seems like she'll be close to Thor when he wields Stormbreaker.

Seems about right. She went through the spaceships the same way Thor did at the end of Infinity War. Though perhaps with slightly less effort.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I think she's probably stronger than stone-less Thanos... she could probably beat him in a tough straight fight (whereas the Hulk couldn't). WITH the assembled gauntlet, no, nobody can beat him.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Did she show much in the way of raw physical strength? Even pushing back the missile and torpedoing the ship could be considered energy projection as she only did those things while glowing.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Military based heroes are just inherently dull to me. They either have to stand for something idealistic like Steve or be a renegade like Kate Kane. Carol isn't either of those things in the comics. She's dull like Hal Jordan and John Stewart.

I don't know how you can rationalise what she did in CW2 as a point of view thing. This is like trying to rationalise Tony's bullshit in the first CW. Which she unsurprisingly sided with.
It's like people have different value systems or something...

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Did she show much in the way of raw physical strength? Even pushing back the missile and torpedoing the ship could be considered energy projection as she only did those things while glowing.
She kicks a Skrull, who I'm assuming has similar mass to a similarly sized adult human, 8 to 10 feet vertically into the ceiling. And her hits basically throw Skrulls across the room. And that's with her power inhibitor.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
She kicks a Skrull, who I'm assuming has similar mass to a similarly sized adult human, 8 to 10 feet vertically into the ceiling. And her hits basically throw Skrulls across the room. And that's with her power inhibitor.
I mean she clearly has beyond human strength but I'm talking about physical strength in the ballpark of Hulk, or Thor why can swing around steel beams and the like.

Essentially, is her prowess dependent on her channeling energy or inate like Thor's?

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I read on wikipedia Carol has something like a binary form. Is this what we saw with her going Super Saiyan at the end? Or was this her regular strength? From wiki I got the impression she couldn't go binary at will and for prolonged periods of time. But in the movie this was just something she could do. Without limitations.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I read on wikipedia Carol has something like a binary form. Is this what we saw with her going Super Saiyan at the end? Or was this her regular strength? From wiki I got the impression she couldn't go binary at will and for prolonged periods of time. But in the movie this was just something she could do. Without limitations.
I don't think she went Binary. From looking at an image search, her Binary form seems to have different design language going on where she actually looks like she's on fire/made of fire.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Your value system involves imprisoning people who haven't done anything wrong?
That was indeed the point of Civil War II, yes. Minority Report is one hell of a story.

No, almost nobody's value system says it's fine to hold people unjustly. The problem is that they've been imprisoned for doing something wrong in the future. It's an ethical dilemma (that, unfortunately, just wasn't written terribly well). She's also not the only one who does it, but I don't see anyone bitching about T'challa being on her side until he just nopes out for no reason whatsoever.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone notice what looked like an old eyeball shaped Logitech webcam, but painted black, when CM and Fury drove up to the security checkpoint at the Pegasus facility? This was my first webcam and it immediately stood out to me, triangular base and all....seemed like a more subtle 90s callback

2a5i3lO.jpg

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Did anyone notice what looked like an old eyeball shaped Logitech webcam, but painted black, when CM and Fury drove up to the security checkpoint at the Pegasus facility? This was my first webcam and it immediately stood out to me, triangular base and all....seemed like a more subtle 90s callback

2a5i3lO.jpg
I absolutely noticed that. I remember making stop motion videos with my friends, using action figures, utilizing that camera.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a lot easier to criticize a movie when you lie about it, yes.
Wtf is wrong with you people

I love when people just pull a quote and ignore everything else the poster has been saying within that post and the posts that follow pertaining to that discussion.
sometimes, it's okay to have character like that. what's Captain America flaws in The First Avenger? he starts out already a good man. even Erskine make a point to not ever change.
Captain America doesn't really become interesting as a character until he gets thawed and has to reckon with his old values vs the modern world

I dont understand why people are defending Captain Marvel by pointing to other Marvel films that have the same flaws. Those movies have problems, too.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That was indeed the point of Civil War II, yes. Minority Report is one hell of a story.

No, almost nobody's value system says it's fine to hold people unjustly. The problem is that they've been imprisoned for doing something wrong in the future. It's an ethical dilemma (that, unfortunately, just wasn't written terribly well). She's also not the only one who does it, but I don't see anyone bitching about T'challa being on her side until he just nopes out for no reason whatsoever.
I mean, it's only a potential future. Time is malleable. It's a really dumb ethical dilemma for this universe. What she was doing was wrong, there really wasn't any gray there.

Her not being the only one doesn't really change that she was pushing for it the most. She gets the blame because she was headlining the event as the antagonist, like Tony did for the original. But I won't begrudge anyone dunking on supporters, fuck'em all.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
I really liked the movie, and that Carol has a more normal human personality, unlike the other heroes, Larson just landed those "Wut? i can do this?" moments, like the first time you nail doing something then proceed to do it better.
Another thing is that they finally explained how everyone from space speaks english...

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it Sunday and it was fun. My favorite moment was Carol enjoying herself so much she belly flopped through an alien ship.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Captain America doesn't really become interesting as a character until he gets thawed and has to reckon with his old values vs the modern world

I dont understand why people are defending Captain Marvel by pointing to other Marvel films that have the same flaws. Those movies have problems, too.
First Avenger is one of my favorite MCU films... I compare Cap Marvel to it as a good thing :(

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I mean, i guess? McDonald's is also very successful.

Edit: or more pertinent: Bayformers

And hell, don't all the DCEU films make disgusting amounts of money, too?

You could be right to lump things I like in with things I don't like. It doesn't weaken my critique here. Are we to judge all drama according to the classical unities or some other traditional prescription? If not, why not, and why does this argument not apply to your own criteria?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could be right to lump things I like in with things I don't like. It doesn't weaken my critique here. Are we to judge all drama according to the classical unities or some other traditional prescription? If not, why not, and why does this argument not apply to your own criteria?
Safe and forumulaic has apparently paid off well for Marvel and still does.

Personally, as much as I enjoy the MCU I'm ready for something bold and new. I don't want more of the same. But that's just me.

I'd love to see Marvel Studios try something like Logan.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Safe and forumulaic has apparently paid off well for Marvel and still does.

Personally, as much as I enjoy the MCU I'm ready for something bold and new. I don't want more of the same. But that's just me.

I'd love to see Marvel Studios try something like Logan.

You appear to have switched goals. I thought you were criticising departures from some prescribed formula as "flaws". Now you're saying you do actually want adventurous writing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The most obvious one is the scene from Avengers where Nick Fury tells Banner, Thor, and Captain America "Last year, Earth had a visit from another planet that had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously outgunned."

He learned it in fact 20 years earlier from Captain Marvel, and learned also there are massive galactic empires at war that will level Earth without a second thought and took it all in stride including the existence of shapeshifter aliens. He was given a "massive power source", saw what Red Skull did with it, but still just sat on it for 15 years until Thor came to Earth. Thats a bit weird, and while you could try to explain it by not having the right scientists or whatever, I don't think there really is a good way to explain it except retconning Captain Marvel in.

The second obvious one is Fury's eye patch and him saying in Winter Soldier he got it because he trusted someone, but I guess you could explain that by him being embarrassed about the truth.

Would you trust Tony Stank with the knowledge that you could contact a galactic super being? Would you tell Cap who just accused you of developing hydra weapons?

Where some see a plot hole, I see Fury acting exactly like he always has - telling half truths, and revealing only what people need to know at that time.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Would you trust Tony Stank with the knowledge that you could contact a galactic super being? Would you tell Cap who just accused you of developing hydra weapons?

Where some see a plot hole, I see Fury acting exactly like he always has - telling half truths, and revealing only what people need to know at that time.

You mean Nick Fury, super Spy and head of a top secret gov outfit, doesn't tell people the whole truth and sometimes may lie!?!?

Fury was the prefect character for this and I don't get why people are trying to get hung up on things. Like how people go "But in IM 1 they show that they came up with the name in that Movie!" ... they're top secret, not a name you toss around. So until they decided Tony should be brought in they just gave a loong ass boring name that no one would look up or pay much attention to. Carol was a Pew Pew space person that just save his life and told them that aliens are among them so he brings her in and tells her whats up.

The pager stuff. The whole point of making the Avengers was so that he didn't have to wait on her. She's in space doing who knows what from who knows how far away. Maybe he did push the pager but she was too busy doing something on the other side of infinity to swoop in and save the day in the half hour of actual combat that happens before everything's resolved. Maybe he pushed it and after it's resolved he tells her NVM. People forget that the events in these Avengers movies last like less than a day and it took her longer than a day to get to earth in the post credits.

Last edited:

Kelira Telian

Nov 22, 2017
Wtf is wrong with you people

I love when people just pull a quote and ignore everything else the poster has been saying within that post and the posts that follow pertaining to that discussion.

Everything you've said has either been a lie, or a demonstration that you were completely unable to comprehend and extremely simply laid out movie.

Granted neither one of those is a good look for you.

Oct 25, 2017
This is hard to articulate but bear with me.

Remember the Justice League toon where they featured Task Force X? They were the Suicide Squad in all but name, obviously.

The whole episode is from their perspective UNTIL the fight with Martian Manhunter. He then becomes the protagonist, quickly followed by the usual 'good guy' characters.

This movie reminded so much of this plot device!

What do you call it, and what other movies or tv shows have done this?

The flashback to the plane crash and the explosion flips the perspective in almost the same way, except the central character - Capt Marvel herself - remains at the centre as the protagonist.

I don't know how many other stories might have tried this without using amnesia though.

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
Saw it last night.

Decent movie overall. Cpt. Marvel is badass! The CGI was lol again, minus the insane de-aging face effects.
Aaaaaand now I have a crush on Brie Larson again. She slayed it
I can't understand for the life of me why there is always this one scene in every MCU movie that has terrible CGI. The back shot of Norway in Ragnarok, the final fight in BP, Banner in the Hulkbuster in IW, and now the shot of Carol falling and the ground as she gets closer to hitting it.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't understand for the life of me why there is always this one scene in every MCU movie that has terrible CGI. The back shot of Norway in Ragnarok, the final fight in BP, Banner in the Hulkbuster in IW, and now the shot of Carol falling and the ground as she gets closer to hitting it.

well the back of norway on ragnarok can be explained since they added that scene like a month before of the premiere, or something like that.

the scene was originally on new york, and you can see it in the trailers

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything you've said has either been a lie, or a demonstration that you were completely unable to comprehend and extremely simply laid out movie.

Granted neither one of those is a good look for you.
Oh, by all means point to examples of both and explain to me why you cite them. Because i really don't know what you are talking about.

Calling me a liar is the easy part.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
This is hard to articulate but bear with me.

Remember the Justice League toon where they featured Task Force X? They were the Suicide Squad in all but name, obviously.

The whole episode is from their perspective UNTIL the fight with Martian Manhunter. He then becomes the protagonist, quickly followed by the usual 'good guy' characters.

This movie reminded so much of this plot device!

What do you call it, and what other movies or tv shows have done this?

The flashback to the plane crash and the explosion flips the perspective in almost the same way, except the central character - Capt Marvel herself - remains at the centre as the protagonist.

I don't know how many other stories might have tried this without using amnesia though.

Sorry if this isn't helpful, but over the past few days I've been mentally comparing this film's plot to the theme of The Prestige, as narrated by Michael Caine:

Of course, the real Prestige is the art of show and as a film The Prestige is a self-reflective contemplation. The characters of that film are quite lifeless, like the exoskeletons of insects trapped in amber. They're like ciphers, shadows on the wall of the cave, only there to serve the platonic ideal of the theme, which is the only true living entity in the film.

The character of Vers, like the professional magicians in The Prestige, sacrifices herself to an ideal. They dedicate themselves to a life of professional deceit, she dedicates herself to becoming the ideal Kree warrior, in particular a commando, a specialist in secret operations.

It's only by following their paths that we find that these characters are themselves the subjects of manipulation. In Vers' case, the Turn is where she loses touch with the Kree. The Prestige in this trick is her rebirth as Carol, with a family. She's unravelling the magic trick imposed on her by Yon-Rogg.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Small bit of theorizing about Endgame

Thanos has to know of Carol's existence at this point, right? For someone who is portrayed to be as prepared and calculated as him, he can't be surprised by her showing up. Especially now that we know she's been around all this time.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
In I finite War, they said only an infinity stone can destroy an infinity stone, and that was the reason Wanda could destroy them since she was given power by the stones.

Doesn't that mean Carol can theoretically destroy the stones since she was given power by them too?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Small bit of theorizing about Endgame

Thanos has to know of Carol's existence at this point, right? For someone who is portrayed to be as prepared and calculated as him, he can't be surprised by her showing up. Especially now that we know she's been around all this time.

It's plausible that he knows about her, if only through his brief alliance with Ronan. I don't see how it's certain that he both knows of her and, possessing all of the Infinity stones, believes her to be a potential threat.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
just came back from the movie and i liked it. you guys that are nitpicking the history and timeline, remember it's just a movie yo

I did have some severe flashbacks of the 90s with the soundtrack, and blockbusters and the "internet" cafe when her modem hung up. Oh the memories

VaQhPZp.png

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
So, when Fury and Danvers are running out of the Pegasus facility... and they're in the hanger.
Before they get on the quin-jet, they come out under the tail of a fighter jet.

It's got two tails canted at an outwards angle... I think it's an F-22.
The fins don't match the angle of an F-15, or F-18.

Wouldn't this be the wrong year for a 22 though?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
So, when Fury and Danvers are running out of the Pegasus facility... and they're in the hanger.
Before they get on the quin-jet, they come out under the tail of a fighter jet.

It's got two tails canted at an outwards angle... I think it's an F-22.
The fins don't match the angle of an F-15, or F-18.

Wouldn't this be the wrong year for a 22 though?

According to wiki the first flight was in 1997. I guess it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think Shield had access to it before that.