• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
So, when Fury and Danvers are running out of the Pegasus facility... and they're in the hanger.
Before they get on the quin-jet, they come out under the tail of a fighter jet.

It's got two tails canted at an outwards angle... I think it's an F-22.
The fins don't match the angle of an F-15, or F-18.

Wouldn't this be the wrong year for a 22 though?

It's a secret prototype. I'll invoice you at my standard rate for plot repair.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
So, when Fury and Danvers are running out of the Pegasus facility... and they're in the hanger.
Before they get on the quin-jet, they come out under the tail of a fighter jet.

It's got two tails canted at an outwards angle... I think it's an F-22.
The fins don't match the angle of an F-15, or F-18.

Wouldn't this be the wrong year for a 22 though?
The F-22 was first manufacturered in 1996, but I can see an experimental model or something similar being present at a top secret facility built around experimental aircraft being present in 1995.

Hell, the YF-22, the experimental technology demonstrator that would be developed into the F-22, was up and flying back in 1990. And it also has the engine outlets and angled tail fins.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Just thinking about why CM didn't answer previous calls from Fury, etc during previous stuff like A1, I guess she felt like she didn't need to as earth has the Avengers?

Races like the Skrull refugees, and others, do not have anyone to help them?

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just thinking about why CM didn't answer previous calls from Fury, etc during previous stuff like A1, I guess she felt like she didn't need to as earth has the Avengers?

Races like the Skrull refugees, and others, do not have anyone to help them?

I think whatever has kept Carol away will probably be addressed in her next movie or in Endgame.

People focus on "why she didn't come to save Earth?" but forget that the galaxy has seen multiple planets be taken over, destroyed or depopulated by Thanos and his goons for over 20 years. Whatever kept Carol from taking action in the rest of the galaxy also kept her away from Earth.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finally saw it.

I was very pleasantly surprised that they subverted my expectations of the Skrulls being the "insidious alien invaders" and instead made them sympathetic refugees. Was NOT expecting that going in.

Carol herself was equally badass and should have plenty of hype moments going into Endgame.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I felt like this about Carol through the whole movie. There was just nothing there for me to latch onto. Even when she regains some of her memories I couldn't get invested in her as a character or her relationships. The movie just didn't do the work to make me care. Throughout the whole thing I thought she was just kind of a snarky wisecrack machine who occasionally looks a bit sad or confused. When she appeared in the mid-credits scene it was super jarring to me because seeing her next to these three characters who feel like actual people was like... it felt like they jammed an action figure in there or something. Put it this way: the idea that Carol is going to be instrumental in bringing down Thanos makes me less excited for Endgame. I don't care about her as a character and she has next to no personal stake in the conflict, aside from Fury getting dusted. They really need to do work in Endgame to make me care about Carol's role in it other than just as the group's biggest stick (arguably alongside Thor maybe?).
That could sum up how I felt about Dr Strange in his own movie, but in Infinity War I loved him. Let's hope Carol can win you over in Endgame :)

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Finally saw it. Loved it, Brie was awesome and her Carol seems worthy to take Downey mantle once he bails out of the MCU.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Sorry but no.

This image explain why I said that people complaining about Fury not paging Carol is silly. The movies wouldn't happen if he did. We can conjure a boatload of explanations and we don't need them to be the best explanation - the moment we start discussing how something makes sense but our own rationalization makes more sense we're talking about the Batmobile's tires.

This is a different case, because the movie TELLS us what Carol is going to do but we're clearly shown that Carol hasn't been doing it. And the post credit scene makes it seem like Carol is absolutely surprised of Thanos' entire existence.

So this isn't me wanting to know who inflates the Batmobile's tires. This is DC telling me it's Spiderman who does, and me going "What?".

Thanos isn't even mentioned in the scene. Just Fury. There's no sense of surprise youre just making shit up.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can somebody explain to me why the Skrulls took Carol's shoes/boots? I feel like i missed something there.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's been discussed, but the insecure reaction some are having over Captain Marvel potentially being more powerful than Thor, reminds me of how some at Marvel first treated Jean Grey/Phoenix

"No female can beat Thor or Silver Surfer"...Phoenix got to go up against Firelord, and only if it ended effectively in a tie.

VKTaL18_d.jpg

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Good reminder that what is old is new again. It's remarkable how progressive of a voice Claremont and friends were in his time at Marvel.

There were missteps from them but they were always TRYING.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Just saw the movie today. Was actually better than I expected it to be. Based on reviews and what I've heard on this site I went into it thinking it was gonna be another Thor 1 or Avengers 2 but I enjoyed it much more than those movies. Script was solid and Carol's incredibly dry, sarcastic humor really worked for me. It was a welcome change from the usual one liners that marvel usually sticks with. Fury was a little off putting to me though. His goofiness definitely worked in this movie but it's hard to connect his character from the rest of the MCU to his character in Captain Marvel. They're like polar opposites of each other.

Question about the Tessaract though. Maybe someone can jog my memory but I thought Shield found the Tesseract with frozen Cap way back in First Avenger. How did Mar-vell end up with it when it wasn't found until relatively recently at the bottom of the ocean? Am I remember wrong or is this just a massive continuity error on Marvel's part?

Also that ending credits stinger was the best one in a while.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Question about the Tessaract though. Maybe someone can jog my memory but I thought Shield found the Tesseract with frozen Cap way back in First Avenger. How did Mar-vell end up with it when it wasn't found until relatively recently at the bottom of the ocean? Am I remember wrong or is this just a massive continuity error on Marvel's part?

You are remembering wrong.

The Tesseract was found at the bottom of the ocean in the 40s by Howard Stark. Cap wasn't found until modern times.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw the movie today. Was actually better than I expected it to be. Based on reviews and what I've heard on this site I went into it thinking it was gonna be another Thor 1 or Avengers 2 but I enjoyed it much more than those movies. Script was solid and Carol's incredibly dry, sarcastic humor really worked for me. It was a welcome change from the usual one liners that marvel usually sticks with. Fury was a little off putting to me though. His goofiness definitely worked in this movie but it's hard to connect his character from the rest of the MCU to his character in Captain Marvel. They're like polar opposites of each other.

Also that ending credits stinger was the best one in a while.
The Tesseract was found back in the late 40s or 50s in a unsubtle reference to Howard Hughes and the Glomar Explorer (which was in the 80s but shh). It melted through the floor of the plane before it crashed so it was recovered first (plus it was emitting a lot of energy which could be traced).

Cap isn't found until later.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
You are remembering wrong.

The Tesseract was found at the bottom of the ocean in the 40s by Howard Stark. Cap wasn't found until modern times.
The Tesseract was found back in the late 40s or 50s in a unsubtle reference to Howard Hughes and the Glomar Explorer (which was in the 80s but shh). It melted through the floor of the plane before it crashed so it was recovered first (plus it was emitting a lot of energy which could be traced).

Cap isn't found until later.
And project pegasus was a thing Howard was involved in. So that's how Marvell got her hands on the tesseract.

Ah I see. Thank you

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Question- did Mar-vel know the Tesseract was on earth? Is that why she went there to develop FTL technology?

I think the idea was that she was sent there on a clandestine mission of some kind and then used the planet's galactically-irrelevant status to start her research away from prying eyes. Once she was THERE, she found out that humans had the Tesseract and it all moved forward that way.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The locations of at least a few Infinity Stones appear to be galactic common knowledge. In Infinity War, Thanos knows the Time Stone is on Earth (and who owns it) and it's not clear how. It's likely that using a stone sends out some kind of energy that can be detected by those who know what to look for.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
The locations of at least a few Infinity Stones appear to be galactic common knowledge. In Infinity War, Thanos knows the Time Stone is on Earth (and who owns it) and it's not clear how. It's likely that using a stone sends out some kind of energy that can be detected by those who know what to look for.

Those infamous plotinium particles, they get everywhere. Somebody really should invent a shield to protect from their effects.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This movie had better "Superman" moments than the actual Superman movies released this decade. Carol sending the fleet fleeing with a display of power, I'm confident I've seen moments like that from Supes in the animated series or comics

I think Marvel really mis-marketed this movie. Aside from the Mass Effect-lite stuff in the first act, the vast majority of this movie was relatively small-scale sci-fi "buddy cop" action with a tone that felt as 90s as its setting. I mean that in a good way; it was kind of refreshing. The trailers did any exceptionally poor job at showcasing Carol's personality or the Carol-Fury friendship

Aside from the choppily edited fight at the start and the early Skrull ambush, I thought the action was pretty good too. Fun, funny, varied, and way more Earth-based than I expected. The train chase/fight was a cool French Connection homage, and the canyon pursuit at the end felt very Independence Day IMO

My main issue with the film was structurally. Well, also the opening felt a tad too Guardians and just clunkly throws exposition at the audience. But besides that, as soon as the "Surpreme Intelligence" scene happens and we start get Earth flashbacks, it's pretty clear where the story is going and what the truth of Carol's backstory is. But the movie tries to treat it as a mystery for way too long, even after it has become blatantly obvious what has happened. And Carol as...Carol is much more interesting than Carol trying to figure things we as the audience are already grasping.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if it's been discussed yet but, could the daughter of the pilot be a setup for iron heart or another superhero from the next phase?

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know if it's been discussed yet but, could the daughter of the pilot be a setup for iron heart or another superhero from the next phase?
The daughter is Monica Rambeau, who was a prior Captian Marvel who also went by IDs like Spectrum and Photon. She also had flying brick and energy manipulation powers.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching the movie. It's easily the best solo Marvel origin story, and Thor 1 has a special place in my heart because of how fun the movie was.

The only flaw in the movie was in the last fight scenes because of minor editing issues in the lab and hangar.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
My main issue with the film was structurally. Well, also the opening felt a tad too Guardians and just clunkly throws exposition at the audience. But besides that, as soon as the "Surpreme Intelligence" scene happens and we start get Earth flashbacks, it's pretty clear where the story is going and what the truth of Carol's backstory is. But the movie tries to treat it as a mystery for way too long, even after it has become blatantly obvious what has happened. And Carol as...Carol is much more interesting than Carol trying to figure things we as the audience are already grasping.
Yeah, during the whole farmhouse part of the movie I felt I was already two steps ahead of it.

Oct 28, 2017
Liked the film even more after a second viewing. Carol's self-actualizing scene and the full expression of her powers in the climactic scene are amazing!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this movie a lot despite my lowered expectations. In fact, the more I think on it, the more I'm impressed with how good the third act was in particular. From the immense display of strength she showed against Starforce and the fleet, which was refreshing to go with that as opposed to an antagonist that could rival her (usually with similar powers), to her completely disregarding her mentor's blatant attempt to bait her into playing on his terms when she clearly holds all the power. Her breaking free from all that and how it continued the theme of how she's been doing that her entire life was really well done I felt. I expect this movie to be even better for me whenever I get around to a 2nd viewing since I'll be less confused.

Loved Carol as a character, especially once she got past her whole amnesia phase. Expect to love her even more in Endgame. Her and Fury's dynamic was really good as well, and went a long way in justifying why Fury would call her during the snap. Not just because she's powerful as fuck, but because they became really good friends. Wished we got more of Coulson though. Maria was pretty cool as well.

Talos, I went in thinking he was the villain, so him turning out to not be an antagonist was surprising. And I can see why so many like him, he was pretty damn hilarious, as well as sympathetic. Frankly from the trailers, I was expecting nothing from any of the Skrulls, so yea. The Starforce guys on the other hand were pretty meh (rip Minerva), but still got a kick out of Carol dealt with them, particularly her mentor. (I never memorized his name...)

As for Goose, yea he was cool and all, but MVP? Hell no, dude scratched out Fury's eye! Sure he saved his life, but that just ain't right. Did love how Fury lied about it though to Coulson. That said, I don't recall there ever being an explanation for why it was on Earth? Might've missed it though.

But yea, I felt that it was a very good origin movie. As someone whose perception of Carol was tainted from Day 1 due to comic fans finding her divisive, I was glad to finally see the MCU's take on her.

Last edited:

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed this movie a lot despite my lowered expectations. In fact, the more I think on it, the more I'm impressed with how good the third act was in particular. From the immense display of strength she showed against Starforce and the fleet, which was refreshing to go with that as opposed to an antagonist that could rival her (usually with similar powers), to her completely disregarding her mentor's blatant attempt to bait her into playing on his terms when she clearly holds all the power. Her breaking free from all that and how it continued the theme of how she's been doing that her entire life was really well done I felt. I expect this movie to be even better for me whenever I get around to a 2nd viewing since I'll be less confused.

Loved Carol as a character, especially once she got past her whole amnesia phase. Expect to love her even more in Endgame. Her and Fury's dynamic was really good as well, and went a long way in justifying why Fury would call her during the snap. Not just because she's powerful as fuck, but because they became really good friends. Wished we got more of Coulson though. Maria was pretty cool as well.

Talos, I went in thinking he was the villain, so him turning out to not be an antagonist was surprising. And I can see why so many like him, he was pretty damn hilarious, as well as sympathetic. Frankly from the trailers, I was expecting nothing from any of the Skrulls, so yea. The Starforce guys on the other hand were pretty meh (rip Minerva), but still got a kick out of Carol dealt with them, particularly her mentor. (I never memorized his name...)

As for Goose, yea he was cool and all, but MVP? Hell no, dude scratched out Fury's eye! Sure he saved his life, but that just ain't right. Did love how Fury lied about it though to Coulson. That said, I don't recall there ever being an explanation for why we was on Earth? Might've missed it though.

But yea, I felt that it was a very good origin movie. As someone whose perception of Carol was tainted from Day 1 due to comic fans finding her divisive, I was glad to finally see the MCU's take on her.
Explanation for who/what was on on Earth?

Oct 30, 2017
Wow at the number of people picking holes in where was Brie all these years.

Who's to say she didn't cross paths with Thanos all those years but got beat back by the combined might of him and his army.
Who's to say she heard about it but everytime she got to a planet that had been subject to Thanos' invasion she was too late.
Who's to say she wasn't busy fighting the kree who's empire spread among thousands of planets

Arrrrg

Or who's to say she knew about it but with the fact that there isn't a Universal News Channel she can't get to most of these places in time because by the time she's heard of them the invasion was long over

In other news though - good film - enjoyed it

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Wow at the number of people picking holes in where was Brie all these years.

Who's to say she didn't cross paths with Thanos all those years but got beat back by the combined might of him and his army.
Who's to say she heard about it but everytime she got to a planet that had been subject to Thanos' invasion she was too late.
Who's to say she wasn't busy fighting the kree who's empire spread among thousands of planets

Arrrrg

Or who's to say she knew about it but with the fact that there isn't a Universal News Channel she can't get to most of these places in time because by the time she's heard of them the invasion was long over

In other news though - good film - enjoyed it
Or, and this is a big or, Marvel simply hadn't planned Captain Marvel so many years back and people are just nitpicking too much. They're giving a somewhat valid reason in CM being several galaxies away (hinted), helping the Skrull find a new home (stated) and Fury having the utmost confidence in his Avengers Initiative (he only called her after the world was turning to dust, literally).

I guess there's always people who'll cry about it though.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
There's alot of potential for her in the sequel. Maybe Thanos cross path with her, maybe she met Drax with his family before they were killed by Ronan, maybe she get to be in The Eternals, etc...

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I thought Ultimates series was known to be trash.

Oh yeah, the first Ultimates is an alternate dimension 2000's edgelord reboot of Marvel, dreadful stuff.

This new teams goal is to get the stongest and smartest of the Marvel U and try to solve Universe level threat!

I regularly think about this Monica Rambeau monologue, and how she sees Miss America Chavez, it's so,fucking good.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize ships in the MCU didn't have lightspeed. Would the bifrost be considered lightspeed? It seemed pretty dang fast compared to everything else.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the comics she was recently on a team with Black Panther and Captain Marvel, and I would trade my left nut for an Ultimates movie.

58180._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg
So cool. A team with Blue Marvel and America Chávez would be crazy on film...

Not thinking about it, it'd be really good to have this be the Avengers team onwards in the MCU, for Phase 4:
Monica Rambeau
Black Panther
Captain Marvel

And they can go against bigger universal threats like Galactus.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, the first Ultimates is an alternate dimension 2000's edgelord reboot of Marvel, dreadful stuff.

This new teams goal is to get the stongest and smartest of the Marvel U and try to solve Universe level threat!

I regularly think about this Monica Rambeau monologue, and how she sees Miss America Chavez, it's so,fucking good.

I haven't been able to afford floppies/trades in forever, I need to keep an eye out for the next time Marvel Unlimited goes on sale so I can catch up on this series. The page layout you posted is aces.