• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I just finished the game:

1. Easily the second worst Devil May Cry story, with only Devil May Cry 2 beating it out. Even when you lay out the story In your head in it's chronological order, it's still weak because it falls back on "sibling rivalry" or some crap for Vergil beginning this all. We needed to see more of Vergil prior to splitting himself in two, or some monologue after, where he sells this to me better. But, on the order thing...

2. Who the fuck decided to cut this shit into a million pieces and jump back-and-forth between past and present? What did it add? Absolutely nothing! You maybe do this to build mystery, but there was 0 mystery in this game. Which leads to...

3. Why why why have so many "mysteries" when you bludgeon the answer to every single one of them in our faces miles before we get to their conclusion?

4. And finally, why was the level design copy/paste those red things that you have to smash? Along with a pause every 2 seconds in order to show a cutscene barrier growing (which I could skip), to a slowmo kill on badguys, to cutscene showing the barrier now disappearing? It's like this game was doing it's best to make itself feel slow. Thankfully, it got a lot better when I realized you could just click start and skip past most of this crap.

I could go on and on, but at the end of the day I'm disappointed. This was Vergil's return, and the story was told in such a mishmash manner. By the end, I'm not disappointed the game is bad, because it isn't. Gameplay is amazing, and I had a blast once I got Dante into my sweet hands. What I'm disappointed in is how much better it could have been, and how close it was to that greatness.
Imagine getting the best Devil May Cry game ever made and having this reaction to it. Lmao.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
bH2a8aK.png

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me who thinks King Cerberus' Theme goes hard? Especially during the fight. It's just OK on its own.
DMC3's one is dope too, but I love this one as well because of how chaotic it sounds.

Last edited:

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it has any missed potential. It exceeded pretty much every expectation. Unless of course if you expect expert Writing from the story 🤷‍♂️
DMC5 has lots of missed potential. And it certainly did not exceed every expectations. I Know lots of long time DMC fans that are divided on DMC5, some consider it near perfect and some are quite underwhelmed with the way they treated Lady /Trish, average level design/structure and average storytelling/plot.

DMC will always have the best combat in a game but outside combat there are lots that can be improved in future DMC games.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I don't think it has any missed potential. It exceeded pretty much every expectation. Unless of course if you expect expert Writing from the story 🤷‍♂️

I expect the writing to land on the beats that it establishes. Which is why I like DMC3's story more even though DMC5 had way more going for it.

The difference between DMC3 and DMC5 to me is that DMC3 kept it super simple with it basically a huge sibling spat story interwoven with Lady/Arkham stuff. The story was simple but it landed what it needed to do, which was establish Vergil as a badass rival to Dante.

DMC5 wanted to have too much.

It tried to establish a sense of mystery with Urizen's identity, except all the attempts to keep it hidden was pretty weak. Anyone with established DMC franchise history knows it's Vergil the moment Yamato was retrieved from Nero, and those without DMC franchise knowledge would feel like the story was leading you astride with the identity 'who's Urizen' bits but dragging it out without much suspense.

It wanted to have a sense of history. For it to take place in Dante/Vergil's hometown, for them to revisit their old home, for them to have the flashback, have Urizen's bossfight take place in the illusion of their old home and to basically reestablish the old adage of the Dante/Vergil relationship from its roots. And yet the story never quite landed what I call the 'Shadow Moses' moment where we see those things happen, but as it happens - it never lingers enough. On paper I can kinda see where they're going for, where they go back to the roots of where it all started for Dante/Vergil but in execution? It wasn't great.

Same with Nero's beats. The relationship between himself/Dante/Vergil/V. The game explores bits and pieces of their relationship, but we never really get to see any real connection or meaning that is built on top of the relationships that is there. Be it the small friendship that Nero and V built, Dante's attempt to dissuade Nero from pursuing the matter to protect him from patricide, Dante's passing of the torch to Nero, the throwaway aspects of Vergil letting Nero keep the V book, the emotional disraught of Nero's struggle and acceptance of the fact that he has family in the world and how he manages to find it in himself to break out of his shell and not accept the pre-determination of the Dante/Vergil squabble. Everything i just wrote there - never really landed with finesse. All the interesting relationship dynamics were touched upon, yet practically all of them never has a great payoff.

I could go on but I think in general those are my main gripes. And I didn't even go into parts that are wasted character involvement/etc where Trish/Lady literally do nothing in the story - the fight between Dante and the Three Familiars which were Mallet Island bosses were interesting as a callback but does nothing much to further the Vergil or Nero Angelo aspects of Vergil's time in DMC1, etc etc.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I mean...DMC1 atmosphere is still king and we all know why, it was supposed to be a Resi game at first.
I understand why so many people don't care about this and of course I know
that the series moved on and tried something different after 1 but to me it's still
unique and special, even though I acknowledge that it's pretty much dated in many other aspects.

This comparison kinda reminds me the KH1 vs the other KH comparion.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
So,i spent like an hour watching character models and reading the notes.
And one thing that caught my attention was Sparda's lore,it says that he split his power on 3 swords,one being Sparda itself.
The other 2 as the description says,are a sword that embodies retaliation(Rebellion?) and the other is named to embody the god of death(Yamato?).
So,are they hinting that the 3 swords can be fused?
And,Yamato+Sparda=Vergil sword?
What does Rebellion do anyway? His Sin DT was the result of same power that gave Dante his first DT in 3(vergil stabs him and the skull thingy in the sword opened his mouth).

Jan 2, 2018
I really think that if there was to be a DMC6,It would revolve around Sparda himself,now,I know that according to the canon he died in unknown circumstances but that's like,I dunno,the perfect setting for revealing he's not.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DMC is a corny as shit series but the stories/writing have always had way more nuance than people give them credit for. DMC3 in particular is fantastic in this regard. So yeah, it's a little disappointing when DMC5 doesn't reach similar heights for what's ostensibly the series' conclusion in the current form. There are some excellently well shot scenes in this game, the scene where Dante tells Nero of his heritage and also every subsequent scene with Nero in it has a whole bunch of energy to their performances that exhibit the hidden nuances of the characters beneath all their bluster (Dante is actually a caring uncle, Nero's absentee dad issues hurt more than expected, etc.) but they really deserve to be in a game with a better story - one where V has much more pathos rather than "I wanna be Vergil again", one that explains Vergil more rather than just him being there cause he has to, and also one that doesn't try being so eager in showing its hand. It's sorta a problem DMC4 had as well, where it pretended Dante was an antagonist for a while, but that game was still better set up for it considering Nero's journey. I agree with the poster who said the flashbacks kinda ruin some pivotal scenes. Did we really need to see the "devil trigger form of third party interrupts character about to die" shit twice? It was obvious the second time that it was Nero, and undercut a tense moment when it seemed like either Dante or Vergil could fall. The pacing is just all over the place.

Oct 25, 2017
DMC5 has lots of missed potential. And it certainly did not exceed every expectations. I Know lots of long time DMC fans that are divided on DMC5, some consider it near perfect and some are quite underwhelmed with the way they treated Lady /Trish, average level design/structure and average storytelling/plot.

DMC will always have the best combat in a game but outside combat there are lots that can be improved in future DMC games.
DMC5 exceeded almost all expectations imo. Even regarding the story.
My gripes with the game are minor if anything.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I also think that some of the fanservice stuff was awesome and hype.

That quite frankly way too many people here spoiled themselves on. And that shits on them.
The fanservice stuff is great but it's not really a substitution for good story. The fact that Vergil is in the game is something people expected since day one of the E3 trailer (hooded guy taking Nero's arm, one of the player characters being named "V"), so the trailer that basically confirms him was more or less a formality.

You have to be careful with overly relying on fanservice as a narrative crutch, that's when you get left with games like Metal Gear Solid 4 where they kind of sacrifice much of their potential in order to do what's basically expected of them. I know that, as a fan, I'd rather have the story element speak for themselves - but to be fair, this is the first DMC game in 10 years and I guess a celebratory victory lap might be okay for most this time.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like what they did with Vergil in this game. Could they have done more with V? Yeah. Was having him broken both literally and figuratively a bit too on the nose in terms of symbolism? Yeah, kinda. That doesn't make it bad though.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I also think that some of the fanservice stuff was awesome and hype.

That quite frankly way too many people here spoiled themselves on. And that shits on them.
This is what I feel like. Fanbases always just expect more nowadays, even if they get the best possible package like in this case. Whatever, I'm having a blast with probably my favorite capcom game ever made 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far my biggest issues are how Trish and Lady were handled.

I also frankly didn't want them to bring back Vergil becuse I knew they'd probably gloss over the thousands of people dead because of him, but I knew that ship sailed after the first trailer.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
I was hoping for action scenes with Lady and Trish going HAM at the very least so yeah it's disappointing we got little with them. I'm hoping the post-game scene with the two of them at the agency hints at something more (DLC or w/e) where we can explore them a bit more.

My ideal post-game DLC setup would be playable missions with Trish, Lady and Vergil and of course, full blown support for all in Bloody Palace. Throw in a couple of new Devil Arms and I'll be satisfied.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I expect the writing to land on the beats that it establishes. Which is why I like DMC3's story more even though DMC5 had way more going for it.

The difference between DMC3 and DMC5 to me is that DMC3 kept it super simple with it basically a huge sibling spat story interwoven with Lady/Arkham stuff. The story was simple but it landed what it needed to do, which was establish Vergil as a badass rival to Dante.

It tried to establish a sense of mystery with Urizen's identity, except all the attempts to keep it hidden was pretty weak. Anyone with established DMC franchise history knows it's Vergil the moment Yamato was retrieved from Nero, and those without DMC franchise knowledge would feel like the story was leading you astride with the identity 'who's Urizen' bits but dragging it out without much suspense.

It wanted to have a sense of history. For it to take place in Dante/Vergil's hometown, for them to revisit their old home, for them to have the flashback, have Urizen's bossfight take place in the illusion of their old home and to basically reestablish the old adage of the Dante/Vergil relationship from its roots. And yet the story never quite landed what I call the 'Shadow Moses' moment where we see those things happen, but as it happens - it never lingers enough. On paper I can kinda see where they're going for, where they go back to the roots of where it all started for Dante/Vergil but in execution? It wasn't great.

Same with Nero's beats. The relationship between himself/Dante/Vergil/V. The game explores bits and pieces of their relationship, but we never really get to see any real connection or meaning that is built on top of the relationships that is there. Be it the small friendship that Nero and V built, Dante's attempt to dissuade Nero from pursuing the matter to protect him from patricide, Dante's passing of the torch to Nero, the throwaway aspects of Vergil letting Nero keep the V book, the emotional disraught of Nero's struggle and acceptance of the fact that he has family in the world and how he manages to find it in himself to break out of his shell and not accept the pre-determination of the Dante/Vergil squabble. Everything i just wrote there - never really landed with finesse. All the interesting relationship dynamics were touched upon, yet practically all of them never has a great payoff.

I could go on but I think in general those are my main gripes. And I didn't even go into parts that are wasted character involvement/etc where Trish/Lady literally do nothing in the story - the fight between Dante and the Three Familiars which were Mallet Island bosses were interesting as a callback but does nothing much to further the Vergil or Nero Angelo aspects of Vergil's time in DMC1, etc etc.

I really liked the game and enjoyed the story more than I expected (especially love V, Griffon, Nico and Nero in this game) but I think you really nailed the problem I had with the story of DMC5. It really feels like the game tries to tell so many things at the same time and while it manages to touch upon some of them and pique players' interest, almost none of them have a satisfying closure.

This is especially true when it comes to Vergil and his relationships and motivations in the game.

Given how the tattoos just fade out mid-design, I guess V is supposed to have full-body tattoos that they didn't bother including because he's only ever seen naked from the waist up?

D1ZY8oxXgAAUq0e.jpg

What the…?!
I always wanted to see Vergil naked. That's as close as I'll ever get, huh? :/

Here is the 3 EX taunts in a more close up view

N1H1u5J.gif

ean1siV.gif

SjLpfYi.gif

What's with all the cringy dancing in 5? ^^ But I have to admit… watching some time… Dante swings quite tempting…

I feel like her one phone call scene near the end of the game where she supports nero emotionally in his time of need is more than she ever did in her on screen appearances in 4 at least

I can overlook it, but that Nero found a phone right there in this situation made me facepalm hard tho. :P

Lmao. Bruh, at least wash your hands until you sit down to eat. <.<

Well, I just finished the game:

1. Easily the second worst Devil May Cry story, with only Devil May Cry 2 beating it out. Even when you lay out the story In your head in it's chronological order, it's still weak because it falls back on "sibling rivalry" or some crap for Vergil beginning this all. We needed to see more of Vergil prior to splitting himself in two, or some monologue after, where he sells this to me better. But, on the order thing...

3. Why why why have so many "mysteries" when you bludgeon the answer to every single one of them in our faces miles before we get to their conclusion?
That they changed Vergil's motivation into this bullshit, I still can't believe it. All thrown away with this mother left me crap, the nonsense of envying Dante's life and both just want to beat the shit out of each other. (And his new clothes are ugly.)

I really watched it that way: It is more than obvious, that Urizen is Vergil. But they also put some effort in pointing out, it's Mundus. (Hell, even one of Morrison's letters is about it.) So I wanted to see if Dante's reaction tells me, what he thinks – fighting against Mundus or Vergil? I was completely torn, and when it was finally made clear, he knew it was Vergil all along, I was ready to flip the table. I know some are fine with him acting this cold, but I can't. It doesn't add up. And I think, people put too much evil on Vergil. (While I, fair enough, tend to defend him too much.) Despite the tower, he never did anything else directly out of his free will. (We still don't know if the tree was really his goal when splitting or his demon side running amok on its own, while his original plan was just to get his dying body strength back with discarding the human side.)
It seems there is a whole cutscene missing between Dante and V, after he dropped Vergil's name about all the questions Dante should have and how he gets in the mood he is in later.

I could go on and on, but at the end of the day I'm disappointed. This was Vergil's return, and the story was told in such a mishmash manner. By the end, I'm not disappointed the game is bad, because it isn't. Gameplay is amazing, and I had a blast once I got Dante into my sweet hands. What I'm disappointed in is how much better it could have been, and how close it was to that greatness.
There are dozens of us .gif

I'm all with you, and it sounds so much better than when I try to express those things. ^^

This is especially true when it comes to Vergil and his relationships and motivations in the game.
I hate it so much. :/ But it's also a question of taste to some degree. I got into a petty argument on another small board over it, writing down why I'm so disappointed with Vergil.
So frankly my hot take is I hate it, while some other guy was fine with it and threw lore at me, to prove me wrong and that I would do the game injustice, what kinda triggered me.
At the end of the day this is no math with clear right and wrong.
(It's still done quite poorly tho.)

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I can't do certain moves and combos with my controller. For some reason it took effort just to do a hold and charge move. Might be my DS4. I should try a different controller and check. Never was able to do a few combos I bought for Nero and Dante that required holding or certain combos. Really irritated me since it ruined my combo grades.

Oct 25, 2017
I stuck to defaults and was able to pull everything off no prob and with finesse. However I also grew up on Monster Hunter claw controls so I'm used to this sort of thing haha
Yeah some inputs still require claw grip (such as charging SDT as Dante for me) but hey, at least people should get the regular charge stuff on the shoulders such as Griffon.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
so i have a few questions, after finishing the game
  • at what point did Dante learn V was vergil's human half? Did V tell him right when he showed up at Devil May Cry to hire dante? Dante clearly knew that urizen was somehow vergil at the first battle in May, so he probably also knew that V was also vergil too right?
  • what was Vergil's goal/plan? he took Nero's arm/Yamato to be able to split himself into human/demon halves. Urizen planted the Qlipoth tree to eat the fruit and become more powerful -- but what did he plan for V to do? after Urizen is defeated in mission 17, V goes up to him and merges with Urizen, revealing a revitalized Vergil. Was that really Vergil's plan all along - to re-merge himself and become healthy again?
  • After vergil beats dante the first time and teleports away, what is vergil doing? Just chilling on top of the tree, aside from waiting for Dante to come?
  • Did the brothers really want to kill each other in Mission 19?
  • Nero just spontaneously regenerated his arm and gained demonic powers because he felt like he had to stop his dad/uncle from killing each other after that phone call with Kyrie?
  • Why are Dante/Vergil stuck in the underworld? Vergil still has Yamato to connect the demonic/human worlds.

It continues to be the most comical fact that Vergil is heavily into poetry. I wonder what Dante's unspoken vice is.
Poems seem a bit odd, but I always saw him as a bookworm, and that seems quite common. That old man's diary about little Verge getting a book from him nearly made me cry. :o
But V is far to edgy in his whole attitude in general.

so i have a few questions, after finishing the game
  • at what point did Dante learn V was vergil's human half? Did V tell him right when he showed up at Devil May Cry to hire dante? Dante clearly knew that urizen was somehow vergil at the first battle in May, so he probably also knew that V was also vergil too right?
  • what was Vergil's goal/plan? he took Nero's arm/Yamato to be able to split himself into human/demon halves. Urizen planted the Qlipoth tree to eat the fruit and become more powerful -- but what did he plan for V to do? after Urizen is defeated in mission 17, V goes up to him and merges with Urizen, revealing a revitalized Vergil. Was that really Vergil's plan all along - to re-merge himself and become healthy again?
  • After vergil beats dante the first time and teleports away, what is vergil doing? Just chilling on top of the tree, aside from waiting for Dante to come?
  • Did the brothers really want to kill each other in Mission 19?
  • Nero just spontaneously regenerated his arm and gained demonic powers because he felt like he had to stop his dad/uncle from killing each other after that phone call with Kyrie?
  • Why are Dante/Vergil stuck in the underworld? Vergil still has Yamato to connect the demonic/human worlds.
- It seems he just realized the moment V is about to ram his cane into Urizen. He had no idea, just knew Urizen is Vergil.
- Can't say for sure. He wanted revenge on Dante but his body was dying, so he split himself. Urizen and the tree could be his demon half acting on its own. If that was his plan already before he stabbed himself, we don't know. (We don't even know how he found out about Nero and Yamato to begin with.) Maybe he thought his human half would just die. If V planed on merging the whole time, we can't say for sure. Maybe in the end the lust for power was still too strong, even in him? Or he was too afraid to die?
- Yes, it seems so.
- My heart wants to say no, but my head says yes. That's at least the strongest vibe I get from the game, and why I'm salty.
- Yes.
- Reasons. Srsly around 5 they gave Yamato power as they saw fit. And the same powers can vanish, when not convenient right now. Just think of what Vergil could have all done, if he would have been able to cut portals in previous games.
DMC story writing at its best once agian. :3

Fraktur

Oct 25, 2017
Is Lucia mentioned in this game (or does she even appear) or is she just meantioned in the prequel story (?)?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
at what point did Dante learn V was vergil's human half?
Literal seconds before the latter became whole again.

what was Vergil's goal/plan? he took Nero's arm/Yamato to be able to split himself into human/demon halves. Urizen planted the Qlipoth tree to eat the fruit and become more powerful -- but what did he plan for V to do?
Vergil's plan was to get rid of his human half in order to become all powerful. But what happened was unexpected, his consciousness/human half, aka V, and the part that made the decision in teh first place, was let go, leaving a demon husk with only two states of mind
-POWER
-FUCK DANTE

That demon half decided to summon the tree in order to create the fruit that would give him more power.

After vergil beats dante the first time and teleports away, what is vergil doing? Just chilling on top of the tree, aside from waiting for Dante to come?
Self reflecting. Something he was incapable of doing before.

Did the brothers really want to kill each other in Mission 19?
Yes.

Nero just spontaneously regenerated his arm and gained demonic powers because he felt like he had to stop his dad/uncle from killing each other after that phone call with Kyrie?
"Lots of weird stuff happened."

Why are Dante/Vergil stuck in the underworld? Vergil still has Yamato to connect the demonic/human worlds.
That part is weird yea. Technically yamato should be able to go back at anytime.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That V is Vergil too? You sure? How?
Aside from the fact that he may be able to recognize that book with its flashy V on the cover his brother hold dear during their childhood.
His dialogues during the scene he gets Sin DT.

V has clearly told Dante the whole story cause Dante in that scene says "If Yamato can separate the man from the devil, then what about Rebellion".

So not only Dante knows about V and Urizen, but he also knows that Vergil used Yamato to do it so that's something that he must've heard from V.

Where was it said that he held this book in their childhood
"Old Man's Diary" report in the gallery.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There was a bit of a wasted opportunity in not reusing some kinda motif or the opening of the Vergil 3 theme from DMC3 when Dante and Vergil are confronting each other in Mission 19. The entire scene is obviously a massive call back to the third game in a "back where we started" sort of way, would probably have won over the fans in an emotional way.

His dialogues during the scene he gets Sin DT.

V has clearly told Dante the whole story cause Dante in that scene says "If Yamato can separate the man from the devil, then what about Rebellion".

So not only Dante knows about V and Urizen, but he also knows that Vergil used Yamato to do it so that's something that he must've heard from V.

Honestly I think Dante's just kinda dense. He knew Vergil separated his humanity but he probably didn't realize V was the human part, or else he'd most likely instantly tell V to stay put while he goes to town on Urizen. It's not like Dante combined two versions of him when he stabbed himself, for all we know him splitting his humanity was just a spiritual over a physical thing.

Oct 28, 2017
Finished it yesterday. Combat was superb as is expected from the franchise (except the infamous 2), environment variety ranged from acceptable to mediocre.

I expected nothing from the storyline (lol @ anyone who expected any of these characters to die in DMC) and had already guessed what the twists and plot was like from the initial E3 and V trailers and was still left disappointed. Plenty of concepts and character development that are introduced then quickly wrapped up, and in general it felt like a franchise course correction like Dual Destinies was for Ace Attorney. Everyone loved Vergil in 3 but we messed up killing him off! Let's bring him back! #whoa him and Dante are now frienemies and fighting in hell until the next sequel! Nero is a badass now but not badass enough to make everything a joke like post-DMC1Dante! Trish and Lady are still there for Horny™! zzzz

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
There was a bit of a wasted opportunity in not reusing some kinda motif or the opening of the Vergil 3 theme from DMC3 when Dante and Vergil are confronting each other in Mission 19. The entire scene is obviously a massive call back to the third game in a "back where we started" sort of way, would probably have won over the fans in an emotional way.

Honestly I think Dante's just kinda dense. He knew Vergil separated his humanity but he probably didn't realize V was the human part, or else he'd most likely instantly tell V to stay put while he goes to town on Urizen. It's not like Dante combined two versions of him when he stabbed himself, for all we know him splitting his humanity was just a spiritual over a physical thing.
I don't think Dante knew V could simply merge back. Urizen had Yamato and, for the whole game, the cane is dissolving enemies.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it yesterday. Combat was superb as is expected from the franchise (except the infamous 2), environment variety ranged from acceptable to mediocre.

I expected nothing from the storyline (lol @ anyone who expected any of these characters to die in DMC) and had already guessed what the twists and plot was like from the initial E3 and V trailers and was still left disappointed. Plenty of concepts and character development that are introduced then quickly wrapped up, and in general it felt like a franchise course correction like Dual Destinies was for Ace Attorney. Everyone loved Vergil in 3 but we messed up killing him off! Let's bring him back! #whoa him and Dante are now frienemies and fighting in hell until the next sequel! Nero is a badass now but not badass enough to make everything a joke like post-DMC1Dante! Trish and Lady are still there for Horny™! zzzz
Thinking about the story, I've come to realize that Capcom have basically had the same way of writing stories for a bit of a while now.

It's essentially a gauntlet of entertaining characters having to go get a thing so they can stop a thing but they're inconvenienced by stuff along the way and fan service moments, only for it to end in a bit of a rushed fashion with no real character development. They sort of try doing it with Nero but it doesn't feel like there's enough payoff there, it's basically 15 hours of "I'm not dead weight" until he finds out Vergil is his dad and then he turns into a bad ass, although I still don't feel his character is any different in the ending than he was at the beginning. It was just another powerup episode.

DMC5's story has pretty much the same story as Street Fighter V and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite when you really think about it. The main difference being of course that the moment-to-moment character interactions are much better directed and written, but the story beats follow almost the exact same formula, which is kinda mindblowing and hilarious to think about.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
So, any ideas as to what L2 and R2 are doing for Vergil? I'm probably forgetting something, but it doesn't seem like those cleanly map to how he was set up in 4SE, and both of them trigger conspicuous non-functional animations at the moment. Of course, it could be due to being unfinished, but it could also indicate something about his final moveset - something involving Doppelganger management, or even DmC stances?

Also, I need to post my favourite shot of unfinished Vergil from the other thread.

hm3ejzp.png

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
It was a bit lame that Nero just spontaneously grew back his arm / got new abilities due to the power of strong determination.

With the previous emphasis on the sword stabs providing awakenings, I thought he was gonna get stabbed by both swords when trying to stop the old timers' fight. That would also be a cliché but it would have been cool.