[Unmarked Spoilers] Devil May Cry 5 - Spoiler Thread (It has begun...)

Jan 11, 2018
He says stuff like "You may have a pretty face, but you're worse than that demon over there" and "In some ways Humans are worse than demons to deal with: Can't use guns or swords with them. And they won't listen to a damn word I say" but never has a contempt for humanity at large. He generally works for free for clients who can't pay, gets himself thrown into a demon infested jail to save someone, and pretty much kills his own brother just to stop him from opening a portal from hell. He can be an asshole, but he does care.

The funniest thing is: That's kinda how they relate to each other. Disagreement? Fight. Agreement? Fight. Bored? Fight. First time meeting each other in years? Fight.
I didn't say contempt. I said he doesn't have a fondness for them, which he doesn't. He's completely apathetic towards them and would rather avoid being around them completely. DMC5 even hints at this when Patty calls him and asks him to attend her 18th birthday party and he doesn't want anything to do with it. He only does what he does to get paid and because he enjoys it. He's not one who goes out of his own way to save every person he can. Yes, he has instances where he can show compassion, but he's not some angel who's going to come swooping in and save you.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say contempt. I said he doesn't have a fondness for them, which he doesn't. He's completely apathetic towards them and would rather avoid being around them completely. DMC5 even hints at this when Patty calls him and asks him to attend her 18th birthday party and he doesn't want anything to do with it. He only does what he does to get paid and because he enjoys it. He's not one who goes out of his own way to save every person he can. Yes, he has instances where he can show compassion, but he's not some angel who's going to come swooping in and save you.
Funny thing is, the novel that also talks about Patty's birthday party also implies he does care about celebrating it with her, just not going to her party because yeah, Dante around a bunch of normal folks.

He talks about wanting to wrap up Urizen quick because even though he's late he has a birthday to celebrate with someone.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course he's not some angel, I already said he's an asshole. He's also lazy above all else. But he's not in it for the pay, because he does over half his jobs for free because most of his clients are poor. I don't think he gets paid more than once during the entire run of the anime. It's why he's constantly in debt. At the end of DMC 4, Trish chastises Dante for letting Lady take advantage of them to which Dante says "Well, we take what we can get, right?"

Jan 11, 2018
Of course he's not some angel, I already said he's an asshole. He's also lazy above all else. But he's not in it for the pay, because he does over half his jobs for free because most of his clients are poor. I don't think he gets paid more than once during the entire run of the anime. It's why he's constantly in debt. At the end of DMC 4, Trish chastises Dante for letting Lady take advantage of them to which Dante says "Well, we take what we can get, right?"
Which leads to my other point of he enjoys it. Dante and Vergil love fighting so much that they'd rather play around as they fight than end it quickly even if that means innocent people are caught in the crossfire. Dante literally smiled and made jokes while the Savior was destroying Fortuna in DMC4 when he could've easily ended it quickly. Again, I'm not saying Dante is incapable of compassion, but that he just doesn't really care for regular people. He'd much rather avoid them than associate with them and he certainly doesn't have any interest in playing the superhero who goes around saving everyone he can.

Funny thing is, the novel that also talks about Patty's birthday party also implies he does care about celebrating it with her, just not going to her party because yeah, Dante around a bunch of normal folks.

He talks about wanting to wrap up Urizen quick because even though he's late he has a birthday to celebrate with someone.
That's pretty much what I'm saying.

Firstly this.
And secondly - do y'all heard her on the phone? That over excited annoying voice? And now imagine a whole room of ppl like that, with lots of alcohol involved... Srsly, you don't have to be an asshole or any sort of trauma to not want to attend that... (Dante's around 41 years old on top.) Heck, I sure wouldn't want to.

Civilians is a thing in general in DMC. They kinda don't exist... 1 was on an island. 2 is an empty town. 3 seems also completely empty. They never seem to take them into account. 4 was the first one to show them at all, with later Trish taking care of them.
The prequel novel of 5 is the first to address colleteral damage in a way, when V tries to rescue as many as possible during the month, and how he explains, why he couldn't do more beforehand and how he regrets it.

Nov 14, 2017
The joke is that Patty is so annoying Dante doesn't want to be less than 100 miles from her , someone didn't watch the animated series :^P

You know, I've been wondering about Vergil's broken horns in SDT and I'm trying to remember why, but nothing's coming to mind. Any ideas?
His horns are inspired by the normal DT design: You can see Dante keeps the hair for instance, and his big horns are the mask growing. Vergil takes a different approach: His big horns are shorter but have energy coming out of them. Both also seem to follow the design of the DMC3 faces (check the black face area and how it keeps the shape when it mixes with the hair).

Also Vergil's seems his normal DT without being held back (vs SDT).