• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was a bit lame that Nero just spontaneously grew back his arm / got new abilities due to the power of strong determination.

With the previous emphasis on the sword stabs providing awakenings, I thought he was gonna get stabbed by both swords when trying to stop the old timers' fight. That would also be a cliché but it would have been cool.
I never thought about that, and you're right, I'm kinda shocked they didn't go that route - especially because we'd already seen the individual abilities of Yamato/Rebellion and it makes sense that Nero is essentially being billed as the "better of Dante/Vergil" in this scenario.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
It was a bit lame that Nero just spontaneously grew back his arm / got new abilities due to the power of strong determination.

With the previous emphasis on the sword stabs providing awakenings, I thought he was gonna get stabbed by both swords when trying to stop the old timers' fight. That would also be a cliché but it would have been cool.

That actually would have been a much more organic way to do it.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think Dante's just kinda dense. He knew Vergil separated his humanity but he probably didn't realize V was the human part, or else he'd most likely instantly tell V to stay put while he goes to town on Urizen. It's not like Dante combined two versions of him when he stabbed himself, for all we know him splitting his humanity was just a spiritual over a physical thing.
Nah, I think V told him everything from the get go. That's why he tells V it's okay to stay back when they reach Urizen.

I think he simply didn't think V would or could merge back with Urizen and realized what V was doing when it was too late.

Velka

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was a bit of a wasted opportunity in not reusing some kinda motif or the opening of the Vergil 3 theme from DMC3 when Dante and Vergil are confronting each other in Mission 19. The entire scene is obviously a massive call back to the third game in a "back where we started" sort of way, would probably have won over the fans in an emotional way.
The fact that there's not a single hint of Devils Never Cry in the game is criminal, I ran around with Vergil battle 2 and I wish there was an option to change boss music too (after you fight them once or something). Can't wait to mod this unmemorable theme out.

Poems seem a bit odd, but I always saw him as a bookworm, and that seems quite common. That old man's diary about little Verge getting a book from him nearly made me cry. :o

- My heart wants to say no, but my head says yes. That's at least the strongest vibe I get from the game, and why I'm salty.

I feel you, the note on the book had me just tugging at my heart, I was happy with the idea that Vergil would have more character to him, at least we got a tiiiiiny bit of that through V? I guess? I love the idea of Vergil being a huge poetry nerd who plays the violin, it fits and I think V was a good representation of a potential "what if", after the reveal, I was just thinking, wow so this is what he could have been, and I do like the fact that V shows regret and desire to fix his mistakes

I can't say the same for Vergil, they had him come back just so he could take become Vegeta, it's even comical.
"If I beat Nero that means I beat Dante!" come on if that is not childish I don't know what it is.

I know that Dmc is a cheesy series, but heck me if DMC3 didn't have nuance to Vergil, their battles were not about jealousy and I feel that somehow they missed that.

I love this silly game, but goddamn I have too many gripes with the narrative. Nero is still a good boy.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So can someone tell me where V book comes from?
An old man gave it to Vergil when he was a kid since he saw how much Vergil loved books, especially poems from William Blake.

There is a very sweet report about this in the gallery after you finish the game.

Here is a little bit of the said report:
Devil_May_Cry_5_20190311194041.png

Where was it said that he held this book in their childhood
It was also mentioned briefly in the prequel novel.

His dialogues during the scene he gets Sin DT.

V has clearly told Dante the whole story cause Dante in that scene says "If Yamato can separate the man from the devil, then what about Rebellion".

So not only Dante knows about V and Urizen, but he also knows that Vergil used Yamato to do it so that's something that he must've heard from V.
Shit, you're right. How does he know? Shoot.
But that turns how he acts towards V pretty harsh and cold at some moments. I don't really get Dante throughout the game, this is so weird.
There is really a long conversation between them in his office missing. .__.

His hips dont lie fam.
Bom chicka wah wah. ( ¬‿¬)
I feel you, the note on the book had me just tugging at my heart, I was happy with the idea that Vergil would have more character to him, at least we got a tiiiiiny bit of that through V? I guess? I love the idea of Vergil being a huge poetry nerd who plays the violin, it fits and I think V was a good representation of a potential "what if", after the reveal, I was just thinking, wow so this is what he could have been, and I do like the fact that V shows regret and desire to fix his mistakes

I can't say the same for Vergil, they had him come back just so he could take become Vegeta, it's even comical.
"If I beat Nero that means I beat Dante!" come on if that is not childish I don't know what it is.

I know that Dmc is a cheesy series, but heck me if DMC3 didn't have nuance to Vergil, their battles were not about jealousy and I feel that somehow they missed that.

I love this silly game, but goddamn I have too many gripes with the narrative.
V himself is waaay too much of everything for me. But I pictured his part of Vergil all along, that he has all of this in him and only ignores it because he is so desperate in his search for power. He knows he is doing wrong and don't expect forgiveness in 3. He chose the demon path and stays there. No way back.
I really whish they would have given him some real redemption. V is just the idea of it, but no payoff.

They ruined that. Ruined his old tragic motivation around Eva into all this ridiculous stuff.

Lets hug and sob together for a bit. :o
So can someone tell me where V book comes from?
I would think V was able to find it again in there old home after the split up. No way Vergil had it with him all the years through being chased by demons as a kid and turned into Nelo Angelo later.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I think Dante only realized at the end that V was going to merge back into Urizen. Until then it just looked like both of them were going to die and Vergil wanted to "Fix" his mistake by ending it himself.

Also Vergil returning to full power when both V and Urizen are basically dying is some BS plot device that even Dante couldn't have predicted.

I don't think they wanted to kill each other on Mission 19. It seems weird that they are so buddy buddy after that in the post credit scene.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Dante thinking in his head like

" Ok V is basically dead and Urizen can't beat me , meh w/e go do your thing V"

* Suddenly remembers watching that episode of DBZ where Fusion exponentially increases your power level while also restoring you to full health *

" oh shit , noooo wait "

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Dante thinking in his head like

" Ok V is basically dead and Urizen can't beat me , meh w/e go do your thing V"

* Suddenly remembers watching that episode of DBZ where Fusion exponentially increases your power level while also restoring you to full health *

" oh shit , noooo wait "
lmao
I wonder how did V get enough mula to pay Dante's bills upfront...
Stealing it from people by beating them up. That part is covered in the novel.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
God, I got my first ever D rank. Son of Sparda mode, mission 12. M12 Urizen is far harder than m17 Urizen...

it's those fucking vines. when the crystal is gone you can at least trickster into urizen's face and jump behind him, that seems to spend them as long as you were far away when they started tracking. It's trickier when the crystal is out but trickster manages for the most part

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Rofl WTF.... I thought Vergil wouldn't resort to petty shit like stealing. The cash thing seems soo unnecessary Its not like Dante would have been like "nope , not gonna stop that giant demon thats gonna destroy mankind until I get my toilet working"

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
V just wanted to help Dante out with his bills, he'd be out on the street if others didn't keep interfering for him.

So regarding V... When he reaches his old home with Nero, he starts to tell him about it. He says he just remembered, but I'm not sure if that's not just an act.
He says, the town was attacked before. "In fact I was playing right here". And I assume, he really means, he was playing there when the demons came. When he points to the house you can see, how far away it was. No wonder Eva had no idea were he was and no chance of finding him.
Makes his claim even more strange of being abandoned.

Does anyone have an idea who it is V means when saying Nero's not the only one to think seeking out Sparda is a bad idea?

Playing with the idea of Dante knowing V is Vergil all along, I noticed, when he fake-stab-wakes him, V says "I know how stubborn you can be."
And Dante doesn't react. They hardly know each other, so it's kinda strange.
It would also explain how Dante isn't surprised by Nero missing an arm. I'm not sure if they were so close that Kyrie would have called him - and the line was dead all the days anyway.
Sometimes I'm not sure if they really hid those things on purpose or just didn't realize them themselves while writing, and it's just some kind of mistake. Like Dante knowing about Yamatos seperating power.

Kudos to the people on the cinematics team who were responsible for this shot btw:
8pQbK8K.gif
It's also funny how they tease each other when entering the tree with Dante. When the mission starts, you can see them up ahead, Lady tipping on Trish's left shoulder from behind her right. ^^
Rofl WTF.... I thought Vergil wouldn't resort to petty shit like stealing. The cash thing seems soo unnecessary Its not like Dante would have been like "nope , not gonna stop that giant demon thats gonna destroy mankind until I get my toilet working"
It's even addressed in the novel. Morrison says, Dante would take jobs about demons without payment, but cause jobs were rare the last months, it would help.
I'm not sure why V even goes to Morrison first and not just hires Dante directly. He knows where Dante lives, but he shouldn't know Morrison beforehand.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
It's even addressed in the novel. Morrison says, Dante would take jobs about demons without payment, but cause jobs were rare the last months, it would help.
I'm not sure why V even goes to Morrison first and not just hires Dante directly. He knows where Dante lives, but he shouldn't know Morrison beforehand.

Lol Vergil caring for his little brother's well being.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Ok Dante and Vergil being stuck in hell is bothering me more and more. Vergil tells Dante that they have plenty of time to settle their differences while they're there, implying that they really are stuck. But why? You have Yamato you idiot.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
it's those fucking vines. when the crystal is gone you can at least trickster into urizen's face and jump behind him, that seems to spend them as long as you were far away when they started tracking. It's trickier when the crystal is out but trickster manages for the most part

Yeah, gives me bad flashbacks to Arkham. I feel like Trickster is a bit of a double-edged sword because while being able to teleport closer to the enemy on the spot is useful for closing distances, I can't count the amount of times a bit of poor judgment on my part has warped straight forward into an attack when I should have just dashed to the side, lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Dante & Vergil are manchildren so both of them being stuck Stylishly Fighting endlessly in a poorly designed monochrome battle arena despite being able to easily get out of it is the best ending for them as characters and the post-DMC1 DMC franchise. (They'll be back.)

Make this the final main continuity game and bring back DmC, Itsuno.

eizmgQM.gif

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
so i have a few questions, after finishing the game
  • at what point did Dante learn V was vergil's human half? Did V tell him right when he showed up at Devil May Cry to hire dante? Dante clearly knew that urizen was somehow vergil at the first battle in May, so he probably also knew that V was also vergil too right?
  • what was Vergil's goal/plan? he took Nero's arm/Yamato to be able to split himself into human/demon halves. Urizen planted the Qlipoth tree to eat the fruit and become more powerful -- but what did he plan for V to do? after Urizen is defeated in mission 17, V goes up to him and merges with Urizen, revealing a revitalized Vergil. Was that really Vergil's plan all along - to re-merge himself and become healthy again?
  • After vergil beats dante the first time and teleports away, what is vergil doing? Just chilling on top of the tree, aside from waiting for Dante to come?
  • Did the brothers really want to kill each other in Mission 19?
  • Nero just spontaneously regenerated his arm and gained demonic powers because he felt like he had to stop his dad/uncle from killing each other after that phone call with Kyrie?
  • Why are Dante/Vergil stuck in the underworld? Vergil still has Yamato to connect the demonic/human worlds.

1-Dante knew that Urizen was Vergil.
Check the cutscene when they meet in dante's office,near the end you can see a closeup to V's mouth and he is about to say the name 'Vergil'.
This is reinforced by dante's line inside the tree, 'i guess i'll get to see it with my own eyes,if it really is you..'
Nero only knows him by the name of Urizen,which is a made-up name based on a wordplay of V's phrase 'YourReason'.
I think Dante figure it out before the fight with super Urizen because Dante tells him 'you lost the little of humanity you had left',although it feels ambiguous i think it makes sense because he allowed V to give the final blow,why would he do that? it's his brother after all,and V was supposedly a total stranger.
That,and because Dante never questioned V's condition near the end of the game,dying or fading away.

2- For starters,it's unclear if both V and Urizen are controlled like puppets by the real Vergil, or if they simply acted by their own will like 2 independent beings(even if they're some remnants of Vergil in them,like their need for more power).
Vergil's goal was to get rid off his humanity because he thought it was holding him back,V was born as a side effect imo and never planned to begin with(just like Nero).
Whatever happens next(open the gate,grow the tree and kill millions etc) is unclear if it was part of his plan,maybe he just wanted to be a full demon and that's it but knowing Vergil i bet that obtaining the demon fruit was his goal all along.
V's action throughout the game are also unclear,was he planning to really kill Urizen? or was he just manipulating everyone to do the dirty job?
V was running out of time,he needed to join his other side again to survive but he was too weak to defeat it.
Maybe he actually had the best intentions but fell to the temptation of power near the end,we don't know.

3&4 - Yes to both questions.

5 - Yeah,Nero was indecisive about what to do with Vergil,help dante to kill him or follow his heart about what's right(yeah,corny as fuck).
Talking with Kyrie cooled him off and reinforced his decision of not following the same path of his uncle and father.
Then he remembered about failing to save Credo,which was his only friend from his childhood(yeah,dmc4 did a shit job about making that clear).
He also said vergil's phrase mid-game 'without strength, you can't protect anything',so yeah i guess he had that mindset for a long time and seeing the chance to save his father triggered his dt form.

6 - Now this is tricky,because there's a lot of info about Yamato and yet,it's still unclear about what it can/can't do.
It's common knowledge that the sword can cut anything,except lady's kalina ann in dmc3 for some reason, but it was never stated that Vergil can cut in any random place to create a portal to go back and forth between hell and the human world.
And yes,he did open a portal after cutting nero's arm but he went to RedGrave city with it so maybe it's not the same as travelling between both worlds.
Afaik,Yamato can open/close/destroy doors(Hellgates,like the one in Fortuna) that connect human and demons,but how can they come back if there're no doors to begin with? that's what Nero was talking about imo.
My theory is that there was a gate in RedGrave city and that's why Vergil went there in the first place.

In the end,i think they know they can come back,Vergil even said that he won't lose the rematch with Nero so he knows it's possible..maybe the problem lies in finding another hellgate inside the demon world,it could take years/decades or something.

Sorry for the big wall of text.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nero only knows him by the name of Urizen,which is a made-up name based on a wordplay of V's phrase 'YourReason'.
What? No it's not. Urizen comes from the works of William Blake, the poet V is constantly quoting throughout the game. It works on multiple levels considering the way events play out in the game.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
What? No it's not. Urizen comes from the works of William Blake, the poet V is constantly quoting throughout the game. It works on multiple levels considering the way events play out in the game.

Oh yeah, dumb me...but it does look like a wordplay imo.
Totally not made-up though,sorry for that.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
To everyone saying Yes for the brothers really wanting to kill each other.
What caused the sudden change of heart then ? OR are they still going to fight to the death in the Underworld.

Edit : And why would he care about the roots from spreading. Why would he care if the city is destroyed or w/e.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
To everyone saying Yes for the brothers really wanting to kill each other.

What caused the sudden change of heart then ? OR are they still going to fight to the death in the Underworld.

I think at that point before Nero stopped them, they were really gonna go to the death because of all the animosity that had built up between them.

After Nero laid the smack down though, I think it gave them both enough time to go, "hey maybe he's right".

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
While the gameplay is top tier the story in this game is seriously bad. I thought it was initially great but Jesus is it paper thin/bad.

Some seriously lazy plot and writing here. How to pad the game out? Just have different characters run the same areas.

How is Vergil even alive and what a total disappointment him being the antagonist again. He's a demon and dead at the end of dmc1, makes no sense he just pops up an kills himself.

That dude on the chair would have been way better if it weren't vergil. I guess Capcom was just giving the fans what they wanted; any excuse to see Vergil.

So Vergil wanted to gain more power and was prepare to drain the world to achieve this but by the end he wasn't really evil just wanted to kill Dante lol. Thanks vergil for killing millions in a city.

That Vergil fight though was amazing.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the story is kind of stupid but it doesn't bother me here just because the game is just focused on fanservice and it delivers. It would have been better if Urizen was like Mundus' general who killed Eva and that prompts the boys to get back together. Plus a hentai tentacle eye demon isn't really what I would expect Vergil's demon-side to look like.

Dude I don't even know why Vergil is alive but seeing and fighting him was so hype I don't even mind.

Ok Dante and Vergil being stuck in hell is bothering me more and more. Vergil tells Dante that they have plenty of time to settle their differences while they're there, implying that they really are stuck. But why? You have Yamato you idiot.

Vergil is so deadbeat he'd rather stay in hell than deal with his son.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
So Vergil wanted to gain more power and was prepare to drain the world to achieve this but by the end he wasn't really evil just wanted to kill Dante lol. Thanks vergil for killing millions in a city.

That Vergil fight though was amazing.

Ehhh it is not that bad. V and Urizen are not Vergil. They have different intentions/personality.
I think V genuinely wanted to destroy Urizen , but in his final moments gave into his temptation ( the common idea of gaining more Power )

Vergil was dying so he split himself into his Demon and Human form ( His Human form coming out was unintentional as he thought he would just become full demon). His Demon form could then use the blood of humans to "resurrect" himself and gain more power. I guess half demons can't do that.
They should have put more effort into Urizen though , and fleshed him out a bit more. And also Vergils backstory on how he came to that state after the whole Nelo Angelo bit.

I feel like they just wanted to redeem Vergil. This was basically his "Majin Vegeta" moment.

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
If I were to fanfic rewrite DMC5 in what I think is a relatively low-cost simple way that wouldn't had costed a ton of money, I'd honestly switch Urizen with Mundus.

Make it so that Urizen is Mundus reborn, but in realising that he is weaker than Dante - his rebirth also has him reviving his DMC1 underlings from the dead and absorbing their essence into them. And V ( along with weakened Griffon/Shadow/Nightmare ) were 'ejected' from the reborn Mundus as unnecessary extras.

In this revised storyline, V/Vergil's motivations is solely to get back at Mundus who stole his power ( even if it revived him ) and wanting to restore himself back. And his familiars are begrudging allies along the way. And Urizen/Mundus is basically just wanting to gain more power so that he can get his revenge against Dante once and for all.

In my opinion, this reshuffling of characters reduces the noise of the interlocked identity and motivation of 3 aspects of Vergil/V/Urizen into just one, pushes away the baggage of 'yooo Vergil's demon side just killed off like hundreds of thousands of humans but nevermind he'll still be redeemed or not treated as a monster at the end' to Mundus, and in general - reduces the vibe of Vergil feeling like a pathetic sore loser who can't get over the fact that he's been defeated twice/etc.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Dante knows v is split from vergil the whole time, right? He makes a comment at one point that indicates he does, I think after the v and Trish scene.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Dunno but she will be the mother of Dante's 3/4 twins for sure in my headcanon

Give one of them Alastor god damn it
I keep thinking how awesome it would be for Dante to have a red haired son to contrast with Nero, and if they were buddy buddy instead of assholes to each other like Dante/Vergil.

That is fanfiction tier wishing but I don't care. It seems awesome in my head

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone mention why Dante's old weapons gained sentience all of the sudden?? Gilgamesh and Artemis were pretty low tier, but I imagine say Lucifer reverting back would pose a huge problem.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I think the presence of King Cerberus confirms that there's not just one demon. I.e there's multiple Artemis'.
Only one caveat: the novel bothered to mention that Trish had Artemis on her during the fight with Urizen.

It'd be feasible to say that Urizen took the Devil Arm and repurposed it as something that would fit his plans (re: stuff a human with a special bloodline in an Angelo-like body for a capable unit).

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
With the previous emphasis on the sword stabs providing awakenings, I thought he was gonna get stabbed by both swords when trying to stop the old timers' fight.
Damn that would've made his awakening a lot more hype. Edit: and reasonable!!

I think the presence of King Cerberus confirms that there's not just one demon. I.e there's multiple Artemis'.
Yeah you're right I forgot about the multiple demons part, like in DMC4 there was an army of Dagons.

Last edited: