• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
What weapon is Trish supposed to use now tho

They could have had her just take Cavaliere's sword if it wasn't destroyed, because it can channel her lightning in a way that might be interesting for a unique moveset, but the real answer is that what weapon she uses doesn't matter because she's just there to get beaten up, captured and stripped.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this just there and thought it was anticlimactic and that the story was really bad to be honest.

Like the graphics, presentation, combat, boss fights and music were incredible but the levels were bland and the story was frustratingly bad.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
He sold it off, but Alastor being miffed that Dante has ignored him YET AGAIN is an idea ripe for a level or two

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Finished this just there and thought it was anticlimactic and that the story was really bad to be honest.

Like the graphics, presentation, combat, boss fights and music were incredible but the levels were bland and the story was frustratingly bad.

I feel exactly this.
I loved everything but the story and the levels to me were "okay". I won't lie though, I did love Nico and thought she added a lot of character to the game and it was something I fully enjoyed. To me this game was everything else and then the story came second (in terms of interests).

(edit) I also felt like the beginning dragged on a little longer than I liked. I wanted to play as Dante, I didn't necessarily enjoy playing as V or Nero all that much in the game. So getting to the point where I can play as Dante midgame kind of slugged on for me and made it a little harder to enjoy.

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh used so many continues for M20 on SoS. How the hell are you supposed to do this without royal guard? DMD is gonna eat me alive.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Dante doesn't have alastor anymore he sold it to Enzo.
That wouldn't stop Trish from taking it, she knows where Enzo is.

Lady should've had Pandora, that thing is perfect for a gun nut like her. Give her a devil arm dammnit.

I just thought of Spiral and now I'm wondering, what the hell was that thing doing in the Temen Ni Gru? It doesn't seem to be a devil arm, just a normal ass rifle

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching Max's stream:

- Dante forgetting he has trickster when rushing to V crouching on Urizen lol
- Dante being fine with killing his brother but drawing a line at having his nephew kill his dad

Not really 'problems' per say but kinda amusing

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I get Dante has debts and stuff but how the hell does he not have water and electric. That's what like 200 bucks at most. Jesus he needs to go on welfare or something. Can you imagine Dante getting a government check? Can you imagine Dante filling his taxes. Sir what is your business exactly and how much do you make a year?

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I get Dante has debts and stuff but how the hell does he not have water and electric. That's what like 200 bucks at most. Jesus he needs to go on welfare or something. Can you imagine Dante getting a government check? Can you imagine Dante filling his taxes. Sir what is your business exactly and how much do you make a year?

In 2001, it was arranged something like this.

We don't know if his coats cost $10,000 then, though...

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Rewatching Max's stream:

- Dante being fine with killing his brother but drawing a line at having his nephew kill his dad

Dante being fine with killing his brother but not wanting nero to makes perfect sense to me. He doesnt want nero to have the same fate that he has of fighting his only family member (well nero is now, but before vergil was all he had)

Dantes just numb to it at this point

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Really amazing game overall, yea in terms it was not as good as 3 but good I love playing as nero and his character.

Nero & Nico are an amazing duo and I loved every single moment that they had together

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching Max's stream:

It's Dante's unfinished business

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Wasn't this Vietiful Joe exclusive?

Pretty sure Itsuno said like two weeks before DMC5 came out that it's still the case and he sold them to Enzo. Or its written in the DMC5 prologue novel that came out right before the game.

Yep was Itsuno that said it a couple weeks back in an interview with JeuxActu

Last edited:

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Itsuno said like two weeks before DMC5 came out that it's still the case and he sold them to Enzo. Or its written in the DMC5 prologue novel that came out right before the game.

Yep was Itsuno that said it a couple weeks back in an interview with JeuxActu

Do you have a link?

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Given the choice to use different face models for Vergil and Dante, it's interesting to compare them with the swapped hairstyles - you'd definitely have needed to flatten it down similar to Sparda's hair to make it work if they were both using Dante's model.

16-1552442393-1636237376.png

12-1552432735-473728864.png

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
'Dante' actually looks a lot better in that first image. Should have gone with that look for Vergil.

Current Vergil looks goofy as hell. Vergil with Dante's hair is even worse.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Given the choice to use different face models for Vergil and Dante, it's interesting to compare them with the swapped hairstyles - you'd definitely have needed to flatten it down similar to Sparda's hair to make it work if they were both using Dante's model.

16-1552442393-1636237376.png

12-1552432735-473728864.png
Wow. Does the physics still work?
Vergil looks cool.

So this is a video with Vergil's face switched with Dante's. I didn't think it'll work as well as it does. Though there are still problems.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they'll design an all new main weapon for Trish if there's a DLC based on the mission Morrison gives her and Lady. If she's just DLC for BP then I could see her having Sparda again.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Episode 2 of the anime has a demon who disguised himself as a blonde guy who preys on woman by taking them out to dinner and then feeding on them.

And he's voiced by Vic Mignogna.

Yeah.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Both Dante and Nero had this great evolution of combat over the course of the game, I was so disappointed that nothing changed with V.

I totally expected him to get yamoto and his O attack to turn in to classic vergil combos. Like Dante's dark slayer style in 4.

V kills my enthusiasm to replay 5, his parts of the game make me turn it off every time.

Is it just me did anyone expect cavilier boss to be a alastor from dmc1. His lighting abilities and sword and devil wings gave me vibes for a reveal.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I just found out that Balrog speaks,between the music and all the noise during battles i didn't notice.

In the end,i think they know they can come back,Vergil even said that he won't lose the rematch with Nero so he knows it's possible..maybe the problem lies in finding another hellgate inside the demon world,it could take years/decades or something.
On the other hand the prequel novel says Balrog was able to travel back and forth with just a mere shard of Yamato for years. One portal even stayed open long enough for Dante to find it and use it.

Maybe it's some kind of Pirates of the Caribbean thing, that curse Orlando Bloom gets from his father, and Dante and Vergil are only allowed out once a month for some shopping and then go right back to hell :P
In 2001, it was arranged something like this.

We don't know if his coats cost $10,000 then, though...
And there is still the money missing he gives to Enzo, cause he cut of his arm (CD Drama) and the money he sends to Grue's daugthers (Prequel novel).
Patty isn't covered either. Man, sometimes I think, Dante is to good for his own good. :p

Oh my, all this stuff is awesome! I always prefered Dante's hairstyle and love it, when Vergil's hair gets wet in 3.
The face is killing it tho. :o

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
1-Dante knew that Urizen was Vergil.
Check the cutscene when they meet in dante's office,near the end you can see a closeup to V's mouth and he is about to say the name 'Vergil'.
This is reinforced by dante's line inside the tree, 'i guess i'll get to see it with my own eyes,if it really is you..'
Nero only knows him by the name of Urizen,which is a made-up name based on a wordplay of V's phrase 'YourReason'.
I think Dante figure it out before the fight with super Urizen because Dante tells him 'you lost the little of humanity you had left',although it feels ambiguous i think it makes sense because he allowed V to give the final blow,why would he do that? it's his brother after all,and V was supposedly a total stranger.
That,and because Dante never questioned V's condition near the end of the game,dying or fading away.

Dante actually knows that V is Vergil's human side as well. Look at the scene where he stabs himself with Rebellion. V has clealy told him about Vergil using Yamato to separate his devil form from his human side, hence why Dante wonders if that's Yamato's ability then what about Rebellion.

I think he lets V stab Urzien cause he thought Vergil's human side wanted to right Vergil's wrongs (which he does) but what he didn't know was V's idea was to join back with Urizen and atone for his sins when he is a whole again as Vergil. So when V reads that poem about joining back Dante realizes what is about to happen and goes "OH SHIT", but it's too late.

To everyone saying Yes for the brothers really wanting to kill each other.
What caused the sudden change of heart then ? OR are they still going to fight to the death in the Underworld.

Edit : And why would he care about the roots from spreading. Why would he care if the city is destroyed or w/e.
For me it is the whole vibe the game gives back and forth.
Vergil's whole goal is to get back to health and strength, just to fight Dante. He does it in his own stylish and fair manner after merged, waiting for him at the top, saying Dante to gather his shit first. But he is pretty dead serious from the very beginning.
Dante on the other hand talks about killing Vergil the whole time. That's why he doesn't want to have Nero there. He calls Vergil names, even when no one's there, he would feel the need to act tough in front. He doesn't show too much effort to not go all out on Vergil.
About the sudden change of heart: Flawed writing + rushed ending.

The fruit is gone, so the tree lost its meaing. No need in keeping it, and it would be a nuisance as he says, so Vergil is fine with cutting it. He's never been a blind psychopath. He does, what gets him to his goal and he gains no benefits from the tree further growing. (It is still not sure how much of the original Vergil foresaw the whole tree stuff when splitting.) You could also say, that this shows the little good that's always been in him.

If I were to fanfic rewrite DMC5 in what I think is a relatively low-cost simple way that wouldn't had costed a ton of money, I'd honestly switch Urizen with Mundus.

Make it so that Urizen is Mundus reborn, but in realising that he is weaker than Dante - his rebirth also has him reviving his DMC1 underlings from the dead and absorbing their essence into them. And V ( along with weakened Griffon/Shadow/Nightmare ) were 'ejected' from the reborn Mundus as unnecessary extras.

In this revised storyline, V/Vergil's motivations is solely to get back at Mundus who stole his power ( even if it revived him ) and wanting to restore himself back. And his familiars are begrudging allies along the way. And Urizen/Mundus is basically just wanting to gain more power so that he can get his revenge against Dante once and for all.

In my opinion, this reshuffling of characters reduces the noise of the interlocked identity and motivation of 3 aspects of Vergil/V/Urizen into just one, pushes away the baggage of 'yooo Vergil's demon side just killed off like hundreds of thousands of humans but nevermind he'll still be redeemed or not treated as a monster at the end' to Mundus, and in general - reduces the vibe of Vergil feeling like a pathetic sore loser who can't get over the fact that he's been defeated twice/etc.
Yeah, keep it clean and simple. 4 seemed too cramped for them to handle already, so I was unsure about 5 when more and more surfaced.
Honestly, I only wanted them to bring Vergil back, with what ever stupid reason I shall not mind and then have him fucking redeem himself.
After the first trailer, I hoped he would do his own thing unseen in the back, observing. Let him be the one to cut out Dante of his coma prison, without anyone knowing. And then jump in during the final fight to help and maybe in the end give his life to save Dante or go into hell to seal from that side as sacrifice.
Is that so hard?!

Dante knows v is split from vergil the whole time, right? He makes a comment at one point that indicates he does, I think after the v and Trish scene.
I'm still super torn regarding this matter and Dante's actions in general. :/
What does he really know? What mood does he get from it? There are a tons of possiblities what V could have told him and what not. Dante is not sure enough to not test Urizen with using Jackpot. But it should tell him then, V told him the truth. But how much of it? The whole story of the arm rip off and split in two? Everything of that or only some bits? Does he know i.e. that Vergil's goal is revenge on him?
Dante could know Yamato had this power all along without being told by V. But on the other hand it is quite strange that he drops it at that very place.
Shouldn't Dante be surprised, seeing Nero with one arm less than last time?

Whatever I go by, how much he does or doesn't know – there seems to be something missing; always something feels off and contradicting.
I'm never sure if it is an intentional hint, a mistake by the author or – and I think, that's most likely – it is due to them trying to play hide and seek with us.
It is obvious, that Urizen is Vergil and Dante knows from the start. We all know. But then again they want to keep some mystery. Are you really sure you know it?
And so they start to throw vague stuff in, leading to mysterious dialogues and misleading actions on purpose, which don't match anymore, when the curtain is finally lifted.

V is a bit similar. How much memories does he have? It seems, he knows everything, but he acts like he just remembered he used to live in Red Grave. When they see the Angelos for the first time, he reacts quite strongly, as if it just hit him.
More hints for the player then useful interactions.

I'd say that is one reason why the whole story and the writing doesn't feel too good and misses the payoff quite often.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Dante actually knows that V is Vergil's human side as well. Look at the scene where he stabs himself with Rebellion. V has clealy told him about Vergil using Yamato to separate his devil form from his human side, hence why Dante wonders if that's Yamato's ability then what about Rebellion.

I think he lets V stab Urzien cause he thought Vergil's human side wanted to right Vergil's wrongs (which he does) but what he didn't know was V's idea was to join back with Urizen and atone for his sins when he is a whole again as Vergil. So when V reads that poem about joining back Dante realizes what is about to happen and goes "OH SHIT", but it's too late.
That makes sense,nice find.

WalshyB

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I love this game but cant help but feel disappointed with the ending, Dante in 3 seemed to mourn his brother's demise?

But now it's just I'm gonna kill this fuck once and for all and vergil is made to act like his only goal is to fuck up dante. I just didn't like it.

The "if I beat nero then i beat dante by default" line went further to ruin it for me.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Ehhh it is not that bad. V and Urizen are not Vergil. They have different intentions/personality.
I think V genuinely wanted to destroy Urizen , but in his final moments gave into his temptation ( the common idea of gaining more Power )

Vergil was dying so he split himself into his Demon and Human form ( His Human form coming out was unintentional as he thought he would just become full demon). His Demon form could then use the blood of humans to "resurrect" himself and gain more power. I guess half demons can't do that.
They should have put more effort into Urizen though , and fleshed him out a bit more. And also Vergils backstory on how he came to that state after the whole Nelo Angelo bit.

I feel like they just wanted to redeem Vergil. This was basically his "Majin Vegeta" moment.

You sure Urizen isn't vergil? Because in Urizens final encounter he calls him brother and repeats Vergil's verbal garbage about more powa. During the fight Urizen even asks Dante how he got so strong.

Oct 26, 2017
If I were to fanfic rewrite DMC5 in what I think is a relatively low-cost simple way that wouldn't had costed a ton of money, I'd honestly switch Urizen with Mundus.

Make it so that Urizen is Mundus reborn, but in realising that he is weaker than Dante - his rebirth also has him reviving his DMC1 underlings from the dead and absorbing their essence into them. And V ( along with weakened Griffon/Shadow/Nightmare ) were 'ejected' from the reborn Mundus as unnecessary extras.

In this revised storyline, V/Vergil's motivations is solely to get back at Mundus who stole his power ( even if it revived him ) and wanting to restore himself back. And his familiars are begrudging allies along the way. And Urizen/Mundus is basically just wanting to gain more power so that he can get his revenge against Dante once and for all.

In my opinion, this reshuffling of characters reduces the noise of the interlocked identity and motivation of 3 aspects of Vergil/V/Urizen into just one, pushes away the baggage of 'yooo Vergil's demon side just killed off like hundreds of thousands of humans but nevermind he'll still be redeemed or not treated as a monster at the end' to Mundus, and in general - reduces the vibe of Vergil feeling like a pathetic sore loser who can't get over the fact that he's been defeated twice/etc.
I like this post and decided to come up with my own fanfic. I came in with the idea that I would want to make the least amount of changes with the largest impact that hit on what I consider the game's greatest weaknesses. In order to this, I would change two things:

1. Vergil does not split himself for some lame, "I have to be stronger," reasoning. Instead, he sepearates himself because of the fact he is weak/dying after being free of Mundus, and he believes it is because his demon-half can't survive any further without Mundus after what Mundus did to him. He splits himself to at least survive, and only realizes afterwards that it was his humanity that was dying and that he fucked up. Or something like this. I like the idea that the split was for survival's sake.

2. Vergil comes to Dante as---PLOT TWIST---Vergil. Weakened, human Vergil. And he comes to him because he needs help merging himself back into one. One of the biggest disappointments of the game is that we have few nteractions with Dante and Vergil, and when we do, it boils down to sibling rivalry silliness. I enjoy the rivalry! I love it! But we needed more than that. To have a full game with Vergil's weak ass tagging along, being able to converse with Dante and Nero, gives us so much opportunity for juicy scenes. Emotional, funny, whatever. This can also lead to a tragic ending. As Urizen absorbs more blood and grows in strength, Vergil can voice fear---when they were one, they were both a side of a coin. Equals. With Urizen growing so strong, and Vergil only weaker, would Vergil be able to control himself when they became one ? And of course, for drama, when Vergil does merge back with Urizen in the end, he can't. Not that well. So when Dante and Vergil do fight in the end, it's real. It's not a joke. It's not pure sibling rivalry. It's a Vergil who has to finally reconcile the hate (the demon) that has grown even stronger inside of him, which has it's focus on Dante. And only his son stepping in at the last minute can break Vergil from his hate. (And in order for the Nero moment to work, Vergil shouldn't know Nero is his son until this ending scene).

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this game is fantastically fun but I can't help but feel that they did Vergil dirty (given that he's pretty well redeemed at the end of DMC3 and that what we see of him in DMC1 isn't really Vergil in control of things).

Still, it is what it is, and if it helps deliver more ridiculously fun games in the future I can't be mad about it. They could do worse than basically repeating his character beats from the end of DMC3 again.

I'd still like to see some sort of even-bigger-threat in the next game that forces Vergil to really team up with everyone else. There's a bunch in this game that hints at him being deeply lonely (just like Nero growing up as an orphan), and it'd be a great character beat for him to find companionship with everyone else and struggle to make that work with who he's become.