• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
I like this post and decided to come up with my own fanfic. I came in with the idea that I would want to make the least amount of changes with the largest impact that hit on what I consider the game's greatest weaknesses. In order to this, I would change two things:

1. Vergil does not split himself for some lame, "I have to be stronger," reasoning. Instead, he sepearates himself because of the fact he is weak/dying after being free of Mundus, and he believes it is because his demon-half can't survive any further without Mundus after what Mundus did to him. He splits himself to at least survive, and only realizes afterwards that it was his humanity that was dying and that he fucked up. Or something like this. I like the idea that the split was for survival's sake.

2. Vergil comes to Dante as---PLOT TWIST---Vergil. Weakened, human Vergil. And he comes to him because he needs help merging himself back into one. One of the biggest disappointments of the game is that we have few nteractions with Dante and Vergil, and when we do, it boils down to sibling rivalry silliness. I enjoy the rivalry! I love it! But we needed more than that. To have a full game with Vergil's weak ass tagging along, being able to converse with Dante and Nero, gives us so much opportunity for juicy scenes. Emotional, funny, whatever. This can also lead to a tragic ending. As Urizen absorbs more blood and grows in strength, Vergil can voice fear---when they were one, they were both a side of a coin. Equals. With Urizen growing so strong, and Vergil only weaker, would Vergil be able to control himself when they became one ? And of course, for drama, when Vergil does merge back with Urizen in the end, he can't. Not that well. So when Dante and Vergil do fight in the end, it's real. It's not a joke. It's not pure sibling rivalry. It's a Vergil who has to finally reconcile the hate (the demon) that has grown even stronger inside of him, which has it's focus on Dante. And only his son stepping in at the last minute can break Vergil from his hate. (And in order for the Nero moment to work, Vergil shouldn't know Nero is his son until this ending scene).
Oh yes, I like it! I thought of similar scenarios after the E3 trailer. :o
(I also had the idea of V being some regular guy, who is instructed by Vergil from behind, but that's not usable anymore.)

I'm still struggeling with lots of things, but for now I'm going with this background:
At the end of DMC1 the Nelo Angelo armor explodes and the amulet's chain breaks. That's what Dante sees and thinks him dead. But his real body lands somewhere in the debris and is washed into the sea when the island crumbles. He is washed ashore somewhere after some time, barely alive.
Although Mundus is sealed again, his old curse isn't gone entierly. Vergil has no memory of nothing, just wandering around half dead and tortured by nightmares. Over years he starts to remember things. He then comes close to Fortuna by chance (prequel novel says, Yamato was washed ashore there. So it should be not too far away from Mallet Island, and Vergil could end up in that region as well.) and start to sense Yamato. He observes Nero for a bit, he has no idea what's really going on, and then just walks in and takes back what is his.
Now the sword gives him a lot of memories back the good but also the bad ones. The corruption eats further away on him as well. He goes back home to die where Eva once lost her life for them.
He stabs himself with Yamato to silence Mundus's corruption, to get it out of his body. He can't stand the voices in his head anymore. Just make it stop, even if it means to die. He didn't expect to separate himself like that.
Now his remaining self needs to take actions against that demon part of him, that is still corrupted by Mundus. So he seeks Dante's help.

I'm not sure if he hides his indentity or reveals himself. I'm leaning more towards hiding, because they act so distant in the game, it kinda hurts. (One thing why I struggle so hard with thinking Dante knew the whole time V is also Vergil. He is so mad and pissed at him. :/)
V tells Dante about corrupted Vergil-Urizen, who completely lost his mind to ensure, Dante is ready to kill his brother. Dante uses Jackpot to test if it really is Vergil, like he was told and maybe, how far his mind is really gone. (But I still have to ponder on Dante's hostile actions in the game in general.)

And then I would throw all this "mother abandoned me", "what if we were swapped" and "look, a son!" stuff out.
Also still working on what V and merged Vergil are really after. And how did V know about his demon side using that tree? How did he find Morrison? (Why not go directly to Dante?)

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok how does Vergil even know that Eva just wanted to save Dante?

For real now... What's his problem? He survived after all but how?

Your guess is as good as mine. :/
I still have a hard time with Vergil's logic of Eva abandoning him.
The attack came out of the blue. Dante and Eva were in the house. It seems, he already hid under the bed when she came and put him in the closet. Both didn''t know where Vergil was at the moment. She rushed of to search for him and was quickly killed. (So now Dante could be angry at Vergil for being the reason Eva got killed? ^^)
Maybe Vergil was outside playing? Demons came and chased him away? He got lost during his escape from them?
We have no idea. On the other hand, Vergil has no idea either. He can't know that Eva hid Dante, he wasn't there. Why is he sure, she didn't come for him?
Next is his thought of them being switched. Would that really make such a difference?
In the original story, where he was captured and turned into Nelo for sure. But with DMC3? They both came out of it alive and spend the next years on the run.
The prequel novel states Vergil didn't hide his identity, so Mundus found him sooner and sent demons, Vergil defeated. Later he did the same with Tony, and with them destroyed was sure, it's Dante.
Where is the big difference why he envys his brother?
The attack scene is quite short and doesn't tell much. Isn't it a bit surprising they didn't find Dante in the closet? The house was set on fire as well. Did he just stay in there until the demons left?
So regarding V... When he reaches his old home with Nero, he starts to tell him about it. He says he just remembered, but I'm not sure if that's not just an act.
He says, the town was attacked before. "In fact I was playing right here". And I assume, he really means, he was playing there when the demons came. When he points to the house you can see, how far away it was. No wonder Eva had no idea were he was and no chance of finding him.
Makes his claim even more strange of being abandoned.

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah makes no sense even more if he survived after all

If he would have been captured and tortured or something OK but nothing

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
God, I hate fighting Furies on SoS and above. Any advice on how to deal with these bastards as Dante? For some reason V has no trouble with them but I'm a mess trying to take them down with Dante.

Oct 26, 2017
God, I hate fighting Furies on SoS and above. Any advice on how to deal with these bastards as Dante? For some reason V has no trouble with them but I'm a mess trying to take them down with Dante.
Rose is sick as hell vs them

I got loads of strats to fuck these guys up if you really want them,but i recommend just going into the void and seeing what you can come up with. Their moves may seem fast, but they have smart tells, no BS!

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
DT gives you more active frames in general for parrying them I think; Balrog in punch mode or Cerberus in normal mode are both fairly effective for that IMO. Balrog is really really useful for me as far as its toolkit is concerned; lots of "safe" moves in its moveset for evasion *or* parrying *or* juggling.

Furies make me really happy because they're a great adaptation of the DmC Drakevac archetype into mainline DMC. Even though yes, they take a *lot* more concentration than even most other tougher enemies to take on, IMO (and they've certainly frustrated me many times).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
DT gives you more active frames in general for parrying them I think; Balrog in punch mode or Cerberus in normal mode are both fairly effective for that IMO. Balrog is really really useful for me as far as its toolkit is concerned; lots of "safe" moves in its moveset for evasion *or* parrying *or* juggling.

Furies make me really happy because they're a great adaptation of the DmC Drakevac archetype into mainline DMC. Even though yes, they take a *lot* more concentration than even most other tougher enemies to take on, IMO (and they've certainly frustrated me many times).

THAT'S what they remind me of - the one good enemy from DmC. I was wondering why the design seemed so familiar.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You sure Urizen isn't vergil? Because in Urizens final encounter he calls him brother and repeats Vergil's verbal garbage about more powa. During the fight Urizen even asks Dante how he got so strong.
V and Urizen are both Vergil. Just two extremes of him.
-V is the human side, the one who likes poetry, has empathy, can self reflect and admit where he went wrong. He's the compassionate human side almost to a fault "What evil lurks, I must destroy."
-Urizen is the demon side that craves power more than anything else, without even knowing why, and hates Dante. "I need power."

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
V and Urizen are both Vergil. Just two extremes of him.
-V is the human side, the one who likes poetry, has empathy, can self reflect and admit where he went wrong. He's the compassionate human side almost to a fault "What evil lurks, I must destroy."
-Urizen is the demon side that craves power more than anything else, without even knowing why, and hates Dante. "I need power."

For a little while I actually kind of felt like V was a ploy to get Dante and Nero on his side, but I realized after a while that he wouldn't need to keep that facade up when the other two aren't around and still talks about doing good things when it's just him and the familiars.

I'm still not a hundred percent sure how genuine V actually is (Vergil is still a dick, after all), but on a replay it does seem like he's only lying to them about his true identity. Of course, him stubbornly re-merging with Urizen complicates that, but I'm not entirely sure why Dante is so opposed to that happening either.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
For a little while I actually kind of felt like V was a ploy to get Dante and Nero on his side, but I realized after a while that he wouldn't need to keep that facade up when the other two aren't around and still talks about doing good things when it's just him and the familiars.

I'm still not a hundred percent sure how genuine V actually is (Vergil is still a dick, after all), but on a replay it does seem like he's only lying to them about his true identity. Of course, him stubbornly re-merging with Urizen complicates that, but I'm not entirely sure why Dante is so opposed to that happening either.
I see it as he's 100% genuine but at the same time has an innate desire to return to what he once was since he literally begged Nero to help him.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
You sure Urizen isn't vergil? Because in Urizens final encounter he calls him brother and repeats Vergil's verbal garbage about more powa. During the fight Urizen even asks Dante how he got so strong.

There are similarities between URizen and V ofc , thats why even at the end V says "we are bound by that one feeling". Urizen also says "I have no recollection of this tale" when Dante talks about their past. What am saying is that Vergil is a being that consists of both V and Urizen. So a decision V or Urizen take is not a decision Vergil might do since the other half would stop them.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I see it as he's 100% genuine but at the same time has an innate desire to return to what he once was since he literally begged Nero to help him.

Yeah, that's fair. And he thanked Nero for helping him after being reunited, so his experiences as V are certainly not lost on the reunited version. I guess this really is the beginning of his Vegetafication.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
When your evil but your son snap you out of it. Like what do you do after that? In other media you just kill your dad.

47114CD22CD84CEF7C8354EA63F1ED5591CD72CC

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Given the choice to use different face models for Vergil and Dante, it's interesting to compare them with the swapped hairstyles - you'd definitely have needed to flatten it down similar to Sparda's hair to make it work if they were both using Dante's model.

16-1552442393-1636237376.png

12-1552432735-473728864.png
Good lord Dante with Vergil hair looks great. Why in Sparda's name did they give TWIN brother Vergil a different face? Would've saved some money too.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Vergil isn't truly "Evil" if that makes any sense. He seems like the Vegeta of the series.

Yea what did V mean by "When evil lurks I must destroy" ? seemed kinda random for him.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vergil been in various states of undeath for 30+ years
Makes sense he'd look a bit different from his brother who hasn't

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So do you think Nero's mom would have any sort of importance or we just supposed to buy that stick up his ass Vergil was just a horny teenager?

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Maybe seeing a Nelo Angelo looking enemy caused a harsh reaction?

Was my guess, on a replay. Since Griffon confirmed that he and the other two familiars were representatives of Vergil's trauma from when he was Angelo, it makes sense that V would react quite strongly to seeing things that remind him of that time in his life.

Was she half demon or full demon ? Hard time believing Vergil with a Human given his hate towards them.

If anything, V pretty much proves that Vergil could have feasibly had a rare "moment of weakness", such that he could have allowed himself to at least have a night of passion, if not much else.

Maybe he recited some poetry to her, and that's what got the vickies to drop.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Can I just say that the main menu scene of Dante and Vergil awkwardly sitting in silence in the van is absolutely hilarious.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, instantly thought of Drekavac and the Dreamrunners from DmC, but with a bit less downtime.

To be fair, it's also kind of similar to Blitz, but definitely more Drekavac.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
I think for people that did care for the story of the whole series dmc5 can only be described as a disappointment (at least in that regard).

I find it really baffling that seemingly no one at the studio really cared enough to craft a good and coherent story.

Since some people detailed their fanfic.. Here is my. ^^

Virgil makes it out of hell somehow... Completely wasted and feeling that his power is failing him. He is convinced that he needs the Yamato to stimulate his demonic power to regenerate and seeks out Nero. He takes what he considers rightfully his and teleports away. But the Yamato doesn't provide the aid he was searching for. He is convinced of his death and in a prideful way wants to end his life in the one place he once called home. He stabs himself (because... It is really out of nowhere that he assumes that Yamato is capable of such feat) and gets split.

The actions of the game transpire. (Maybe you don't even play directly as v).
Dante and Nero don't make it in time to prevent the fruit being eaten. V however is successful in semi merging with urizien and it is revealed that he became a singular being and can exist even with Virgil making it back (alternatively the Virgil part of him gets discarded during the transformation process and v is able to fusion back). He gets away and now you have Nero, Virgil and dante working together to stop the new threat. You would have a ton of opportunities for funny scenes.... Especially with dante toying with Virgil about the whole father son thing and Nero being left in the dark. (aka. "we have to split up... You two go together")

In the end they prevail thanks to Nero awakening with the help of Virgil. Virgil challenges dante to a last fight (but not to the death... But to settle it before putting his past life to rest).

You as a player get to choose which site you play as. With Nero being a secret ending and him besting both.

I just think long-time fans really just wanted good fan service and a good feel treatment for the characters.... Well at least that is what I wanted.

If anything, V pretty much proves that Vergil could have feasibly had a rare "moment of weakness", such that he could have allowed himself to at least have a night of passion, if not much else.

There is still the possibility she's been a whore and he was the one being approached.
Also he can't hold his liquor. Throw him a drink and hop in on the fun.

Velka

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was my guess, on a replay. Since Griffon confirmed that he and the other two familiars were representatives of Vergil's trauma from when he was Angelo, it makes sense that V would react quite strongly to seeing things that remind him of that time in his life.

As much as I loved V's familiars, their sacrifice would have had more impact if there was some interaction with Vergil. As much as the game tells us that they represent his nightmares as Nelo Angelo, but we don't really see it in Vergil, so in the end, it feels like their sacrifice didn't have the pathos it deserved.

Also the idea that Vergil would recite Blake's poetry from memory opens up fun possibilities, it would be fun if they developed that in the future, maybe the artbook or a novel?
There is still the possibility she's been a whore and he was the one being approached.
Also he can't hold his liquor. Throw him a drink and hop in on the fun.
My very serious headcanon says that Nero's mom uterus just exploded when she saw Vergil in Fortuna.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Im so sad we wont see V and Griffin again, I loved them, such great additions to the franchise and already gone :(

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Okay. I suck and am pretty stuck on SoS Vergil, but I'm never going to use a gold orb.

The time it takes to skip the option, have the game save, have Dante fall over, pan up, then select "retry", then finally load in the fight is adding way up. It's unbelievably annoying with the amount of downtime here. This should be Tony Hawk Pro Skater levels of speed on these retries.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Im just done with chapter 17 and wanted to driveby post to say Vergil is a huuuuuuge bitch baby LMAO. Probably one of the biggest video game wankers out there. All that bloodshed because of some mommy issues. Legit lmao

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Good lord Dante with Vergil hair looks great. Why in Sparda's name did they give TWIN brother Vergil a different face? Would've saved some money too.

Twins look mildly to pretty different as they get older. Ears nose and forehead change shape as you get older so they won't look 100% identical compared to DMC3

I came across the scene again, where Trish explains the tree to Dante. "V told me everything" And Dante's face is all: Aha, he did, huuuuh?
Man, the fucker knows from the very beginning. But why are all the interactions between him and V so... clunky then? :/

My very serious headcanon says that Nero's mom uterus just exploded when she saw Vergil in Fortuna.
She's full virgin Maria style. Got pregnant from his hot sexy aura just passing by. Behold of the true power of a son of Sparda!
Or maybe that's another power they can give Yamato?

Btw.... Does it y'all bother as much as me putting "the" in front of the sword's names? The Sparda. The Rebellion. The Yamato. I can't help but hate it.
And if I'm not mistaken, they never did it before. That was a thing DmC made me cringe over first.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the Sparda sword, while I like some of the new effects it has (the messiness of it opening into scythe form in particular), I'm not sure if the toothy, more teratoma-like direction really works for the blobby flesh part compared to the more dark and leathery look the meat had before, which contrasted better against the steel - it's more Resident Evil than Silent Hill, if that makes sense. Kind of like swinging around a large uncooked steak, with less of a defined silhouette.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
You need to put a "the" in front of Sparda and Dante at least else we get very turned around on what's being talked about.