• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
The plot itself was pretty simple but im not a fan of how it was told, it was too much JUNE 19, MARCH, JUNE AGAIN etc.etc. it was getting annoying, im not sure why it was so neccessary, and not mjch interesting happens except the fight with Urizen and the ending
I can agree with that. It was especially annoying at the start of the game. Prologue with no arm, flash forward with the breaker, flash back losing the buster. Felt like too much at times, for no real gain. The game wasn't even trying to pretend it wasn't Vergil who took Nero's arm either.

It's not like Memento where the disjointed timeline works as a strong storytelling tool, it's more like Beyond: Two Souls, where it feels like they just shifted things around for no reason. But less annoying than Beyond, because there weren't as many tonal shifts.

But for real, no one can tell me you didn't get warm fuzzy overload from the menu scenes of Vergil hanging out in Nico's van with the other Sparda boys. One of the game's best highlights, not even kidding.

The combat is so damn good that it's easy to find ourselves just talking about it and ignoring the rest, but I truly loved all of these small touches. I spent a lot of time in the gallery, waited to see all of the camera shifts for every pre-mission screen and things like that. They do add a lot.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The plot itself was pretty simple but im not a fan of how it was told, it was too much JUNE 19, MARCH, JUNE AGAIN etc.etc. it was getting annoying, im not sure why it was so neccessary, and not mjch interesting happens except the fight with Urizen and the ending

Yeah, the structure of the plot was annoying. I think the game needed to do a little bit less retreading and a little more worldbuilding and character building. I still didn't feel like I KNEW V by the time he fused back into Vergil.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
IGRvj4J.gif

Capcom made the right choice by adjusting some of Vergil's features.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
These Vergil faceswaps, whether still or in motion

Vuh7CLw.gif

none of them look better than what we got

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Gbraga - since you were asking about coatless variants, it looks like some of the models already have full undershirts.

D1qesgYWsAAiiBp.png

Also, the SDTs' tongues literally look like Bad Dragon products...

D1pP8MBW0AAmziq.jpg

D1sJEDgX0AAMxl7.jpg:large

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, you can buy Dante's tongue for $75.

I'm just trying to decide whether he's more of a Trent or an Apollo (NSFW, obviously).

Did a Capcom employee bring one in to scan?

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
I just need a coat-less Dante. Henley tops are the greatest tops men can wear and we must see that bad boy in full DMC flow whilst wearing Dr Faust. Do not deny me.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It allows them to get results in a shorter time period but is still expensive AF. Remember they don't just scan and call it a day. Lots of work need to go into getting the models finalized.

Yeah, the process is streamlined so it's cheaper, emphasis on the "er" in "cheap". Game Development on this scale is always expensive AF. However, without their current engine, they could never get a DMC game to look this good.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the process is streamlined so it's cheaper, emphasis on the "er" in "cheap". Game Development on this scale is always expensive AF. However, without their current engine, they could never get a DMC game to look this good.
Yep. It's cheaper and easier to get those visuals than through traditional methods, sure, but the thing is, Capcom would never get those visuals through traditional methods, at least for a game that sells like DMC.

It's not the difference between cheap and expensive, it's the difference between expensive and not in a million years.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dante appears to age like a regular human does. And his diet literally solely consists of strawberry sundays, pizza, and Jack Daniels. Dude doesn't even bath on the regular since he can't afford it.

Yeah. They've been a bit back and forth on his aging (DMC 4 novel says he ages like a human, DMC 5 novel implies he doesn't, Kamiya says he doesn't age in Devil form but that would only apply to DMC 1, and so on), but the dude lives like an absolute slob. Makes him look about 10 to 15 years older than he is (mid 40's). Or as Enzo in the DMC 3 manga put it: "Your place smells like ass and corn chips".

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
WHEEE I FINISHED ITTTT
so much damn fun!!! what a ride that was. im about to go right back into it for the plat but wanted to vomit my excitement somewhere askjdfashfl
i honestly found the story to be largely entertaining, bullshit and all. the character acting/interacting is sooooooo good, with griffon and v stealing the show for me so losing them is def a sore point. i cant fathom why matt said we would like v more by the end of the game because if he's referring to vergil i like him even LESS.

it's been said multiple times already yet i still gotta add another echo into the chamber
the women got done real dirty in this game.
on top of that you have those playboy magazines and posters up on dante's wall.....
that in itself would frankly be whatever if all women in the game weren't also treated as props to be ogled.......
it's just not a good look at all

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. They've been a bit back and forth on his aging (DMC 4 novel says he ages like a human, DMC 5 novel implies he doesn't, Kamiya says he doesn't age in Devil form but that would only apply to DMC 1, and so on), but the dude lives like an absolute slob. Makes him look about 10 to 15 years older than he is (mid 40's). Or as Enzo in the DMC 3 manga put it: "Your place smells like ass and corn chips".
Weird, Dante doesn't exactly spend even a significant amount of time in the DT form. Wonder why Kamiya wanted that to be a factor when it came to his aging.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird, Dante doesn't exactly spend even a significant amount of time in the DT form. Wonder why Kamiya wanted that to be a factor when it came to his aging.

Then again, Kamiya says a lot of things on Twitter lol.

He also says Mundus created an entire universe just to fight Dante in. This would place Dante in such another realm of power if it were true that it's dubious at best:

4c2ef3b364267dfdfc8a8e95bda8bc4d.png

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Kamiya also implied Dante/Trish. Let's stop paying attention to him when it comes to DMC at this point.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

He also says Mundus created an entire universe just to fight Dante in. This would place Dante in such another realm of power if it were true that it's dubious at best:

The easiest answer to that is that Kamiya's Dante != Itsuno's Dante.

We effectively got two follow-ups to DMC1, thanks to Bayonetta being one thing, and every other DMC game Itsuno directed as another. It's become much more clear over time that those storylines don't mesh, what with Heaven not even being a thing in Itsuno's world, and even Kamiya's definition of where the "Tony Redgrave" moniker came from not meshing with how DMC5 relates it.

And that's fine, at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
WHY IS THIS GAME SO GOOD!?!?!?

Vergil Mission 19 on DMD is completely ridiculous. Running Royal Guard as usual against (most) bosses and I can easily deal with his first phase. Once he DTs I just suck at parrying multiple Judgement Cuts, especially with him mixing up ground and air timings. If I get that down, I know I can destroy him. That Doppelganger part is also really tough, but even a regular Release seems to oneshot the clone.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
did he? He always made it clear that it was platonic, IIRC

I guess I'm thinking about their Viewtiful Joe inclusion. Looking at things he said on twitter it seems to be ambiguous, with Wikipedia saying that he said Trish wasn't a love interest but the relationship was more than love. Whatever that means.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finally finished it, what a stupid but great ending. Had some issues with the game that I sort of forgot about in those last moments.

I also suck at this game, need to put practice in but havent had the time lately. I think it made the game a bit rougher than it should be for me.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm thinking about their Viewtiful Joe inclusion. Looking at things he said on twitter it seems to be ambiguous, with Wikipedia saying that he said Trish wasn't a love interest but the relationship was more than love. Whatever that means.
Did Kamiya write the Dante campaign in Viewtiful Joe? The entire story was essentially a gag plotline. It's clear Dante and Trish have a complicated relationship, especially since she's basically Dante's mom.

DMC1's entire story is extremely uncanny under the surface. Change a few hooks and you can turn it into a psychological horror.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Kamiya write the Dante campaign in Viewtiful Joe? The entire story was essentially a gag plotline. It's clear Dante and Trish have a complicated relationship, especially since she's basically Dante's mom.

DMC1's entire story is extremely uncanny under the surface. Change a few hooks and you can turn it into a psychological horror.

Well, it was supposed to be RE 4 at a point in time.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

This is why DMC5 was a breath of fresh air, because there was an actual threat. But.....they wrote themselves into the same corner again lol.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it was supposed to be RE 4 at a point in time.
Right, but I wouldn't really call Resi a psychological horror (outside of maybe 7). DMC1 features a lot of story elements that explicitly exists to fuck with Dante's personal psyche (has to fight his possessed brother who he doesn't realize is his brother, is forced to go relive the trauma of his mother through Trish with whom he shares an extremely awkward relationship that can border on romantic interest, the antagonist explicitly employs tricks and tactics that's meant to hit Dante personally, etc).

There's a really uncomfortable malaise to the game in a lot of areas and specific metaphoric depictions that, if it weren't for Kamiya's penchant for crazy action and cheesy writing, would be pretty fucky even by Resi standards. Especially with the art design, you can pawn off DMC1's setup to a different writer and I'm sure you'd get something more cerebral.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I saw a conversation on Reddit that got me thinking.

What do you think Dante's two sides would be like if he got split like Vergil?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The new threat was just Vergil again Mundus needs to come back for DMC VI (maybe with some human followers) he would not be the biggest threat anymore but just enough to give trouble.

Or he comes back but is killed mid game

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Something insanely funny is that after thousands of people have died they play it up like its just a fun brotherly rivalry. Couldnt stop chuckling

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
It'd be the opposite. Monster Dante would probably just be Majin Buu but without the weird vore aspects

I disagree. It's everything about Dante's demonic lineage that causes him to be depressed. He didn't even care about embracing the power he had until Vergil practically "forced" him to.

On the contrary, the human side would probably be just fine having pizza and strawberry sundaes, every day.

Looking through my notes I just realized, Capcom fucked up the dates a bit, they're showing. :o
When Dante & Co walk towards Urizen for the first time, it says 15 May 04:44 PM.
When Nero joins it jumps to 16 May 08:06 PM.
Making the fight last more than a whole day... It should be 16 May from the beginning, Dante fights for 3 hours until Nero arrives, as the novel says.
V recruited Dante 03 May 08:08 PM. And I wonder a bit, why they waited nearly two weeks until they went against Urizen. Yeah, give him time to gather strength, what could possibly go wrong? :P

I hope the V manga will answer some little questions and holes when it comes out next month.