• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When has Dante ever cared about the general populace? All he cares about is killing demons, pizza, strawberry sundaes, and the extremely small circle of associates he has. Hell, he makes a point about humans being even worse than demons in the anime. He doesn't have a fondness for them at all. Same thing with Lady and Trish. Only Nero has ever shown to somewhat care about the population at large, but even then it's pretty minor.

He says stuff like "You may have a pretty face, but you're worse than that demon over there" and "In some ways Humans are worse than demons to deal with: Can't use guns or swords with them. And they won't listen to a damn word I say" but never has a contempt for humanity at large. He generally works for free for clients who can't pay, gets himself thrown into a demon infested jail to save someone, and pretty much kills his own brother just to stop him from opening a portal from hell. He can be an asshole, but he does care.

I like how he says the smartest thing at the very end by pointing out how stupid everyone is fighting each other.

The funniest thing is: That's kinda how they relate to each other. Disagreement? Fight. Agreement? Fight. Bored? Fight. First time meeting each other in years? Fight.

Eva didn't do a good job in terms of telling Dante and Vergil to not hit each other.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
He says stuff like "You may have a pretty face, but you're worse than that demon over there" and "In some ways Humans are worse than demons to deal with: Can't use guns or swords with them. And they won't listen to a damn word I say" but never has a contempt for humanity at large. He generally works for free for clients who can't pay, gets himself thrown into a demon infested jail to save someone, and pretty much kills his own brother just to stop him from opening a portal from hell. He can be an asshole, but he does care.

The funniest thing is: That's kinda how they relate to each other. Disagreement? Fight. Agreement? Fight. Bored? Fight. First time meeting each other in years? Fight.

I didn't say contempt. I said he doesn't have a fondness for them, which he doesn't. He's completely apathetic towards them and would rather avoid being around them completely. DMC5 even hints at this when Patty calls him and asks him to attend her 18th birthday party and he doesn't want anything to do with it. He only does what he does to get paid and because he enjoys it. He's not one who goes out of his own way to save every person he can. Yes, he has instances where he can show compassion, but he's not some angel who's going to come swooping in and save you.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
After recovering from being Norted, Vergil uses his Keyblade on himself to become a Heartless. His Nobody, V, then goes on a journey using the Unversed created from the separation to fight with. V gathers other warriors of light to help him, one of which is a Replica of dante's mom. Meanwhile, vergil waits for kingdom hearts to form to gain more power.

OMFG

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say contempt. I said he doesn't have a fondness for them, which he doesn't. He's completely apathetic towards them and would rather avoid being around them completely. DMC5 even hints at this when Patty calls him and asks him to attend her 18th birthday party and he doesn't want anything to do with it. He only does what he does to get paid and because he enjoys it. He's not one who goes out of his own way to save every person he can. Yes, he has instances where he can show compassion, but he's not some angel who's going to come swooping in and save you.

Funny thing is, the novel that also talks about Patty's birthday party also implies he does care about celebrating it with her, just not going to her party because yeah, Dante around a bunch of normal folks.

He talks about wanting to wrap up Urizen quick because even though he's late he has a birthday to celebrate with someone.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
mGzvtD8.gif

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Of course he's not some angel, I already said he's an asshole. He's also lazy above all else. But he's not in it for the pay, because he does over half his jobs for free because most of his clients are poor. I don't think he gets paid more than once during the entire run of the anime. It's why he's constantly in debt. At the end of DMC 4, Trish chastises Dante for letting Lady take advantage of them to which Dante says "Well, we take what we can get, right?"

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Of course he's not some angel, I already said he's an asshole. He's also lazy above all else. But he's not in it for the pay, because he does over half his jobs for free because most of his clients are poor. I don't think he gets paid more than once during the entire run of the anime. It's why he's constantly in debt. At the end of DMC 4, Trish chastises Dante for letting Lady take advantage of them to which Dante says "Well, we take what we can get, right?"

Which leads to my other point of he enjoys it. Dante and Vergil love fighting so much that they'd rather play around as they fight than end it quickly even if that means innocent people are caught in the crossfire. Dante literally smiled and made jokes while the Savior was destroying Fortuna in DMC4 when he could've easily ended it quickly. Again, I'm not saying Dante is incapable of compassion, but that he just doesn't really care for regular people. He'd much rather avoid them than associate with them and he certainly doesn't have any interest in playing the superhero who goes around saving everyone he can.

Funny thing is, the novel that also talks about Patty's birthday party also implies he does care about celebrating it with her, just not going to her party because yeah, Dante around a bunch of normal folks.

He talks about wanting to wrap up Urizen quick because even though he's late he has a birthday to celebrate with someone.

That's pretty much what I'm saying.

Firstly this.
And secondly - do y'all heard her on the phone? That over excited annoying voice? And now imagine a whole room of ppl like that, with lots of alcohol involved... Srsly, you don't have to be an asshole or any sort of trauma to not want to attend that... (Dante's around 41 years old on top.) Heck, I sure wouldn't want to.

Civilians is a thing in general in DMC. They kinda don't exist... 1 was on an island. 2 is an empty town. 3 seems also completely empty. They never seem to take them into account. 4 was the first one to show them at all, with later Trish taking care of them.
The prequel novel of 5 is the first to address colleteral damage in a way, when V tries to rescue as many as possible during the month, and how he explains, why he couldn't do more beforehand and how he regrets it.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The joke is that Patty is so annoying Dante doesn't want to be less than 100 miles from her , someone didn't watch the animated series :^P

Night Terror

Feb 1, 2018
You know, I've been wondering about Vergil's broken horns in SDT and I'm trying to remember why, but nothing's coming to mind. Any ideas?

His horns are inspired by the normal DT design: You can see Dante keeps the hair for instance, and his big horns are the mask growing. Vergil takes a different approach: His big horns are shorter but have energy coming out of them. Both also seem to follow the design of the DMC3 faces (check the black face area and how it keeps the shape when it mixes with the hair).

Also Vergil's seems his normal DT without being held back (vs SDT).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the most significant thing I learned from this game is that Vergil likes poetry and musicals.

Like can you just imagine him humming "Singing in the rain" while waiting for Dante in DMC3?

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I want a brand new one.

Given the Bloody Palace music is on the soundtrack, I think they'd have already released Vergil's theme if he was going to have a new vocal track - for example, a mix of it for the Dante vs. Vergil battle, then his regular version on the soundtrack prior to his release.

Of course, they could still release it as a single later (especially if there's more substantial DLC to come), but given the way they've been releasing and promoting the vocal tracks, I don't think they'll be doing more post-release.

I think he'll just use V's battle theme - the tracks from previous games associated with it being Vergil's make that seem even more likely.

I feel the most significant thing I learned from this game is that Vergil likes poetry and musicals.

Like can you just imagine him humming "Singing in the rain" while waiting for Dante in DMC3?
Can you imagine him doing it shirtless? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

V is an exaggerated parody of his "good" side as much as Urizen is of his "bad" side. I can't really stand him. :/

Nice little thought before going to bed: Everything went according to Vergil's plan.
He wanted his brother all for himself. He got himself cured from corruption and death. As V he could control what Dante knew. He knew, Dante would tag along into hell.
Now they are together, just the two of them, in the demon world.
Awwww. :3

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Given the Bloody Palace music is on the soundtrack, I think they'd have already released Vergil's theme if he was going to have a new vocal track - for example, a mix of it for the Dante vs. Vergil battle, then his regular version on the soundtrack prior to his release.

Of course, they could still release it as a single later (especially if there's more substantial DLC to come), but given the way they've been releasing and promoting the vocal tracks, I don't think they'll be doing more post-release.

I think he'll just use V's battle theme - the tracks from previous games associated with it being Vergil's make that seem even more likely.

Doesn't matter what his theme would be I would most likely use Vergil battle 2 from DMC3.

Jan 21, 2019
These gifs are just the juiciest thing. I won't be able to get the game until late April at the earliest, and the gifs are making the wait so difficult and awesome.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom just released the Alt hero and heroine costumes that were only available through pre-order. I knew Capcom would not let us down. They did the same for RE2 too. Pre-order bonuses should only exist for a certain period of time and not stay forever. I wished all companies would understand this including PlayStation exclusive games. sadly the costumes cost so much now but at least they exist.
Be careful though they are selling ingame unlockable styles for characters. One of them is for Vergil and another inside a bundle. This kinda reckless because it just spoils the whole game for those who browse the store.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

V is an exaggerated parody of his "good" side as much as Urizen is of his "bad" side. I can't really stand him. :/

Nice little thought before going to bed: Everything went according to Vergil's plan.
He wanted his brother all for himself. He got himself cured from corruption and death. As V he could control what Dante knew. He knew, Dante would tag along into hell.
Now they are together, just the two of them, in the demon world.
Awwww. :3

But V is awesome. He really humanized Vergil.

I mean a lot of what V's likes and feelings are just things that Vergil wanted and is into but he keeps them hidden because he's emotionally constipated.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game a couple days ago, I feel like the story failed completely in the latest chapters. Nero unlocking Super Saiyan was a cool resolution for the character, but Vergil obliterates a whole city, killing possibly hundreds of thousands or even millions, Dante is rightfully out to kill him and at the last moment everything takes the worse turn and it seems like it was all a joke to everyone involved. There were also a couple of cutscenes at the beginning when the roots start breaking through the city and killing bystanders were Nero and V´s priority is coming up with a clever comeback while completely ignoring the people getting slaughtered a few meters from them.

I also didn´t like that the story spends so much time inside the tree, at one point it becomes impossible to differentiate the missions, it´s like there are two locations: on the city or inside the tree. By comparison DMC4 had a city, a castle, a snowy mountain, a mine, an underground laboratory, an enchanted jungle...I would´ve loved a more gothic setting like the tower in DMC3 or the castle in DMC4, I think that´s the most representative setting of the DMC series and it was missing completely. Speaking of DMC4, the first boss is Berial´s cousin...I wish they had used something more different.

Lady and Trish are little more than eye-candy-damsels-in-distress, but I guess you already know what to expect with this series...still I had the hope they would´ve evolved a little, specially after making them playable in DMC4SE.

The graphical design was too obscure, to the point that sometimes everything looks samey and this even impacts gameplay because sometimes it was difficult to see hat was going on when 4 or 5 enemies bunched together around my character. Dante´s coat should red, Nero´s and Vergil´s blue, but they´re all dark, dead tones. I understand that this is an artistic choice, but I would´ve appreciated more color in the backgrounds and in the enemies as well.

Level design is too simple and there is an insane amount of invisible walls every few steps. This is a design technique that should´ve been abandoned a lot of time ago and really hurt exploring.

I feel like Dante´s weapons could´ve been more distinct, there´s nothing really new if we compare them to previous entries or Bayonetta. I´m a bit disappointed that Dante is so similar to his DMC4 incarnation. Nero is great, but I wish the Devil Breakers didn´t break and you could switch between them without sacrificing them, or that thre was some way to get more in the middle of a fight. V was alright, he´s the simplest of them all but his style is the most different, once it´s clicked I´m enjoying it a lot.

I think that my main complaints are that the game has evolved less than I expected (it´s been 11 years!) and that it feels too samey and "realistic", losing a bit of that fantasy it had in previous entries.

After all those negative points, I must say that I fucking love this game and that I´m going to be playing it for quite some time: The combat system is amazing and the enemy variety is great, I´m enjoying a lot learning the enemy attack patterns and finding the best ways to deal with them., as well as learning how to make the best of all the new weapons and devil breakers.

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaaaah I finally made sense of why Yamato splits Vergil but Rebellion doesn't split Dante! Yamato in general separates things - opens portals etc while Rebellion presumably does the opposite; merging the swords into Dante. It actually wasn't as random as I initially thought it was.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Is the qlipoth based of that weird tree in the book? Says it links the human world to the demons

well because V is the emo side of Vergil

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Why does my boy Vergil keep getting his ass whopped? We just want more POWER dammit
This man gets it

2v1 man , shits not fair.

In my headcanon he is the strongest right now. He still had enough power to fight Nero after Dante , while Dante had to take a nap. Nero might have beaten him but thats only after Dante weakened him.

Hot take: I miss Rebellion. D:
Devil Sword Dante looks too weird for my taste, especially the claws at the handle. And I miss him carrying it around on his back instead of summoning it out of nothing.

Is the qlipoth based of that weird tree in the book? Says it links the human world to the demons
I wondered about that one as well. The prequel novel made me think, the story about the tree is foretold in there. As if V was really reading about it in this book and knew about it from there.
On the other hand, they made clear, it is just a book of Blake poetry.
Now the question would be, if it's just a fitting poem Blake once wrote by accident or if they had in mind, Blake had known about demon stuff like that, but nobody never knew his poems had this truth in them.

Oct 27, 2017
Hot take: I miss Rebellion. D:
Devil Sword Dante looks too weird for my taste, especially the claws at the handle. And I miss him carrying it around on his back instead of summoning it out of nothing.

I have the feeling this isn't is final form and it will evolve in future entries. It somehow looks unfinished, like it's freshly taken out of molten lava and the real blade is underneath.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It is? Doesn't he just go "Then I wonder what the Rebellion would do?" and that's it?

well he doesn't spell it out but yeah the implication is 'if the yamato, the sword that divides the human and demon worlds, would divide an individual human and demon, then what would rebellion, the sword that is yamato's opposite, do'

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
It's funny cos Yamato is more fitting for who Dante is (wanting to keep the demon and human worlds separate, not liking his demon half, etc.) with Rebellion being more fitting for who Vergil is (pure power trip, wanting to become more than he is, rebelling against his humanity, etc.), yet their weapons are with the other. It's a fun juxtaposition.

I'd have found it an interesting plot premise had Dante still kept Yamato, learned about its separation ability for himself/Vergil and did it to disastrous consequences seeking to remove his demon half and live a normal life, naively.

I'm just throwing shit at the wall now we have to wait ages for DMC6

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny cos Yamato is more fitting for who Dante is (wanting to keep the demon and human worlds separate, not liking his demon half, etc.) with Rebellion being more fitting for who Vergil is (pure power trip, wanting to become more than he is, rebelling against his humanity, etc.), yet their weapons are with the other. It's a fun juxtaposition.

I'd have found it an interesting plot premise had Dante still kept Yamato, learned about its separation ability for himself/Vergil and did it to disastrous consequences seeking to remove his demon half and live a normal life, naively.

I'm just throwing shit at the wall now we have to wait ages for DMC6
On the other hand Yamato fits in that Vergil is all about his demon half and flat out rejects his human half, while Dante seems pretty cool with both.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I have the feeling this isn't is final form and it will evolve in future entries. It somehow looks unfinished, like it's freshly taken out of molten lava and the real blade is underneath.

Well,that file about Sparda says that his power was split into the three swords(sparda,rebellion and yamato).
So,maybe Vergil needs to fuse Yamato with Dante(the sword) to get the final form.