• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
Now that we got this, I'm officially done with "Badass, wise King Mickey". I really want this series Mickey to act like Mickey Mouse for once and the novelty of "look at that cartoon character doing anime stuff" has long since faded.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Does everyone want games with Yozora as the protag? Kind of hoping we move away from Sora for a bit. Yozora stuff is interesting as hell though.

I don't think Yozora will be a protagonist to be honest. I mean, I've been joking about Nomura recreating VsXIII here and there but I don't legitimately believe that's what's happening at all.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
What did he mean by "But this isn't what I really look like"? When he waked up in the car, he looks the same.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
He also dies in the same poses.

All his moves and items and even fighting arena are very Data like.

🤔

What if Yozora, his crew of characters and his home world is the result of reversed-engineered modding by the Master of Masters?

And for shits and giggles, he programmed hearts into these digital characters to give them the belief that they live regular lives. It'd be a beat parallel to Kingdom Hearts II where Roxas started in Data Twilight Town.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think the thing i find most disappointing about kh3 is that i wanted it to be the satisfying conclusion to nearly 2 decades worth of games and planning, but instead it's more of the same sequel-itis, nested russian doll style, "this was all part of some larger plan" that has been going on with almost every single game since kh2.

they each reveal how the events of the previous game were nothing more than one component of a larger plan that doesn't really make much sense, and this recent yozora stuff and the MoM is just an extension of that. nothing is allowed to just happen, the events that happen all have to be part of some massively convoluted and overwrought "plan" with even higher stakes than every plot that has come before it.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Now that we got this, I'm officially done with "Badass, wise King Mickey". I really want this series Mickey to act like Mickey Mouse for once and the novelty of "look at that cartoon character doing anime stuff" has long since faded.
no go away literally everywhere else he's just regular old mickey, let me keep the one different incarnation
i recognize that im in the minority for being into kh mostly for the disney but i still hope all of you guys who want out of it never get your wish 😩

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Beat the ReMind campaign last night and started Limit Cut. Pretty disappointed that this seems like all there is to the FF characters, but ehh. Not like I was expecting much, I suppose. Leon looks kinda weird. I think it's his hair, it's not anime enough.

Seeing the Guardians fighting side by side against Xehanort's copy thingies was one of the coolest things ever, and I was just overcome with joy the entire time. Hearing Riku and Terra, as well as Roxas and Ven, finally interact was immensely satisfying. Limit Cut providing a little bit more of the former was cool too, though... I don't recall Terra telling Riku to go there? I thought the promise was to protect those that matter to him. Ehh, whichever, it was fun seeing them chat a bit like that. The Wayfinder Trio really ought to teach them more stuff or like, give them armors if possible though.

The new ending with Sora and Kairi watching over everyone was a really nice touch but it kinda just made things even sadder and more painful... Damn you, Nomura. At least they got to spend plenty of time with each other. I loved their reunion and the fight against Xehanort was awesome.
So spin-off teases are:

- Fragmentary passage vol 2 starring Ventus, Terra and Aqua
- Mickey Donald and Goofy going through Disney worlds
- Coded 2 starring Xion and Roxas
- Dream Drop Distance 2 starring Kairi and possibly Riku
- Final Fantasy Versus XIII: Nomura's Revenge

Can't wait for people to come into KHIV totally confused and fans complaining they didn't play five mobile games.
I swear I'm gonna die of sheer joy if these games happen. I love all these characters and I've been worried since beating KH3 that we won't actually get to see that much more of them in the future. I would be so, so, so happy to be wrong about that.

This is maybe an unpopular opinion but I'd really love to get more spin-off games and not just go straight to IV. I love everything about Kingdom Hearts, including the ridiculous amount of "spin-off" games that are 100% relevant to the main plot. Sign me up for more, Nomura.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just curious how the side-games will be handled going forward.
Before they had the DS, PSP and 3DS to allow for smaller experiences. But with dedicated handheld gaming dying out (or fully dead now), they're stuck with consoles and mobile.
Perhaps they can provide scaled-back games going forward? Using KH3 as a template, with alterations to gameplay.
It also depends on what Project Xehanort is going to be, and if Union X is going to keep going too.

Oh man, I'm hyped for the future.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Limit Cut providing a little bit more of the former was cool too, though... I don't recall Terra telling Riku to go there? I thought the promise was to protect those that matter to him. Ehh, whichever, it was fun seeing them chat a bit like that. The Wayfinder Trio really ought to teach them more stuff or like, give them armors if possible though.
He says it when he's performing the Rite of Succession on Riku:

In your hand, take this key. So long as you have the makings, then through this simple act of taking... its wielder you shall one day be. And you will find me, friend-- no ocean will contain you then. No more borders around, or below, or above, so long as you champion the ones you love.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Perhaps they can provide scaled-back games going forward? Using KH3 as a template, with alterations to gameplay.
That's my hope.

I'm fine with some mobile phones (even if I'm most likely not gonna play them), but I'd want these non-mainline, but still important titles to be based on what the Osaka team achieved with KH III. They have an amazing template now with regards to assets, animations, models and gameplay systems, so it would be cool.

It'd also be a good way to explore characters other than Sora now that he's gone. Honestly, the future of the series is quite exciting, I really don't know what Nomura will do.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The appeal of the next spin-offs will be playing as the other characters. I imagine Kairi in a DDD kind of plot, with Axel, Roxas and Xion.

Let Sora rest for a while, Limit gives us the best cliffhanger for that. Save shibuya for KH4.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the main campaign. Man the ending video with dearly beloved playing hit me right in the feels. I love this series.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Grinding is so dumb.... I'll have finished all of the battle gates and still only be at lvl 60 before I start doing this. I shouldn't have to do that

If you're good enough you can do it at lower levels. There's a guy going through on level 52 on critical right now and doing fine. I'm sure people will do it at level 1 eventually. But in general the fights on critical are hard enough that you're going to want every advantage you can get so most do it at 99 on the harder difficulties. This way you can challenge yourself more if you want, but are given the option not to.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Grinding is so dumb.... I'll have finished all of the battle gates and still only be at lvl 60 before I start doing this. I shouldn't have to do that

I mean sure you can do it at lower levels but you're going to end up using hours more time being frustrated at bosses rather than the 1 hour of time you could've taken to bring to 99. It's your choice though

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Well I own KH3 now, as well as the handheld games and the collections on PS4. Meaning I think I have all the games but mobile.

I haven't dug in because it's such an overwhelming amount of games.
Can I just play 3 right now? Should I? Lol

What games are necessary and in what order?!

I want to finally play some KH :)

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Well I own KH3 now, as well as the handheld games and the collections on PS4. Meaning I think I have all the games but mobile.

The collections on PS4 have the games in the proper order with one exception. Play 358/2 after Kingdom Hearts II.

Definitely play the other games before 3.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018

No you shouldn't lol
Play KH1 and KH2 first, find out whether or not you dig it.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
The collections on PS4 have the games in the proper order with one exception. Play 358/2 after Kingdom Hearts II.

Definitely play the other games before 3.
No you shouldn't lol
Play KH1 and KH2 first, find out whether or not you dig it.

Consensus! Lol thanks for the responses. I figured it was probably a bad idea to start with 3. I will turn the first collection and and just start with 1 then. Are all of these games still fun and playable in 2020? Like are some bad enough that I should just watch a recap video or shall I play all of them?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

lol no.

Play KH 1 to see if you're even at all into it.

KH 3 would make 0 sense to you and none of the scenes would mean anything. It'd be like watching Rise of Skywalker first.

Anyways, the order is:

Kingdom Hearts

Re:Chain of Memories

Kingdom Hearts II

358/2 Days (movie)

Birth By Sleep

Re:Coded (movie) (kinda optional) (there's only two scenes there that are important so just watch those)

Dream, Drop Distance

Union Cross (movie)

Kingdom Hearts III

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Consensus! Lol thanks for the responses. I figured it was probably a bad idea to start with 3. I will turn the first collection and and just start with 1 then. Are all of these games still fun and playable in 2020? Like are some bad enough that I should just watch a recap video or shall I play all of them?

You'll feel KH1's age, it is kinda dated, but it's still a fun adventure game in 2020. KH2 has aged like the finest of wines, it has one of the best combat systems ever. Play it on critical mode.

Watch a recap video of Chain of Memories before Kingdom Hearts 2. That game has aged like milk, but it has one of the best stories of the series and has alot of crucial info you'll need to understand the story of KH2.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Play all of them imo

I'd say even play Re:Chain of Memories. The combat system is different but.....some people love it and others hate it. I'd at least tell you to try it for a couple hours and if it's not clicking with you then watch all the scenes of that game on youtube

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Controversial opion:
Watch 358/2 before Kingdom Hearts 2. I think it makes many scenes in 2 (including the opening) hit way way harder if you have the context of 358/2

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Controversial opion:
Watch 358/2 before Kingdom Hearts 2. I think it makes many scenes in 2 (including the opening) hit way way harder if you have the context of 358/2
But doing so you lose out on the intended experience of the KH2 opening. You're meant to be as confused as Roxas. You can get the second experience any time you replay the game, but you can only get that first experience once.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah and it's not just Roxas that playing 358/2 ruins, Riku also has his reveal ruined in 2 if you play it beforehand.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
But doing so you lose out on the intended experience of the KH2 opening. You're meant to be as confused as Roxas. You can get the second experience any time you replay the game, but you can only get that first experience once.
All of the Axel scenes feel so much more earned and impactful. His confusing feelings toward Sora feel so much more real when you understand why. Also the opening of KH2 being re contextualized as an agonizing sacrifice felt much better than "oh this is weird"

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
lol no.

Play KH 1 to see if you're even at all into it.

KH 3 would make 0 sense to you and none of the scenes would mean anything. It'd be like watching Rise of Skywalker first.

Anyways, the order is:

Kingdom Hearts

Re:Chain of Memories

Kingdom Hearts II

358/2 Days (movie)

Birth By Sleep

Re:Coded (movie) (kinda optional) (there's only two scenes there that are important so just watch those)

Dream, Drop Distance

Union Cross (movie)

Kingdom Hearts III
You'll feel KH1's age, it is kinda dated, but it's still a fun adventure game in 2020. KH2 has aged like the finest of wines, it has one of the best combat systems ever. Play it on critical mode.

Watch a recap video of Chain of Memories before Kingdom Hearts 2. That game has aged like milk, but it has one of the best stories of the series and has alot of crucial info you'll need to understand the story of KH2.
Play all of them imo

I'd say even play Re:Chain of Memories. The combat system is different but.....some people love it and others hate it. I'd at least tell you to try it for a couple hours and if it's not clicking with you then watch all the scenes of that game on youtube

ok I am definitely starting with 1 - I'll check it out right now and see what I think. Thanks for the order to play as well. I guess I'll try to play all of them and only stop if I just hate it...which I really don't think will happen. I love Disney, FF, and action RPGs so I'm excited to finally play all of this mess Ive bought over the years.

Last question: I am not "great" at games in general. I'm at the point in life where I'm fine admitting it. I won't bang my head against a wall of difficulty that actually ruins games for me. So I try to play "Normal" in most games and have even used Easy on some in the past year.
Is there a downside in KH games to play on a lower difficulty? I don't want to miss out on features, I just want enough challenge that it isn't brain dead easy but not hard where I'm dying and reloading constantly. From the sound of it, I am want to try easy or normal in these and not the higher ones.

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Last question: I am not "great" at games in general. I'm at the point in life where I'm fine admitting it. I won't bang my head against a wall of difficulty that actually ruins games for me. So I try to play "Normal" in most games and have even used Easy on some in the past year.
Is there a downside in KH games to play on a lower difficulty? I don't want to miss out on features, I just want enough challenge that it isn't brain dead easy but not hard where I'm dying and reloading constantly. From the sound of it, I am want to try easy or normal in these and not the higher ones.

Kingdom Hearts games are generally very easy, you won't have to worry about that. Normal is fine for KH1 since the difficulty curve going from Normal to Proud is pretty drastic. However I would recommend trying out Kingdom Hearts 2 on Critical mode, because of how ridiculously easy it is on other difficulties, like you can get by the entirety of Kingdom Hearts 2 by just mindlessly pressing X and triangle on Standard or Proud. Where as on Critical mode it is a challenge, but it's not anything crazy.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
ok I am definitely starting with 1 - I'll check it out right now and see what I think. Thanks for the order to play as well. I guess I'll try to play all of them and only stop if I just hate it...which I really don't think will happen. I love Disney, FF, and action RPGs so I'm excited to finally play all of this mess Ive bought over the years.

Some of them yes and some of them no

For Kingdom Hearts I, you'll only miss the secret endings if you play on easy.

If you play on Normal, you'll have to gather a bunch of stuff to get it though but it's doable:

If you did just proud/expert mode, these are the requirements:

You can play easy or normal in Re:Chain.

I rec playing Critical Mode in KH II though

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
On an unrelated note, would love for SE and Platinum Games to continue the Epic Mickey games while also making it a canon part of King Mickey's story in KH. The storybook world could easily be Yen Sids experiments into saving worlds that were consumed by the heartless. The Blot is also pretty darn similar to the heartless and Oswald would make the perfect nobody for Mickey.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On an unrelated note, would love for SE and Platinum Games to continue the Epic Mickey games while also making it a canon part of King Mickey's story in KH. The storybook world could easily be Yen Sids experiments into saving worlds that were consumed by the heartless. The Blot is also pretty darn similar to the heartless and Oswald would make the perfect nobody for Mickey.
I don't think Disney would be keen on making Oswald into a Nobody. It would be very fitting tho. Disney is very protective of all its characters.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
I don't think Disney would be keen on making Oswald into a Nobody. It would be very fitting tho. Disney is very protective of all its characters.

True, but they have done little with him. Also literally showing him in the trash:
latest