• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Super armored enemies are only an issue if you can't guard or reflect on reaction while comboing.

I'm ok with the worlds being straightforward in level design. The problem with KH2 for me was that in addition to being linear, they were completely boring to traverse with very little verticality or surprising terrain. KH3 looks to address that complaint thoroughly, but we'll see.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had any problems with combat in games past KH2 and nothing I've seen makes me think I won't enjoy 3's combat.

Reddit Q/A from brother of dude who has an early copy and is 24 hours in
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Q: How's the UI?
A: UI is fine, just as good as KH2. The exclamation points from the journal are back. So that's a downside.

Q: If you were to compare KH3's worlds to 1 and 2, which one is it closest to?
A: It's more similar to Kingdom Hearts 2.

Q: Can you level up the forms (Magic, Power, Guard)? Also, do the forms have separate abilities from Sora?
A: There are no forms so far as we can tell.

Q: Does the game have combo modifiers like KH2? If the answer is yes, how many do you guys have?
A: Yes. We got more counter stuff than anything right now.

Q: Are there enemies that don't stagger?
A: Plenty.

Q: How good is the game so far? (24 hours in)
A: It's alright, I'm not the one playing it though. I touched it for a few minutes and it felt nice.

The person actually playing described the game as "fun as fuck".

Q: Are there KH1 and 2 scenes in KH3?
A: There's a lot of them yes.

Q: How's partner AI?
A: Donald is still a worthless on cure. Goofy is still the best thing since sliced bread.

Q: Aside from fighting Heartless, is there any other stuff you can do?
A: There's plenty of side content.

Q: How long are the worlds?
A: 2.5-3 hours long

Last edited:
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Based on what we saw from the original dude selling the game, there's a part of the intro sequence where you can rewatch scenes from the previous games. I assume that's what he's referring to and not flashbacks during.
He mentions that there's "literal carbon copies" of them so I'm assuming that they're presented as flashbacks throughout the story.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
He said the game runs 60FPS on Xbox but I don't think that's true. He sadi the KH1/KH2 scenes run bad though.
KH3 runs at 60fps on the Xbox One X. It's 60fps on the PS4 Pro too but apparently there's a lot more frame drops. This is based on an earlier build though so you never know. Both consoles struggle when it comes to combat.

0.2 is 60fps on the Pro so it should be all good outside of combat.

Locked to 30fps on base consoles.

Dec 25, 2018
KH3 runs at 60fps on the Xbox One X. It's 60fps on the PS4 Pro too but apparently there's a lot more frame drops. This is based on an earlier build though so you never know. Both consoles struggle when it comes to combat.

0.2 is 60fps on the Pro so it should be all good outside of combat.

Locked to 30fps on base consoles.

I thought the leaker has an Xbox One S?

Dec 25, 2018
The guy responding to posts must have some knowledge about KH because he knows about combo modifiers, staggering, and a few other things. That's at least good.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted but the actual leaker (not the brother) says worlds are between 2.5-3 hours long on average so far (24 hours into the game).
https://www.reddit.com/r/KH3isLife/comments/aa0d6j/comment/eco3n7l

That would mean he's done 7-8 worlds so far. If he's not at the halfway point of the game yet, would it be fair to assume there are anywhere between 16-18 worlds total in the game?
Or he's been doing other things (collecting, grinding levels etc)

Also your gonna be revisiting worlds no doubt

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted but the actual leaker (not the brother) says worlds are between 2.5-3 hours long on average so far (24 hours into the game).
https://www.reddit.com/r/KH3isLife/comments/aa0d6j/comment/eco3n7l

That would mean he's done 7-8 worlds so far. If he's not at the halfway point of the game yet, would it be fair to assume there are anywhere between 16-18 worlds total in the game?

He is bad at the game + Cutscenes+other playable character

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Do we know how many worlds he's been through yet? I know he says they've got 24 hours of gameplay time but in that time we've seen

• Corona
  • Twilight Town
  • Olympus
  • Monstropolis
Didn't he mention something about being given a choice to go to the Toy Box world and Corona?

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Do we know how many worlds he's been through yet? I know he says they've got 24 hours of gameplay time but in that time we've seen

Corona
Twilight Town
Olympus

Didn't he mention something about being given a choice to go to the Toy Box world and Corona?
He confirmed on Twitter last night that he is far past Corona and has completed both Toy Box and Monstropolis as well as some original worlds that he won't say the names of.

notnow0182

Dec 16, 2017

• Corona
  • Twilight Town
  • Olympus
  • Monstropolis

Dark world is after Olympus.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
He confirmed on Twitter last night that he is far past Corona and has completed both Toy Box and Monstropolis as well as some original worlds that he won't say the names of.
Dope.

So in no random order

• Olympus
  • Corona
  • Realm of Darkness
  • Toy Box
  • Monstropolis
  • Twilight Town
  • [unknown number of original worlds]
That it yeah?

Dec 25, 2018
Current List (No more than 3 requests at a time, which he will fill when he's home):

1. Rage Form
  2. Water Magic
  3. Second Form Toy Story/Monster Inc

He said he will put the forge on the list

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
From what we know, yes.
Isn't it a bit weird though? He says he's 24 hours in and not even halfway through yet goes on to state that each world is 2.5-3 hours in length. That would mean he's done 8 worlds so far. I know he isn't beelining the story and doing side stuff as well but that's already ridiculous. Either something's up or there's a fuckton of worlds in this game.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Isn't it a bit weird though? He says he's 24 hours in and not even halfway through yet goes on to state that each world is 2.5-3 hours in length. That would mean he's done 8 worlds so far. I know he isn't beelining the story and doing side stuff as well but that's already ridiculous. Either something's up or there's a fuckton of worlds in this game.
I thought this at first too. But keep in mind KH2 had a total of 14 hours of cutscenes. This game probably has even more.

That 24 hours factors in all of the cutscenes as well as him dying to bosses probably.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Update: Guy is at work right now so we shouldn't expect anything for a few hours
https://www.reddit.com/r/KH3isLife/comments/aa2cne/just_a_quick_history_lesson/

HqvCYFm.png

I thought this at first too. But keep in mind KH2 had a total of 14 hours of cutscenes. This game probably has even more.

That 24 hours factors in all of the cutscenes as well as him dying to bosses probably.
Fairs

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it seems the guy's brother is kind of contradicting himself tbh. First he says the worlds are like KH2 but then also says there's a ton of stuff to do in them, then he says there are "plenty" of enemies that don't stagger and then later can't answer questions about enemies without stagger and many others because they're not far enough into the game.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
So it seems the guy's brother is kind of contradicting himself tbh. First he says the worlds are like KH2 but then also says there's a ton of stuff to do in them, then he says there are "plenty" of enemies that don't stagger and then later can't answer questions about enemies without stagger and many others because they're not far enough into the game.
By the worlds are like KH2, he meant they are more straight forward than KH1 (you know exactly where to go, what to do).

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Brother on how they obtained the copy and why they're doing this:
"I can't say how specifically he got it (I don't know, this kid knows how to hustle) BUT I will say this: we laid down the ground rules early, because I know if someone is going to "arrest us" at least I can say that I have a clear conscience doing it. I refuse to do any spoilers story wise. I waited far too long, and you guys are having to wait longer. That's bullshit. That was the reason for us doing this. Nothing else."

Neufr0

Nov 20, 2017
They probably don't really understand what we mean by stagger.
Well the only thing that we know doesn't stagger is that mob from Monstre inc

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been trying to see if I can find out just how KH3's combat is, and I came across this video uploaded 2 days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-8Ni7VnVXY&t=732s and made some gifs.

Ground Combo to Aerial Finisher 1:
GGtjBvF.gif
Ground Combo to Aerial Finisher 2:
6zO1g6v.gif
Sora Air Slides out of the Aerial Finisher (?):
3v2Yqud.gif
Sora gets hit out of the animation for Hyper Hammer Finisher (fucking lame):
6I119Vm.gif
and for comparison, a gif of a Ground Combo to Aerial Combo to Aerial Finisher from the leaker's gameplay recording:
jem5Qk2.gif

Honestly? It seems to me like the gameplay from the youtube video seems less floaty than the combat in the leaker's video. I might just be tripping but the combat doesn't really seem too floaty.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
So I've been trying to see if I can find out just how KH3's combat is, and I came across this video uploaded 2 days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-8Ni7VnVXY&t=732s and made some gifs.

Ground Combo to Aerial Finisher 1:
GGtjBvF.gif
6zO1g6v.gif
Sora Air Slides out of the Aerial Finisher (?):
3v2Yqud.gif
Sora gets hit out of the animation for Hyper Hammer Finisher (fucking lame):
6I119Vm.gif
and for comparison, a gif of a Ground Combo to Aerial Combo to Aerial Finisher from the leaker's gameplay recording:
jem5Qk2.gif

Honestly? It seems to me like the gameplay from the youtube video seems less floaty than the combat in the leaker's video. I might just be tripping but the combat doesn't really seem too floaty.
Leaker ganeplay and the gameplay you posted look the same to me.

The combat looks less floaty compared to the old builds for sure. I'm not really worried about it tbh

Neufr0

Nov 20, 2017
I think the floatiness is ok.
For ennemies, I hope it's only the new big ennemies of kh3 that don't stagger and the old ones + human bosses are good.

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think after watching those vids I'm not worried about it anymore. Also, if you're able to dodge out of finishers then that would also make enemies with no stagger more bearable.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
It still looks very floaty to me. Especially in this gif, it takes way too long for Sora to touch the ground after the aerial finisher, even though he's pretty close to the ground already when he starts falling. KH2 Sora would have been on the ground much faster:
6zO1g6v.gif

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Man...

You know how everybody hates Dodge Slash in KH2 (rightfully so) ?

KH3 feels like they designed the entire combat to look like Dodge Slash.

Lmfao

At least the leaker's gameplay doesn't have those awful abilities equipped so maybe we can just ignore them for the whole game.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Some more questions from the Reddit Q/A are being answered

Q: Are enemies that don't stagger really common in the game? Or is it mostly bosses?
A: Commonly big enemies and bosses. This isn't to say you can't stagger them. You just gotta find the right move/weakness. There are certain abilities that make certain enemies stagger. Gotta find the right move for right heartless.

Q: What difficulty are you playing on?
A: Proud

Q: I think you've answered before but I couldn't find it. How long are the individual worlds in your experience (hour-wise). Is the flow of the worlds good? Exploration or nah?
A: From what I've seen, each world could probably be done in two hours... this is of course from a person that's trying to look at shit that's on the walls and out in the distance.

Last edited: